Trades and Free Agent Talk -- The calm before the storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Alex Kerfoot for Colin Miller

I think Miller would be available for next to nothing. The contract and the possibility he may only be effective in the LV system make him a non starter. They don't have enough bad money under contract to send back to the Sabres to mitigate the risk. This year may be a glitch but he has 2 more years on his $3.875 so horrible if it isn't.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I wonder if Dermott is an offseason trade chip, especially if Muzzin is kept.

He hasn't developed to what I thought he would be so far, and next year would be blocked at LHD, either by Muzzin or Sandin. Unless he wants to play the right side, his value might be in trade vs the Leafs value.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I’m thinking we’ll see a couple of deals.

A smaller one...

Bracco + Timashov + Hutchinson

For

Dillon + Dell

Then....

Targeting either Manson, Larsson, Dumba, Martinez, Petry. (All with term)

With the likes of Johnsson, Kapanen potentially being available.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Can we have some real intel on Josh Manson?

He seems like one of those guys who was momentarily linked to the Leafs a few years back and people think of him as this stud defenseman due to his big hits, defensive reputation and that one year of offensive production a few years ago. But for people on the West Coast in the know, hasn't his game regressed in a major way? He's 28, on an expensive contract and has a stats line that reads like his teammate Erik Gudbranson, who is actually younger and slightly cheaper. My instinct says this is a lemon and not worth the investment.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015

He seems like one of those guys who was momentarily linked to the Leafs a few years back and people think of him as this stud defenseman due to his big hits, defensive reputation and that one year of offensive production a few years ago. But for people on the West Coast in the know, hasn't his game regressed in a major way? He's 28, on an expensive contract and has a stats line that reads like his teammate Erik Gudbranson, who is actually younger and slightly cheaper. My instinct says this is a lemon and not worth the investment.
Your instinct is right and he was a bad guy to go after when he did have his career year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I haven't seen a strong link between the Ducks and the Leafs. The big problem is it feels like we're not good trading partners since I think they want to rebuild more than retool and I'm not sure we have the future assets to make it work unless we start to include a prospect like Liljegren.

Manson is putting up pretty average numbers, both in points and in possession underlying numbers. Like you said, he's got very similar numbers to Gudbranson and actually has less 5 on 5 TOI/G than Gudbranson. With that said, Manson has much better possession numbers than Gudbranson over the years. So he's capable of playing a whole lot better, so there's reason to believe "buying low" could be good here.

I think Manson would fit that Muzzin RHD skill set. His contract is pretty fair and affordable. The problem is that people around here seem to completely over value him and are almost willing to give MORE than what Dubas gave up for Muzzin who is by far the better player.

Reactions: TheShape

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I haven't seen a strong link between the Ducks and the Leafs. The big problem is it feels like we're not good trading partners since I think they want to rebuild more than retool and I'm not sure we have the future assets to make it work unless we start to include a prospect like Liljegren.

Manson is putting up pretty average numbers, both in points and in possession underlying numbers. Like you said, he's got very similar numbers to Gudbranson and actually has less 5 on 5 TOI/G than Gudbranson. With that said, Manson has much better possession numbers than Gudbranson over the years. So he's capable of playing a whole lot better, so there's reason to believe "buying low" could be good here.

I think Manson would fit that Muzzin RHD skill set. His contract is pretty fair and affordable. The problem is that people around here seem to completely over value him and are almost willing to give MORE than what Dubas gave up for Muzzin who is by far the better player.

That's my problem with him. He seems like a yard sale pick up but the asking price is closer to the price of the house.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd like a more defensively advanced player on the third line. Kerfoot is solid but he's a tweener. Not a top six forward in my opinion.

As the third line center he isn't supposed to be a top 6 forward...

But I do agree with your point. Ideally we have a 6'4" defensive center who can wear down the opposition. I guess that would be a meaner, smarter, faster and better Freddy Gauthier.

Reactions: Duffman955

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I wonder about the possibility of Calgary being interested in a Barrie-for-Hamonic (or Brodie) swap. Calgary is one of the lowest scoring teams in the league -- I believe only 6 teams have scored fewer goals -- and a trade like this for two players on expiring contracts could benefit both teams and carries very little risk.

Calgary can go:
Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Barrie

Toronto can roll:
Rielly - Hamonic
Muzzin - Holl

Reactions: Nylander88

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if Dermott is an offseason trade chip, especially if Muzzin is kept.

He hasn't developed to what I thought he would be so far, and next year would be blocked at LHD, either by Muzzin or Sandin. Unless he wants to play the right side, his value might be in trade vs the Leafs value.

I'm not going to assume Sandin beats out Dermott as LHD anything just to give up on a young cost controlled asset just to realize that maybe we didn't keep the right guy when we should have.

I would however trade Dermott along with a surplus skill forward for a Noah Hanifin or something, a guy with a good skillset and same age but better size and upside.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder about the possibility of Calgary being interested in a Barrie-for-Hamonic (or Brodie) swap. Calgary is one of the lowest scoring teams in the league -- I believe only 6 teams have scored fewer goals -- and a trade like this for two players on expiring contracts could benefit both teams and carries very little risk.

Calgary can go:
Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Barrie

Toronto can roll:
Rielly - Hamonic
Muzzin - Holl

I would be interested in Hanifin over Brodie or Hamonic.

Reactions: Duffman955

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I would be interested in Dylan DeMelo. He's a stay at home RHD and seems to have gained traction as a reliable defensive option every year.
I would be interested too. The only problem is that he's a UFA this summer. He is from London though. I wonder if he would extend with the Leafs due to the location factor.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would be interested too. The only problem is that he's a UFA this summer. He is from London though. I wonder if he would extend with the Leafs due to the location factor.

Maybe we just sign him for next year as part of that new and improved blueline.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I would be interested in Hanifin over Brodie or Hamonic.

I am not sure what you get with any of those three. Hanifin has the most long term upside but he is left shot, isn't earning his long term deal this season, and really only has last year and his draft position to recommend him. He wouldn't be on my list to commit that much cap to with the Leaf's situation. Not overly offensive and not overly physical and of the three definitely the most costly to acquire. What does adding another left shot D man mean for this season? Third pairing or trying to force Muzzin down to the third pair and then they don't resign Muzzin.

Hamonic is overrated but he does play the right side, is having a little better year than Hanifin or Brodie, and has no long term financial commitment attached. Brodie doesn't seem to play well away from Gio and this year just not well at all and his minutes have been cut, but again no long term financial commitment.

I would still sooner have Hamo or Brodie than a dwinger like Barrie. Brodie's best years have been playing beside an all star left shot PMD so there is at least a chance he complements Rielly's game.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Maybe we just sign him for next year as part of that new and improved blueline.

If he is actually a 20:00 a night player that would be really interesting. I am not sure he would sign for what the Leafs would want to pay a third pairing guy but he won't be looking at $4.5M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad