Trades and Free Agent Talk - A New Season A New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Talking about on ice value is nice but if he goes there is a gigantic hole beside Rielly again and nobody knows if Dermott or anybody else within the organisation can fill it

Below average is better than nothing or young guy that's going to get his confidence crushed if things go wrong because we don't have anybody else and he has to play there

Any scenario I see with Ceci being moved is with a second trade also involved to bring someone in to fill his role.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Any scenario I see with Ceci being moved is with a second trade also involved to bring someone in to fill his role.

So were going to trade for a top pair RD? That sounds expensive for a team that has already traded it's 1st

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
If we traded Ceci, and Dermott got injured, it almost certainly wouldn't be Holl beside Rielly lol It would probably be Liljegren.

I don't think Ceci is going anywhere, but if we don't move someone, we need to run a 20/21 man roster when Hyman and Dermott are back. So if Dermott plugs in beside Rielly, and Ceci can get us an asset, it's not the craziest thing in the world.
Liljegren couldn't even make the team but he's jumping up to play second pairing? Interesting. We have a wide open 3rd pairing spot right side spot right now and he's behind Holl and Marincin. Not sure how he got the big promotion. All a moot point though, Ceci isn't going anywhere

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
ONce. Hyman comes back would it be ok then
To trade kappanen for defensive help.

Kappanen won’t be in a top six role at that time

Mikheyev Kerfoot Moore is a very good third line
And is showing lots of chemistry. Do you add kappanen
And demote Moore

Petan gauthier Spezza Timashov are all capable fourth liners

I think you have to look hard at trading kappanen for defence/backup/cap space at trade deadline help

What am I missing

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So were going to trade for a top pair RD? That sounds expensive for a team that has already traded it's 1st

I think Kapanen has enough value to get a pretty decent piece. Rumor was Dubas was trying to dangle him for Pesce.

If the Leafs think theyve got enough depth wingers to cover his loss I think Dubas may bite.

I'm not a big "trade Kapaen" guy, but given the bit of ambiguity surrounding Muzzin's and Barries future I think Dubas may want his absolute highest quality lineup this season for the playoffs and I dont think he wants to move many more futures

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think Kapanen has enough value to get a pretty decent piece. Rumor was Dubas was trying to dangle him for Pesce.

If the Leafs think theyve got enough depth wingers to cover his loss I think Dubas may bite.

I'm not a big "trade Kapaen" guy, but given the bit of ambiguity surrounding Muzzin's and Barries future I think Dubas may want his absolute highest quality lineup this season for the playoffs and I dont think he wants to move many more futures

Our highest quality line-up would have Kapanen on the 3rd line, I've got no problem trading him but I don't think his value is as high as most people seem to assume

If he brings in a top pair RD without a massive + attached to him I'll be shocked and to say I'm against trading a young cost controlled player for a rental would be an understatement

We've already bleed more assets than I'm comfortable with without adding to it

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Our highest quality line-up would have Kapanen on the 3rd line, I've got no problem trading him but I don't think his value is as high as most people seem to assume

If he brings in a top pair RD without a massive + attached to him I'll be shocked and to say I'm against trading a young cost controlled player for a rental would be an understatement

We've already bleed more assets than I'm comfortable with without adding to it

I think Kapanen is young enough with a good enough reputation to being in a younger D man more so than a rental.

And let's face it too - Ceci isnt a top pairing guy even on his best day. I think theres a fair room for Improvement here

Reactions: garce

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Half of the GMs cant guage the value of Dmen, but you can?

Lmfao gtfo

What makes you half the GMs in this league are competent at their jobs?

I see the same stupid decisions being made year after year.

Look no further than the Leafs GMs of he past decade - no more than half of them have been above average.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
What makes you half the GMs in this league are competent at their jobs?

I see the same stupid decisions being made year after year.

Look no further than the Leafs GMs of he past decade - no more than half of them have been above average.

Yes let's see your resume vs the GMs in the NHL.

I'm sure you know how to run an organization

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yes let's see your resume vs the GMs in the NHL.

I'm sure you know how to run an organization
Nice appeal to authority.

None of us can step onto the ice at the NHL level either so I guess we should just altogether stop critiquing players.

Rangers put Pionk on their top pairing and watched him get absolutely slaughtered, and there were reportedly quite a bit of interest in him specifically because "he's shown he can handle big minutes." Just an example.

Reactions: Menzinger

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Would anyone be interested in a Marcus foligno (875000 retained) for Kapanen?
He's something we are clearly missing in the forward group.

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
To me the main reason to trade Ceci or another D, would be to recoup assets before we lose them to free agency. I'd rather wait and see how the season is going after Christmas before I'd pull the trigger on that. If Lilijgren was playing too well to keep in the minors we could trade him to make room, but I'd rather be deep on D for the playoffs if the team is looking good. If they were fighting for the playoffs and routinely losing to better teams, I might try and get a prospect or picks for whoever we weren't gonna sign.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
What decisions made by Burke or Nonis makes you think they have any business being anywhere near running a pro hockey team?

Imo respect is something earned not gifted.

Winning a Stanley cup. Something the Leafs haven't done in over 50 years. So clearly, it's not that easy

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
If kapanen was traded it would be for futures to create some cap space. Friedman was talking on the radio this morning suggesting that when hyman is back it is likely moore who is gets demoted. i would be surprised if they move kapanen at this point.

johnsson-matthews-nylander
hyman-tavares-marner
mikeheyev-kerfoot-kapanen
moore-spezza-goat

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If kapanen was traded it would be for futures to create some cap space. Friedman was talking on the radio this morning suggesting that when hyman is back it is likely moore who is gets demoted. i would be surprised if they move kapanen at this point.

johnsson-matthews-nylander
hyman-tavares-marner
mikeheyev-kerfoot-kapanen
moore-spezza-goat

Not in a million f***ing years.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not in a million ****ing years.

It's what I'd expect to see happen without a trade. Can't say I'd like to see that demotion, but I don't know that there's a way around it.

Wouldn't like to see Kapanen traded just for futures/cap space either, but I also don't know who should get bumped from the lineup (assuming we can even take back a salary due to the cap situation). With some key pending UFAs on the blueline though, it'd be nice to acquire someone with that in mind.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Not in a million ****ing years.

Kapanen was signed to a $3.2 million contract. He isnt going to get pushed out just because moore is doing well on the 3rd line.

People are reacting to his play but not acknowledging that he is playing his off wing and asked to play and perform a role he isnt accustomed to.

you dont think moore should go back to the 4th line because he is playing well. if kapanen is playing well with marner and tavares by the time hyman is ready the same logic should be applied. would that mean hyman should play on the 4th line?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kapanen was signed to a $3.2 million contract. He isnt going to get pushed out just because moore is doing well on the 3rd line.

People are reacting to his play but not acknowledging that he is playing his off wing and asked to play and perform a role he isnt accustomed to.

you dont think moore should go back to the 4th line because he is playing well. if kapanen is playing well with marner and tavares by the time hyman is ready the same logic should be applied. would that mean hyman should play on the 4th line?

Hyman might benefit from starting lower in the line up as he's missed a ton of time but at some point the hope would be he gets back in on the JT-Marner line as that was probably our most consistent line last season.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Hyman might benefit from starting lower in the line up as he's missed a ton of time but at some point the hope would be he gets back in on the JT-Marner line as that was probably our most consistent line last season.

Frankly I think that line's struggles so far are less to do with Kapanen and more to do with how pedestrian Marner looks 5v5 out there.

Still, I don't think anything drastic needs to be done ATM. Rielly needs to be better, and generally our team-D needs improvement, but it's still quite early.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Frankly I think that line's struggles so far are less to do with Kapanen and more to do with how pedestrian Marner looks 5v5 out there.

Still, I don't think anything drastic needs to be done ATM. Rielly needs to be better, and generally our team-D needs improvement, but it's still quite early.

I'd agree. JT looked like he was getting his mojo back last night but Marner has been ass. He's over pt/game and you'd think just looking at the stat sheet he's been good but he hasn't been impactful like he was last year at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad