Trades and Free Agent Talk - A New Season A New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What were the Marner reports for a 3-year QO? Was it 14/yr or am exaggerating? I remember there being a lot of concern over the structure and what it would end with

The rumor was that the 3rd year as requested by Marner would have a qualifying offer of around 15 mil

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Bob McKenzie just threw out random speculation involving Toronto and Pietroangelo.

He said this because apparently the have been mentions of this in the market. I haven't heard or read any speculation on this... such a weird speculation to throw out for no reason. Skip to about 4 minutes remaining.

https://post.futurimedia.com/chumam/playlist/22/listen-17368.html?cb=1569365027.794968

I'm taking the O'dog rule on Bob McKenzie speculation rule... if Bob starts throwing things out it usually has a bit of meaning.

To be clear, he does stay that Pietroangelo wants to retire as a Blue, but the Faulk deal may have complicated things so far.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Interesting how Faulk gets that deal, and Gardiner gets the deal he got.

I wouldn't peg over $2.5 AAV and 3 extra years of contract between the two.

One guy shoots left, the other guy shoots right

Looking at contracts handed out to the older D this off-season the Gardiner deal looks like a ******* steal if he stays fit

Reactions: BertCorbeau

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Bob McKenzie just threw out random speculation involving Toronto and Pietroangelo.

He said this because apparently the have been mentions of this in the market. I haven't heard or read any speculation on this... such a weird speculation to throw out for no reason. Skip to about 4 minutes remaining.

https://post.futurimedia.com/chumam/playlist/22/listen-17368.html?cb=1569365027.794968

I'm taking the O'dog rule on Bob McKenzie speculation rule... if Bob starts throwing things out it usually has a bit of meaning.

To be clear, he does stay that Pietroangelo wants to retire as a Blue, but the Faulk deal may have complicated things so far.
Blues don't have any cap space either though so they would need to retain on him AND we'd have to send at least one of Muzzin or Ceci back the other way.

While I would love it, it would be an extremely difficult trade to pull off. On the plus side Dubas has a good relationship with Armstrong and he does love our fringy prospect guys, so maybe we could get a deal here.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
One is also two years older and has a bad back.

2.5M AAV less
3 years less term
At least as good a player if not better

What part of "this deal will be a ******* steal if he stays fit" did you struggle to understand exactly? We call that a caveat

Also when both of there deals are up Gardiner will be a year younger

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Interesting how Faulk gets that deal, and Gardiner gets the deal he got.

I wouldn't peg over $2.5 AAV and 3 extra years of contract between the two.

A lot of people overrate Faulk, but Faulk is 2 years younger is better defensively.

Not a fan of Faulk though, and 6.5 mill is pricey for what I think he provides. Not that bad for what most people think he provides though I guess.

Gardiner came in at what he deserved. He's only had 2 seasons in his career which justify him making that much (or more) money. Oh, and a terrible playoff record which does not help him at all. Offensive defensemen do not get paid unless they are elite and still can defend against high end competition, just like pure defensive defensemen often do not get paid either (see Carlo). I also think that is why you are going to see Barrie get a lot less money than people think he is worth, but in reality it's probably more than he's worth.

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Leafs signing really leave a bad taste. Shows they only care about money. Not winning. Tavares is the only one I respect.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
2.5M AAV less
3 years less term
At least as good a player if not better

What part of "this deal will be a ******* steal if he stays fit" did you struggle to understand exactly? We call that a caveat

Also when both of there deals are up Gardiner will be a year younger

I didn't say anything about it being a good or bad deal. I was just adding to your excellent analysis of "one shoots left and one shoots right".

Gardiner is getting paid about the amount I think I would be comfortable with, even if he's healthy. It's a fair deal.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

This has been my pet Leaf acquisition fantasy to get Alex Pietrangelo. I'd be willing to include Nylander for the player if Pietrangelo could be extended.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

I rember after the trade deadline Chris Johnston said the Leafs were after a big name dman but both backed away for various reasons. Now I could be wrong so please correct me if that's the case, but I don't think the name was ever mentioned.

At the time I thought Pie was the guy, and it made sense that things fell apart because SLB were on the upswing.

If that's the case (and that's speculation on my part), maybe they're revisiting that?

Reactions: MyBudJT

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I didn't say anything about it being a good or bad deal. I was just adding to your excellent analysis of "one shoots left and one shoots right".

Gardiner is getting paid about the amount I think I would be comfortable with, even if he's healthy. It's a fair deal.

Gardiner's deal is an absolute steal

If you can get a top 4D under 30 years of age capable of 40-50 points for 4M with that much term you should be doing backflips, he also didn't cost anything to acquire besides cap space

Jesus, I can't believe how underrated he is by this fan base

My analysis was excellent, it's nice to see you appreciating quality commentary like that so thank you and the right left thing holds since Meyers got 6.5M for being significantly worse

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I rember after the trade deadline Chris Johnston said the Leafs were after a big name dman but both backed away for various reasons. Now I could be wrong so please correct me if that's the case, but I don't think the name was ever mentioned.

At the time I thought Pie was the guy, and it made sense that things fell apart because SLB were on the upswing.

If that's the case (and that's speculation on my part), maybe they're revisiting that?

Actually yeah, a name was mentioned. It wasn't Pietrangelo.

It was Adam Larsson from the Oilers. Apparently a deal came very close to happening too (a deal centered around Connor Brown +)

Reactions: Jmo89

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Actually yeah, a name was mentioned. It wasn't Pietrangelo.

It was Adam Larsson from the Oilers. Apparently a deal came very close to happening too (a deal centered around Connor Brown +)

Ah, thanks for the info. I remember the talk about AL, but didn't realize that is who CJ was talking about.

Could the Leafs even pull off a trade for a guy like Pie? They don't have alot of depth left to trade. Plus the money going out would have to match the money coming in.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Gardiner's deal is an absolute steal

If you can get a top 4D under 30 years of age capable of 40-50 points for 4M with that much term you should be doing backflips, he also didn't cost anything to acquire besides cap space

Jesus, I can't believe how underrated he is by this fan base

My analysis was excellent, it's nice to see you appreciating quality commentary like that so thank you and the right left thing holds since Meyers got 6.5M for being significantly worse

If you average out Gardiner’s play, it’s worth more than his contract. If you’re a non-playoff team, or if you’re a team that needs that kind of player during the regular season, sure it’s a really good deal.

He is, however, a player than absolutely cannot be trusted to perform in high pressure situations. If you are a team that makes the playoffs with or without him, I’m not sure if I would even want him at any price.

How much to you want to pay a guy who has proven time and again that he will defiantly fold?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If you average out Gardiner’s play, it’s worth more than his contract. If you’re a non-playoff team, or if you’re a team that needs that kind of player during the regular season, sure it’s a really good deal.

He is, however, a player than absolutely cannot be trusted to perform in high pressure situations. If you are a team that makes the playoffs with or without him, I’m not sure if I would even want him at any price.

How much to you want to pay a guy who has proven time and again that he will defiantly fold?

When Gardiner is on the ice almost every available metric says his team is better, the end

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Ah, thanks for the info. I remember the talk about AL, but didn't realize that is who CJ was talking about.

Could the Leafs even pull off a trade for a guy like Pie? They don't have alot of depth left to trade. Plus the money going out would have to match the money coming in.

In order to trade for Pietra, it will be a Kings ransom. Considering the Leafa don’t have their 1st rounder this year. And the only way that worth trading for Pietra to extend with the Leafs, but where are the Leafs going to get the money?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
In order to trade for Pietra, it will be a Kings ransom. Considering the Leafa don’t have their 1st rounder this year. And the only way that worth trading for Pietra to extend with the Leafs, but where are the Leafs going to get the money?

I think he means as a UFA.

We could fit him in easily in an 84.5 cap with about 1.5 to spare.
Trade mango and and you have about 4.6 to spend on a. D with

Reilly. AP
Xxxx. Dermott
Sandin. Lily.
Random league min

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Not entirely sure about that. 1-year rentals, even if elite, don't seem to garner that much on the market.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I ask this because he doesn't seem like he's scared to make bold moves, Tavares, Barrie, Muzzin he's made the big move before.

But Dubas didn't have his 2019 1st, and doesn't have his 2020 1st I'm not sure he's good to want to go 3 street years without a 1st.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No.
He may or may not move the 2022 though.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
We are starting to see the first signs of that. Guys like Dion and Marleau aren't getting offers.

Teams have wised up (finally) days of mediocre vets getting 3-5 mil as ufa are over

Which is a nice spot to be in a team that can offer a good chance to win and just needs some mediocre vets to fill in the cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad