Trades and Free Agency - 2022 Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
But it isnt worth it.. removing dowling and ferland they are 81.75 i think.. with one extra i think

So waive poolman and dickinson for 2.25.. still not enough room. Plus paying dickpool 2.75 million to play on the farm and kerfoots 750k.. is 3.5 million in dead cap spent (plus the 2.25 they save on the cap but is money owed)

They end up paying 3.5 million for kerfoot essentially on nhl ice plau giving up picks which is simply what i was referring to

I dont see it

1664830701402.png

Why would they need to waive Poolman? Sure they could waive and bury Dickinson (they may do that anyways), and it would be even better if someone claimed him since he is negative value, but if they sent down Hoglander and Burroughs, they are cap compliant.

If they can move one of Dickinson or Pearson, they have enough cap space for their extras, they can play a few more of their prospects, and they can afford Kerfoot who would be a strong upgrade to their lineup (at least over Pearson and Dickinson). Saves them a fair bit of real money and helps them compete for the playoffs, which they may seriously be able to do with that lineup.

EDIT: They will also have a few guys hitting LTIR to start the season beyond Ferland, so they could even afford to wait a bit on trading Pearson or Dickinson if they wanted to. Boeser is out for a few weeks. Mikheyev is week-to-week. Dowling and Dermott have serious injuries. Also is another strong justification to adding Kerfoot, since he can mitigate some of those issues right now.

Last edited:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
View attachment 590530

Why would they need to waive Poolman? Sure they could waive and bury Dickinson (they may do that anyways), and it would be even better if someone claimed him since he is negative value, but if they sent down Hoglander and Burroughs, they are cap compliant.

If they can move one of Dickinson or Pearson, they have enough cap space for their extras, they can play a few more of their prospects, and they can afford Kerfoot who would be a strong upgrade to their lineup (at least over Pearson and Dickinson). Saves them a fair bit of real money and helps them compete for the playoffs, which they may seriously be able to do with that lineup.

EDIT: They will also have a few guys hitting LTIR to start the season beyond Ferland, so they could even afford to wait a bit on trading Pearson or Dickinson if they wanted to. Boeser is out for a few weeks. Mikheyev is week-to-week. Dowling and Dermott have serious injuries. Also is another strong justification to adding Kerfoot, since he can mitigate some of those issues right now.
doesn't really make sense - hoglander is playing himself onto the team, but even he goes down Dakota Joshua is another likely player up. their need to improve is on the bottom of that graphic, not the top. a winger is not worth it to them - miller/pettersson/horvat down the middle.

also - they need to potentially keep room for bonuses, or atleast the potential flexibility where if they can, keep them in this year. 2 million going into next year really hurts depending on hoglander and kuzmenko's year, their new deals, if dermott sticks and what they do with horvat.

kerfoot in my opinion is an afterthought player to vancouver - they are at the point where they need an impact player on the backend first, only thing that makes sense going into the weeds like this would be worth it for

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Schenn would help bring to our team what we lost in Lyubushkin, not to mention we also gain 2.2 million in cap space and a 2nd Round Pick, for a player who anyone and everyone in here has been trying to move. If there's one thing we've noticed is Kerfoot doesn't bring anything to the team that we couldn't replace internally for a far lesser cap hit.

Schenn is a physical bottom pair type, he isn't going to play enough to make any type of difference especially considering we have 7 better defenseman than him already, when they are all fit

Kerfoot is good for 40-50 points and isn't on our first PP unit, that's valuable and I honestly couldn't care less what most of the people on here want to do

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Canucks? Chych is on Coyotes
Sorry that was difficult to understand.

That was a nope to trading for Chychrun.

Then the forum merged two posts, where we were talking about a Canucks trade. It should have been obvious that it was a Canucks trade sentence, as it had two Canucks players mentioned in it, and no mention of Coyotes players.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah I think Holl seems like the guy to peddle off for cap relief. I like him but something has to give. I just hope it can be for a decent draft pick. Maybe the Leafs can attach him with someone like say Anderson to a team that could use some depth.

I think the Wild would be pretty interested.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah I think Holl seems like the guy to peddle off for cap relief. I like him but something has to give. I just hope it can be for a decent draft pick. Maybe the Leafs can attach him with someone like say Anderson to a team that could use some depth.

I think the Wild would be pretty interested.

We are not exactly flush with defensemen right now and Holl is a good one.

We are going to be trusting either unproven or inferior options regardless of who we trade, but we have more good forward prospects than spots right now. Defense, not so much.

It is easier for the Leafs to live without Kerfoot than without Holl right now, but it depends on who gets more in a trade.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Mete has looked serviceable which is more than I tought he'd be when we signed him. i was impressed with his positioning on more than a few plays where he used positioning to beat a few larger players off of the puck.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We are not exactly flush with defensemen right now and Holl is a good one.

We are going to be trusting either unproven or inferior options regardless of who we trade, but we have more good forward prospects than spots right now. Defense, not so much.

It is easier for the Leafs to live without Kerfoot than without Holl right now, but it depends on who gets more in a trade.

Kerfoots slated to be the 2nd line center with Tavares out. Pretty clear his role as a swiss army knife will be far superior to Holls role.

Both are good players in their own right. But I think Holls is easier to replace. He's expected to start in the pressbox with everyone healthy. Not sure the Leafs have many players that can take over what Kerfoot brings to the table consistently or with experience, whereas you can probably throw Mete or Kral or Benn or whatever and get similar pressbox/6th D results.

Leafs just can't afford a 2M spare part.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

crowsnestmcgee

Oct 20, 2021
Sorry that was difficult to understand.

That was a nope to trading for Chychrun.

Then the forum merged two posts, where we were talking about a Canucks trade. It should have been obvious that it was a Canucks trade sentence, as it had two Canucks players mentioned in it, and no mention of Coyotes players.
Chych is a great player with low cap hit. We should try to make it work

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Chych is a great player with low cap hit. We should try to make it work

We don't really need any more LHD, and the cost for him is too much. It's the shiny brand name attractive that so many people have... we need a big name, we need a big name....

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
We don't really need any more LHD, and the cost for him is too much. It's the shiny brand name attractive that so many people have... we need a big name, we need a big name....
I really don't get the attraction of paying huge assets for an injury prone LD who would be 3rd on the Leafs depth chart fighting for that with Giordano.

He's all hype. No substance.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I really don't get the attraction of paying huge assets for an injury prone LD who would be 3rd on the Leafs depth chart fighting for that with Giordano.

He's all hype. No substance.

I think there is a "chance" that he turns into a very good D man, on a better team. He can play the right side, and might make an impressive partner for Mo... But there is a risk that he is simply the top dog on a bad team, and ends up being much less than that on a lesser team. To me, the asking price is too high, particularly with the injury history.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Kerfoot won me back over for now. Holl and Engvall shouldn't be taking up 4 mil of cap but that's just me. We can get an actual player that can help the core in the playoffs with that money.

When you contrast Kerfoot with the group of guys competing for depth spots, you see why his cap hit is 3 mil compared to dumpster diving depth players. So I will forever be irritated seeing 4 mil tied up in those 2 when we can have a Kerfoot or higher quality depth guy instead. I simply no longer care what Engvall does in the regular season. I've seen enough of him when teams bring playoff intensity. People call Nylander soft yet he knows how to counter physical teams with ease as shown in the Habs series (all they did was hit and hit and wait for us to make mistakes and Nylander wasn't phased at all). Engvall is what you want to cite if you need to show what soft looks like in the playoffs to the point it's a disgrace to keep him in the lineup year after year of first round losses. Not only keeping him for another try, they gave the man a raise :laugh:.

If we trade Kerfoot because they find him replaceable due to having cheaper guys like Engvall and below, just throw it in as more evidence as them having no idea what to do outside of the only thing I share in common with them, which is the obvious move of keeping and signing your best players and cup winning quality core.

Anyway, just a long rant to not trade Kerfoot and proposing 2 other guys who should go before he does. (Also, you don't need to go the 4 mil quality depth guy if you're scared of missing and ending up with a cap dump, but it doesn't change that kerfoot should stay over those 2)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Kerfoot won me back over for now. Holl and Engvall shouldn't be taking up 4 mil of cap but that's just me. We can get an actual player that can help the core in the playoffs with that money.

When you contrast Kerfoot with the group of guys competing for depth spots, you see why his cap hit is 3 mil compared to dumpster diving depth players. So I will forever be irritated seeing 4 mil tied up in those 2 when we can have a Kerfoot or higher quality depth guy instead. I simply no longer care what Engvall does in the regular season. I've seen enough of him when teams bring playoff intensity. People call Nylander soft yet he knows how to counter physical teams with ease as shown in the Habs series (all they did was hit and hit and wait for us to make mistakes and Nylander wasn't phased at all). Engvall is what you want to cite if you need to show what soft looks like in the playoffs to the point it's a disgrace to keep him in the lineup year after year of first round losses. Not only keeping him for another try, they gave the man a raise :laugh:.

If we trade Kerfoot because they find him replaceable due to having cheaper guys like Engvall and below, just throw it in as more evidence as them having no idea what to do outside of the only thing I share in common with them, which is the obvious move of keeping and signing your best players and cup winning quality core.

Anyway, just a long rant to not trade Kerfoot and proposing 2 other guys who should go before he does. (Also, you don't need to go the 4 mil quality depth guy if you're scared of missing and ending up with a cap dump, but it doesn't change that kerfoot should stay over those 2)
I'm in that group as well.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Canucks need a Holl much more than a Kerf.

Isn't their RD Myers, Schenn, Poolman?

Holl likely an upgrade over Poolman but that would be 2.5M sitting in the press box.

Kerfoot may fit with Minnesota, they're looking for a forward apparently.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Isn't their RD Myers, Schenn, Poolman?

Holl likely an upgrade over Poolman but that would be 2.5M sitting in the press box.

Kerfoot may fit with Minnesota, they're looking for a forward apparently.
Holl's an upgrade over all 3 of them.

Reactions: kb and TMLAM34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad