Trades and Free Agency - 2022 Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I love Kessel, but there's no spot for him on this roster in a regular role unless there are some major moves.
There is a 2nd line LW spot for him to take. If we are relying on Murray for "cup wins", why not bring in a player who arguably was the MVP of those teams?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
There is a 2nd line LW spot for him to take. If we are relying on Murray for "cup wins", why not bring in a player who arguably was the MVP of those teams?

He's always been a RW'er though... not sure how he would adapt to the left side.

You'd be better off moving Willy over to the left side on that line. Even still he hasn't done that position full time yet.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He's always been a RW'er though... not sure how he would adapt to the left side.

You'd be better off moving Willy over to the left side on that line. Even still he hasn't done that position full time yet.
Right. Didn't think of that. I would still consider it. It does block Robertson again so not sure. Id like insurance in case Robertson isn't ready.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Right. Didn't think of that. I would still consider it. It does block Robertson again so not sure. Id like insurance in case Robertson isn't ready.

I'd probably rather go a bit younger with one of Milano, Donato, or Heinen ... Guys who have shown flashes but haven't put it together, and may have upside.

Between one of them, Roberston, and Knies, I think they can find a fit.

Then again depends on what they do with Kerfoot too.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
What is everyones though on Engvall getting a shot with Tavares? Engvall is a mucker/forechecker with speed to burn. He battles down low. Good on the cycle. The type of player Tavares has typically had success with. Once the Kerfoot/Holl moves hopefully happen, maybe you can grab Milano/Rodrigues and stick them on the other side. Let's you slide Nylander down to play with Jarnkrok.

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Engvall- Tavares - Rodrigues/Milano
Robertson - Jarnkrok - Nylander
NAK - Kampf - ZAR
Simmonds

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'd probably rather go a bit younger with one of Milano, Donato, or Heinen ... Guys who have shown flashes but haven't put it together, and may have upside.

Thats probably my plan A option as well. Id do Kessel if other options are gone

What is everyones though on Engvall getting a shot with Tavares? Engvall is a mucker/forechecker with speed to burn. He battles down low. Good on the cycle. The type of player Tavares has typically had success with. Once the Kerfoot/Holl moves hopefully happen, maybe you can grab Milano/Rodrigues and stick them on the other side. Let's you slide Nylander down to play with Jarnkrok.

NAK - Kampf - ZAR
Simmonds
Not a bad idea. This way you can made adjustments in game and create a defensive shutdown line too when you're protecting a lead

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Yeah the younger wingers would be preferable to Kessel for the 82 game season. But I wonder if Phil has a little something to give in the playoffs.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I would prefer to go after a Milano type over a ZAR in this scenario.
He can play 2L or 3L in this scenario, in both cases it pushes Engval to 4 LW with Rodrigues and NAK which would be a great 4th line. (I may even slot in Rodrigues as 3C in scenarios when you need a goal, with Milano and Jarnkrok.)

Other thing it does is really helps PP2.
Right now, PP1 is Matthews, Marner, Nyalnder, Reilly and Tavares. Who is PP2? Robertson, Engval, Jarnkrok, Sandin. No real playmakers.
Yeah, I actually thought about Milano over ZAR in my scenario.

I think ZAR gives us more of what we need and need desperately in the playoffs.

I worry that our second line with Nylander and Tavares is not defensively sound enough and adding Robertson to that line doesn't solve it, neither does Milano...in fact it may add to the problem.

This is why I like having Marner with Tavares (and Robertson) and Nylander with Matthews (and Bunting). With this top 6, I don't see where Milano fits in and he is not a bottom six player, certainly not one that gives out bottom six and identity.

Isn't it a flag that Anaheim did qualify Milano?

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022

NAK - Kampf - ZAR
Simmonds
Id say youre killing any chance of tavares winning people back with a kadri-like performance next season if you anchor him with engvall.

Tavares has another 90 point season in him (from my end he can even get 100 next year if all goes well) and we need him to get it. Engvall does not have the skills for top 6 and he never will.

Reactions: francis246

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
I think people are very wrong about Tavares / Nylander duo. Think back to pre-covid where they were better than matthews / marner as a duo for a good stretch. Matthews and Nylander were in top 5 goal scoring paces after a certain date in December. Nylander was putting up game winning goals left right and centre went from 0 to 7 in a month.

Tavares is not someone you write off after one down year. Down year for people like this are 70-80 points. Give this duo another chance they will not disappoint.

Leafs need to take this duo more serious and get them a skill winger either take chance on a milano or trade for someone in a viktor arvidsson tier. Goal scoring version of kerfoot tier not an assist version which is why cap hit goes into 4 mil range since scoring worth more. Bjorkstrand would have been nice there for the price, put nylander on LW he enjoys cutting to the middle when he's on left and shooting anyways. Trade muzzin for the cap space (if needed but prefer holl/kerfoot traded) and just play Sandin. Sink or swim time for him.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I’ve been on this cheap Kessel idea for
months. Reports of him declining are a little exaggerated. In his last year with Pittsburgh, he had 82 points. On a really crappy Arizona team, he had 52 points this past year. Last year, he actually did quite well…..20 goals and 43 points in 52 games.
I can easily see him getting 60 to 70 points on the second line on the Leafs. He is also proven to be mentally tough enough to excel in playoff hockey. He’s been a great contributor in that area. Also he’s the Iron Man of the league……No worries about him getting injured. I absolutely trade
Kerfoot to make space for him. If Edmonton get him, I’m gonna be seriously bitter.

Reactions: LeafChief

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think people are very wrong about Tavares / Nylander duo. Think back to pre-covid where they were better than matthews / marner as a duo for a good stretch. Matthews and Nylander were in top 5 goal scoring paces after a certain date in December. Nylander was putting up game winning goals left right and centre went from 0 to 7 in a month.

Tavares is not someone you write off after one down year. Down year for people like this are 70-80 points. Give this duo another chance they will not disappoint.

Leafs need to take this duo more serious and get them a skill winger either take chance on a milano or trade for someone in a viktor arvidsson tier. Goal scoring version of kerfoot tier not an assist version which is why cap hit goes into 4 mil range since scoring worth more. Bjorkstrand would have been nice there for the price, put nylander on LW he enjoys cutting to the middle when he's on left and shooting anyways. Trade muzzin for the cap space (if needed but prefer holl/kerfoot traded) and just play Sandin. Sink or swim time for him.

Even last year they played pretty well early on together. Best line for a bit last year too. It's worked before, and it's probably in our best interest getting them going again.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021

People saw this duo do most of the heavy lifting after game 2 but still want both of them gone. They had game 6 won and Tavares got us game 7 with his power move to the middle until it was called off. Nylander even crashed the net and paid the price to do so but it doesn't count. Marners little razzle dazzle 99% xGF game was inferior to how tavares / nylander played in the second half of the series but as usual he's untouchable (I mean to criticism, I'm not trading him).

The duo we keep praising needs to start playing more like our 2nd line in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
They had game 6 won and Tavares got us game 7 with his power move to the middle until it was called off. Nylander even crashed the net and paid the price to do so but it doesn't count.
Anyone who is not ignorant accepts this. Against Tampa too, not so scrub opponent. I hope they take 2LW more serious moving forward and stop giving it the second rate treatment like how they did/do to 4th line. Apparently we need to wait 2-4 years before things become addressed though

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Anyone who is not ignorant accepts this. Against Tampa too, not so scrub opponent. I hope they take 2LW more serious moving forward and stop giving it the second rate treatment like how they did/do to 4th line. Apparently we need to wait 2-4 years before things become addressed though
Tampa was running on fumes. That goal was the end of their season. The goal didn't give us the lead but I can't be convinced Tampa would end up winning that game after Tavares scored (the brief moment I didn't know it was being called off).

Who cares debating why it was called off. The importance here is that those plays come from our 2nd line when we need it and will continue to come next season when it counts.

They need to halt everything else and prioritize finishing the second line. I better not see another confirmed with link Leafs sign another guy for 4th line / marlies thread. All hail Dubas making sure 7D and injury replacement depth is strong and sturdy. Lets get serious and fill that 2LW spot.

Reactions: Hoglund4MvP

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
On those teams he wasn’t more of the same though. Back here he’d just be another soft winger.

It would be nice to have more physicality on this team... but then, there isn't much quality of that left in free agency. We haven't scored enough in round ones either... and he is someone who can contribute there. A Nylander - Tavares- Kessel line could have the potential to put up some points.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The trade I'm waiting for is Kerfoot.

Pretty much don't see a path forward otherwise.

Or Holl... if we sign Sandin at $2 mil, we can run with 20 players and be cap compliant... it's ridiculously tight to the cap though, and doesn't allow for injury call ups.

Reactions: ULF_55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad