Trades and Free Agent Talk -- The calm before the storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
A NTC doesn’t need to be protected, only NMC. Canes will protect Pesce over Gardiner. Also, Hamilton will be a UFA so it’s not a guarantee he’s protected (unless he’s re-signed beforehand
NTC still has to be included in your 3 dman unless they are traded

horner

May 22, 2007
A NTC doesn’t need to be protected, only NMC. Canes will protect Pesce over Gardiner. Also, Hamilton will be a UFA so it’s not a guarantee he’s protected (unless he’s re-signed beforehand
NTC still has to be included in your 3 dman unless they are traded.
They will need to trade Gardner to not lose another player

horner

May 22, 2007
Hamilton I would think would be resigned if not we should.

Sundin92

Jan 25, 2020
Bring in some checking forwards. Dmen are too expensive and should be a problem fixed and looked at in the depth in the off-season.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Chris Kreider, Rangers not negotiating contract as trade deadline looms - Sportsnet.ca
ST. LOUIS – The New York Rangers and Chris Kreider are not negotiating a contract extension, the forward says.

With only a month to go before the NHL’s trade deadline, the Rangers sliding down the standings, and Kreider an impending unrestricted free agent with high value on the rental market, the lack of negotiations is significant.

Kreider’s contract carries a $4.625-million cap hit but $4 million in actual salary this season. His deal includes a modified no-trade clause that allows him to nix a deal to 11 teams.
Kreider maintains that swirling trade rumours and the uncertainty of his future with the club that drafted him back in 2009 hasn’t affected him this season.
Still, the Rangers (23-21-4) dropped two games before the break and sit 11 points out of a wild-card spot.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman has named the Colorado Avalanche, Boston Bruins, St. Louis Blues and Pittsburgh Penguins among the clubs interested in Kreider should he be made available.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
NTC still has to be included in your 3 dman unless they are traded.
They will need to trade Gardner to not lose another player
That is incorrect. The last expansion draft, A Player with a NMC needed to be protected. A player with a NTC did not need to be protected. The same rules apply to this draft as did to the Vegas draft, so players with a NTC will not need to be protected, thus Gardiner will not need to be protected.

Read about NMC protection here:

Expansion Draft: Full Rules

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hamilton I would think would be resigned if not we should.
He should, but it depends on his price. Also, if he is not re-signed, Seattle will get a chance to sign him before July 1st and before any other team can talk to him (like Vegas got to do with Free Agents last expansion draft).

Teams can play games with that. For instance, leave Hamilton unsigned and don’t waste a protection spot on him. If he’s planning on re-signing with Carolina, then the Canes can negotiate a deal, but not officially re-sign him until after the expansion draft so they don’t waste a protection slot. If he’s not planning on re-signing in Carolina and Seattle signs him in the early period before the expansion draft, then that would count as the one player Seattle gets to choose from Carolina and they lose nobody else.

read about it here: The Curious Role Of UFAs In The Expansion Draft - SinBin.vegas

He’s likely going to get paid $8m+ Long term, so even if Seattle and Carolina don’t sign him, I’m not sure how the Leafs are going to fit him in.

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
With the expansion draft coming up , should be a great time to rebuild our defense.
Colorado
Protected
Makar , Johnson NTC and Girard
Available
Zadorov RFA, Graves, Cole

Carolina
Protected
Slavin, Hamilton, Gardner NTC
Available
Pearce, Fleury, Bean

Minnesota
Protected
Suter NTC, Spurgeon NTC, Dumba
Available
Brodin
Just a couple of teams that should be ready to deal this Summer

I think COL keeps Graves but Zadorov is sitting out there and depending on what happens with Muzzin could be a solid 2LD pickup.

I dont know how much of an upgrade Fleury or Bean would be on what we have now. Size is nice in Fleury.

I think Brodin gets traded before the draft.

I also think Evan Bouchard would be a great grab right now filling a bottom pair role this year, and skys the limit in years ahead.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Gotta love the trade talk on the main boards. Nylander name hasn’t come up yet in any rumour this year, yet every trade proposal by other teams involving the leafs is about him. This guy isn’t available period, trading him won’t make us better. Kappy is the most value trade option we have and it is most likely that involve a defenceman with term.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A lot of teams, if not all teams, had their scouting meetings during the break. I think this is where things will heat up for a few teams in terms of rumours and that should result in trades.

I don't suspect the Leafs to get involved for another 2 weeks or so. The next couple weeks will be pretty important in their dead line plans.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Gotta love the trade talk on the main boards. Nylander name hasn’t come up yet in any rumour this year, yet every trade proposal by other teams involving the leafs is about him. This guy isn’t available period, trading him won’t make us better. Kappy is the most value trade option we have and it is most likely that involve a defenceman with term.

We see this with every player who's doing well - other teams suddenly want them. Conversely. when they're struggling of having an off year, it seems you can't give them away. Agreed though - Nylander cannot be on the table at this point.

A lot of teams, if not all teams, had their scouting meetings during the break. I think this is where things will heat up for a few teams in terms of rumours and that should result in trades.

I don't suspect the Leafs to get involved for another 2 weeks or so. The next couple weeks will be pretty important in their dead line plans.

I agree - next 5-7 games we could be virtually out of the playoff race. They'll wait until closer to, though the UFA names may not be available then.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Barrie has been abysmal and actually worse than Ceci overall....but people obviously dont wanna have that discussion.

I know every proposal in here has Ceci in it...but I want to personally trade Barrie first and get something in return for him. His name still has value around the league.

We 100% lost the Kadri trade. WOuld suck to see Barrie leave for nothing

100% agree.

Hated that we wasted Kadri for Barrie. Barrie was never on my wish list and he’s been worse than I anticipated.

He just isn’t what we needed, and Kadri was a prime asset that was squandered in this trade.

Now my best case scenario is trading Barrie at the TDL for a 1st and a prospect.

We aren’t winning the Stanley Cup this year, and letting Barrie walk to UFA for nothing back would just be plain stupid.

While we can’t win the Kadri trade, we can at least try to salvage it.

Reactions: OVO16

horner

May 22, 2007
AJ plus Dermott

for Manson,Ritchie,Comtois

Kerfoot, Barrie, Bracco

Nurse, Khaira, Benson
Would do the first one in a heartbeat
Would love Comtois

I don't think Edmonton gives up Nurse
Unless you take out kerfoot and and Kappy
Kappy, Barrie and bracco

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Just a reminder to some posters, kerfoot was part of the trade for kadri. Barrie came with a 2million cap hit and Kadri was never going to excel in a third line roll. What he's doing for Colorado he wouldn't be doing for us.

Trading barrie isnt going to give us what we need most, cap space. Ceci would, only problem is we will have to pay for that. If Dubas can find a taker I believe we'll see a bigger deal happen involving Kappy and a RHD. This puts Barrie on a third pairing with Dermot where he'll excel. Having guys in the line up where they belong is the key for our success.

Reilly RHD
Muzzin Holl
Dermot Barrie

I could see moving Dermot along with Kappy if that's what moves the needle on a top pairing guy. Sandin slides in and we look just as good. Next year Barrie walks, lilly fills his place and we look pretty good for the future.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

It'll be interesting to see how much they tear down if they go south in the standings coming out of the break..that conditional pick is a tricky situation too (not that I think Dubas is worrying about it, more from a fan pov).

horner

May 22, 2007
If we come out flat from this break and are 8 points out at the TDL then we need to get set up for next yr.
Trade all ufas

Defence needs to o be fixed
A top quality backup
Hope we drop into a top t
Maybe win the lottery and draft Lafreniere
Then we have major trade options.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
INSIDER TRADING: Ducks GM Bob Murray wants to be busy before trade deadline

League executives insist the Ducks, preparing for a full rebuild, want to be busy at the deadline and they’re open to just about any possibility, including taking bad contracts in exchange for prospects and picks. The belief is Murray isn’t willing to trade just anybody on his roster, but he’s certainly open for talks on several fronts.

The New York Rangers have a deadline decision looming on Chris Kreider, who has 17 goals and 32 points in 48 games. He’s making $4.525 million in the final year of his contract, and GM Jeff Gorton has to determine if he’s going to move the winger or sign him to an extension. The word is the Rangers are playing both sides of the fence with Kreider and aren’t sure which way to go. He told reporters in St. Louis on Thursday the two sides aren’t having any contract discussions, but maybe that’s because the organization hasn’t made a final decision. There are a lot of teams looking for help up front and the belief is the Boston Bruins would make a hard push for Kreider if the decision is made to deal him. Teams believe this will be a last-minute deal because Gorton isn’t in a hurry. … The Bruins aren’t the only team looking for scoring help; the Calgary Flames, Arizona Coyotes and St. Louis Blues would all like to add forward depth before the post-season. One option for all the teams involved would be Los Angeles Kings forward Tyler Toffoli because there’s a good chance the UFA will get moved and his name has been out there all season.

Not sure how many teams have shown interest — there’s no shortage of them looking for defenceman — but San Jose’s Brenden Dillon may be an option. After getting the backing of ownership last week to right the ship, Sharks GM Doug Wilson is determined to make deals and his mandate is get draft picks in return. Somebody should call Wilson and offer him a first-round pick, which would help the rebuilding job he needs to do because the Sharks’ 2020 first-round selection was sent to Ottawa as part of the Erik Karlsson deal. … The Kings are looking to move blueliner Alec Martinez. He has one year left with a cap hit of $4 million so that won’t be an easy task for GM Rob Blake. … Interim Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald has posted the “For Sale” sign and is looking to move the club’s UFAs, including defencemen Andy Greene and Sami Vatanen, along with forward Wayne Simmonds. Forward Kyle Palmieri was placed on injured reserve before the break, but league executives say his name is out there as well. According to CapFriendly, he has a modified no-trade clause with an eight-team list so he has some control over where he’s headed if the Devils go that route.

Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon has been scouring the marketplace for a blueliner and a backup goalie to help the club get to the post-season. There’s some talk the Panthers have an interest in Ottawa defenceman Dylan DeMelo. He’s a UFA on July 1 and there’s no certainty that he’s going to be signed. Not sure what the asking price would be and the word is the Carolina Hurricanes may also be looking at DeMelo as an option.A league executive noted Saturday that if the Senators do put centre Jean-Gabriel Pageau on the market before the deadline there will be no shortage of interest. The expectation is the club will have discussions with Pageau, an unrestricted free agent on July 1, to see what he’d like on a new deal and then make a decision. A proven playoff performer and a perfect third-line centre/penalty killer for any team headed to the post-season, the belief is in excess of 15 teams will show interest in Pageau. Anybody going to the playoffs is going to kick the tires because he knows his role and plays the right way. The belief is if GM Pierre Dorion decides to move Pageau, the asking price will be a first-round pick and a prospect. … Islanders GM Lou Lamoriello has been calling around looking for a defenceman and so has Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff in recent weeks.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

Pretty important for shanny on down
Missing the playoffs will not sit good with the board
Especially tannenbaum who has that raptors ring
Wont be pretty if the leafs are outside playoffs at the deadline
Can u trust dubas to lead a war room

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
So is the consensus here that the Leafs could potentially be buyers or sellers this year - and it depends on the next few games after the Trade Deadline?

Also, gotta think Leafs should keep Bracco.

Wow... I have not posted in 5 years haha.

DOnt see why. We have enough small forwards as it is. He won't be making our roster any time soon.

Reactions: justafan22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad