Trades and Free Agency - 2022-23 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
AAV for Horvat seems fine. Cap's going up, you worry about the end of the contract later, tax, refs, fans and media. They're not lucky either.

Let's wait for him to play shall we? No point being hypocritical for the sake of it.
People only talk about the Horvat deal bc the GM is Lou. Any other GMs, it is a solid to good deal from the trade to the extension.
Afterall any long term deals sign by a 27-29 years old will always come with it will be pretty bad in the last few years.
Honestly if this deal happen with the Leafs, assuming we didn’t have JT as our 2C.
The trade will be Kerfoot, Hironven and our 1st for Bo and then he extends for 8.5/8yrs. Some will say the last few years might hurt and others will point out look at Bergy and others, even at 34-35, Bo would not be that big of a drop off…..but overall, we will be saying it is a good deal for us.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I worry more about Dubas tangling with Yzerman in a trade.

Yzerman is a different level of GM than Dubas, who I think could get taken out behind the woodshed by Yzerman if Shanahan left him to do it.

As much as I like Dubas' drafting and his eye for talent and under the radar soft moves, a big move with a GM of Yzerman's ilk definitely leaves me worried that Dubas would get taken to the cleaners.

I just don't have that kind of confidence in him.
I have two words as a rebuttal to any argument you have about Dubas and Yzerman and their abilities:

BEN CHIAROT

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
People only talk about the Horvat deal bc the GM is Lou. Any other GMs, it is a solid to good deal from the trade to the extension.
Afterall any long term deals sign by a 27-29 years old will always come with it will be pretty bad in the last few years.
Honestly if this deal happen with the Leafs, assuming we didn’t have JT as our 2C.
The trade will be Kerfoot, Hironven and our 1st for Bo and then he extends for 8.5/8yrs. Some will say the last few years might hurt and others will point out look at Bergy and others, even at 34-35, Bo would not be that big of a drop off…..but overall, we will be saying it is a good deal for us.

The people that defend Lou at all costs are just as strange as the people that trash him at every turn. You're all equally crazy.

Hirvonen is not close to the level of prospect Raty is. As much as I wish that he is, he isn't.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Fair enough. I think a 1st + 3rd/ lesser prospect could probably buy a pretty good forward which would be my preferred route.

Chychruns health moving would make me very hesitant for such a big package in terms of cost

I think you could get a pretty good forward that for less than that, there's a lot of motivated sellers this year

If we're giving up a 1st + I'd like to see us get somebody with term, even if it's a young guy who hasn't broken out

Big no to Chychrun, he's an IR case waiting to happen
Get Chicago to retain on McCabe and grab him, he's good defensively and he's a good replacement when Holl walks this off-season

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The people that defend Lou at all costs are just as strange as the people that trash him at every turn. You're all equally crazy.

Hirvonen is not close to the level of prospect Raty is. As much as I wish that he is, he isn't.
But Kerfoot is a much better player that Beauvillier, though.

I agree with you, I don’t understand the obsession of comparing Lou and trashing Lou. Not like he screw the Leafs up and left unless you count the Marleau and Zai’s contracts. But that’s pretty much normal for GMs.

To me, Lou is just another GM in the league while he is also a former Leafs GM and a HOF. Could really careless what he does with the Islanders unless we are facing them in the playoffs.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
But Kerfoot is a much better player that Beauvillier, though.

I agree with you, I don’t understand the obsession of comparing Lou and trashing Lou. Not like he screw the Leafs up and left unless you count the Marleau and Zai’s contracts. But that’s pretty much normal for GMs.

To me, Lou is just another GM in the league while he is also a former Leafs GM and a HOF. Could really careless what he does with the Islanders unless we are facing them in the playoffs.

The bolded is just as crazy and illogical as the people that believe Dubas has never made a bad move.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Bull****, I'd rubbish this deal no matter who the Islanders GM is

This is the GM of an average team without a ton of young talent in the minors making a win now trade that will not make them an upper echelon team

It's a terrible move for that organization and the position it's currently in imo

If this had been Boston I'd have a completely different view of it because that team is in a far better position to justify what the Islanders just did

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Such a common gm mistake league-wide.

Player in late 20's has a career season on a contract year. Some insane gm signs him long term based on the assumption that the career year production will continue. Player immediately regresses back to their career averages. Further regression continues and player is an albatross the final few years.

Tale as old as time.

And based on Lou's comment about it, seems ownership strong armed him into it.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Not sure why people are hating on that Horvat extension. He got exactly what everyone thought he’d get before the trade happened. Good trade and extension by the Islanders IMO.

Islanders got a top six center for a 1st, solid prospect and a cap dump essentially. You’d be crazy not to do that.
Because it’s Lou, if our guy did the exact same deal it’s genius personified. It’s a good deal for them imo.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Bull****, I'd rubbish this deal no matter who the Islanders GM is

This is the GM of an average team without a ton of young talent in the minors making a win now trade that will not make them an upper echelon team

It's a terrible move for that organization and the position it's currently in imo

If this had been Boston I'd have a completely different view of it because that team is in a far better position to justify what the Islanders just did
Boston or the Islanders, it was a solid move. Top six centres don’t always become available especially for a 1st, solid prospect and a cap dump essentially.

I’d say the Islanders are a lot closer to being a playoff team than a lottery team. Their forward group needs some work (where Horvat comes in) but their blueline with guys like Pulock, Pelech, Dobson and Romanov and their goaltending with Sorokin is very good.

They’ve only traded two draft picks in the upcoming season now and have all of their draft picks next season. They’ll be fine with finding some good young talent to help their prospect pool.

Reactions: JTK1967

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

I don't know why it's so hard for some to admit it was an overpay, even Lou knows it was. It was either that or lose him as a rental, and this may have been the better option. A 28 year old with a career high of 61 points who hasn't even played a game with the offense stifling Islanders isn't worth a 68 million dollar contract just because he's shooting 22% in a fluke season.

This was the flaw with the trade in the first place though. A team that's 10th in their conference shouldn't be giving a 1st + their best prospect for a guy who's either a rental or someone they have to sign to an inflated contract.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
probably have to wait and see for this contract.

Nucks have been a shitshow for a while so not sure how much "team effects" would have been the case for horvat. Boudreau's run and gun system may have helped Bo's offensive production; will be interesting to see how it pans out with the Isles.

Regardless Isles now have some form of top6 center that may actually help them from offensive pov I suppose

Horvat is tied for 17th in NHL scoring tied with some pretty good players.

1675638604682.png

1675638536121.png

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Exactly, its nothing against chychrun... its just not what leafs...

They need someone who can handle top lightning player... someone to replace Muzzin... hes not bad defensivly but not particularly good...

i think in a perfect world being able to fit a ekholm or provorov with salary cap. I prefer by far provorov all around ability and i think hes a better fit to play in a shutdown pair with brodie
Provorov’s stance on the pride night jersey almost certainly disqualifies him from being a Leaf under this management group

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
Comtois at just over $2m
Bjugstadt at 900k
Duclair, 2 years $3m
Domi, 1 year at $3m

My ideal deadline up front, of reasonably cheap players would be any 2 of these guys.
Domi and Comtois would be 2/3rds of a really hard to play against but competent 3rd line.
Duclair would add a ton of speed and offense in the bottom 6, giving us a new look.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I don't know why it's so hard for some to admit it was an overpay, even Lou knows it was. It was either that or lose him as a rental, and this may have been the better option. A 28 year old with a career high of 61 points who hasn't even played a game with the offense stifling Islanders isn't worth a 68 million dollar contract just because he's shooting 22% in a fluke season.

This was the flaw with the trade in the first place though. A team that's 10th in their conference shouldn't be giving a 1st + their best prospect for a guy who's either a rental or someone they have to sign to an inflated contract.

I mean when the GM of the team that signs the deal flat out admits there's problems with its hardly just supposed bitter Leafs fans who think that way lol.

Not to mention media coverage ect

I think it's fair to say the extension may even work out for the Isles. But the idea that Leafs fans shouldn't have a negative opinion on something like this is silly

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Lou probably dies before the horvat deals up

Dumb trade and signing

Horva is a 60 pt guy making 8.5M

This will be as poor value as the JT signing. JT is a 80 pt guy making 11M

The leafs can get away/have gotten away with this b/c we have 2 franchise players still to offset 91

The Isles don't have 1 of those players

Reactions: LeafsNation75

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Provorov’s stance on the pride night jersey almost certainly disqualifies him from being a Leaf under this management group

Thats changing absolutly nothing... some people consider how he reacting like a disrespect from provorov, but those same people disrecpect provorov faith. Just a kind of double standard completly absurd...

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don’t think giving Bo a 8/8 contract is bad. Bc he will end up signing something like that in the offseason with any teams. That’s probably the going rate for a 2C that plays in the PP and PK-sometime, and also win you draws with solid defence.
What I noticed about Bo this season is that he cherry picked quite a bit, he is often the first one out of the Dzone and the last one to leave the Ozone. Prior to this season, he is always a responsible 200ft player and seems to be the most noticeable forward(in a good way) when the Nucks struggled.
Except for the fact that Horvat's best full season currently roughly equals Nylander's worst season point's wise.....

Reactions: stickty111

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Boston or the Islanders, it was a solid move. Top six centres don’t always become available especially for a 1st, solid prospect and a cap dump essentially.

I’d say the Islanders are a lot closer to being a playoff team than a lottery team. Their forward group needs some work (where Horvat comes in) but their blueline with guys like Pulock, Pelech, Dobson and Romanov and their goaltending with Sorokin is very good.

They’ve only traded two draft picks in the upcoming season now and have all of their draft picks next season. They’ll be fine with finding some good young talent to help their prospect pool.

Who cares if you're closer to the playoffs than the lottery, your still treading water not getting high end talent or in a position to win anything

It's not a solid move, that team isn't good and this doesn't change that he's also signed for 8 years so now they can't even bottom out even if they want to in a couple of years

There prospect pool is bad, they don't have a first now in a strong draft and they won't be bad enough to get a high pick in the future

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's a 50-60 point center who went on a shooting bender for 40 games in a contract year

8.5 is bad

He's basically this year's JT Miller and Nazem Kadri. When he settles into his typical level of production next year that price tag won't look so hot. It would be another thing if Horvat was an impact player at the Pastrnak level and could change the look and feel of a team, but he's really not that guy. Plus the Islanders are not that team to take on a finishing piece like this. But, none of my business and I wish them nothing but zero success.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Lou probably dies before the horvat deals up

Dumb trade and signing

Horva is a 60 pt guy making 8.5M

This will be as poor value as the JT signing. JT is a 80 pt guy making 11M

The leafs can get away/have gotten away with this b/c we have 2 franchise players still to offset 91

The Isles don't have 1 of those players

They have 4Cs making 30 mil combined into their mid/late 30s, of those Cs maybe Pageau wins an head to head matchup against most playoff 3Cs before they add rentals, if Boston or Toronto pick up a ROR then that advantage is gone. Whatever combination of Horvat/Barzal/Nelson is at 1/2C is worse than Bergeron/Kreijci, Matthews/Tavares, etc, the only win is Horvat/Nelson vs Cirelli but Paul and Pageau cancel out.

Then we consider that they have the worst group of wingers of any playoff team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad