Just throwing stuff out there...

CBJ:

Savard
Korpisalo

TOR:

Kapanen
Ceci
Hutchinson

Something based around Kap for Nutivaara/ Savard makes a lot of sense for us, not so much for them. They're stacked on the right side. Swapping Johnsson in makes a better fit

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Something based around Kap for Nutivaara/ Savard makes a lot of sense for us, not so much for them. They're stacked on the right side. Swapping Johnsson in makes a better fit

I'd also be okay with that as well.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Agreed.

He's a better face puncher maybe but he's a really bad d-man.

I think we saw the good and bad of Marty Marincin last night. I'm not sure why they keep pushing the whole "he plays better when he's confident narrative". He's had 3-4 years to prove that & in a game where it was 4-1 in the 3rd and they needed to play him to rest the top 4 for a back-to-back, he struggled to break out of his own end & make any decent pass.

While Gravel may be the equivalent to Marincin and in your opinion - a really bad dman, what's the downside of replacing Marincin with Gravel?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think we saw the good and bad of Marty Marincin last night. I'm not sure why they keep pushing the whole "he plays better when he's confident narrative". He's had 3-4 years to prove that & in a game where it was 4-1 in the 3rd and they needed to play him to rest the top 4 for a back-to-back, he struggled to break out of his own end & make any decent pass.

While Gravel may be the equivalent to Marincin and in your opinion - a really bad dman, what's the downside of replacing Marincin with Gravel?

I thought Marincin was mostly fine last night outside of he and Holl having Marcus Foligno get behind them.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

As much as Muzzin brings an element that almost none of his teammates bring, it would be a grave error to extend him for a long term. 2 or 3 years max. I see the skating right now. He's not that far away from struggling against speed at some point in the near future.

Reactions: Dragao6

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

He still seemed to ice the puck from relatively easy touches a few times. There was also that time Foligno got a breakaway on Marincin Holl in a way that should never happen to a 3rd pairing. I'd like to see Gravel since he's here and get an idea of what he's capable of doing. I suspect Marincin's better.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As much as Muzzin brings an element that almost none of his teammates bring, it would be a grave error to extend him for a long term. 2 or 3 years max. I see the skating right now. He's not that far away from struggling against speed at some point in the near future.

You're 100% right. He's what we need right now....but he definitely won't be what he is in 2-3 years. Need to get these guys when they're a bit younger so we can enjoy their primes more.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I am perfectly fine letting Sandin develop as a top 4 dman in the AHL. It is the right thing to do. Getting 10-12 minutes a night on the third pairing isn't doing him or the Leafs any good. He needs to develop next to Llijegren another season so they can continue to grow as a pairing. That is our future.

As for Gravel, I am fine with he and Marincin rotating based on matchups until Dermott is back. Once Dermott is back, he and Holl will be a decent 3rd pairing. I really like how Holl has been playing. With Dermott I believe the combo will be even more effective.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I really think there is an opportunity to dangle Kapanen once Hyman is back.

Johnsson-Nylander
Hyman-Marner
Soup-Moore
Timashov-Shore/Goat
Petan-Korshkov
Agostino-Bracco

There is enough wing depth that we can part with Kapanen. If we can find a similar contracted RHD, that would be amazing. Even toss in Ceci into the deal to give us some cap relief for this year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I really think there is an opportunity to dangle Kapanen once Hyman is back.

Johnsson-Nylander
Hyman-Marner
Soup-Moore
Timashov-Shore/Goat
Petan-Korshkov
Agostino-Bracco

There is enough wing depth that we can part with Kapanen. If we can find a similar contracted RHD, that would be amazing. Even toss in Ceci into the deal to give us some cap relief for this year.

It would have to be quite the defenseman, or more attached, if we are giving up both Kapanen and Ceci. Considering how well Ceci has performed so far this year, that is a hefty offering we are giving up.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
When Hyman comes back healthy, I would try to use Kapanen to pry Evan Bouchard out of Edmonton. I would even add Lilgeren to the trade. Pair him with Sandin on the Marlies and bingo, you've got a solid second pairing for next season.

Big, local kid (Oakville), RHD who plays a solid game on both ends of the ice. Perfect partner for the smaller shifty Sandin. Evan Bouchard at eliteprospects.com

Kapanen would look fantastic next to McDavid. Gives us some cap relief for this season.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010

this where cap teams get into trouble. No problem extending a guy but has to be on your term and dollars. Team has an internal budget and players can't decline getting paid big $$$

Chicago mind you won cups but got in that trouble by paying the Bryan Bickells , Brandon Saads of the world big money

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Anybody on Minnesota of interest?

Sounds like there open for business and need guys that shoot right, which we've got a ton of up front

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
foligno and greenway would make leafs a lot heavier

Ideally you'd want defensive help of some sort rather than another forward that would be stapled to the 4th line, even if diversification up front would be beneficial

Reactions: Buds17

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He's no better than Marincin, Holl or Gravel IMO.
Only Diff is McQuaid got more NHL exp than all of them combined. As a 3rd pairing D, those exp are a huge differences, esp since Dermott will be playing on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad