Trades and Free Agency - 2022-23 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Islanders desperately needed scoring from any player they could get it from, in saying that this contract is only worth if it he keeps up his career pace for the first 6 years of the contract. If he goes back to his 50 point pace, it's a over payment.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
probably have to wait and see for this contract.

Nucks have been a shitshow for a while so not sure how much "team effects" would have been the case for horvat. Boudreau's run and gun system may have helped Bo's offensive production; will be interesting to see how it pans out with the Isles.

Regardless Isles now have some form of top6 center that may actually help them from offensive pov I suppose

Like I said before, I think Horvat actually fits the Isles well in terms of style. People note his atypical SH% based on tips and stuff in front of the net, but the Isles play that type of game where they drive offense by getting traffic in front. I don't think he'll be as productive as he was in Vancouver but he'll probably look better defensively while regressing in his offensive totals.

He helps them compete now .. but they're also a bubble team on the outs .. so making big moves just to get into the dance is highly risky. Sorokin could carry them but they're still a team faced with some aging core players on bad deals.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Don’t understand why some of you are saying Bo is not a good defensive player, bc from what I have seen the past few season both live and on TV, he is a very responsible and reliable 2 way player. He is cherry-picking this season though.
Also, Bo plays in the bumper spot or in front of the net on their PP until this season, where he tends to pass instead of shoot.
I am not saying Bo will score like he is doing this year bc there was a stats that stated Bo’s deflection goals accounted for abit more than 1/3 his goals total and his deflection % is insanely high and unsustainable. Having said that, Bo is probably a 60-70 pts player with good defensive plays. Not saying 8mil is a bargain but that’s pretty much his worth.

Reactions: TMLAM34

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Chychrun is a damned good dman, but I think he's the type of guy you want, when you don't already have a Rielly in the lineup. He's a nice want, but I don't think a need necessarily. "IF" we go for a dman, I'd hope it's more along the lines of a Murphy, Gavrikov, Peeke, McCabe types... I understand why people like Chychrun, but I think we need to balance out the team more.

Exactly, its nothing against chychrun... its just not what leafs...
What is it you think they need, and who’s the upgrade that comes at a smaller price?

Chychrun improves a lot for us, gives us offense on the 2nd pairing that makes us that much more potent in any situation. He’s a big body who can handle himself anywhere on the ice, and he and Liljegren will compliment well, allowing the other to do what they do best. He fits the mold at 25yo going forward, and pushes Giordano down to the 3rd pairing, where he and Holl can be at hole with effective minutes.

I’m all ears on this. I’d like Gavrikov, ideally, but Chychrun is one hell of a consolation prize

They need someone who can handle top lightning player... someone to replace Muzzin... hes not bad defensivly but not particularly good...

i think in a perfect world being able to fit a ekholm or provorov with salary cap. I prefer by far provorov all around ability and i think hes a better fit to play in a shutdown pair with brodie

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Re-signing Horvat was a necessity for NYI after making that trade at this time. We'll have to see how that contract ages (and how the team fares as a whole).

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
He's a 2nd line center who will usually give you around 55-60 points a season with very average defensive results

I don't hate it but I don't think the Islanders should have been the team to do this, this just looks like a middling team who will remain a middling team for the foreseeable future

Probably why he had been compared to a younger o'reilly... just take anybody eith a minimum of credibility and absolutly nobody will say hes not pretty good defensivly...

but like a lot of player and like it was the case with oreilly in Buffalo, its hard to look good defensivly when everybody around you is trash...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
An interesting point from Dorrie

Though it ultimately touches on another problem in the league of GMs willingly giving out contracts they know have issues (ie Lou's own words announcing the deal)

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Not sure why people are hating on that Horvat extension. He got exactly what everyone thought he’d get before the trade happened. Good trade and extension by the Islanders IMO.

Islanders got a top six center for a 1st, solid prospect and a cap dump essentially. You’d be crazy not to do that.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think 8/9 AAV is probably going to be the going rate moving forward for a 2C. Isles are probably gonna want a better 1C in the future.

Horvat's caphit was a 5.5 AAV he got a 2.5 AAV raise. Was a pending UFA anyway; I suspect he would have gotten overpaid more than this in the UFA market as a center.

I'd agree with you that he may have got more as a FA and I think he'd have made sense for a team like Boston who's centers are aging out and they have excellent play driving wingers who would elevate his game

I just don't think this was a good idea for the Islanders, I could see them being very average for a long time which isn't a good place to be

I'd say it's rich on AAV given he's having a peak season .. but not crippling. 8 years could hurt, but not until year 4 or 5 since he's 27 right now.

Isles are in win-now territory because they have an aging group .. But given where they are in the standings, I don't know if this move puts them over the top.

I think the AAV is the price of doing business now days, top 6C who's a 27 year old pending FA and can put up 60 odd points with 30 goals will get paid by somebody, you can debate how smart that is though

That team isn't good enough to do this imo, all there doing is prolonging how long they will be in purgatory

Be good or be bad, just don't be neither

Reactions: DarkKnight

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Probably why he had been compared to a younger o'reilly... just take anybody eith a minimum of credibility and absolutly nobody will say hes not pretty good defensivly...

but like a lot of player and like it was the case with oreilly in Buffalo, its hard to look good defensivly when everybody around you is trash...

He's not O'Reilly, Horvat is a useful player but if you're expecting a 2-way stud 1st line center your going to be disappointed

He doesn't really drive play and he's not great defensively, like a lot of guys he will do well in the right situation but you need to give him some help to get the best out of him imo

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Oh... $8.5 AAV now? :laugh: that gets uglier

I'd say that's 2nd. line center price for a UFA though.

Horvat at 8.5 or Tavares at 11.0, when you need to add depth to your team?

Over the past 6 years, he's averaged around 32 goals per year pace.

1675634026896.png

Last edited:

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
"McCabe has a seven-team no-trade clause, which reportedly includes each Canadian team except for the Maple Leafs."

Even if we don't get him, I love that lol.

The thing with McCabe is if he's going to cost a first...just spend another first and a non-Knies prospect and get Chychrun, who has way more upside and would be a core player. They won't have cap room for an impact forward at that point anyways.
Bingo. I don't think McCabe moves the needle for us at all. Chychrun may a little, especially in a playoff run where our older d may get worn down.
Still want Timo Meier, who I think would move the needle the most.
The Chrychrun acquisition would help the team longer term as well as now, as long as we don't give up something like Sandin.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bingo. I don't think McCabe moves the needle for us at all. Chychrun may a little, especially in a playoff run where our older d may get worn down.
The Chrychrun acquisition would help the team longer term as well as now, as long as we don't give up something like Sandin.

The issue with Chychrun though is it's going to cost an arm and a leg. They're probably looking for an Eichel like return 1st + young NHLer (Sandin/Lily) + a good prospect. The guys been on the market forever with a lot of teams needing D (which should tell us the asking price is crazy high)

So ultimately I'm not sure it's worth the cost given the Leafs could probably fill other holes for less.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
AAV for Horvat seems fine. Cap's going up, you worry about the end of the contract later, tax, refs, fans and media. They're not lucky either.

Let's wait for him to play shall we? No point being hypocritical for the sake of it.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
The issue with Chychrun though is it's going to cost an arm and a leg. They're probably looking for an Eichel like return 1st + young NHLer (Sandin/Lily) + a good prospect. The guys been on the market forever with a lot of teams needing D (which should tell us the asking price is crazy high)

So ultimately I'm not sure it's worth the cost given the Leafs could probably fill other holes for less.
I would do a first and an A prospect (Knies if necessary) and a B prospect.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
If we actually do get Chychrun, I think he will make a big impact. Just his clapper on the point on the PP, will be a HUGE help. That is definitely something that has been missing on this team for quite a long time.

He’s young, big and mobile and plays a solid all around game. He’s not even in his prime yet as a dman. He’s only going to get better!!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd say that's 2nd. line center price for a UFA though.

Horvat at 8.5 or Tavares at 11.0, when you need to add depth to your team?

Over the past 6 years, he's averaged around 32 goals per year pace.

View attachment 646125

I'd rather pay Tavares 11M, he's still a PPG 1st line center and that's what the Islanders lack

Added Depth is good but I don't think it makes a non playoff team a contender all of a sudden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille