Trades and Free Agent Talk -- Look for smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Do you watch hockey besides just the Leafs? There is essentially not another player in the league who combines being a RHD, defensive ability (while playing against highest QoC) along with an extreme physical playing style. Muzzin is easily Toronto's best defensive player and most physical player - Manson is better defensively and a better hitter (and a better fighter) - but he does lack Muzzin's offensive element.

There is no playoff hopeful team that needs Manson more than Toronto. He brings everything Toronto lacks, while, for instance, Dumba brings almost none of that.

He's a solid puck-mover as well for a big man.

Comparison_Dashboard.PNG

Reactions: Duffman955

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This is fully support.
The team needs to think about goaltending long term. With so much money tied up in forwards and the D needing an overhaul, do you want you eggs in one basket (Andersen) or do you want a competent tandem that can roll out 40 games each? I don't think we want to pay Andersen like Bob or Price.

A lot of hockey analytics writers have been pushing the notion that its better value to go with tandems.

They tend to be chepaer then spending a ton of money on a. Single starter. Also in terms.of reaults theres really not much difference between a "star" goalie vs a slightly above average one too.

It will be curious tonsee what Dubas does

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Also, Montreal would be wise not to add to a divisional rival as they would still have play him next him next year as well.

He does have an other year on his contract? I wasn't 100% sure if he did or not. Yeah that'd be perfect for us but not so good for Montreal like you said.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dumba or a Subban (50% retained) is definitely not what the team needs.

That said, both are signed beyond this season and could.fill Barries role as the puck mover on the right side. Though ideally the team gets a more two way player than either of those guys

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
The more I think about it, the more I think the leafs will do nothing in terms of their D-core this deadline. Just doesn't seem like there are potential trade targets or good fits. Saying that though, I think the leafs will be able to pick up a backup goaltender

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
That’s where I’m confused. Seems pretty obvious what he brings that’s hard to find. Would you rather have a much lower quality player like him in Larrson? Maybe keep Ceci? Nah.

He brings everything we sorely lack. Grit, hits like a truck, defensive competence, fighting ability, 40 point potential, crease clearing/cycle stopping, leadership a good contract with term.
Yup, I didn’t ever say he wouldn’t be a good fit, or wasn’t a good player. He could be, and is. But reports are he hasn’t been as good the past two years. I’m less interested in paying for what he has been. At the cost the other poster suggested, I wouldn’t be interested.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Do you watch hockey besides just the Leafs? There is essentially not another player in the league who combines being a RHD, defensive ability (while playing against highest QoC) along with an extreme physical playing style. Muzzin is easily Toronto's best defensive player and most physical player - Manson is better defensively and a better hitter (and a better fighter) - but he does lack Muzzin's offensive element.

There is no playoff hopeful team that needs Manson more than Toronto. He brings everything Toronto lacks, while, for instance, Dumba brings almost none of that.
Nope, not a lot, but I read here plenty.

He’s a player who’s perceived value is higher than his play the past two years.

So, your last point may be right, but your suggested cost is too rich.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
There is no reason to try to make a major trade for a D when the season is in doubt. There are so many UFA D options coming up.

Right D with age and predicted cap

1.) Petro. 30. 10 million
2.) Schultz 29. 5 million
3.) brodie. 29. 5 million
4.) Tanev. 29. 4 million
5.) hamonic. 30. 4 million
6.) braun. 32. 3 million
7.) gudas. 30’. 3 million
8.) Pysyk. 29. 3 million.
9.) shattenkirk. 4 million.

That’s just right D. Petro is a pipe dream now. Brodie has blocked us but there are options that are just as good as many options.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
There is no reason to try to make a major trade for a D when the season is in doubt. There are so many UFA D options coming up.

Right D with age and predicted cap

1.) Petro. 30. 10 million
2.) Schultz 29. 5 million
3.) brodie. 29. 5 million
4.) Tanev. 29. 4 million
5.) hamonic. 30. 4 million
6.) braun. 32. 3 million
7.) gudas. 30’. 3 million
8.) Pysyk. 29. 3 million.
9.) shattenkirk. 4 million.

That’s just right D. Petro is a pipe dream now. Brodie has blocked us but there are options that are just as good as many options.

Brodie has not necessarily blocked us... He just did not want to get traded and he knew that, had it not been for Kadri, he would have been traded to us. So now he made sure it could not happen on his end.

Also remember that Barrie, Ceci and Vatanen are potential UFA's. Barrie is probably a bad move (we might as well just pay extra for Pietrangelo or spread the cap around), but Ceci and Vatanen could be alright.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Here is something that makes little sense to me.
Everybody’s talking about the Rangers goalie, Yeah the leafs should probably be focussing on trying to get Demko out of Vancouver.

The guy has developed absolutely perfectly, and is getting better every game, And the Canucks will probably sign marky long-term.

The expansion draft really screws with a lot of things, The leafs have the assets to trade with seattle to keep demko.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Everybody’s talking about the Rangers goalie, Yeah the leafs should probably be focussing on trying to get Demko out of Vancouver.

The guy has developed absolutely perfectly, and is getting better every game, And the Canucks will probably sign marky long-term.

The expansion draft really screws with a lot of things, The leafs have the assets to trade with seattle to keep demko.
What would the Canucks want?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Yeah, but I got a really nice bottle of scotch a few years ago, and can't stand the smell of it so it's been sitting around for about 4 years.

So I'll just go with a bourbon because it does the job and not overpriced due to reputation.

Manson you play all the time, just like you do Gudbranson.

Leafs don't need an overpriced bottle of scotch.

Swing and a miss, old chum.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

The Rangers will likely continue to price themselves into a goaltending controversy and teams like the Leafs will instead kick tires on reasonably priced options like Demko.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Chuck called that.

Hopefully we dont give up anyone too special. Campbell has been pretty poor this year.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
My first reaction after having a few tonight, I love the trade. Moore was a guy I was always hoping would take the next step but never has. Reminds me of Frattin in a way, though totally different players. Funny how he goes to LA in a goalie trade too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad