Trades and Free Agent Talk - A New Season A New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Tkachuk is getting paid more than Point on the same term.

Brayden Point doesn't like to be paid accordingly I guess.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Tkachuk about to sign for 3 years, 7m per.

Seems to be the summer of the bridge deal, did not see that coming.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't think it matters as we're up against the cap as it is. We'll probably roll with our "own rentals" Muzzin and Barrie, that's pretty darn good as it is.

Or they may shed one if they’re not in the playoff hunt.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I think that the Marner contract looks like an overpay today compared to Point's contract. But keep in mind that Point's last year of his 3 year deal is worth 9 million. Which means like others have stated the next contract he gets if he continues down the road he is going will be north of 12 million a season.

With the cap going up next season and the season after that, Marner's contract will be a moot point and we will be locked in 3 more years at a reasonable rate considering others that will be resigning after their bridge deals are up. Yes it hurts today, but as the cap goes up and others sign the Leafs will be on top in all of this once again.

I think what hurts me the most on the Marner deal is that if Point signed for 3 years @ 15M per on his next deal he would still be making less than Marner over the 6 years.

It definitely casts a bad light on the contract from Marner's POV. I hope for his sake he produces prodigiously during his contract or he will hear it from the fans...

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Or they may shed one if they’re not in the playoff hunt.

True. I guess I didn't even want to think about the possibility of not making the playoffs.

I think what hurts me the most on the Marner deal is that if Point signed for 3 years @ 15M per on his next deal he would still be making less than Marner over the 6 years.

It definitely casts a bad light on the contract from Marner's POV. I hope for his sake he produces prodigiously during his contract or he will hear it from the fans...

Yeah I get people hoping that guys like Point will break the bank 3 years from now thus making the Marner contract look better but the fact is, they'd have to sign for a small fortune to make up for the HUGE disadvantage we face over the next three years. I don't see it happening myself but would love to be proven wrong, we'll see.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Point is also still an RFA when this contract ends so he is still under the team control via contract pricing.

He won't even come close once his bridge deal is done to the AAV Marner has now.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Dubas rolls his own way. Every other GM dealing with this crop of difficult RFAs by going bridge while Dubas overpays on a longer term deal.

Dubas bought UFA years and long term stability in this cores Cup window.

Many of these guys likely go to UFA in 4 years, and at the very least have that leverage to use.

I am happy knowing our core is set.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
True. I guess I didn't even want to think about the possibility of not making the playoffs.

Yeah I get people hoping that guys like Point will break the bank 3 years from now thus making the Marner contract look better but the fact is, they'd have to sign for a small fortune to make up for the HUGE disadvantage we face over the next three years. I don't see it happening myself but would love to be proven wrong, we'll see.

The GM better be thinking about it.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dubas bought UFA years and long term stability in this cores Cup window.

Many of these guys likely go to UFA in 4 years, and at the very least have that leverage to use.

I am happy knowing our core is set.

I too am happy our core is set. What I am not happy about is that there is virtually no wiggle room to make any moves. Bruins solidified their top 9 by acquiring Johansson and Coyle at the TDL. If they do not make that move, I bet Leafs beat them in 6. Let's say the Blues put Parayko or Petro on the block. Only move I see is to move Nylander or Marner because it is money in, money out.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Although they are limited in what they can do it all depends on where they are in Feb.

Let's be honest this is the most talented Leafs team team in 20 years minimum, unless the entire core suffers career ending injury we know where they will be, at or near the top of the league.

I know you disagree before you don't this their windows has opened but it's WIDE open they are a top team that's where they will be

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I ask this because he doesn't seem like he's scared to make bold moves, Tavares, Barrie, Muzzin he's made the big move before.

But Dubas didn't have his 2019 1st, and doesn't have his 2020 1st I'm not sure he's good to want to go 3 street years without a 1st.

At least it wasn't a pure rental situation with the Muzzin trade. Glad that the deal was made during the season as well. Better (hopefully) the 1st in the Marleau trade in comparison to a roster player like Kapanen or Johnsson that should help the Leafs to the greater extent.

Can't imagine Dubas is ever actively shopping the firsts, but rival teams are probably going to want that or its equivalent in a prospect/young player more often than not.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Let's be honest this is the most talented Leafs team team in 20 years minimum, unless the entire core suffers career ending injury we know where they will be, at or near the top of the league.

I know you disagree before you don't this their windows has opened but it's WIDE open they are a top team that's where they will be

No, we don’t know that at all, nor does it matter what we think.
However the GM better be accounting for all scenarios and if the Leafs are not making the playoffs this year he’d better not lose any asset for no return.
This is precisely what the Jays did and now they’re out of playoff contention for several more years.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I too am happy our core is set. What I am not happy about is that there is virtually no wiggle room to make any moves. Bruins solidified their top 9 by acquiring Johansson and Coyle at the TDL. If they do not make that move, I bet Leafs beat them in 6. Let's say the Blues put Parayko or Petro on the block. Only move I see is to move Nylander or Marner because it is money in, money out.

Boston didnt win the Cup and we veey likely beat them with those additions if Kadri doesnt go crazy.

Our core is extremely good. I think people sometimes forget this.

We have ZERO bad contracts. Like, our most unmovable contract is Tavares, because of age and term.

Everyone else is either very movable or short term (Ceci).

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

This is probably the most talented team in 50 years. Then again, missing the playoffs is a possibility for several reasons. There's not a huge gap between near the top and out of the playoffs. Last season we weren't far off from 2nd overall for much of the season yet finished only 4 points ahead of MTL who missed out. A key injury or two and we could be in trouble, especially since we're right up against the cap and might not even have a full roster for that reason. Then there's the backup goalie position which is a big question mark so yeah, if healthy we should be close to a lock for the playoffs but there's no guarantees of good health.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
At least it wasn't a pure rental situation with the Muzzin trade. Glad that the deal was made during the season as well. Better (hopefully) the 1st in the Marleau trade in comparison to a roster player like Kapanen or Johnsson that should help the Leafs to the greater extent.

Can't imagine Dubas is ever actively shopping the firsts, but rival teams are probably going to want that or its equivalent in a prospect/young player more often than not.

I have no issue with trading any 1st right now, the cup window is WIDE open I just wonder if dubas is comfortable or William to trade 3 straight 1sts

Reactions: Buds17

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Boston didnt win the Cup and we veey likely beat them with those additions if Kadri doesnt go crazy.

Our core is extremely good. I think people sometimes forget this.

We have ZERO bad contracts. Like, our most unmovable contract is Tavares, because of age and term.

Everyone else is either very movable or short term (Ceci).

Button said the only bad contract is an unmovable one and Leafs have been able to move every bad contract they have had to. Tavares is movable but no way do you break up the 1-2 punch down the middle.

Reactions: kb

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

You realize they were a .500 team from January on last year right? There are no guarantees.

Reactions: Gary Nylund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad