Trades and Free Agency - 2022 Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Not saying he will sign in Toronto, but Kadri has already won a cup, so he may want to (not likely) come back "home"
*Shrugs*
Very small chance it happens, I'm ok with it if it does.
He's after the money. He paid his dues. I hope he gets a ridiculous contract he'll never live up to. Hopefully from a western Canadian team.

Reactions: Metroid

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Leafs do have a ton of depth for bottom 6 forwards, guys who could play in a pinch.

Focusing on what they have in house, having flexibility and ability to accumulate cap space could be their best bet.
I agree.
I’m personally hoping both JoeyA and Malgin have good camps and force the issue.
Joey has been a good soldier down on the Marlies, has a good leadership history, paid his dues, played well, and not one lick of a complaint.
Malgin is walking into a near no-win situation, but still, all kindsa talent and coming off two very good euro years.
I don’t mind the idea of Willy on his offwing, so maybe Karnkrok becomes their third wheel.
Keep NAK, Malgin and JoeyA to split the last two RW spots. All bring different looks.

Zero chance our management would take him back at $ 1mil.
Welllllll…..I think they might do *that*.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
PLD seems like a trade that's going to get done early in the season, once rosters are sorted out and teams see how they're doing through 20~ games

If Dubois doesn't wanna play for you, it's not good to keep him around.

Saw that in CBJ, just has to be something decent, I imagine WPG wants a 1st or a damn good piece back.

MTL doesn't wanna lose the Bedard lottery ticket.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I don't think Rodrigues would sign here .. isn't that happened when the Leafs traded for his rights in the Kapanen deal? They couldn't come to an agreement so he went unqualified as a UFA and re-signed with Pittsburgh.

He's also probably trying to get some bank after his hot start to the season.

I'd be good with that though, Dubas probably would have interest.
Mirtle mentioned that was only because he didn't feel he had a good opportunity here. That is now different with the 2nd line LW right there for the taking

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So, the other day I made a comment about not seeing any Robertson highlights on Youtube, so I checked out some Marlies highlights during my downtime, and holy **** he was good last year.

They gotta give him a long leash this season.

I certainly hope that's the case. If he can have an impact season (say 15-20 goals) that's huge for the Leafs at his caphit

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I certainly hope that's the case. If he can have an impact season (say 15-20 goals) that's huge for the Leafs at his caphit
Maybe cobble together two 2nd lines.
NickRob/JT and ?
Engvall/Jarnkrok/WN

Could Aube-Kubel do Hyman work?

We see what playing with stars did for him and Bunting.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So, the other day I made a comment about not seeing any Robertson highlights on Youtube, so I checked out some Marlies highlights during my downtime, and holy **** he was good last year.

They gotta give him a long leash this season.
Hoping he makes the team out of camp and we’ll know by Christmas what they have.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Apparantilely Philemon Kessel is almost writing a new deal down with some "contending canadian team"... it cannot be us no? Kessel sold the fans and us investors out with the comments and got ran out of town. But wich team is it then? Oilers or the flames no? The reports are saying a contender canadian team

Reactions: Stigma and smitty10

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Apparantilely Philemon Kessel is almost writing a new deal down with some "contending canadian team"... it cannot be us no? Kessel sold the fans and us investors out with the comments and got ran out of town. But wich team is it then? Oilers or the flames no? The reports are saying a contender canadian team

It could be us, Kessel loved Toronto, took the cup here on his day with it after his first win with Pittsburgh.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Imho the deadline this year will have lots of sellers. I’d assume people that are close at the deadline will probably sell off easier this year because of Bedard. I think we should hold are assets until the trade deadline hoping for a sellers market. The D looks good, goalies are a coin flip but as we seen last year, at least in regular season, we can score bad goal tending. Biggest need is probably a winger for JT. Marner is the best fit there but I’m not sure Keefe has the balls to do what’s best. Nylander and Matthews is better the Nylander and JT. If we keep kerfoot I think the third line is deep enough and fourth line should be fine.

Nylander/Matthews/ Bunting
Marner/ JT/ Robertson?
Engvall/ kerfoot/ Jarnkrok
NAK/Kampf/Clifford?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I don’t really want Kessel. But how did how did he sell the fans out?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Edmonton sports radio has been discussing him for a couple of weeks. Right shot veteran forward with the playoff chops to be a real pp contributor. Draisaitl is an effective center away from McDavid but they don't have enough goal scoring on the wings. Hyman led their wingers in goals and he really isnt a sniper. Kane gives them one, RNH has lost his finish and they want him at 3C anyways. I would be shocked if they aren't the ones and if he clicks at all he could have a nice bounce back. Yet another Leaf to the Oil.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Imho the deadline this year will have lots of sellers. I’d assume people that are close at the deadline will probably sell off easier this year because of Bedard. I think we should hold are assets until the trade deadline hoping for a sellers market. The D looks good, goalies are a coin flip but as we seen last year, at least in regular season, we can score bad goal tending. Biggest need is probably a winger for JT. Marner is the best fit there but I’m not sure Keefe has the balls to do what’s best. Nylander and Matthews is better the Nylander and JT. If we keep kerfoot I think the third line is deep enough and fourth line should be fine.

Nylander/Matthews/ Bunting
Marner/ JT/ Robertson?
Engvall/ kerfoot/ Jarnkrok
NAK/Kampf/Clifford?
I think teams that see they could be on the outside by midseason will start offloading way before TDL. Michkov is supposed to be Bedard level and Fantilli is supposed to be the best power forward prospect in years. Some are saying this years top picks would not even be pushing into the top 5 next year. This is a year to tank and when it starts we could see younger more talented players served up than ever before.

Reactions: Mad hatter

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kessel is such a natural talent I don't this age is catching up to him as it does others.

The underlying numbers say its caught up to him in a big way but could be he's just been half assing it in Arizona.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sounds like Edmonton is in on him based on their beat reporters talking points. At this point you wonder if it’s a troll job that they’re collecting every ex-Leaf possible. Waiting for them to go hard after Reimer if Jack needs some tandem support.

Kessel just had a kid and his wife is from here, so Toronto on a Spezza deal would also be nice and comfy if that could happen.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Sounds like Edmonton is in on him based on their beat reporters talking points. At this point you wonder if it’s a troll job that they’re collecting every ex-Leaf possible. Waiting for them to go hard after Reimer if Jack needs some tandem support.

Kessel just had a kid and his wife is from here, so Toronto on a Spezza deal would also be nice and comfy if that could happen.
I love Kessel, but there's no spot for him on this roster in a regular role unless there are some major moves.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I love Kessel, but there's no spot for him on this roster in a regular role unless there are some major moves.

If he comes cheap, he can be a bottom 6 offensive guy.

IDK if he is fine with the media, but since he would not be a core player anymore, maybe he flies under the radar.

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
I think this is the year to go for more balance on the offensive lines. We need more than one line going in the playoffs, so why not develop that through the regular season?

I still think moving Kerfoot and signing Rodrigues at a fraction of the cost and freeing up cap and line-up space is the way to go. Allows us to add ZAR. Gives us a line up with a 1a and 1b and a 3a and 3b:

Bunting / Matthews / Nylander
Robertson / Tavares / Marner
Engvall / Kampf / Jarnkrok
ZAR / Rodrigues/ NAK

Anderson / Gaudette / Malgin
Clifford / Douglass / Simmonds

I think this makes too much sense. Matthews and Marner can each carry a line and reunite on the PP and at crunch times in the game. Marner is a playmaker with JT and Robertson and a strong defensive player on that line. AM34 already has chemistry with Bunting...Nylander has to be able to make it work with that line...if not, time to move on from Willy perhaps.

Our third line is a strong checking line with some ability to chip in some goals and we actually have a fourth line with purpose and we have Marlie depth too.
I would prefer to go after a Milano type over a ZAR in this scenario.
He can play 2L or 3L in this scenario, in both cases it pushes Engval to 4 LW with Rodrigues and NAK which would be a great 4th line. (I may even slot in Rodrigues as 3C in scenarios when you need a goal, with Milano and Jarnkrok.)

Other thing it does is really helps PP2.
Right now, PP1 is Matthews, Marner, Nyalnder, Reilly and Tavares. Who is PP2? Robertson, Engval, Jarnkrok, Sandin. No real playmakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad