Trades and Free Agent talk- Action started

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Why is Buffalo not selling every part of their roster right now? 10 points out and way behind. They have like 10 UFA's, take what you can get and blow it up.

They don't even play their only two good forwards together and they wonder why theu suck.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
We would hope so, but it begs the question that if we could have converted even just one of Kap or AJ into a decent RD, why hasn't this happened before? We've definitely had a clear need for a decent RD for the last 3 or 4 years. Also, we have lots (excess) of wingers.

Something seems amiss here? Explanations like we just haven't been looking, or felt like a getting one don't seem realistic, so there must be some other explanation? Would have to hope that our management team has been vigilantly been exploring options for years now, or have not been thinking we are in great shape as far as RDs are concerned.

Teams aren't stupid, they know we need RHD badly...i'd expect they are trying to jack prices up on us in hopes Dubas makes a deal from weakness as opposed to waiting the market out for a decent price... Kap by himself is enough for a 3-5 RHD as he is valued highly (higher than mango) around the league as you can't teach that kind of speed...personally i'd rather see Mango go if I had to choose between them...for that exact reason, you can't teach the speed that Kapanen has

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I agree with the sentiment here that Dubas finding a top 4 young D with term is going to be extremely difficult this trade deadline. Mainly because they either just aren’t available or the price is just sky high (Manson and Dumba). Seems like it’s gonna have to be another off-season type of move

We’re probably gonna have to find Stop gaps for the rest of the season.

I would still like Brendan Dillon but obviously him being a UFA complicates things. Idk if Dubas wants to give up assets for a Rental just yet.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Right now it's mostly because a lot of teams are in the mix for a playoff spot. Once we're closer to the deadline, I think a few teams will reconsider their stance and generally, this is just a tactic to get teams to pay more in value.

With that said, the NHL trade deadline is pretty bad. The cap system is just terrible to trade in season and the parity makes it that a lot of teams really don't want to hard sell or hard buy.

I don't know how Dubas will be able to find that defenseman with term. Dumba and Manson are the ones that fit. Seems pretty impossible with the assets in play though. Maybe there's someone he will get that isn't being talked about.....?

With news of Brodin and Dumba on the market for a #1C, I think we can safely say that Toronto won't be big game hunting this season.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Teams aren't stupid, they know we need RHD badly...i'd expect they are trying to jack prices up on us in hopes Dubas makes a deal from weakness as opposed to waiting the market out for a decent price... Kap by himself is enough for a 3-5 RHD as he is valued highly (higher than mango) around the league as you can't teach that kind of speed...personally i'd rather see Mango go if I had to choose between them...for that exact reason, you can't teach the speed that Kapanen has

That's not really how the trade market works though. You can't just jack the price up and expect people to pay. That only really works when a player wants to go somewhere specific or the market is very thin and a team is on the verge of a cup. Otherwise, teams will just wait for a better option.

If a team needs a winger, I don't see why Kap couldn't net us a #3.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
With news of Brodin and Dumba on the market for a #1C, I think we can safely say that Toronto won't be big game hunting this season.

The time to acquire a top 4, young RHD was in the summer. Going into training camp pending UFA Barrie was our best RHD and we had Holl, Ceci, and Schmaltz competing for the final 2 spots. Don't want to shit on Dubas but you brought this upon yourself.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
The time to acquire a top 4, young RHD was in the summer. Going into training camp pending UFA Barrie was our best RHD and we had Holl, Ceci, and Schmaltz competing for the final 2 spots. Don't want to **** on Dubas but you brought this upon yourself.

I agree with that, but I also have no idea what the market was like this past summer, I don't remember any big young RD moving teams so it's hard to really say that he flopped.

I was really offput that we didn't fix it, though...no matter the circumstances, bringing in Barrie and Ceci just doesn't cut it for a team with stars hitting their prime.

Reactions: ToneDog

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The time to acquire a top 4, young RHD was in the summer. Going into training camp pending UFA Barrie was our best RHD and we had Holl, Ceci, and Schmaltz competing for the final 2 spots. Don't want to **** on Dubas but you brought this upon yourself.

I don't like Barrie's game at all but many still defend him and point out some stats.

It's okay I really wasn't the biggest fan of the guy they moved, and not the biggest fan of the supposed #1 defender for the Leafs.

I guess I just like the team more than the players?

Pay the price and make a solid, team enhancing, trade for what the team lacks. Someone on the RHD who can defend.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I agree with that, but I also have no idea what the market was like this past summer, I don't remember any big young RD moving teams so it's hard to really say that he flopped.

I was really offput that we didn't fix it, though...no matter the circumstances, bringing in Barrie and Ceci just doesn't cut it for a team with stars hitting their prime.

Dubas rolled the dice with Ceci and Hutch and lost. Lucked out with Holl until now as he is playing more minutes than he should be and is clearly being exposed.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I don't like Barrie's game at all but many still defend him and point out some stats.

It's okay I really wasn't the biggest fan of the guy they moved, and not the biggest fan of the supposed #1 defender for the Leafs.

Pay the price and make a solid, team enhancing, trade for what the team lacks. Someone on the RHD who can defend.

One thing to be careful of is not liking players because they are failing to meet unreasonable expectations.

It's not on Morgan Rielly that he is played and slotted as our #1, but likely belongs as a #2 on a contender with good defence.

I get the same feeling for Barrie....he belongs as a 2nd/3rd pairing guy 5v5, and needs to be sheltered. It's not his problem that we can't shelter him, thats a slotting issue and management needs to solve it.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

The price might be too high now (Minny wants a #1C for Dumba - can you say Kadri ??). Dubas might have to roll the dice on a cheaper option now, hope that Rielly returns 100% and get it done this summer.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
One thing to be careful of is not liking players because they are failing to meet unreasonable expectations.

It's not on Morgan Rielly that he is played and slotted as our #1, but likely belongs as a #2 on a contender with good defence.

I get the same feeling for Barrie....he belongs as a 2nd/3rd pairing guy 5v5, and needs to be sheltered. It's not his problem that we can't shelter him, thats a slotting issue and management needs to solve it.

Don't disagree.

Never wanted Barrie, but for Rielly it really is the hype that turns me off. And it isn't that I dislike the person, but the roll he plays on TV.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
That's not really how the trade market works though. You can't just jack the price up and expect people to pay. That only really works when a player wants to go somewhere specific or the market is very thin and a team is on the verge of a cup. Otherwise, teams will just wait for a better option.

If a team needs a winger, I don't see why Kap couldn't net us a #3.

Yes I'm aware but you also can't forget these GM's don't operate in a bubble and it's a well known fact the Leafs are hurting for a defensive D-man anywhere from 2-5...they are in small amount (in terms of guys who would actually move the needle for us) so would it really surprise you if GM's are raising prices slightly on Dubas

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The price might be too high now (Minny wants a #1C for Dumba - can you say Kadri ??). Dubas might have to roll the dice on a cheaper option now, hope that Rielly returns 100% and get it done this summer.

Asking and selling price.

Leafs know what they can offer, if it isn't enough for Dumba it might be enough for ...

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Not really. Kadri did not possess that kind of value. Otherwise, he would have been able to get guys with more than one year left on their deals.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Well if he expects to earn any kind of raise, it kind of is his problem. Guys who belong on a 2nd or 3rd pairing and need to be sheltered don't make 8 million. They don't even make 5.5 mill like he is currently making.

Players are getting slotted appropriately. Management already solved the slotting issue in the offseason. Rielly should be a #1, Muzzin and Barrie should be 2/3's, Ceci and Dermott should be 4/5's, and Holl should be a #6. It's up to the players and coaching to play up to what they "should" be though, not management. Especially after management continually supplies the team with the necessary pieces to strengthen their weaknesses.

Under Keefe we have a top 3 offense and a league average defense despite getting below-average play from Andersen and Hutchinson, inconsistent defensive play from our forwards, and various injuries on the back end over the course of the year (including 2 of our top 3 defensemen for 1-2 months each). Of course "average" could get better, and you can want different types of players in those slots, but it comes at the cost of that offense... Which is totally fine, but that could just end up being a "different' roster structure more than a "better" roster structure.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Let’s get DeMelo, don’t think he’d cost must at all.

Timashov + Bracco?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Yes I'm aware but you also can't forget these GM's don't operate in a bubble and it's a well known fact the Leafs are hurting for a defensive D-man anywhere from 2-5...they are in small amount (in terms of guys who would actually move the needle for us) so would it really surprise you if GM's are raising prices slightly on Dubas

It would surprise me because if they want to make a trade, raising the price makes it less likely to happen. Someone eventually will undercut until the price is market value. I think you are overestimating GMs if you think they will all make a secret pact to not lower their prices until a certain GM overpays.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

I'd be interested to see anyone's case for Kadri being a #1C.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Tyson barrie had 59 points last season, and is easily a top4 Dman and seemed a perfect fit up with Rielly. Because Barries offense fell off a cliff and babcock deciding a 28 year old player needed to reinvent themselves he hasnt lived up to his actual level of talent. THat cannot be put on Dubas how the f*** was he supposed to know A: barries offense would dry up and B: babcock was that much of a tool?

This revisionist history of going back saying barrie is terrible etc has become laughable in its attempts at trying to pin it on dubas.

Let me add Barrie has 4 less points than Kadri does in 6 more games (kadri now being injured) so that swap alone isnt even a bad trade but yet we have kerfoot and his 24 points too?

Barrie was the move to bolster out right hand side and unfortunately it didnt pay off

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Im pretty sure everyone can say Kadri, what relevance does that have to 1C's? If you think Kadri is A: a 1C and B: would get dumba then i have a plastic bag full of the best Oxygen you will ever breathe here for sale, i can let you have it for .... you know what f*** it you seem like a good dude, ill do you a deal $1000

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I can't see Dubas giving up a ton of futures for a defensman. Essentially Johnsson/Kerfoot/Bracco or other B prospects
Because of this, I think our targets will be limited.

I think the Bogosian rumour is an interesting one, a name I mentioned a few weeks ago as a player we could target. A trade to a talented team could rejuvinate him a bit! At the very least, he is a warm body until Ceci and Rielly come back if he doesn't pan out.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Right time of year, wrong summer. Barrie was a stop gap, Ceci a serviceable bridge. We wanted to get through this season without dismantling the core while still having a shot to win.

This off-season the d takes shape.

Reactions: freshwind

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
It would surprise me because if they want to make a trade, raising the price makes it less likely to happen. Someone eventually will undercut until the price is market value. I think you are overestimating GMs if you think they will all make a secret pact to not lower their prices until a certain GM overpays.

I don't think it's a pact, I think it's singular GM's trying to take advantage of situation that they have a remedy for...nothing to do with pacts or agreements...but if you know someone is hurting for something you have and you think you can get a better deal because of it wouldn't you as a businessman try to take advantage of this perceived weakness in a competitor?

nothing to do with league wide agreements (that's some serious conspiracy theory BS that I will leave to some of the other posters on here lol)

But if I have a house for sale and you NEED a house that is exactly what I have for sale and I think I can scrape a few more dollars from you in the deal, you are damn right i am going to try to do that...no guarantee it works but I'd be an idiot not to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad