Trades and Free Agent Talk -- Look for smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'm a Dermott fan, but this might be a good time to cash in the value he would have. Young defenceman who hasn't broken out with good potential. He would be a good piece to include for a defender

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Las Vegas - Toronto : Tyson Barrie for William Carrier + 2nd

The 2nd being the key here. Anything back for Barrie before he inevitably walks in the off-season

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
Please explain. Are you just basing of 1 season?

Manson is still recovering from an injury and playing on a trash ducks team. DOnt take this year into account

I mean, I'm certainly weighing this season disproportionately for Murphy, but even if we assume his offensive game didn't blossom (in terms of generating team chances while on the ice), and that this is simply a fluke year, he's essentially Manson (with respect to defensive outcome) anyway.

I actually really like Manson, despite some less than flattering comments from others in this thread. He's exceptional defensively (even this year), and he faces difficult competition while receiving minimal offensive zone starts. My contention is that Murphy, similarly, faces exceptionally difficult usage, and has performed very well both offensively and defensively (while Manson is essentially an offensive black hole).

I guess it depends on what one believes the Leafs need. I want a defenseman who drives play at even-strength, and limits chances against. I don't believe the Leafs are in need of a high-scoring defenseman (or one that is even capable of it, frankly), but they do need a defenseman who can transition the puck up the ice; Murphy does that better than Manson.

I have absolutely no interest in Dumba. Maybe he finds his game again, but even if he does, he's not the type of defenseman the Leafs should be interested in. If he doesn't? He'll make Ceci look good.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Salvage the Kadri trade and trade Barrie while his name still holds value around the league.

Losing him for nothing in the Off-season is gonna make me hate the trade even more than I do already

The Kadri trade is done, theres no point looking back now and we're certainly not going to start selling, we're a win now team

You may as well just accept it

Reactions: kb and SAMCRO44

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Trading Barrie wouldnt be selling.
The Kadri trade is done, theres no point looking back now and we're certainly not going to start selling, we're a win now team

You may as well just accept it

It would be an addition by subtraction and better accumulation of assets.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

you are planning on getting a better d than Barrie for the run? In a barrie trade?

Reactions: Schooner

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
you are planning on getting a better d than Barrie for the run? In a barrie trade?

Where the hell did I say that? Trade Barrie for a 1st/2nd pick and maybe a depth player and have Sandin/Liljegren take over. Thats a win in all regards.

Barrie is abysmal in his own end and Sandin has already proved to be better so far. Barrie's only talent is offensively...and even thats something he hasnt been able to provide. If he not providing offense...what's he even doing on the ice?

Besides...offense isnt an issue for us. We need a more more defensive-minded D-man with good offensive instincts

Reactions: supermann_98

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
If Kappy brings us back a top 4 young RHD with term I’d trade Barrie or Ceci for futures in a country minute and bring up Liljegren to play the 3rd pairing sheltered minutes.

I just don’t feel comfortable with Barrie out there, makes me nervous whenever the other team has the puck, and does he QB the PP any better than Sandin? So far, no he does not

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
I'm a Dermott fan, but this might be a good time to cash in the value he would have. Young defenceman who hasn't broken out with good potential. He would be a good piece to include for a defender

I agree, assuming that they are going to extend Muzzin. Mo, Muzzin and Sandin on the left side. Holl with Muzzin and Liljegren with Sandin on the third pair. Use Dermott and Johnsson to go get a RHD who can play the Leafs up tempo style but who’s priority is the D zone. As much as I want the D to be mobile and able to handle the puck, they still need guys who can protect the house and kill penalties.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Las Vegas - Toronto : Tyson Barrie for William Carrier + 2nd

The 2nd being the key here. Anything back for Barrie before he inevitably walks in the off-season
So trading a top 4 defensemen in Barrie right before the playoffs for a depth winger that plays 9 minutes a night, has 5 goals this year and can easily be replaced by one of our guys and a 2nd will make you feel better about the Kadri trade?

The only way I move Barrie is if we either upgrade significantly in his role, or a team wants to overpay us dramatically (ex. Winnipeg if they get desperate).

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So trading a top 4 defensemen in Barrie right before the playoffs for a depth winger that plays 9 minutes a night, has 5 goals this year and can easily be replaced by one of our guys and a 2nd will make you feel better about the Kadri trade?

The only way I move Barrie is if we either upgrade significantly in his role, or a team wants to overpay us dramatically (ex. Winnipeg if they get desperate).
I know Barrie's stats is are not what Leafs fans thought they would be seeing from him, however that's no reason to trade him just because you think Dubas made a mistake acquiring him for Kadri. If the Leafs never had Barrie chances are they never win this game since he was apart of the comeback.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

It's selling

Barrie for all his faults is still an offensive force in our top 4, there is no way getting rid of him is addition by subtraction

Just use him correctly and put him in a situation to succeed, which will now happen since Muzzin and Holl will be taking tough matchups again

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Just use him correctly and put him in a situation to succeed, which will now happen since Muzzin and Holl will be taking tough matchups again
The best example of that is what Sheldon Keefe did in his first game as the head coach when he scored his first goal as a Leaf and scored the next game against Colorado, where as with Mike Babcock he was not playing him correctly or giving him anytime on the #1 power play line.

Reactions: Kiwi

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Where the hell did I say that? Trade Barrie for a 1st/2nd pick and maybe a depth player and have Sandin/Liljegren take over. Thats a win in all regards.

Barrie is abysmal in his own end and Sandin has already proved to be better so far. Barrie's only talent is offensively...and even thats something he hasnt been able to provide. If he not providing offense...what's he even doing on the ice?

Besides...offense isnt an issue for us. We need a more more defensive-minded D-man with good offensive instincts

???

Trading a known established player for a pick is selling. That’s the definition of selling.

Our D is not good enough. So you want to sell a D for futures while trying to compete and run rookies?

that’s selling.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
???

Trading a known established player for a pick is selling. That’s the definition of selling.

Our D is not good enough. So you want to sell a D for futures while trying to compete and run rookies?

that’s selling.
It was only 1 game but there was a difference in the lineup with Jake Muzzin being back and Martin Marincin not playing. So can you imagine taking Barrie off the team just for the sake of trading him since he can become a UFA.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It's selling

Barrie for all his faults is still an offensive force in our top 4, there is no way getting rid of him is addition by subtraction

I get the complaints about his game, but if people think we can trade him for anything and the team will improve, they are in for a surprise.

Barrie used in an offensive sheltered role is a really good player. He was pretty much that in Colorado.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005

I'd say Sandin looks like he could replace much of what Barrie is providing offensively while being better defensively. I'd rather look at the long term picture and say that if the Leafs aren't going to be keeping him beyond this year, then why not trade him for assets while you can? I don't see losing Barrie as a huge loss on the blueline and I'd rather get something for him than nothing and perhaps get a good defensive Dman to replace him.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'd say Sandin looks like he could replace much of what Barrie is providing offensively while being better defensively. I'd rather look at the long term picture and say that if the Leafs aren't going to be keeping him beyond this year, then why not trade him for assets while you can? I don't see losing Barrie as a huge loss on the blueline and I'd rather get something for him than nothing and perhaps get a good defensive Dman to replace him.
I only consider trading Barrie for an upgrade or if we are out of it come the deadline. Otherwise you keep him.

Also lets stop annointing Sandin after 10 games. He's still a rookie.

Reactions: meefer

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I only consider trading Barrie for an upgrade or if we are out of it come the deadline. Otherwise you keep him.

Also lets stop annointing Sandin after 10 games. He's still a rookie.

I get Sandin is a rookie, but even now I'd trust him more in a defensive situation than I would Barrie. I think whatever Barrie can provide offensively, much of it is negated by his relatively poor defense and I'd rather see if we can't sell now and get what we can for him than let him walk for nothing. Much like Gardiner, I don't think I'd want him back at any price and I'd rather get what we can for him and also use whatever cap savings we get from not signing him on someone else.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Barrie is definitely horrible defensively. But he is very good in terms of possession and offense. And we want to be a team that has the puck. There is absolutely no reason to trade him, just make sure he isnt out against top offensive lines. Put him in situations where he can dominate possession and not have to worry about top players coming the other way.

Sandin is so smart and thinks the game at a fast pace. He needs to be in our lineup even when Mo comes back...Ceci should probably be the guy to go though not Barrie. It sucks that we will likely lose Barrie for nothing in the summer, but we are trying to win a cup.

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Holl(against top lines)
Sandin-Barrie

You have two elite puck possession pairs and another who can really defend against top lines and also move the puck pretty well.

Its ok if Rielly-Dermott ends up against good lines, they should be fine. But make sure Sandin-Barrie isnt caught out against top lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad