Trades and Free Agency - 2022 Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Alex Nylander put up 42 points in 67 AHL games last year. He’s 24. This isn’t a case of a project player who might make it, he’s just not very good. He’s a decent second line AHL player though. I suppose if the Marlies has too many C’s and needed a RW, Alex for SDA makes sense.

Reactions: geo25 and Joel Ward

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
In terms of contracts, fortunately it's usually relatively easy to throw in an underperforming elc or two in a deal to balance out the contracts. And the Leafs like every organization have a half dozen contracts such contracts.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
In terms of contracts, fortunately it's usually relatively easy to throw in an underperforming elc or two in a deal to balance out the contracts. And the Leafs like every organization have a half dozen contracts such contracts.
The one thing that hurts the contract depth situation is having 4-5 players loaned out overseas. That reduces their contract spots without having them around.

I could see the Leafs trading Anderson if he isn't claimed on waivers. Maybe not right away, but at some point during the season. I can also see the Leafs making a trade to dump some salary if everyone is healthy, at which point will open up a spot or two.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not sure it makes much sense to splurge assets on another LHD anyway. Like I said last week if Sandin was being overly difficult, I think there might have been something there but now, nah.

Stay patient, evaluate how the year goes and see where the big hole is if there is any.

Yeah the fit doesn't make a lot of sense. He'll cost a bunch and isn't a clear upgrade at the moment.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

Juolevi, former #5 OA pick... on waivers. I wonder if anyone will give him a shot. (Obviously not us)

Thomas Hickey, a former #4 OA pick, was released from his PTO today as well. I don't think we need anyone further in the Marlies, but with the injury to Dahlstrom, it's a thought. A veteran presence...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The Edmonton Oilers and the Toronto Maple Leafs have been mentioned recently as teams that may be interested in Jakob Chychrun, and I think those are conversations that maybe happened a long time ago, and certainly not anything recent. I don’t get the sense that the Oilers or the Leafs have their radar sights set on adding someone like Jakob Chychrun.

Also of note, and I posted it elsewhere...

“It’s not exactly one that’s eating up cap space, but when you consider the ramifications that come with having your team operate in LTIR, the Vancouver Canucks have in recent days and weeks been attempting to move the contract of Micheal Ferland. Now, he’s in the final year of his deal, we know that he’s not coming back to play, his cap hit is $3.5 million, and his real cash owed to him this season is $2.75 million, so they’ve been in touch with some other teams that either have had injuries in training camp up to this point, or are already operating in LTIR and might be able to use a little bit of a boost.

The thing with Ferland’s contract though that I think has gotten in the way of some of this is that because Ferland is out with injury, it’s not insured, so whoever’s picking up that deal would be paying the full $2.75 million in real cash. The Canucks are obviously trying to get rid of it because they don’t want to pay that and they don’t want to operate in LTIR, so they’re probably going to have to pay a little bit to move it, but we’ll see how that unfolds.

I don't know if we can take advantage of this at all.. but it's out there.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
""

Juolevi, former #5 OA pick... on waivers. I wonder if anyone will give him a shot. (Obviously not us)

Thomas Hickey, a former #4 OA pick, was released from his PTO today as well. I don't think we need anyone further in the Marlies, but with the injury to Dahlstrom, it's a thought. A veteran presence...

Hickey likely won't take an AHL contract at this point in his career. He has had major injuries and he has made his money. He either retires or maybe goes to Europe if he gets a good enough offer.

Harpur could make sense if he is released from his PTO with Columbus, or there are a whole bunch of guys on PTO's with AHL teams that could fill in as a veteran depth guy for the Marlies. Of course, we could just sign Larsen and bump everyone up a spot too... Although the Growlers could have already used Larsen with or without Dahlstrom's injury so there is room for more than just him.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

The Edmonton Oilers and the Toronto Maple Leafs have been mentioned recently as teams that may be interested in Jakob Chychrun, and I think those are conversations that maybe happened a long time ago, and certainly not anything recent. I don’t get the sense that the Oilers or the Leafs have their radar sights set on adding someone like Jakob Chychrun.

Also of note, and I posted it elsewhere...

“It’s not exactly one that’s eating up cap space, but when you consider the ramifications that come with having your team operate in LTIR, the Vancouver Canucks have in recent days and weeks been attempting to move the contract of Micheal Ferland. Now, he’s in the final year of his deal, we know that he’s not coming back to play, his cap hit is $3.5 million, and his real cash owed to him this season is $2.75 million, so they’ve been in touch with some other teams that either have had injuries in training camp up to this point, or are already operating in LTIR and might be able to use a little bit of a boost.

The thing with Ferland’s contract though that I think has gotten in the way of some of this is that because Ferland is out with injury, it’s not insured, so whoever’s picking up that deal would be paying the full $2.75 million in real cash. The Canucks are obviously trying to get rid of it because they don’t want to pay that and they don’t want to operate in LTIR, so they’re probably going to have to pay a little bit to move it, but we’ll see how that unfolds.

I don't know if we can take advantage of this at all.. but it's out there.

Doesn't really make sense unless we already planned on running LTIR all year anyways or we don't care about cap accrual at the TDL (which we may very well not TBH).

Kerfoot + Gogolev + another contract for Ferland + a pair of higher picks would not be a bad option if we can't find the right deal for Kerfoot elsewhere and we still need to move cap. Kerfoot is from VAN so I doubt he rejects a trade there. Cap hits are the same, VAN gets a very useful player, and they save a bunch of money. We open up some contract spots to sign ZAR and find some kind of defenseman in UFA or on waivers.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Doesn't really make sense unless we already planned on running LTIR all year anyways or we don't care about cap accrual at the TDL (which we may very well not TBH).

Kerfoot + Gogolev + another contract for Ferland + a pair of higher picks would not be a bad option if we can't find the right deal for Kerfoot elsewhere and we still need to move cap. Kerfoot is from VAN so I doubt he rejects a trade there. Cap hits are the same, VAN gets a very useful player, and they save a bunch of money. We open up some contract spots to sign ZAR and find some kind of defenseman in UFA or on waivers.
They would need to waive both poolman and dickinson to come close to even start discussing adding kerfoot at 3.5

Sending picks with ferland arent worth saving 25% of dead cap they would in this scenario

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
Michael Ferland (LTIR)
Luke Schenn
2nd Round Pick

To Vancouver-
Alex Kerfoot

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Why?

We have plenty of defenseman already and don't need another #6D and Kerfoot is useful

I wouldn't trade him for that meh
Schenn would help bring to our team what we lost in Lyubushkin, not to mention we also gain 2.2 million in cap space and a 2nd Round Pick, for a player who anyone and everyone in here has been trying to move. If there's one thing we've noticed is Kerfoot doesn't bring anything to the team that we couldn't replace internally for a far lesser cap hit.

Reactions: geo25

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
They would need to waive both poolman and dickinson to come close to even start discussing adding kerfoot at 3.5

Sending picks with ferland arent worth saving 25% of dead cap they would in this scenario

Not they would not. They are 2.75 mill over in cap space with a bunch of extras even when accounting for Ferland's cap hit in full. They can technically make it work if they don't have any extras. Obviously they may not want to do that, but it is possible.

They already have had Pearson and Dickinson on the trade block for much of the offseason, and we may see one or even both get moved at some point as well.

Why?

We have plenty of defenseman already and don't need another #6D and Kerfoot is useful

I wouldn't trade him for that meh

We could actually use another defenseman.

That being said, Vancouver needs Schenn more than we do, and we don't have the contract spots to do that trade unless we don't want ZAR so we'd need to toss at least one other contract in there.

VAN has a bunch of cap dumping to do, and that excludes dumping a Ferland contract that most teams will never touch with a ten-foot pole.

Reactions: stickty111

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Not they would not. They are 2.75 mill over in cap space with a bunch of extras even when accounting for Ferland's cap hit in full. They can technically make it work if they don't have any extras. Obviously they may not want to do that, but it is possible.

They already have had Pearson and Dickinson on the trade block for much of the offseason, and we may see one or even both get moved at some point as well.

We could actually use another defenseman.

That being said, Vancouver needs Schenn more than we do, and we don't have the contract spots to do that trade unless we don't want ZAR so we'd need to toss at least one other contract in there.

VAN has a bunch of cap dumping to do, and that excludes dumping a Ferland contract that most teams will never touch with a ten-foot pole.
But it isnt worth it.. removing dowling and ferland they are 81.75 i think.. with one extra i think

So waive poolman and dickinson for 2.25.. still not enough room. Plus paying dickpool 2.75 million to play on the farm and kerfoots 750k.. is 3.5 million in dead cap spent (plus the 2.25 they save on the cap but is money owed)

They end up paying 3.5 million for kerfoot essentially on nhl ice plau giving up picks which is simply what i was referring to

I dont see it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad