Trades and Free Agency - 2022 Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
How about Kerfoot, Sandin, 1st and Abramov for JT Miller at 3.5 and Luke Schenn.... do it !
Zero interest in Miller. He'd be a one and done guy, because there's no way we could afford to keep him.

If we're moving Sandin, I'd want to do so for a ~22 year old semi-proven NHLer with upside (essentially for a young player of his calibre, but at a different position) who could help now and in future years, plus cost way less against the cap (plus not cost you additional trade pieces).

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Big fan of JT Miller even at one year if the price is right. But sounds like the Canucks are asking for the world here and or believe they're playoff contenders.

I'd say there's zero chance he re-signs there, Canucks would be better off dealing him.

Reactions: Menzinger

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Leafs got a lot of questions besides their goaltending next season

will their bottom 6 be good enough to help out in the playoffs at times?
will tavares / nylander line do better than last season?
can robertson step up?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Big fan of JT Miller even at one year if the price is right. But sounds like the Canucks are asking for the world here and or believe they're playoff contenders.

I'd say there's zero chance he re-signs there, Canucks would be better off dealing him.
I think you’re right! I don’t think he’ll resign in Vancouver

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I think you’re right! I don’t think he’ll resign in Vancouver

At this point I wouldn't either. I mean knowing I have been part of many trade talks must just turn you off about an organization

Kill the rumors or trade him. This back and forth must be taking a mental toll on him

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm really hoping Tavares/Nylander will show up this year and play above the point-per-game rate they played at last season!
Is this sarcasm? I’d hope so.

If anything, Tavares and Nylander need to tidy up their play in the d zone. They were on the ice for far too many goals against.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Zero interest in Miller. He'd be a one and done guy, because there's no way we could afford to keep him.

If we're moving Sandin, I'd want to do so for a ~22 year old semi-proven NHLer with upside (essentially for a young player of his calibre, but at a different position) who could help now and in future years, plus cost way less against the cap (plus not cost you additional trade pieces).

He’s a one and done guy, but he’s a potential 100 point winger who plays an aggressive physical game. This isn’t a depth addition.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Is this sarcasm? I’d hope so.

If anything, Tavares and Nylander need to tidy up their play in the d zone. They were on the ice for far too many goals against.
It's obviously sarcasm.

There are a lot of spoiled people around here. Sure, they need to tidy up their defensive play. Last year wasn't a good showing there but they put up points. First line points.

Tavares had his brain scrambled by Perry's knee and had a reduced off-season and still 76 points. He's mentioned how he's already started his off-season workouts and is specifically working on his foot speed. Big season coming from him.

Edit: Just adding to this but I hope the coaching staff realized Tavares and Nylander aren't a style fit. Would love to see a line built around Jarnkrok - Nylander. Put Tavares with two hard workers and send out 3 balanced lines.

Last edited:

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'm really hoping Tavares/Nylander will show up this year and play above the point-per-game rate they played at last season!
League scoring was way up so PPG doesn't really have the same value it did like 5+ years ago. For JT being mid 40s to 50th+ overall in points, points per game and points per 60 just isn't close to good enough for a 5th highest cap hit in the league. Kerfoot had more even strength points per 60 than JT while receiving significantly more defensive zone usage.

JT's contract is an anchor, no doubt about it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wonder what type of contracts ZAR and Motte are looking at, at this point.

A fourth line with those two and Steeves or Malgin as the Center would be quite good.

(I have Aube-Kubel with Engvall/Kampf, Jarnkrok with Tavares/Nylander)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
League scoring was way up so PPG doesn't really have the same value it did like 5+ years ago. For JT being mid 40s to 50th+ overall in points, points per game and points per 60 just isn't close to good enough for a 5th highest cap hit in the league. Kerfoot had more even strength points per 60 than JT while receiving significantly more defensive zone usage.

JT's contract is an anchor, no doubt about it.

First half, both Tavares and Nylander played extremely well. Easily worth their contracts. After the Covid break, both totally fell off. They did regain their form near the end of the year and were able to finish off the Tampa series well, but that middle portion of the year was not great.

The dynamic works great when Nylander and Tavares are both playing well. Nylander does well with the puck on his stick and thrives in space. Tavares does well with the puck off of his stick, thrives in tight, and creates a lot of space for Nylander. The problem is that Nylander can go for long stretches of inconsistency which limits what Tavares can do for him (doesn't really happen the other way around very often), and then Kerfoot is not really a perfect fit for helping either Nylander or Tavares with what they do.

I think three things need to happen, and two of them are ones I think the Leafs can solve fairly easily because they are somewhat interconnected.

i) Get Tavares away from going to the front of the net all of the time like he is a glorified grinder. He has too much skill for that. While he should look for garbage goals, he was getting far less goals than he normally does because he was constantly in a spot where the only way he could score would either be tips or rebounds (and we were not choosing to use tips nearly as often as we should have).

ii) Get a 3rd guy who can properly compliment both Nylander and Tavares. That is why I suggest Anderson, because he has a shot and enough skating ability to play off of the rush with Nylander, but he is also someone who can easily play off of Tavares on the cycle and let Tavares step away from the net sometimes.

iii) Find a way to make Nylander more consistent. Maybe solving the first two will help with this, but Nylander, as a core player, can't disappear as often as he does. Matthews, Marner, and Tavares rarely have days off or poor games where they do not positive impact the game in some way. Nylander does.

Last edited:
Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

A fourth line with those two and Steeves or Malgin as the Center would be quite good.

Steeves and Malgin are wingers in the NHL.

I also do not think the Leafs need two bottom 6 shutdown lines who can't really be trusted to put up much offense. I think it makes more sense to have Jarnkrok down there at center with Engvall and Malgin since that can be a strong two-way line that can still be trusted to score goals, and then you have a shutdown line with Kampf, NAK, and one of Motte or ZAR. Let Steeves and Anderson fight it out for the spot beside Tavares and Nylander.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

One of those two would be great.

I do wonder what the hold up is ... things have come to a crawl, asides from Saturday.

GIVE ME SOME DAMN NEWS

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
First half, both Tavares and Nylander played extremely well. Easily worth their contracts. After the Covid break, both totally fell off. They did regain their form near the end of the year and were able to finish off the Tampa series well, but that middle portion of the year was not great.

The dynamic works great when Nylander and Tavares are both playing well. Nylander does well with the puck on his stick and thrives in space. Tavares does well with the puck off of his stick, thrives in tight, and creates a lot of space for Nylander. The problem is that Nylander can go for long stretches of inconsistency which limits what Tavares can do for him (doesn't really happen the other way around very often), and then Kerfoot is not really a perfect fit for helping either Nylander or Tavares with what they do.

I think three things need to happen, and two of them are ones I think the Leafs can solve fairly easily because they are somewhat interconnected.

i) Get Tavares away from going to the front of the net all of the time like he is a glorified grinder. He has too much skill for that. While he should look for garbage goals, he was getting far less goals than he normally does because he was constantly in a spot where the only way he could score would either be tips or rebounds (and we were not choosing to use tips nearly as often as we should have).

ii) Get a 3rd guy who can properly compliment both Nylander and Tavares. That is why I suggest Anderson, because he has a shot and enough skating ability to play off of the rush with Nylander, but he is also someone who can easily play off of Tavares on the cycle and let Tavares step away from the net sometimes.

iii) Find a way to make Nylander more consistent. Maybe solving the first two will help with this, but Nylander, as a core player, can't disappear as often as he does. Matthews, Marner, and Tavares rarely have days off or poor games where they do not positive impact the game in some way. Nylander does.
Not sure if JT was close to a top 5 player at any point last year to be honest. All the others players on that list had to deal with the same covid related things but I agree that I'm not a fan of Nylander with JT. I think Nylander creates way too much off the rush to play with JT who creates more down low in a cycle style where he can loose his marker and get to a shooting position

The issue is if JT requires Nylander being consistent to be an effective player that is a huge issue. 11 million dollar players should drive their line and improve their wingers not be dependent on them.

I agree with number 1 but not number 2. The entire idea of needing to get the right winger to fit with JT/Nylander is kind of a joke to me. They already gets relatively easy QoC, tons of offensive zone time and more cap than most teams have tied up on their 1st lines yet the reason they aren't performing well sometimes is because a lack of the other winger being a good fit. Personally I don't think they should be on the same line but I don't think see the leafs running a more even top 9 ice time wise which is the only way you can split Willy and JT up. Ideally I think you grab a winger than compliments purely JT and then move Nylander into the Kessel role on the penguins where he can tear up others teams bottom 6s.

Regarding number 3 I think that's just who Willy is. If he was consistent all the time he would probably be a 10 million dollar player. Luckily he does seem to turn it up in the playoffs so thats not half bad.

Edit: i do think Anderson is an interesting target though

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Just adding to this but I hope the coaching staff realized Tavares and Nylander aren't a style fit. Would love to see a line built around Jarnkrok - Nylander. Put Tavares with two hard workers and send out 3 balanced lines.
I think this is the year to go for more balance on the offensive lines. We need more than one line going in the playoffs, so why not develop that through the regular season?

I still think moving Kerfoot and signing Rodrigues at a fraction of the cost and freeing up cap and line-up space is the way to go. Allows us to add ZAR. Gives us a line up with a 1a and 1b and a 3a and 3b:

Bunting / Matthews / Nylander
Robertson / Tavares / Marner
Engvall / Kampf / Jarnkrok
ZAR / Rodrigues/ NAK

Anderson / Gaudette / Malgin
Clifford / Douglass / Simmonds

I think this makes too much sense. Matthews and Marner can each carry a line and reunite on the PP and at crunch times in the game. Marner is a playmaker with JT and Robertson and a strong defensive player on that line. AM34 already has chemistry with Bunting...Nylander has to be able to make it work with that line...if not, time to move on from Willy perhaps.

Our third line is a strong checking line with some ability to chip in some goals and we actually have a fourth line with purpose and we have Marlie depth too.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think this is the year to go for more balance on the offensive lines. We need more than one line going in the playoffs, so why not develop that through the regular season?

I still think moving Kerfoot and signing Rodrigues at a fraction of the cost and freeing up cap and line-up space is the way to go. Allows us to add ZAR. Gives us a line up with a 1a and 1b and a 3a and 3b:

Bunting / Matthews / Nylander
Robertson / Tavares / Marner
Engvall / Kampf / Jarnkrok
ZAR / Rodrigues/ NAK

Anderson / Gaudette / Malgin
Clifford / Douglass / Simmonds

I think this makes too much sense. Matthews and Marner can each carry a line and reunite on the PP and at crunch times in the game. Marner is a playmaker with JT and Robertson and a strong defensive player on that line. AM34 already has chemistry with Bunting...Nylander has to be able to make it work with that line...if not, time to move on from Willy perhaps.

Our third line is a strong checking line with some ability to chip in some goals and we actually have a fourth line with purpose and we have Marlie depth too.
I don't hate those lines if the cap works.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Not sure if JT was close to a top 5 player at any point last year to be honest. All the others players on that list had to deal with the same covid related things but I agree that I'm not a fan of Nylander with JT. I think Nylander creates way too much off the rush to play with JT who creates more down low in a cycle style where he can loose his marker and get to a shooting position

By the end of December, he had one less point in two more games than Matthews... But given the difference in ice time, Matthews had actually played more minutes than JT at the time (as was the case with the vast majority of players ahead of and around Tavares on that scoring list). Of course Matthews had 20 goals whereas JT "only" had 13. In general, Tavares was 16th in the league in points at that time simply by getting what he earned from expectation and maintaining his career average shooting percentage of 13%.

Marner, who had a bad start to the year, had 10 fewer points than JT and 9 fewer than Nylander.

Sure, there were some younger stars who were still on their ELC's or post-ELC's who had done better than JT. Those guys will be making more than JT when their contracts are up.

In the second half, Tavares' assist totals were still pretty good but he was getting crapped on with his goals. He was still generating but not scoring, and that is why I hope we make those adjustments on his line.

I don't hate those lines if the cap works.

I think Rodrigues will either take a better opportunity to showcase himself for a retirement deal next year or he will get more money than we can afford to pay him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's obviously sarcasm.

There are a lot of spoiled people around here. Sure, they need to tidy up their defensive play. Last year wasn't a good showing there but they put up points. First line points.

Tavares had his brain scrambled by Perry's knee and had a reduced off-season and still 76 points. He's mentioned how he's already started his off-season workouts and is specifically working on his foot speed. Big season coming from him.

Edit: Just adding to this but I hope the coaching staff realized Tavares and Nylander aren't a style fit. Would love to see a line built around Jarnkrok - Nylander. Put Tavares with two hard workers and send out 3 balanced lines.

This year Dubas and Keefe have to fill the hole on the 2nd. line.
How would the 1st. line have looked without a solution on left wing?
A great signing that filled Hyman's role and fit like a glove, although in first 9 games marner had 3 points when Matthews was sideline for the first 3 games and took time to get going. Need the same attention to the 2nd. line this year.

? - Tavares - Nylander

? = trade, prospect, existing player

I am curious as to how they become compliant after signing Sandin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad