Trades and Free Agent Talk - A New Season A New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
As others have mentioned there are plenty of benefits to playing and living in Toronto. There are also plenty of benefits to not living in florida, especially if you have a family.

I also think the younger generation love that attention and fame (due in part to the rise of social media) so you may see players more drawn to bigger market teams than small ones in the future.

Personally I would hate to live in a place without winter but that is a personal opinion.

I don't buy it, and it's obvious from what we see with tendencies with NHL players that they don't either.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
You're not wrong, in theory. Ideally, the goal is to have everyone on a value contract...to pay everyone as little as possible.

In reality though, all managers make mistakes...all of them. Some more than others for sure, but the point is every team is going to have some bad contracts....it's unavoidable. In that reality, I'd rather have my best players (star players) earning too much rather than the middle tier or the 4th liners....they are easier to move, especially when you bonus them out so heavily up front.

It is what it is. No one is perfect.
I agree it is better to overpay stars than bad older vets and have said as much. I have also praised Dubas for his trades and drafts so far. Kap, AJ and Kerfoot were also all signed at market value so that is good stuff.

That doesn't mean you should ignore the bad stuff, especially when it is a pretty significant overpay to a winger when there are already 2 big ticket forwards with combined earnings of 41% of the cap. Time will tell and I think Mitch will live up to that contract but it was an overpayment the minute it was signed.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I don't buy it, and it's obvious from what we see with tendencies with NHL players that they don't either.
Other tax free states arent getting the discounts that Tampa is. It is a team culture started from their 1st overall franchise center taking a pay cut.

I mean if Toronto was so much worse than places like Tampa I dont see how the leafs would be able to sign guys like Kerfoot, Kap and AJ to fair market value contracts. Shouldnt they have also received the 'Toronto Tax'?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A lot.

Muzzin won't be easy either after Spurgeon's new deal.

If Muzzin is looking for a 7x7 deal, we wouldn't have signed him regardless of what happened with the rest of the team. He's not worth 7x7.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I agree it is better to overpay stars than bad older vets and have said as much. I have also praised Dubas for his trades and drafts so far. Kap, AJ and Kerfoot were also all signed at market value so that is good stuff.

That doesn't mean you should ignore the bad stuff, especially when it is a pretty significant overpay to a winger when there are already 2 big ticket forwards with combined earnings of 41% of the cap. Time will tell and I think Mitch will live up to that contract but it was an overpayment the minute it was signed.

I agree.

It's weird having a reasonable discussion with someone on here.

Thank you.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was pretty high on Bokk a couple years ago with our late first, but then we traded with the Blues to move down. They moved up to grab Bokk and we grabbed Sandin (And Durzi? Or was it SDA? I dont remember the pick we got for it)

Surprising trade from the Blues there.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I was pretty high on Bokk a couple years ago with our late first, but then we traded with the Blues to move down. They moved up to grab Bokk and we grabbed Sandin.

Surprising trade from the Blues there.
Ya agreed, looks like Pietrangelo is likely gone next year

Reactions: Jozay

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If Pietrangelo hit UFA, 7 years at 8.5-9M I have to imagine is the cost right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad