Trades and Free Agent talk- Action started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
It's time to sell the farm and pick up Boko Imama. Did you see the pounding he put on Brandon Manning? Other teams would be terrified of even looking our star players in the eye, let alone throwing a dirty hit.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I don't think the Leafs have the assets to go after a "top available" defenseman pre deadline unless they pull out a pretty miraculous move. I don't think Johnsson, directly or indirectly, is nearly enough.

We'll see what happens in the next 10 or so days but seems like it's going to be a boring deadline for us again. Shuffle the deck for the Marlies, maybe a veteran addition for Timashov kind of thing, and call it a day.

There are a few special players on Colorado, Zadarov definitely isn't one of them. Low hockey IQ from what I have seen. I think Colorado's D will be their undoing in the playoffs this year.

Still think Demelo or Dillon are our best options for stopgaps.

Think that the leafs might make one more trade to add some depth to defence.The Kapanen,Johnsson,Kerfoot trade happens in the offseason

Its beginning to feel more & more like that for me as well. Just a smaller deal & no big splash.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Not really. Kadri did not possess that kind of value. Otherwise, he would have been able to get guys with more than one year left on their deals.
So, we are going to get that good, legit top 4 RD now with AJ as our trade bait, yet didn't with Kadri? Hmm.

Reactions: ToneDog

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Bogosian, Greene, Scandella, Hainsey, Hutton, Green, Montour

If the Leafs want to add a depth defenseman to the group for a mid/late round pick it might come from this grouping of players. Rielly and Ceci out long-term, they could use a body to fill a spot. This would also replace Marincin going into the playoffs as the #7 defenseman.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Bogosian, Greene, Scandella, Hainsey, Hutton, Green, Montour

If the Leafs want to add a depth defenseman to the group for a mid/late round pick it might come from this grouping of players.

Slim pickings. Much rather like the names Dillon and Demelo. Suppose Bogo could be ok for a 7th D and out of everyone would probably cost the least.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I suspect for the "right " player Dermott could be added to Johnsson.AJ alone will not get us a top4 D.
Ya, so a lot depends how a potential trading partner views Dermott. I really don't have an answer to that.

All teams have scouts. So whatever we are seeing in Dermott, they are too.

But, I fear we may be falling for the idea that 1 + 1 = 3 here. Imho, the quality of asset has always been the more important aspect in a trade versus quantity.

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Ya, I wondered about Brodin too after seeing his name pop up just recently.

The issue with Brodin though is handedness and position. Supposedly he's played a bit on the right side, but that's not his position. I think he really only is an option once you know Muzzin is leaving. But then it is more assets spent on a defenceman that's not playing with Rielly.

The guy there that still makes the most sense at least from playing perspective is Spurgeon. It's just the contract that's an issue. But I suppose that could help the value. Another issue or problem that would come is by committing to taking that contract you put yourself out of both Muzzin and Barrie resigning here. How possibly would that effect them and their play from then on?

Spurgeon does seem like the happy balance of both of them and would be a fit with Rielly. All the boxes get checked, it's just about committing to that contract.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I agree but Leafs were and are going for it. If the goal was to get through the season, you keep Marleau and bridge Mitch or let him and his camp rot.

They're going for it but not at the expense of hurting the core.
We're good enough to win this year, but with a cobbled together stop gap D.
This off season we can put the "real D" in place.

Last offseason putting the "real D" in place would have required hurting the core.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
So, we are going to get that good, legit top 4 RD now with AJ as our trade bait, yet didn't with Kadri? Hmm.
Kyle got ripped off get it straight stop trying to justify how Nazem Kadri was not very good do you have an inexperienced GM it’s like taking candy from a baby lmao and you think someone that’s worse than Nazem was is going to get us a top 4 d lmao Some people around here need to understand that most GM’s are not as silly as ours

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The issue with Brodin though is handedness and position. Supposedly he's played a bit on the right side, but that's not his position. I think he really only is an option once you know Muzzin is leaving. But then it is more assets spent on a defenceman that's not playing with Rielly.

The guy there that still makes the most sense at least from playing perspective is Spurgeon. It's just the contract that's an issue. But I suppose that could help the value. Another issue or problem that would come is by committing to taking that contract you put yourself out of both Muzzin and Barrie resigning here. How possibly would that effect them and their play from then on?

Spurgeon does seem like the happy balance of both of them and would be a fit with Rielly. All the boxes get checked, it's just about committing to that contract.

Good points and things to consider. Ya, knowing what happens with Muzzin helps considerably. Just found it interesting as its another name amongst the few that exist.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Kyle got ripped off get it straight stop trying to justify how Nazem Kadri was not very good do you have an inexperienced GM it’s like taking candy from a baby lmao and you think someone that’s worse than Nazem was is going to get us a top 4 d lmao Some people around here need to understand that most GM’s are not as silly as ours

interesting, "the terrible Tyson Barrie is so f***ing shit" "Nazim Kadri is goat" turns out 4 points is the difference between garbage and god who knew?

Nazim Kadri: 51 GP 19G 17A 36P
Calle Rosen: 8 GP 0G 2A 2P

Vs

Tyson Barrie: 57 GP 5G 27A 32P
Alex Kerfoot: 52 GP 8G 16A 24P

ripped off? hilariously bad post

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Slim pickings. Much rather like the names Dillon and Demelo. Suppose Bogo could be ok for a 7th D and out of everyone would probably cost the least.
I liked the Bogosian idea the best too. I think he can be had for a 6th or 7th and it adds an element of grit to the lineup that could come in and out of the lineup. I'd prefer Dillon or Demelo too, but I think it is likely they score a 2nd rd. pick +. I don't want to burn any more high picks on middling talent. We're running a little low after that last trade and the Marleau move.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
interesting, "the terrible Tyson Barrie is so ****ing ****" "Nazim Kadri is goat" turns out 4 points is the difference between garbage and god who knew?

Vs

Points can be very deceiving. Although I wouldn't use "ripoff" to rate this trade, I would still rather have Kadri than both of these guys TBH.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Points can be very deceiving. Although I wouldn't use "ripoff" to rate this trade, I would still rather have Kadri than both of these guys TBH.

why? he isn't better than either JT or AM and isnt a defensive stalwart, his offence is poor and is an extremely selfish player when he sees red and gets suspended in the playoffs? a bang average player hyped up to the extreme levels because of gritzzzz which he would use sparingly anyway

on this team kadri is a pointless redundancy an offensive player who isnt that great offensively. And top it all off with his whining about not being called about the trade like he is some sort of star player

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
interesting, "the terrible Tyson Barrie is so ****ing ****" "Nazim Kadri is goat" turns out 4 points is the difference between garbage and god who knew?

Vs

Thankfully, we are actually objective about moves and not making up stuff to complain.

Really wierd honestly. After Kadri suspended himself, people wanted to get rid of him because he can't be trusted. Now they want him back and how Dubas is so bad for trading him? Talk about double standards.

Reactions: freshwind

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
why? he isn't better than either JT or AM and isnt a defensive stalwart, his offence is poor and is an extremely selfish player when he sees red and gets suspended in the playoffs? a bang average player hyped up to the extreme levels because of gritzzzz which he would use sparingly anyway

on this team kadri is a pointless redundancy an offensive player who isnt that great offensively. And top it all off with his whining about not being called about the trade like he is some sort of star player
Yup I still like Kadri but he lost his role on this team by himself. If he doesn't do that unnecessary hit, we might be in the 2nd round. He gets the majority of the blame.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think some here remembered Kadri as the back to back 30 goals scorer and can contain McDavid. But he is no longer that player. He plays on the Wings in Colorado. And he is a suspension waiting to happen in the playoffs. Not saying he is not a good player but he is not a great player. If he still plays on the Leafs and everyone is healthy, he will be #7 on the Leafs Fwd depth chart behind the big 4, Hyman and Soup. Once again he is our 3rd Line C with PP2 time.
Will the Leafs be better off with him than Barrie and Kerfoot? I doubt it.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->