Trades and Free Agency - 2022-23 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yzerman's ilk. I agree that Yzerman did a good job with Tampa Bay (although his successor pushed the team over the top and won cups).

Yzerman has placed 8.25 million in AAV that he signed on waivers THIS season between two players. Those players are both currently in the AHL leaving 6 million in dead cap on their cap sheet

He also signed Andrew Copp to a 5x5.6 contract. Copp is currently putting up the same numbers as Jarnkrok.

Yzerman (like any other GM) has made good moves and bad moves. I'm not sure his name should be thrown around like he's some untouchable God that turns water into wine.
Also that Chiarot contract is terrible and worse than anything Dubas has ever done. The best thing about him is probably his reputation, but the results definitely aren't there. He's been in Detroit since 2019 and they still aren't close to competing for the playoffs, even after him going wild in free agency. Tampa also didn't win anything until he left. I'm sure he's a smart guy, but I don't see any reason to fear trading with him. He's had some pretty big whiffs at evaluating players, and his team isn't in a very strong position now or going forward

Reactions: stickty111 and kb

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Yzerman's ilk. I agree that Yzerman did a good job with Tampa Bay (although his successor pushed the team over the top and won cups).

Yzerman has placed 8.25 million in AAV that he signed on waivers THIS season between two players. Those players are both currently in the AHL leaving 6 million in dead cap on their cap sheet

He also signed Andrew Copp to a 5x5.6 contract. Copp is currently putting up the same numbers as Jarnkrok.

Yzerman (like any other GM) has made good moves and bad moves. I'm not sure his name should be thrown around like he's some untouchable God that turns water into wine.
I think the biggest thing Yzerman did was convince Stamkos, then Hedman, to take 8.5M and 7.9M respectively.

The Cernak and Sergachev trades were masterclasses but setting up the cap structure he did is what allowed them to keep together the team they had.

I’ve been largely unimpressed with what he’s done in Detroit outside of his drafting.

Reactions: Menzinger

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Is providing sources really not allowed here? I feel like it would help, as the majority of posts here just seem like someone trusted random Twitter users or made it up.
I don’t know if it’s allowed or not. That’s why I didn’t attach the link. To me, it doesn’t seem like a reputable source and that’s why I doubt it’s true.

I guess we’ll see for sure tomorrow night. The Yotes play the Wild at 9pm and if Chychrun is dressed, then we have our answer.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Rielly-Brodie
Chych-Lilly
Gio-Holl

Is a much better playoff defense than what we’re currently slated to roll out. I think it would also help Liljegren improve.

If you talking about an offensive end, yes from a defensive perspective and being harder to play against... no

So leafs will pay big price for an offensive dman to still use rielly in shutdown pair and use him where hes at the worst unstead to trade for a great complement from.what rielly bring

Chychrun is a pretty bad fit for leafs need...

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
If you talking about an offensive end, yes from a defensive perspective and being harder to play against... no

So leafs will pay big price for an offensive dman to still use rielly in shutdown pair and use him where hes at the worst unstead to trade for a great complement from.what rielly bring

Chychrun is a pretty bad fit for leafs need...
Well, I wouldn’t say he’s a bad fit for the Leafs. I see him as more of an all around defensemen and at 24 years old, he’s only going to get better. The only worry I have about him, is his ability to stay healthy.

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Not really believing these rumors until something more reputable comes out. Waiting game I guess

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think the biggest thing Yzerman did was convince Stamkos, then Hedman, to take 8.5M and 7.9M respectively.

The Cernak and Sergachev trades were masterclasses but setting up the cap structure he did is what allowed them to keep together the team they had.

I’ve been largely unimpressed with what he’s done in Detroit outside of his drafting.
Like I said, I don't think Yzerman is a bad GM. Like all GM's, he's made good moves and bad moves.

He did a great job with a lot of the contracts he signed in Tampa (Stamkos and Hedman as you mentioned). It also shouldn't be overlooked that no state tax in Florida plays a significant role in players being comfortable taking less AAV as their take home money remains unchanged in comparison to a player with a higher AAV in a different market.

The best of GMs can't help the tax % in the province/state they are employed in.

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Jacob does 2 things the Leaf D does not do well.
1. Shot blocker
2. Cannon shot on PP

Noting that both Giordano and Holl have higher shot blocks per game this year, and Lilly is about the same... so it's not really something we don't do well.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Well, I wouldn’t say he’s a bad fit for the Leafs. I see him as more of an all around defensemen and at 24 years old, he’s only going to get better. The only worry I have about him, is his ability to stay healthy.

Depend if you want to build your team to win in regular season or playoff...

Can work on regular season but hes not the type of dman who will help the leafs to reach the next level...

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not really believing these rumors until something more reputable comes out. Waiting game I guess

Not much leaks out with these guys

I'd be looking for a 3C or top 6LW and another less substantial trade trying to get somebody that can score a bit for the bottom 6 (probably a W)

Reactions: stickty111

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Depend if you want to build your team to win in regular season or playoff...

Can work on regular season but hes not the type of dman who will help the leafs to reach the next level...
He’d definitely help more in the playoffs than Sandin.

Chychrun’s all around game is miles better and he’s got the size to play in tough situations and games against bigger opponents like Boston than Sandin does.

I like Sandin but if we can upgrade him to Chychrun, that’s a no brainer and definitely makes us strong on the backend offensively and defensively.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
He’d definitely help more in the playoffs than Sandin.

Chychrun’s all around game is miles better and he’s got the size to play in tough situations and games against bigger opponents like Boston than Sandin does.

I like Sandin but if we can upgrade him to Chychrun, that’s a no brainer and definitely makes us strong on the backend offensively and defensively.

More than sandin yes im agree but leafs can get better option than chychrun probably at a smaller price for what they need, thats my point

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
More than sandin yes im agree but leafs can get better option than chychrun probably at a smaller price for what they need, thats my point

Chychrun is a damned good dman, but I think he's the type of guy you want, when you don't already have a Rielly in the lineup. He's a nice want, but I don't think a need necessarily. "IF" we go for a dman, I'd hope it's more along the lines of a Murphy, Gavrikov, Peeke, McCabe types... I understand why people like Chychrun, but I think we need to balance out the team more.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Lou Lam man

He's a 2nd line center who will usually give you around 55-60 points a season with very average defensive results

I don't hate it but I don't think the Islanders should have been the team to do this, this just looks like a middling team who will remain a middling team for the foreseeable future

Reactions: Menzinger

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
He's a 2nd line center who will usually give you around 55-60 points a season with very average defensive results

I don't hate it but I don't think the Islanders should have been the team to do this, this just looks like a middling team who will remain a middling team for the foreseeable future

I think 8/9 AAV is probably going to be the going rate moving forward for a 2C. Isles are probably gonna want a better 1C in the future.

Horvat's caphit was a 5.5 AAV he got a 2.5 AAV raise. Was a pending UFA anyway; I suspect he would have gotten overpaid more than this in the UFA market as a center.

Reactions: aingefan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia