Trades and Free Agent Talk - To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Rielly is playing way to much for my liking, he also doesn't seem fit either, if you can trim some minutes from him and get Barrie going at the same time while trying to fix the broken PP it makes sense to give it a try

I agree he's playing too much, but I'd look to cut the 5 v 5 minutes instead.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
His shot looks mediocre at best.

He should never be shooting the puck on the PP.

He's been leading our team in powerplay points the last 2-3 season just under Marner. So whatever he's been doing has been working. Maybe he should shoot more because the others don't want to that much.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Will he? He may not here. But given it's been only 15 ish games his value is not low anyway. No real need to wait.

This team.has been looking to improve its right hand side for years. I just cant see the team cutting loose a guy they just flipped Kadri for.

Barrie has been a well established top 4 guy for years now - last season wasnt a flash in the pan. Liljgren likely isnt ready to immediately step into a top 4 role right away even if hes eventually ready to make the jump by seasons end -hed be looking to get in on the bottom pairing.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He's been leading our team in powerplay points the last 2-3 season just under Marner. So whatever he's been doing has been working. Maybe he should shoot more because the others don't want to that much.
Not surprised he's second to Marner considering they send it back to him and just sends it back to Marner or Matthews. I wonder how many primary assists he has on the PP.

Yeah no, I dont think he should take the least effective shot on the PP more.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Not surprised he's second to Marner considering they send it back to him and just sends it back to Marner or Matthews. I wonder how many primary assists he has on the PP.

Yeah no, I dont think he should take the least effective shot on the PP more.

50% of his assists on the PP were primary assists.

But yeah, all those effective shots we currently do are working out great.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
So you think it'll get better if they take more less effective shots?

Works for other teams. I guess they are less effective shots since we don't really have anyone who'll battle for rebounds or screen a goalie very well.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
This team.has been looking to improve its right hand side for years. I just cant see the team cutting loose a guy they just flipped Kadri for.

Barrie has been a well established top 4 guy for years now - last season wasnt a flash in the pan. Liljgren likely isnt ready to immediately step into a top 4 role right away even if hes eventually ready to make the jump by seasons end -hed be looking to get in on the bottom pairing.

Still the type of player is not someone we require all that much. If we can get someone that fills more of a gap in other areas that's less offensive, think we have to look at that. Certainly we dont just trade him for the sake of it though.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Colin Miller (3.875) + a cap compliant bottom 6 forward (less than 2) or a pick/prospect

for

Tyson Barrie (2.75) + Kasperi Kapanen (3.2)

If we take the pick and call someone up we could run a full 23 man roster and even have room for a salary upgrade for the backup position. It’s a downgrade for sure so the pick/prospect would have to be decent.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So I guess if Marner is out for a while that might change our whole trade/demoting strategy right?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
doubt Dubas was ever going to make a trade.

Are they going to recall or just dress some of the spares? Personally i'd be interested in seeing how a Bracco or Korshkov look in the NHL.

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-JT-Kapanen
Soup-Kerfoot-Moore
Timashov-Gauthier-Korshkov

Shore and Spezza are nice extras but not my first choice to actually play.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Are they going to recall or just dress some of the spares? Personally i'd be interested in seeing how a Bracco or Korshkov look in the NHL.

Hyman-JT-Kapanen
Soup-Kerfoot-Moore

They are likely going to throw Spezza straight onto JT's line.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Hyman-JT-Kapanen
Soup-Kerfoot-Moore

I think we'd all like to see if Korshkov can be as effective as Soupman.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They are likely going to throw Spezza straight onto JT's line.

Seems like a recipe for disaster, Hyman and JT aren't exactly fleet of foot.

I think we'd all like to see if Korshkov can be as effective as Soupman.

100%, I wouldn't even mind putting him net front on the PP, he's a big boy but they haven't even tried Soup there yet.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Seems like a recipe for disaster, Hyman and JT aren't exactly fleet of foot.

100%, I wouldn't even mind putting him net front on the PP, he's a big boy but they haven't even tried Soup there yet.
sadly I doubt he gets a shot right now............

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Trade one of Shore/Spezza/Timashov for a 3rd goalie

Or Petan, who has already cleared waivers.

Leafs could wait for Comrie to hit waivers too, but Winnipeg likely just claims him back. IDK if they can send him down right away, but they'd likely give him a shot over Brossoit anyways.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Works for other teams. I guess they are less effective shots since we don't really have anyone who'll battle for rebounds or screen a goalie very well.
It doesn't really. Teams that rely on point shots on the PP generally doesn't do well, and that's with better shooters than Rielly.

It's quite telling that Montreals PP has actually been better without Weber on it because then they work themselves into better scoring rather than have him blast away from the point. And he's got the best point shot in the last 15 years.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It doesn't really. Teams that rely on point shots on the PP generally doesn't do well, and that's with better shooters than Rielly.

It's quite telling that Montreals PP has actually been better without Weber on it because then they work themselves into better scoring rather than have him blast away from the point. And he's got the best point shot in the last 15 years.

Subban was a bit lower and he was plugged in towards the left face off circle as a one time option.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
PP1

Soup (in front of the net)

Nylander Tavares Matthews

Barrie

PP2

Korshkov (in front of the net)

Kerfoot Kapanen Johnsson

Rielly

Why has Tavares been taken away from the net front? It's a question for McFarland as well, but with how good his hands are for deflections and cleaning up rebounds/lose pucks he should be put back there.

Functionally I know what they're trying to with Tavares at the bumper, but his skills are best used elsewhere IMO.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

That's because Montreal literally just passes the puck to Weber for a point shot so it's easy to predict. Little more unpredictable when he's not on it. If they changed it up and didn't force him the puck every time they have the puck then it wouldn't be as bad. Weber also needs to be more disciplined and pass up a shot too once in a while. He did score 2 PP goals last night though.

Reactions: rumman

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Or Petan, who has already cleared waivers.

Leafs could wait for Comrie to hit waivers too, but Winnipeg likely just claims him back. IDK if they can send him down right away, but they'd likely give him a shot over Brossoit anyways.

They most likely keep Petan for that exact reason. They are going to have to put one of Spezza, Shore or Timashov on waivers so might as well get something for them from someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad