Trades and Free Agent talk- Action started

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I can't see Dubas giving up a ton of futures for a defensman. Essentially Johnsson/Kerfoot/Bracco or other B prospects
Because of this, I think our targets will be limited.

I think the Bogosian rumour is an interesting one, a name I mentioned a few weeks ago as a player we could target. A trade to a talented team could rejuvinate him a bit! At the very least, he is a warm body until Ceci and Rielly come back if he doesn't pan out.

I thought that at one point too, but then he played like ***, even for Buffalo standards.

At this point I would just give them Ceci and an iffy prospect for him. Not even a late round pick.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Try for Demelo and extend him as well.

If not, use Johnsson or Kerfoot as #3-4 RHD bait.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Right time of year, wrong summer. Barrie was a stop gap, Ceci a serviceable bridge. We wanted to get through this season without dismantling the core while still having a shot to win.

This off-season the d takes shape.

Agreed. When you look at the whole of things, unless a great term piece became available (guessing it didn't), the right move for last year was to bridge gaps and roll dice. Having guys like Ceci and Hutch on one year as well as a Barrie tryout gives time for the rest to take shape. We are now seeing that we can likely pencil Liljegren and Sandin in next year along with Rielly and Holl. Will see if we re-up Muzzin. Then it's finding how or with whom we fill the rest but the nice thing is that through it all, he has maintained all his top pieces (pending what you consider Kadri). So he has lots of chips to play.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Leafs Notebook: What’s next for Kyle Dubas? (MLHS)
Anthony Petrelli breaks down the Leafs’ situation post-Campbell trade ahead of the deadline.
The other position to look into would be center ice. Frederik Gauthier has been in and out of the lineup as the fourth-line center, and while the team likes Jason Spezza, he has bounced around between center and wing. His best fit appears to be as a scoring winger that can fill on occasion at center rather than as a full-time pivot. Alexander Kerfoot has also bounced around. The team has used Pierre Engvall at center for an extended period of time, too.
It has been a case of musical chairs at center in their bottom six, which isn’t completely unnatural considering the injuries and amount of player movement down there. The question is: Are the Leafs even certain as to who their 3C and 4C would actually be if the whole team was totally healthy? It seems as though it is up for debate, and that makes it a position worth looking into.​

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Okay... and who do we replace Barrie with?

DeMelo or someone similar to him. Someone who can play about 20 mins of solid, mostly relatively mistake free defense in the top 4. If they can hit that's a bonus, but not mandatory and I don't care if they produce much points or not as long as they're able to get the puck out of their own zone.

Someone like DeMelo or at his tier would be relatively cheaper to acquire compared to a Manson or Dumba (who we don't need if we're looking for someone who can play good defense). I'd rather do that than throw a ton of assets at the above two players who are good but not great. If we're going to be using major assets to get a Dman then he better be elite top tier or else why bother.

Reactions: Matthews34

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I thought that at one point too, but then he played like ***, even for Buffalo standards.

At this point I would just give them Ceci and an iffy prospect for him. Not even a late round pick.

I’d keep Ceci. He’s probably a better option than Bogosian, tbh.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I can't see Dubas giving up a ton of futures for a defensman. Essentially Johnsson/Kerfoot/Bracco or other B prospects
Because of this, I think our targets will be limited.

I think the Bogosian rumour is an interesting one, a name I mentioned a few weeks ago as a player we could target. A trade to a talented team could rejuvinate him a bit! At the very least, he is a warm body until Ceci and Rielly come back if he doesn't pan out.

What’s the Bogosian rumour?

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Leafs Notebook: What’s next for Kyle Dubas? (MLHS)
Anthony Petrelli breaks down the Leafs’ situation post-Campbell trade ahead of the deadline.
The other position to look into would be center ice. Frederik Gauthier has been in and out of the lineup as the fourth-line center, and while the team likes Jason Spezza, he has bounced around between center and wing. His best fit appears to be as a scoring winger that can fill on occasion at center rather than as a full-time pivot. Alexander Kerfoot has also bounced around. The team has used Pierre Engvall at center for an extended period of time, too.
It has been a case of musical chairs at center in their bottom six, which isn’t completely unnatural considering the injuries and amount of player movement down there. The question is: Are the Leafs even certain as to who their 3C and 4C would actually be if the whole team was totally healthy? It seems as though it is up for debate, and that makes it a position worth looking into.​

I like having Spezza on the wing because he then doubles as insurance for the center position when injuries happen. I also think he could be paired with Engvall quite well. Leave the two-way center work to Engvall and let Spezza take the draws.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
That would be very nice! If only we knew anything today about Pietrangelo.

I can't see how St.Louis resigns him. With both Parayko and Faulk signed long term, and with Pietrangelo most likely looking for 8mil + retirement contract, I don't think St.Louis wants about 20 million tied up on just there right side.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I can't see how St.Louis resigns him. With both Parayko and Faulk signed long term, and with Pietrangelo most likely looking for 8mil + retirement contract, I don't think St.Louis wants about 20 million tied up on just there right side.

It's entirely possible but then we'd also need to know he was coming here. I guess I should clarify in terms of allowing us to maximize return on what we'd have to move out. Sure would be walking a fine line on cap!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Who tf is Roger Dicklund lol.

Bogosian is just Ceci. Not something we need more of. Our third pairing with Sandin and Liljegren has been nice to watch. Calm with the puck, good some exits.

I really don’t see how we make a move on defense, barring a Tyson Barrie for defender with term type deal, but other than maybe Larsson in EDM, I don’t see a team with a need for an offensive guy like Barrie who has a D with term to give.

I think our overall defensive game the last bit has much better, with the exception of the two breakdowns.

It helps having a goalie who can make those saves when Freddy ain’t in the net as well. Not every little breakdown ends up in our net.

I gotta say, I’m not sure what I want out of the deadline.

One minute I think we can make a big move for a D, and the other I’m not sure if we need/should do that before the summer.

One minute I like the idea of taking a chance on a Sam Bennett or Mark Jankowski to be our 4C instead of Gauthier, and the next, I’m wondering if that’s worth giving an asset up for.

I said for a while the biggest need was Goalie and not defence. Through 3 games, that seems to be holding up.

Right now we need Holl to settle back down. He’s been our Tanev this year and needs to remember that. A simple, defensive player. Move the puck up. That pairing of Muzzin and Holl shouldn’t be activating much.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
It's entirely possible but then we'd also need to know he was coming here. I guess I should clarify in terms of allowing us to maximize return on what we'd have to move out. Sure would be walking a fine line on cap!

All the players I mentioned are available this summer. Both Pietrangelo and Demelo are UFA, If we could get both signed, adios Dermott and Holl

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
All the players I mentioned are available this summer. Both Pietrangelo and Demelo are UFA, If we could get both signed, adios Dermott and Holl

Yeah I'm just thinking if you knew, you might do some things now. Obviously that's impossible.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Who tf is Roger Dicklund lol.

Bogosian is just Ceci. Not something we need more of. Our third pairing with Sandin and Liljegren has been nice to watch. Calm with the puck, good some exits.

I really don’t see how we make a move on defense, barring a Tyson Barrie for defender with term type deal, but other than maybe Larsson in EDM, I don’t see a team with a need for an offensive guy like Barrie who has a D with term to give.

I think our overall defensive game the last bit has much better, with the exception of the two breakdowns.

It helps having a goalie who can make those saves when Freddy ain’t in the net as well. Not every little breakdown ends up in our net.

I gotta say, I’m not sure what I want out of the deadline.

One minute I think we can make a big move for a D, and the other I’m not sure if we need/should do that before the summer.

One minute I like the idea of taking a chance on a Sam Bennett or Mark Jankowski to be our 4C instead of Gauthier, and the next, I’m wondering if that’s worth giving an asset up for.

I said for a while the biggest need was Goalie and not defence. Through 3 games, that seems to be holding up.

Right now we need Holl to settle back down. He’s been our Tanev this year and needs to remember that. A simple, defensive player. Move the puck up. That pairing of Muzzin and Holl shouldn’t be activating much.

Both Ceci and Bogosian are upgrades on Holl IMO. Liljegren might be too for that matter.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Both Ceci and Bogosian are upgrades on Holl IMO. Liljegren might be too for that matter.

I think Liljegren can quickly push Holl down.

I would disagree about Ceci. Haven’t watched enough of Bogosian to form an opinion.

Our defense looks a lot better without Ceci out there. It’s clear as day Liljegren is an upgrade

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I think Liljegren can quickly push Holl down.

I would disagree about Ceci. Haven’t watched enough of Bogosian to form an opinion.

Our defense looks a lot better without Ceci out there. It’s clear as day Liljegren is an upgrade

Ceci >> Holl :laugh:

The Ceci hate around here is unreal...

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Bobo keeps recycling the same stuff. Kap or Aj - AJ or Kap. He knows nothing and I would guess there is nothing to tell. How much lead time did we get between the first rumor and the Muzzin trade last year?

Dubs is either waiting on another club to fall out of the race or another club is waiting for a better offer. It would be really interesting to find out who he actually likes and which of our board favorites he wouldn't even look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad