Trades and Free Agent Talk -- Look for smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
We need someone with some muscle like Polak

Manson is one of the best hitters in the league and can handle his own against all nhl goons. He’s basically a younger less ogre-looking Polak...People can stop looking, this is the guy we need. The big question is whether they will deal him to us.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If Kapanen lands Dumba 1 for 1, that trade was done yesterday.

In no world is a middle 6 winger worth a top 3 RHD in his prime

Man you people love Dumba

He's a more expensive than Rielly, is worse offensively than Rielly, he defends like Rielly (which isn't a good thing)

I've already watched enough bad defensive players to last a lifetime, I'm not keen on bringing another train wreck in because he shoots right and has a great shot

We need somebody that can suppress shots and high danger chances, not name recognition

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Well, yes sir.

I know the player.
I’m wondering how all of a sudden he provides something that almost no one else in the league can provide.

That’s where I’m confused. Seems pretty obvious what he brings that’s hard to find. Would you rather have a much lower quality player like him in Larrson? Maybe keep Ceci? Nah.

He brings everything we sorely lack. Grit, hits like a truck, defensive competence, fighting ability, 40 point potential, crease clearing/cycle stopping, leadership and a good contract with term.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Probably his Norris trophies?

Or his Rod Langway Award?

Rod Langway Award - to the defenceman who best excels in the defensive aspect of the game.
1. Jaccob Slavin, Carolina Hurricanes
2. Alex Pietrangelo, St. Louis Blues
3. Jared Spurgeon, Minnesota Wild

We’re sure all over the place today aren’t we.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
What exactly does he provide that almost no other player in the league provides?
That’s an entree sized portion of hyperbole.

Do you watch hockey besides just the Leafs? There is essentially not another player in the league who combines being a RHD, defensive ability (while playing against highest QoC) along with an extreme physical playing style. Muzzin is easily Toronto's best defensive player and most physical player - Manson is better defensively and a better hitter (and a better fighter) - but he does lack Muzzin's offensive element.

There is no playoff hopeful team that needs Manson more than Toronto. He brings everything Toronto lacks, while, for instance, Dumba brings almost none of that.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I stay away from Manson. Most likely would cost too much for a guy I don't feel is a legit top-pairing guy. I feel similar about Dumba (barring a trade like Johnsson+Dermott getting it done).

Some guys I'd be targeting that are not on playoff teams:

Top-pairing guys:
Jeff Petry

Top-4 guys:
Connor Murphy
Damon Severson
Dylan DeMelo

Top-6 high impact guys:
Adam Fox
Colin Miller

Petry might be our best defenseman if we could acquire him.

Murphy, DeMelo, and Severson are all underrated with good impacts both offensively and defensively- most likely they are relatively cheap (compared to the Dumbas/Mansons) with similar levels of impact.

Fox is having a star season on the 3rd pair, the Rangers are dumb, and he's blocked by Trouba and ADA (who I really dont want on the Leafs). Colin Miller is having a rough season on Buffalo, but he was great on Boston & VGK for years. I assume it's just like everything else in Buffalo- it sucks. In the right scenario the guy has top-4 impact written all over him.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
While like many I'd like Manson, also don't think I'd include Lilly in package for him. (& is he fully back from his injury? - saw Ducks post that said his skating wasn't)

But if Oilers are really high on Kappy, Larsson would seem more doable. & if so, throw in Marincin as a freebee just for laughs.

Manson may not be fully recovered from injury - but if not he is close. Larsson probably isn't fully recovered from injury right now either.

Reactions: Northofyu

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I stay away from Manson. Most likely would cost too much for a guy I don't feel is a legit top-pairing guy. I feel similar about Dumba (barring a trade like Johnsson+Dermott getting it done).

Top-pairing guys:
Jeff Petry

Top-4 guys:
Connor Murphy
Damon Severson
Dylan DeMelo

Top-6 high impact guys:
Adam Fox
Colin Miller

Murphy, DeMelo, and Severson are all underrated with good impacts both offensively and defensively- most likely they are relatively cheap (compared to the Dumbas/Mansons) with similar levels of impact.

Fox is having a star season on the 3rd pair, the Rangers are dumb, and he's blocked by Trouba and ADA (who I really dont want on the Leafs). Colin Miller is having a rough season on Buffalo, but he was great on Boston & VGK for years. I assume it's just like everything else in Buffalo- it sucks. In the right scenario the guy has top-4 impact written all over him.

DeMelo is the obvious guy to get on that list

If you like him after you aquire him he may be somebody you could resign to something that makes some sense from a Leafs cap perspective as well

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Top-pairing guys:
Jeff Petry

Top-4 guys:
Connor Murphy
Damon Severson
Dylan DeMelo

Top-6 high impact guys:
Adam Fox
Colin Miller

Would love Petry but I feel he'd cost just as much if not more than Manson because he plays on MTL. If we got Manson I think a top 4 of Muzzin-Barrie and Rielly-Manson is pretty good imo with Sandin and hopefully Liljegren or someone acquired in a trade

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Top-pairing guys:
Jeff Petry

Top-4 guys:
Connor Murphy
Damon Severson
Dylan DeMelo

Top-6 high impact guys:
Adam Fox
Colin Miller

I would go after Demelo and Severson over Manson and Larsson for sure. Always liked Severson and Demelo like others have said could be a cheap option to re-sign as well. If he's our 7th next year the D should be great.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Man you people love Dumba

He's a more expensive than Rielly, is worse offensively than Rielly, he defends like Rielly (which isn't a good thing)

I've already watched enough bad defensive players to last a lifetime, I'm not keen on bringing another train wreck in because he shoots right and has a great shot

We need somebody that can suppress shots and high danger chances, not name recognition

Hes still worth more then Kapanen, despite all of that.

I dont even particularly like him.

Reactions: Menzinger

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It's hilarious that people think Murphy or Severson could be acquired - and for cheap. Demelo, sure, but he is UFA this summer, and he is not someone who will solve the partner for Rielly problem, even in the short term.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Hes still worth more then Kapanen, despite all of that.

I dont even particularly like him.

We can talk pure value but if we acquired him I'd be looking to trade him for somebody else the same day we got him

That's why I wouldn't trade Kapanen for him, I wouldn't want to be stuck with him if he isn't valued as highly around the league as people on here seem to value him

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dreger is on over drive and when he jokingly said to Rangers GM Gorton, how about Sandin for Georgev? Gorton said "not enough".

:eek:

Reactions: Kiwi

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Manson may actually be better defensively than Muzz, he’s younger, more mobile, good contract with some term and would still probably get 30-40 points on a team like ours. You can never have enough Muzzins on the backend. He would be a perfect fit. Just a bonus that he’s a great hitter and decent fighter. The guy oozes character. Also shouldn’t cost us a lot. Would be hard to part with Lily though, I agree. Hopefully they can get it done using another player.
He can definitely check some boxes but I would not part with Liljegren who can be here for another 15 years.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Dreger is on over drive and when he jokingly said to Rangers GM Gorton, how about Sandin for Georgev? Gorton said "not enough".

Sweet, I don't have to worry about overpaying to acquire him now

At least we know it's not just posters on hfboards who overvalue their assets :laugh:

I wish the Rangers the best of luck with this one

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Would love Petry but I feel he'd cost just as much if not more than Manson because he plays on MTL. If we got Manson I think a top 4 of Muzzin-Barrie and Rielly-Manson is pretty good imo with Sandin and hopefully Liljegren or someone acquired in a trade

Also, Montreal would be wise not to add to a divisional rival as they would still have play him next him next year as well.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Manson is one of the best hitters in the league and can handle his own against all nhl goons. He’s basically a younger less ogre-looking Polak...People can stop looking, this is the guy we need. The big question is whether they will deal him to us.
They have no interest in moving him.

and may I ask which NHL goons should we be afraid of playing against our top players? We really need to stop wanting players just because they're big and hit stuff.

They need to be good in other areas as well and Manson hasn't been good for two years now.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

There was an Athletic article the other day (by Custance?) asking NHL agents for their opinions. One or two painted Gorton as a difficult guy to work with.

Goaltending controversies always blow up in the face of the hoarding GM. I don't understand why Gorton thinks he has the upper hand. Lundqvist will not waive and Shestyorkin will not go back to Hartford for several thousand next season when he can go to Moscow or St. Petersburg for several million.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'd love to acquire manson, just seems like a good fit. I've mentioned in past and a nice one would be manson and ritchie for johnson, barrie and a prospect (bracco). Would like to see bracco In nhl for 1 or 2 games first just to see.

I think Josh anderson would be a good try, if excels that would make room for a kappy trade for big upgrade at D.

Sam bennet I think would be great too for his versatility and would fit the core well.

I'm scared nothing will be done due to the dream of peiteangelo or another free ufa so we don't have to give up anything to upgrade.

I'd even try Alex Martinez and maybe allow muzzin to walk if his demans are too high.

And home Campbell would be my target for nets. Don't know him much but consensus is hes a very good back up, prob not too expensive and I'm mostly looking at his contract, 1 year past freddy ufa and we can always trade him in his final year to recoup what we would offer for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad