Trades and Free Agency - 2022 Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It seems potentially destructive to move a sure thing so a non sure thing to play and then fall back on, well we can just go back out and get anogher sure thing later.

Seems premature
Maybe but thats what camp is for. Competing for a spot. Imagine saying to a player look you played yourself on the team, but we will let you go because you aren't a sure thing. That can affect the players morale

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I'm not as impressed by Holmberg as others are. He seems to be a basic player with modest skills and average hockey sense. Engvall is more talented and a smarter player. But he does look more like a 4th liner body than some other candidates.

Anderson is playing his way off a position he probably held by default. I don't even think he's a waiver wire loss as Anderson was supposed to develop into a smart role player type. He isn't that player. He makes obvious positional errors and generates little offense.

Robertson may not be entirely comfortable as an NHL 4th liner but he might learn a lot about other parts of the game in that role and maybe that's worth it for Robertson's development into a rounded NHL player not only a sniper. Perhaps a full 2022-23 season in the team's bottom 6 with promotions in the lineup when injuries strike in the top 6 then a full top 6 role after the team loses players in the summer of 2023?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Broadly speaking I think there's an argument to be made that the Leafs could be better offensively from the back end. Probably why they are interested in experimenting with RHD Mitch Marner in some facilitating, maybe positionless overload play. Colorado's offense was really supercharged with guys like Toews, Girard, Byram chipping in beyond Makar, for example.

Again, not sure if Chychrun is that guy. He does have an excellent point shot which the Leafs have been missing for a long time, but agree with you what is the acquisition cost?

The Avs are hard to match for sure but generally speaking the Leafs D gets especially hurt offensively by the extreme lack of PP time the Leafs get, especially compared to a team like COL who gets such a crazy amount of pp time every year.

Non-PP Scoring Paces last 2yrs:

Screenshot_20221002_131825.jpg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Avs are hard to match for sure but generally speaking the Leafs D gets especially hurt offensively by the extreme lack of PP time the Leafs get, especially compared to a team like COL who gets such a crazy amount of pp time every year.

Non-PP Scoring Paces last 2yrs:

View attachment 590268

Might be a bit of a chicken or the egg thing too. The Leafs definitely get fewer PP minutes, and the 1st unit only has Rielly on it. Maybe if we had a classic point shot you might see that RHD PP turn into a second trigger man a la John Carlson. Again, Chychrun would only partially fill that role as a LHD and not sure if he's the right acquisition.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Among a large group of players placed on NHL waivers today: Malcolm Subban (BUF), William Lagesson (CAR), Oscar Dansk (CGY), Greg McKegg (EDM), Dillon Heatherington (OTT), Drake Caggiula (PIT), Alex Nylander (PIT), Dustin Tokarski (PIT), Kole Lind (SEA), Zach Fucale (WSH).

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Really liked the energy level Anderson brought in his few games last season. Was expecting to see that this preseason but it's just not there. Unless he steps it up, I can't see him in the plans at all this season.

What McMann has done is what I was hoping to see out of Anderson. Maybe McMann could be a call up at some point.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Very unlikely considering were at 49/50 contracts.

I remember the good ol' days when Sabres fans were certain they had the better Nylander. Life comes at you fast.

A trade here and a trade there brings the number down to manageable.

I’m all for it and have been for a while. He’s spent his whole career in chili markets and shitty situations - Buffalol, Chicago after the fun, a depth option in Pittsburgh?

He’s Willy’s brother and he’s bigger but not quite as skilled but not too far off.

He probably sucks but maybe he doesn’t, place him on the Marlies and let him earn it. He fails and what does it cost, Joey Anderson or Jordie Benn? Please.

Last edited:

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Really liked the energy level Anderson brought in his few games last season. Was expecting to see that this preseason but it's just not there. Unless he steps it up, I can't see him in the plans at all this season.

What McMann has done is what I was hoping to see out of Anderson. Maybe McMann could be a call up at some point.
feels like he might not have been what we expected of him and might be flipped. I want him to work out but eh

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Shall we try uniting the Nylanders?

im surprised kegger was cut...I thought he'd be a lock in the roster spot since oilers love our players.

The only player I was able to watch intently and live was Fucale and he had some great skills during his time in Halifax...I don't know much about him now tbh.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
A trade here and a trade there brings the number down to manageable.

I’m all for it and have been for a while. He’s spent his whole career in chili markets and shitty situations - Buffalol, Chicago after the fun, a depth option in Pittsburgh?

He’s Willy’s brother and he’s bigger but not quite as skilled but not too far off.

He probably sucks but maybe he doesn’t, place him on the Marlies and let him earn it. He fails and what does it cost, Joey Anderson or Jordie Benn? Please.
If the Leafs claim him or trade for him, they have to keep in on the roster or waive him. He appears to be nothing more than a AAAA player at best. Last season Anderson scored 26 in 56 AHL games, while Nylander scored 14G in 44 games. Feels more like nostalgia.....

Benn is a Dman who hasn't been to the minors in a decade, so not sure the equivalency there. Benn wouldn't be a roadblock

Last edited:

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I'll be honest, I'm not sure how that works in it's entirety. It's very possible.
I’m not entirely sure either. Also some Jr. aged signed guys in Europe may qualify as well. But someone much more educated on the cap would have to clarify

Minten doesn't even have a contract, and the 49 doesn't include slide contracts.
Thanks. Other than Minten who I guess isn’t signed I can’t think of any others in camp who would have qualified

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Maybe but thats what camp is for. Competing for a spot. Imagine saying to a player look you played yourself on the team, but we will let you go because you aren't a sure thing. That can affect the players morale
I guess it could.. i mean 1 to 2 spots several candidates and salary cap.. is what it is

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I’m not entirely sure either. Also some Jr. aged signed guys in Europe may qualify as well. But someone much more educated on the cap would have to clarify

Thanks. Other than Minten who I guess isn’t signed I can’t think of any others in camp who would have qualified

Voit and Kressler are the only 2 that don't count towards the 50. But the Leafs are still at 49 without those 2. The players loaned overseas unfortunately count.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Voit and Kressler are the only 2 that don't count towards the 50. But the Leafs are still at 49 without those 2. The players loaned overseas unfortunately count.

Basically, the only players that don't count are the signed players sent back to the CHL.
I thought players signed and playing overseas slide as long as they are still Jr. aged.
Sandin and Lilgegren had their contracts slide even when they were in the AHL for as long as they would have been eligible to play in the OHL

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I thought players signed and playing overseas slide as long as they are still Jr. aged.
Sandin and Lilgegren had their contracts slide even when they were in the AHL for as long as they would have been eligible to play in the OHL
True, but none of the ELC's overseas are jr aged anymore.

Reactions: LeafChief
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad