Trades and Free Agent talk- Action started

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That's subjective... I've heard many Avs fans refer to him as a solid 2nd pairing guy. Will never be top pairing material though.

Well he's not. They just want to pump up his value. I wouldn't even count on him as a #4 on most teams, including ours.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The fact that Gauthier has been scratched for 2 straight games and Timashov obviously going in and out of the lineup. Have to assume Dubas will look for some more solidified 4th line players at the deadline too.

Clifford was a good get. Need maybe 1 more.

I still really want Derek Grant. Great overall game for a 4th line player

Reactions: smitty10

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I know I was one of the people who brought up Zadorov on the last page...but I'll be honest with you guys, that was more of a playful proposal.

Inside, I'm not the biggest Zadorov fan either. Skating isnt that great and I think he'll be one of those players who get exposed pretty quick if he comes into our system.

So yeah, probably a pass on that one.

Reactions: kb and smitty10

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I know I was one of the people who brought up Zadorov on the last page...but I'll be honest with you guys, that was more of a playful proposal.

Inside, I'm not the biggest Zadorov fan either. Skating isnt that great and I think he'll be one of those players who get exposed pretty quick if he comes into our system.

We always seem to have these cyclical conversations where we claim to want size, muscle, grit, but then we realize we have to dismiss players because they can't keep up with mobility, quick puck movement, and skilled opposition. To me, we need a bit of everything - we have more than enough offense, speed, skill, and intelligence. A guy like Zadorov, who's now playing behind EJ and Makar, would slot extremely nicely in either a 2RD or 3RD position alongside either Muzzin (if extended), or Sandin. I've been less than impressed with Clifford through 3 games, but I think that's because we don't exactly need a checker in our bottom 6... maybe against Boston we might if we get there.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
We always seem to have these cyclical conversations where we claim to want size, muscle, grit, but then we realize we have to dismiss players because they can't keep up with mobility, quick puck movement, and skilled opposition. To me, we need a bit of everything - we have more than enough offense, speed, skill, and intelligence. A guy like Zadorov, who's now playing behind EJ and Makar, would slot extremely nicely in either a 2RD or 3RD position alongside either Muzzin (if extended), or Sandin. I've been less than impressed with Clifford through 3 games, but I think that's because we don't exactly need a checker in our bottom 6... maybe against Boston we might if we get there.

I want a Player who's both Physical and Mobile. Thats exactly why I've been preaching for Manson.

I mean I wouldn't completely mind if we acquired Zadorov. I would at least give him some games in a leaf jersey to fully judge him. But his foot speed is pretty brutal and his stickhandling skill are mediocre. Thats never a good combo, especially in this run and gun offense we have.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I don't know if you can get a top 4 defenceman for Johnsson, but Dubas can, I easily trade him over Kapanen.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

It really wouldn't be much different than Muzzin here. Not sure on his puck movement, but Colorado are arguably the fastest team in the league and he doesn't stick out too much there.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I missed the intermission(s), but I assume the TSN guys didn't really talk about "fresh" rumours regarding the Leafs?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't know if you can get a top 4 defenceman for Johnsson, but Dubas can, I easily trade him over Kapanen.

I don't think the Leafs have the assets to go after a "top available" defenseman pre deadline unless they pull out a pretty miraculous move. I don't think Johnsson, directly or indirectly, is nearly enough.

We'll see what happens in the next 10 or so days but seems like it's going to be a boring deadline for us again. Shuffle the deck for the Marlies, maybe a veteran addition for Timashov kind of thing, and call it a day.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I missed the intermission(s), but I assume the TSN guys didn't really talk about "fresh" rumours regarding the Leafs?

Might as well bring in Doughty, right? I mean, we got Muzzin, Campbell and Clifford already. :sarcasm:

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Actually that is incorrect, his skating is virtually elite for his size. The issue with Zadorov is the inconsistency in his game, particularly his decision making. He is a high-event defenseman, with some eye-popping plays due to his immense physical gifts, but he is prone to some absolutely horrific turnovers and questionable IQ plays.

Reactions: Duffman955

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Zadorov is a great skater, especially for his size. Why would you say that?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Might as well bring in Doughty, right? I mean, we got Muzzin, Campbell and Clifford already. :sarcasm:
Can we fit him under our Cap for the long run? Heck why don’t we get Kopitar too.
Imagine having JT, Matthews and Kopitar as C.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Actually that is incorrect, his skating is virtually elite for his size. The issue with Zadorov is the inconsistency in his game, particularly his decision making. He is a high-event defenseman, with some eye-popping plays due to his immense physical gifts, but he is prone to some absolutely horrific turnovers and questionable IQ plays.
You are literally describing Jake.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
There are a few special players on Colorado, Zadarov definitely isn't one of them. Low hockey IQ from what I have seen. I think Colorado's D will be their undoing in the playoffs this year.

Still think Demelo or Dillon are our best options for stopgaps.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Think that the leafs might make one more trade to add some depth to defence.The Kapanen,Johnsson,Kerfoot trade happens in the offseason

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

johnsson, bracco + would get a prett damn good dman imo. The + is the key would a 3rd do it? eh not sure probably a 2nd which i wouldnt love giving up

Johnsson is a bonafide top 9 forward that has to be worth a 1st (a late one at least)
Bracco has done nothing to say he has lost value so he'd proably be worth a mid to high 2nd

thats a late 1st, mid 2nd and 2nd/3rd (hoepfully)
surely that would get a top 4 dman, probably wont be young with a ton of upside may even be a rental only but that would get a top 4 D imo

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
johnsson, bracco + would get a prett damn good dman imo. The + is the key would a 3rd do it? eh not sure probably a 2nd which i wouldnt love giving up

Johnsson is a bonafide top 9 forward that has to be worth a 1st (a late one at least)
Bracco has done nothing to say he has lost value so he'd proably be worth a mid to high 2nd

thats a late 1st, mid 2nd and 2nd/3rd (hoepfully)
surely that would get a top 4 dman, probably wont be young with a ton of upside may even be a rental only but that would get a top 4 D imo

Dillon, Demelo, etc. Very few teams appear to be parting with top4 D right now.

One buy-low candidate I saw and liked the idea of is Roland McKeown. 24YO RHD specializes in defensive play. I'd easily swap Marincin or a late pick for him and see if he can play his way onto this roster.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Dillon, Demelo, etc. Very few teams appear to be parting with top4 D right now.

One buy-low candidate I saw and liked the idea of is Roland McKeown. 24YO RHD specializes in defensive play. I'd easily swap Marincin or a late pick for him and see if he can play his way onto this roster.

Right now it's mostly because a lot of teams are in the mix for a playoff spot. Once we're closer to the deadline, I think a few teams will reconsider their stance and generally, this is just a tactic to get teams to pay more in value.

With that said, the NHL trade deadline is pretty bad. The cap system is just terrible to trade in season and the parity makes it that a lot of teams really don't want to hard sell or hard buy.

I don't know how Dubas will be able to find that defenseman with term. Dumba and Manson are the ones that fit. Seems pretty impossible with the assets in play though. Maybe there's someone he will get that isn't being talked about.....?

Last edited:
Reactions: Merrrlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad