Trades and Free Agency - 2022-23 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Sergachev is the replacement and I remember us losing Hyman for nothing, our 5th best forward the season before last

They also won 2 cups before they threw those guys overboard for cap reasons, we toss guys overboard and can't even win a god damn round

They have more guys signed longer because there core is slightly older than ours, but I'd remind you that Point, Hedman, Stamkos and the rest of there core are tied up to pretty cost effective long term deals and our guys are just about to come up so come crow to me about our awesome contracts after Matthews, Marner and Nylander are resigned because I'm willing to bett we are about to reset the market again

Sergachev is not a replacement, he was already there. They are hoping that longshots like Foote or Meyers or Fleury step up but they have ranged from poor to awful so far.

Hyman was a 2mil player we more than replaced with a 1mil player.

Their 2 cups are great and worth it but don't change the cap reality they're dealing with now.

Reactions: stickty111

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I still think Muzzin goes on LTIR to start the season, kick the eventual trade down the road somewhat.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I still think Muzzin goes on LTIR to start the season, kick the eventual trade down the road somewhat.

Listening to Mirtle on a recent podcast talk about how the front office values Muzzin, I don't think he's going anywhere until after the playoffs at the earliest.

At the same time I don't think they will mind at all if he ends up on ltir for a while.

Reactions: SprDaVE

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Listening to Mirtle on a recent podcast talk about how the front office values Muzzin, I don't think he's going anywhere until after the playoffs at the earliest.

At the same time I don't think they will mind at all if he ends up on ltir for a while.

How everyone values him you mean.

Well, other than hf.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

No I mean they’ll stash him on LTIR and kick the trade to remove salary down the road, whatever it happens to be.

I think Muzzin the player type is valuable, but his health issues really are a question mark from here on out. Ideally we can get rid of him next year and find a replacement.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No I mean they’ll stash him on LTIR and kick the trade to remove salary down the road, whatever it happens to be.

I think Muzzin the player type is valuable, but his health issues really are a question mark from here on out. Ideally we can get rid of him next year and find a replacement.
Half of the board will say replace him with Chychrun, who incidentally has missed as many games as Muzzin the last three years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Half of the board will say replace him with Chychrun, who incidentally has missed as many games as Muzzin the last three years.

Could be anyone that fits a certain play style, body type, salary, etc.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Sergachev is not a replacement, he was already there. They are hoping that longshots like Foote or Meyers or Fleury step up but they have ranged from poor to awful so far.

Hyman was a 2mil player we more than replaced with a 1mil player.

Their 2 cups are great and worth it but don't change the cap reality they're dealing with now.

No, Sergachev is the McDoungh replacement those other guys are the Sergachev replacements further down the lineup

Hyman was our 5th best forward we couldn't afford to keep after another failed campaign and if there's a team that has shown an ability to replace players it's Tampa

What? The exact same cap realities we've been dealing with since we tied up our core?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
No, Sergachev is the McDoungh replacement those other guys are the Sergachev replacements further down the lineup

Hyman was our 5th best forward we couldn't afford to keep after another failed campaign and if there's a team that has shown an ability to replace players it's Tampa

What? The exact same cap realities we've been dealing with since we tied up our core?

McDonagh was their #2D, and top matchup Dman for all their cup runs. That's a core player.

Hyman was the definition of a complementary player, borderline top-10 player on the team, who was easily replaced for cheap.

And Sergachev was already there. He is only replacing himself. They have nobody replacing McD.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
McDonagh was their #2D, and top matchup Dman for all their cup runs. That's a core player.

Hyman was the definition of a complementary player, borderline top-10 player on the team, who was easily replaced for cheap.

And Sergachev was already there. He is only replacing himself. They have nobody replacing McD.

No he's a replaceable player because they already have his replacement in house
Just like if we had a Muzzin replacement in house he'd have already been traded to

Hyman was our 5th best forward, played in our top 6, was a main PK contributer and put up significant points totals without first unit PP time (boarder line top 10 my ass)

Young players develop, then they move up the lineup and make other older more expensive players surplus to requirements
Just like we're hoping one day our young defenseman will take over for Brodie, Gio, Muzzin and make them surplus to requirements at a lower cost

How does something that basic need explaining?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Just like if we had a Muzzin replacement in house he'd have already been traded to

Hyman was our 5th best forward, played in our top 6, was a main PK contributer and put up significant points totals without first unit PP time

Young players develop, then they move up the lineup and make other older more expensive players surplus to requirements
Just like we're hoping one day our young defenseman will take over for Brodie, Gio, Muzzin and make them surplus to requirements at a lower cost

They lost their top matchup dman for nothing. They could not replace him.

No matter how hard you spin it, this is a bad thing.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
They lost their top matchup dman for nothing. They could not replace him.

No matter how hard you spin it, this is a bad thing.

They have already replaced him, that's Sergachev's new job and guys like Foote and Myers are going to do Sergachev's old job

They also got rid of McDoungh because they are concerned his play will drop off as he ages out of his prime, they got his good years and now don't have to worry about his eventual decline

This is extremely good asset management and if Sandin or Liljegren can take over Muzzins job this season or next we will try to do exactly the same thing

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He would actually need an injury for that to happen. Either way we need to be under the cap before doing that to be able to take full advantage of that situation.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I don't think Dubas is choosing to trade Muzzin. I bet promises were made. Anyways Muzzin is no trade this season which is a legal promise in writing. And for goodness sakes Muzzin is the only Leafs' defender made for the rough stuff. The team needs him or someone like him. But I would not discount Muzzin being placed on the LTIR against his wishes which could trigger Muzzin asking to shop for a destination of his own (and probably failing).

He would actually need an injury for that to happen. Either way we need to be under the cap before doing that to be able to take full advantage of that situation.
There's a reason why Muzzin said it wasn't an injury that caused him to miss the first week of training camp. He can see where this is heading. We've been though this before with Lupul.

Last edited:

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
We should be quicker to replace Muzzin than Tampa Bay was to replace McDonagh. We've won zero playoff rounds in close to 2 decades. Tampa has won 11 playoff rounds and 2 Stanley Cups in the past 3 seasons. We need more tinkering. Tampa may have been tempted to keep the band together for one more Cup run.

Last edited:

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

Hyman was our 5th best forward, played in our top 6, was a main PK contributer and put up significant points totals without first unit PP time (boarder line top 10 my ass)

I can't tell if you are being obtuse on purpose or if you just haven't watched Sergachev or McDonagh?

Sergachev does not play the same style, nor has he even been used in same way McDonagh has.

Hyman was a good player but we are seeing with Kerfoot and Bunting that basically every player looks like a top 6 player when they play next to our top 4 guys.

I don't feel like we missed him last season, tbh. His current cap hit (let's just forget the insane term he got) has been used to nab Bunting, Gio, Jarnkrok and a couple of hard working 4th liners. Our PK actually improved last year without Hyman, despite having terrible goaltending for 80% of the year.

Reactions: Avilaj07

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Anyone think we can re-sign Bunting here after this season? I think he’d love to stay like Hyman would’ve liked to stay but he’s gonna be a heavily sought after UFA and it doesn’t seem the cap is gonna increase enough to make up the difference.

Maybe losing Kerfoot’ salary helps? Maybe he’s replaced by Robertson or Knies? I’d hate to lose Bunting, he’s been great and adds some grittiness the rest of the team lacks

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Anyone think we can re-sign Bunting here after this season? I think he’d love to stay like Hyman would’ve liked to stay but he’s gonna be a heavily sought after UFA and it doesn’t seem the cap is gonna increase enough to make up the difference.

Maybe losing Kerfoot’ salary helps? Maybe he’s replaced by Robertson or Knies? I’d hate to lose Bunting, he’s been great and adds some grittiness the rest of the team lacks

If he puts up another 60+ points, we probably won't be able to afford him. We'd have to convince him that playing with 16 and 34 is better for his career in the long run.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Bunting is a pretty good complimentary player, but Robertson, Knies, Amirov, Holmberg, Voit and Hirvonen all play LW. When you have that much depth at a position, in a cap structure, you don't tie that much money to a complimentary guy.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Bunting is a pretty good complimentary player, but Robertson, Knies, Amirov, Holmberg, Voit and Hirvonen all play LW. When you have that much depth at a position, in a cap structure, you don't tie that much money to a complimentary guy.

Bunting is our Gallagher lite. It won't be the end of the world to lose him the same way we lost Mik and Hymie but I'd hate to lose the guy because I have a few lottery picks that may or may not hit.

If we lose in round #1 again, perhaps we clear out some serious cap space and we'll be able to afford Bunts.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Seems like he's best friends with Auston and Mitch so maybe he takes a discount to stay. Bunting to me just seems like someone who will want to stay. Then again, we thought the same thing of Hyman originally, so who knows.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Bunting is our Gallagher lite. It won't be the end of the world to lose him the same way we lost Mik and Hymie but I'd hate to lose the guy because I have a few lottery picks that may or may not hit.

If we lose in round #1 again, perhaps we clear out some serious cap space and we'll be able to afford Bunts.

It depends on a number of factors for sure. If Robertson sticks and plays well, if Knies comes in and plays well, if Amirov recovers and plays well.... Malgin, Holmberg... all of them factor in here.... our incentive to give Bunting a big pay day decreases the more of these guys have big years. If they don't, and he excels, then we might have to sign him.

Then as you say, it depends on how we play, and Bunting's desire to play here, vs. getting a big payday. I'd hate to lose the guy too, love what he brings. Perhaps if this group fails again in the first round, big changes are made. I'm optimistic though, and hope we do have some success, and that maybe a couple of those "prospects" who could fill his shoes, do so.

Reactions: ToneDog

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009

I’d be legitimately shocked if any one of those players ever puts up a 60 point season. I thought Amirov would be able to one day, but then his cancer, now you just hope he gets better.

I’d love more than anything for Bunting to take something like 3.5/7, but if he matches last season’s numbers he’s pricing himself into 5+ territory. I can see him taking a cut rate but nothing too crazy here.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’d be legitimately shocked if any one of those players ever puts up a 60 point season. I thought Amirov would be able to one day, but then his cancer, now you just hope he gets better.

I’d love more than anything for Bunting to take something like 3.5/7, but if he matches last season’s numbers he’s pricing himself into 5+ territory. I can see him taking a cut rate but nothing too crazy here.
Bunting hasn't made much bank to date and this could be his only big pay day. I think he'll take care of himself instead of taking a discount to stay here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad