Trades and Free Agent Talk - A New Season A New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I am all for trading Kapanen and Johnson for cheaper bigger players. The past couple of games have shown that Moore and Micheyev can play in the top 6.

Package Kapanen or Johnson with Ceci for a big tough RHD. Manson??

Kapanen and Ceci FOR Manson and Ritchie

OR

Kapanen and Ceci FOR Brodin and Foligno

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
People generally talk trades when they are pissed and want to get rid of players.
People also have no patience on here. The season is just getting started and already there are whipping boys.

It's funny because Gardiner was the whipping boy for years, and now that he's gone it's like the herd of whipping wolves are trying to narrow in on another whipping boy. It's only early but it's looking like it's going to be Kapanen.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
People also have no patience on here. The season is just getting started and already there are whipping boys.

It's funny because Gardiner was the whipping boy for years, and now that he's gone it's like the herd of whipping wolves are trying to narrow in on another whipping boy. It's only early but it's looking like it's going to be Kapanen.

The funny thing is, Kapanen has been a more effective player for us than guys like Johnsson, when you consider Kapanen’s defensive responsibilities and playing his off-wing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

That won't last. It always has to be a defenseman in Leafland.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's true, mine is Marincin
Good call, it almost always a guy on the bottom pair.
Ceci was the early favourite but that seems to have ebbed.
Barrie could be the next one in line.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Good call, it almost always a guy on the bottom pair.
Ceci was the early favourite but that seems to have ebbed.
Barrie could be the next one in line.
We really need a current whipping boy ranking. I'll give mine:
1. Babcock
2. Kapanen
3. Johnnson
4. Hutchinson
5. Marincin
6. Ceci
7. Dubas
8. Tavares
9. Marner
10. Nylander

If we lose, it's these guys' fault! If we win, it's because of Moore and Mikheyev!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We really need a current whipping boy ranking. I'll give mine:
1. Babcock
2. Kapanen
3. Johnnson
4. Hutchinson
5. Marincin
6. Ceci
7. Dubas
8. Tavares
9. Marner
10. Nylander

If we lose, it's these guys' fault! If we win, it's because of Moore and Mikheyev!

Interesting you listed Willie at 10. He is higher on my list. He should be producing at a higher rate given that he is playing with Matthews.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Willie has the highest potential to jump to #1 very quickly.

Agreed. He was so good his first couple of years. He has a good shot yet misses many of his chances. This team needs Nylander to get on the scoresheet. Matty has 1 assist in 8 games. Laine has 9.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I would package Johnsson and Ceci for a RHD version of Muzzin plus get a backup at the same time. AJ is a dime a dozen on this team and guys in the minors can replace him on the big club.

I saw a Manson proposal earlier which would be awesome but I don't think the Ducks would go for it.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
2020-21:
Korshkov-Matthews-Marner
Mikheyev-Tavares-Hyman
Moore-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Brooks-Gauthier-Engvall
Timashov

Muzzin-Pietrangelo
Rielly-Pesce
Sandin-Liljegren

Andersen
Domingue

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Interesting you listed Willie at 10. He is higher on my list. He should be producing at a higher rate given that he is playing with Matthews.
No love either for Hyman? He's got to be right near the top (close to Babcock) as far a whipping boys go.

Reactions: Buds17

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
No love either for Hyman? He's got to be right near the top (close to Babcock) as far a whipping boys go.
Hyman was a huge whipping boy last couple seasons but he lost his hype by playing too good. Also with him being injured all the whippers forgot about him for now.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Marner and Hutch should be higher too. Marner has had like a few good periods where he racked up a bunch of points (sometimes even without having to do much) but many where he was just underwhelming or worse. Hutch just can't play consistently.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner and Hutch should be higher too. Marner has had like a few good periods where he racked up a bunch of points (sometimes even without having to do much) but many where he was just underwhelming or worse. Hutch just can't play consistently.

Marner has built up too much credit to be a target yet. I bet he turns it around before he runs out. Marner, Tavares, and Rielly's poor start has kept Nylander out of the spotlight. Once they turn it around, Nylander will be a target if he is not hitting the scoresheet enough.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I am all for trading Kapanen and Johnson for cheaper bigger players. The past couple of games have shown that Moore and Micheyev can play in the top 6.

Package Kapanen or Johnson with Ceci for a big tough RHD. Manson??

Kapanen and Ceci FOR Manson and Ritchie

OR

Kapanen and Ceci FOR Brodin and Foligno

I can see why Toronto would be interested, but not seeing why Anaheim would show any interest in this. IMHO a middling winger and an average/questionable defender do not equal a 1st pairing defender. The gap is pretty significant.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I can see why Toronto would be interested, but not seeing why Anaheim would show any interest in this. IMHO a middling winger and an average/questionable defender do not equal a 1st pairing defender. The gap is pretty significant.
It's not even close in value. Toronto needs a significant add there, and Anaheim has already traded away 2 other significant RD in the last 18 months.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

IMO any trade for a decent dman starts with Nylander or Dermott/Sandin + AJ or Kappy. Only way any team would be interested in Ceci if he was only owed the minimum in salary.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Why do people value Kapanen like he's gonna get you a top prospect or top pairing RD? Walker is a very underrated player who can play 20 mins a night and does very well doing that now. Here he probably wouldn't have to play that much and him and Dermott would be a pretty dominate 3rd pair. Next year we could re sign him at a pretty good price because it's unlikely we can keep both Ceci and Barrie and he can easily move up. Clifford is a bottom 6 player which is exactly what Kapanen is looking like right now and probably will be on our team for the rest of his contract and Clifford is much cheaper and brings something to our team we lack.

Why do people want to trade young players at there lowest possible value all the time?

As we've seen, that never blows up in any body's face :laugh:

Here's this young guy, scored 20 goals last season but bugger me he's had a rough 6 games to start this year, where's 2 bottom of the lineup types at least one of whom we definitely don't need we can trade him for

How about this, if somebody isn't willing to trade something decent for him we hang onto him instead?

I'd hate to see you people in the stock market, buy high sell low isn't good strategy

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Agreed. He was so good his first couple of years. He has a good shot yet misses many of his chances. This team needs Nylander to get on the scoresheet. Matty has 1 assist in 8 games. Laine has 9.

Why do we care about Laine again? he is of no consequence to Matthews this has been well and truly been proven. Unless you mean 9 assists compared to Nylander then maybe that's a reason to bring him up?

Also are you suggesting that Matthews has been providing tap ins that nylander is missing or that assists are easy, with this post?.

We all agree Matthews is the best player right? so why does he only have 1 assist? Matthews passing has been way off so far this season, so has nylander's shooting obviously.

Actually off topic but Marners made some terrible passes so far this season, been noticing them missing by quite a way sometimes which is very uncharacteristic for him. I was just reminded of that while thinking about the last few games.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why do we care about Laine again? he is of no consequence to Matthews this has been well and truly been proven. Unless you mean 9 assists compared to Nylander then maybe that's a reason to bring him up?

Also are you suggesting that Matthews has been providing tap ins that nylander is missing or that assists are easy, with this post?.

We all agree Matthews is the best player right? so why does he only have 1 assist? Matthews passing has been way off so far this season, so has nylander's shooting obviously.

Actually off topic but Marners made some terrible passes so far this season, been noticing them missing by quite a way sometimes which is very uncharacteristic for him. I was just reminded of that while thinking about the last few games.

You are reading way too much into it. For Laine, who is strictly a goal scorer to have 9 assists to Matty's 1 is saying something. Heck Rielly had 4 apples in a period. Not suggesting anybody is missing tap ins from Matthews because Matthews hasn't really set anybody up. We need more from Matthews, Nylander and AJ, especially now with JT out.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Neither Muzzin nor Barrie required a Nylander level asset.

Not sure why currently that's now.the case?

I was thinking a better dman than Muzzin (first, Grundstrom and Durzi). A RHD like Parayko and Dumba who can be paired with Rielly. You are not getting such a dman for AJ or Kappy and Ceci.

Reactions: rumman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad