Trades and Free Agency - 2022 Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Or Holl... if we sign Sandin at $2 mil, we can run with 20 players and be cap compliant... it's ridiculously tight to the cap though, and doesn't allow for injury call ups.
These are where the overpayments are hurting us. Love what Dubas has done in terms of roster construction, but acquiring Murray from a team who was desperate to move him at only 25% retention is a bad trade. Guy is a reclamation project. The extra ~$1.6m of a 50% retention would be extremely beneficial right now.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
These are where the overpayments are hurting us. Love what Dubas has done in terms of roster construction, but acquiring Murray from a team who was desperate to move him at only 25% retention is a bad trade. Guy is a reclamation project. The extra ~$1.6m of a 50% retention would be extremely beneficial right now.
Leafs cap hit with respects to goaltending is not at any extreme end though. Doesn't hinder us from making moves.

We can easily free up whatever cap space we need if the right move is there. Worst case scenario muzzin/holl/kerfoot will just be Bjorkstrand'd to get the cap space back quickly (hopefully, I'm just assuming Dubas has ice in his veins to do this if a move / deal comes along that helps and satisfies the majority --keyword AND incase the majority part excited anti-nylanders).

This team doesn't need blockbuster moves or drastic changes. Just needs smart tinkering for the flaws that hold us back at very important moments.

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Leafs cap hit with respects to goaltending is not at any extreme end though. Doesn't hinder us from making moves.

We can easily free up whatever cap space we need if the right move is there. Worst case scenario muzzin/holl/kerfoot will just be Bjorkstrand'd to get the cap space back quickly (hopefully, I'm just assuming Dubas has ice in his veins to do this if a move / deal comes along that helps and satisfies the majority --keyword AND incase the majority part excited anti-nylanders).

This team doesn't need blockbuster moves or drastic changes. Just needs smart tinkering for the flaws that hold us back at very important moments.
That's true, but our goaltending is below average on paper too so not being at the extreme end is not really the bar we should be setting.

It seemed as though Dubas had zeroed in on Murray early on and may have lost leverage. He is rolling the dice in this one for sure. I would have thought he would have gotten Ottawa to eat more on that one given the circumstances and the market.

If Murray does not rebound and earn his contract amount this year this will be on Dubas for sure...if he does bounce back he Dubas will look like a genius. I credit his guts on this move for sure.

Reactions: Havoc

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Apparantilely Philemon Kessel is almost writing a new deal down with some "contending canadian team"... it cannot be us no? Kessel sold the fans and us investors out with the comments and got ran out of town. But wich team is it then? Oilers or the flames no? The reports are saying a contender canadian team
Philadelphia Kessel is a national treasure.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It would be nice to have more physicality on this team... but then, there isn't much quality of that left in free agency. We haven't scored enough in round ones either... and he is someone who can contribute there. A Nylander - Tavares- Kessel line could have the potential to put up some points.
No doubt he would help the offense. I'd rather they wait to closer to the deadline to get a player that can bring both facets to the line.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No doubt he would help the offense. I'd rather they wait to closer to the deadline to get a player that can bring both facets to the line.

Hopefully Knies

That being said... Kessel can be signed for nothing but cap and roster spots... I mean, he's not my first choice target, but why spend another first on an asset, when we can get someone for free now? If it doesn't work, and we need to bring in someone, so be it.. but why not try now?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hopefully Knies

That being said... Kessel can be signed for nothing but cap and roster spots... I mean, he's not my first choice target, but why spend another first on an asset, when we can get someone for free now? If it doesn't work, and we need to bring in someone, so be it.. but why not try now?
Sure, no harm in it now.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hopefully Knies

The argument would be that the old bottom roster vets blocked kids from playing last year and would again this year.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Is there really any smoke to the Kessel rumors other than reddit speculation?

Unlikely. Shanny wanted him out. He also wants to set the record for Ironman.

We would have to gaurantee him 82 games. I would love it but probably not.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Philadelphia Kessel is a national treasure.
He a different one for surely sire. Interesting to see where we see him eating hamburgers during the season 2022-2023. A full nhl season that has so many games that won't be cancelled. Life is such a weird and fun ride, with intelligence.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I will say with kessel though, he too shows up in the playoffs. I remember he was absolutely trash against boston in the regular season and he'd get rubbed off the boards. Playoffs started and he delivered. Might not be a bad guy to bolster that top 6 and give willy some speed to play with and john some more space considering you have to respect phil's shot.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
This front office appears to have little interest in acquiring players that previous GMs obtained

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Nylander - Tavares - Kessel would certainly get a portion of the fanbase riled up 😂

Scapegoat line LOL

Unlikely. Shanny wanted him out. He also wants to set the record for Ironman.

We would have to gaurantee him 82 games. I would love it but probably not.

Kessel would 100% be a guarenteed 82 guy with the leafs. No one in our bottom six is better than him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like Kessel and think he's still a productive forward but this Leafs team has really no need for that level of player. He's strictly a RW and our RW depth is pretty damn good at this time as well. The big thing for the Leafs was to change the bottom lines to add more tenacity, among other things.

I really don't see the fit unless it's on a PTO to give competition to someone like Anderson as a depth forward, but he's too good to be a PTO level player.

This obviously changes if the Leafs make a trade or two and probably need to recoup some secondary scoring... but seems doubtful.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I will say with kessel though, he too shows up in the playoffs. I remember he was absolutely trash against boston in the regular season and he'd get rubbed off the boards. Playoffs started and he delivered. Might not be a bad guy to bolster that top 6 and give willy some speed to play with and john some more space considering you have to respect phil's shot.

Yup, Philthy is and always has been a money player.

Reactions: ER89

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The argument would be that the old bottom roster vets blocked kids from playing last year and would again this year.
I get that. I see Phil as a potential to fit with Tavares and Nylander. The only guy he's potentially blocking... would be Robertson. Should we count on Robertson being ready for the second line? I don't know that answer, maybe the people within the Leafs do though.

Bottom roster vets are a bit different. If I'm looking to make other addition right now, it's someone else who can play C, someone with utility. A Stastny, a Rodrigues.... which shouldn't block any kids either, as none are really ready to play C.

I like Kessel and think he's still a productive forward in some ways but this Leafs team has really no need for that level of player. He's strictly a RW and our RW depth is pretty damn good at this time as well. The big thing for the Leafs was to change the bottom lines to add more tenacity, among other things.

I really don't see the fit unless it's on a PTO to give competition to someone like Anderson as a depth forward, but he's too good to be a PTO level player.

This obviously changes if the Leafs make a trade or two and probably need to recoup some secondary scoring... but seems doubtful.

Nylander can play LW... Nylander - Tavares - Kessel second line.

Reactions: ER89

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I get that. I see Phil as a potential to fit with Tavares and Nylander. The only guy he's potentially blocking... would be Robertson. Should we count on Robertson being ready for the second line? I don't know that answer, maybe the people within the Leafs do though.

Bottom roster vets are a bit different. If I'm looking to make other addition right now, it's someone else who can play C, someone with utility. A Stastny, a Rodrigues.... which shouldn't block any kids either, as none are really ready to play C.

Nylander can play LW... Nylander - Tavares - Kessel second line.

He can but the preference is for him to be on the RW, seeing as he's played RW 95% of his games.

Not sure a 2nd line with Kessel really does much either.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He can but the preference is for him to be on the RW, seeing as he's played RW 95% of his games.

Indeed... as I've said above, Nylander can play LW effectively. Tavares could too really... Nylander as a C from time to time. At some point, we might want to explore Nylander as our future 2C....

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocker13

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
the more we talk about phil william and JT the more I'm liking it. Could be absolutely lethal. You can shelter that line and then go with jarkork kerf and kampf on the third to take the d zone faceoffs.

Interesting.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hagg signs with DET.

DET has some solid defensive depth on both sides now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad