Trades and Free Agency - 2022-23 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Holl definitely gets his fair share of criticism around here and he certainly does have a propensity to make some costly mistakes but he's been a very useful player in the Leafs improving defensively.

Out of defensemen that have played 1000 minutes or more this season, he ranks #19 overall in % of starts in the defensive zone.

I like this stat in terms of finding D who are regularly being asked to start in the difficult zone of the ice and would think these players are guys who should translate well in the playoffs when the games become tighter.

Interesting that Gavrikov ranks #4 overall in this stat and he's name that's been floated.

Screenshot (552).png

Reactions: BayStBullies

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Chychrun social media hubbub aside, I would target him. Probably costs a 1st, Sandin and/or a prospect. He has 2 years left on his contract after this year, but a M-NTC kicks in after this year. He had the size, offense we need for the playoffs. As long as we keep Liljegren, I think we can afford losing Sandin with Topi coming up in a year or so and Timmins’ play also deepens or D core to pull from.
I still don't understand the hype around Chychrun. He might be a good player, but I don't see him being the cornerstone of a team's defense and certainly not worth the asking price to get him. At his current contract he's good value, but much like Rielly his next contract is going to be big and then his value for what he's paid will go down.

To me this feels like the Trouba situation from a few years ago where there was all this hype about him and how he wanted to be traded away from the Jets and how he was linked to a number of teams that were interested until the Rangers got him. Now several years later many Rangers fans want him gone if possible because his on ice play doesn't match his salary. Yeah pass on Chychrun for me especially at the cost it would take to get him.

I still believe getting a good scoring forward should be the Leafs top priority, but if they really want to get a Dman then let it be someone else (no Dumba either) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but can play some good defense.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I read an article about how Dubas could make a “cheeky” move, by trading for Nyquist. Not sure if I’m allowed to attach the link to the article, so I won’t.

It basically says that by trading for him and then putting him on LTIR after one day, it would open up a lot more cap space to make moves at the deadline.

I apologize if this has already been discussed.

That’s not how LTIR works. I don’t know his injury status but the cheeky part of that deal would be to sit him on LTIR until playoffs adding essentially a free player

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nylander has amassed his point totals (one more than Larkin) in sixty games less.
Yup

It was just an observation that Larkin and Nylander have similar NHL goals and points to this point in their careers. It wasn't meant as a slight to Nylander who had to sit out 1/2 a season in a contract dispute with Dubas.

I was making a point only that I would have drafted Larkin from my personal pre-daft rankings list instead of Nylander, If I were the one drafting for Leafs at that time. :)

All that stemmed from Larkin at the All-star game saying he enjoyed playing with Marner.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Since I am living in Michigan I feel compelled to chime in on Larkin. I see no way he leaves Detroit. He is beloved here more than any Leaf is beloved in Toronto. He is probably the most popular Detroit athlete right now. Yzerman is pressing him just like he did to Stamkos but at the end of the day I just don’t see him leaving.
What about as a playoff rental ??

Larkin to go to the Leafs for this playoff season only and then as a UFA this summer return to Detroit and also increase the assets of the Wings at the same time for what the Leafs would pay to acquire him.

This reminds me of the Mats Sundin situation in the past where Leafs Nation wanted him to waive his NMC to be traded at the deadline with Leafs out of the playoffs and then return to Toronto in the summer once he was a UFA again.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Yup

It was just an observation that Larkin and Nylander have similar NHL goals and points to this point in their careers. It wasn't meant as a slight to Nylander who had to sit out 1/2 a season in a contract dispute with Dubas.

I was making a point only that I would have drafted Larkin from my personal pre-daft rankings list instead of Nylander, If I were the one drafting for Leafs at that time. :)

All that stemmed from Larkin at the All-star game saying he enjoyed playing with Marner.
Nylander playing those games instead would have somewhat bridged the GP gap while possibly creating a new one in points differential!

It's obviously tough to be too certain about how Larkin might have fared as a Leaf (and ditto for Nylander playing elsewhere).

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I still don't understand the hype around Chychrun. He might be a good player, but I don't see him being the cornerstone of a team's defense and certainly not worth the asking price to get him. At his current contract he's good value, but much like Rielly his next contract is going to be big and then his value for what he's paid will go down.

To me this feels like the Trouba situation from a few years ago where there was all this hype about him and how he wanted to be traded away from the Jets and how he was linked to a number of teams that were interested until the Rangers got him. Now several years later many Rangers fans want him gone if possible because his on ice play doesn't match his salary. Yeah pass on Chychrun for me especially at the cost it would take to get him.

I still believe getting a good scoring forward should be the Leafs top priority, but if they really want to get a Dman then let it be someone else (no Dumba either) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but can play some good defense.

So you're worried about how much he'll cost in 2.5 years? My friend, this time could be in a full rebuild by that point. I could not care less about the potential raises in the 2025-2026 season. In the meantime he's on a good deal when we know we're trying to contend. They can trade him again before he leaves in free agency if that's such a concern.

And Chrychun has played good defense this year. He had a rough season last year but has bounced back nicely. From a recent article in the Athletic

"leading the Coyotes’ blue line in expected goals percentage (46.6 percent) and actual goals percentage (54.4 percent). The fact that the Coyotes are able to outscore anyone with Chychrun on the ice feels like a miracle and a testament to his impact at both ends of the ice. He’s doing all that in tough minutes too, and the end result is a 2.9-win pace."

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I can't see how anyone can argue that Chychrun woudn't be a good add. He's a fantastic player on a great contract.

I wouldn't look to trade for him at any cost but if you can get him at a cost that makes sense, it would be a great move.

The important thing to do here is to balance the cap and the team's assets to hopefully be able to make more than one impactful move.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Great points above about Chyrchrun. He's having a great year. Of course I would love to have him.

Also, he's 24. One year older than Lily and 2 years older than Sandin. He will only get better.

Sometimes we commit a thinking error where we think our prospects and players will grow and other teams' prospects and players are what they are.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Overdrive after the Bruins game said it best, I am paraphrasing, getting depth is not about getting bottom 6 players, it means getting players higher up in the lineup to bump guys down.
I think getting Meier or Kane or ROR or Toews or whoever in the Top 6, one thing that Keefe needs to do and I have been stressing this since the Blue Jackets series, Keefe needs to figure out how to spread the big four in three lines.
Let’s say they get Meier, can adding Meier allows Keefe to spread the big four into three effective lines? Bc bumping down Bunting or Calle to the 3rd line ain’t doing much to improve depth scoring.
Or maybe Leafs need TWO mid 6 forwards to accomplish that instead of Meier or Kane.
Or try Holmberg and Engvall with AM or JT lines and see how they play.
The reality is that, we are stuck being 2nd or 3rd place and Keefe needs to find internal solutions.
This AM injury might just be blessing in disguise if Keefe willing to try guys like Holmberg and Engvall higher in the lineup and see if they play there or not.
Engvall always shows glimpse of that, keep him in the top 6 and see if he can do it more consistently.
Holmberg shows sign he can play, maybe play him in the Wing instead of C in the Top 6.

I would also try Calle with AM on the first line with the new forward addition bc I think Bunting is more suited with JT and MM as a matchup line in the playoffs. Then you have the three Swedes on the third line with Willie leading charge. Kampf, ZAR and Anderson/Simmonds/McMann be on the 4th line.
I like the idea in theory but it’s so hard to spread out minutes. We still need a shutdown type line too which if against the other teams too like will need minutes. Our strength is supposed to be our top 6…..diluting their minutes seems counter productive.

Here’s what I believe: Stack the top two lines. 3rd is shutdown mostly with ability to score. 4th is energy bang and crash line. 3rd/4th provide our PKs mostly. Top 2 lines provide our PP mostly.

Where I get messed up is Kampf. He’s our shut down center. But provides little offence. Can we surround him with two wingers to bring out some depth scoring from that line? Kampf/Jankrok/_____. Is there a single addition that can help here? Or do we need a complete change?

So top 6 LW (Meier is the dream) Stack it!
3rd line winger scorers that are also defensively responsible.

Tough calls

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Great points above about Chyrchrun. He's having a great year. Of course I would love to have him.

Also, he's 24. One year older than Lily and 2 years older than Sandin. He will only get better.

Sometimes we commit a thinking error where we think our prospects and players will grow and other teams' prospects and players are what they are.
People love the mystery box, prospects are exciting to see their potential growth into a NHL player, but nothing beats an already NHL player like Chryrcrun for example. I don't agree with trading top prospects for a rental, but I am certainly okay with trading someone like Knies for a player with term that's a actual NHL top 6 forward.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Since I am living in Michigan I feel compelled to chime in on Larkin. I see no way he leaves Detroit. He is beloved here more than any Leaf is beloved in Toronto. He is probably the most popular Detroit athlete right now. Yzerman is pressing him just like he did to Stamkos but at the end of the day I just don’t see him leaving.

Yzerman is cold blooded.

I don't see this as being a hindrance to a trade, especially as the team isnt very good.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Yzerman is cold blooded.

I don't see this as being a hindrance to a trade, especially as the team isnt very good.
I worry more about Dubas tangling with Yzerman in a trade.

Yzerman is a different level of GM than Dubas, who I think could get taken out behind the woodshed by Yzerman if Shanahan left him to do it.

As much as I like Dubas' drafting and his eye for talent and under the radar soft moves, a big move with a GM of Yzerman's ilk definitely leaves me worried that Dubas would get taken to the cleaners.

I just don't have that kind of confidence in him.

Reactions: geo25

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Yzerman is a different level of GM than Dubas, who I think could get taken out behind the woodshed by Yzerman if Shanahan left him to do it.

As much as I like Dubas' drafting and his eye for talent and under the radar soft moves, a big move with a GM of Yzerman's ilk definitely leaves me worried that Dubas would get taken to the cleaners.

You don't think Dubas and the org sets a price on players? And that he won't walk away if he can't get it for close to his valuation?

Just because you may not agree with his valuations, doesn't mean he routinely exceeds them. This isn't fantasy hockey deals.....

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Other than the Sergachev trade, which at the time was pretty straight across/slightly in his favour, please show me where Yzerman obviously fleeced anyone. He and Dubas are a lot alike in their strengths being their eye for talent (which is aided by their scouting staffs) and prudent free agent identification and signings.

I’m not the least bit worried about Dubas trading with Yzerman

Reactions: Rocker13 and kb

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

Agreed. If it's anything like the Foligno debacle, it'll be a tough one to swallow.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
I read an article about how Dubas could make a “cheeky” move, by trading for Nyquist. Not sure if I’m allowed to attach the link to the article, so I won’t.

It basically says that by trading for him and then putting him on LTIR after one day, it would open up a lot more cap space to make moves at the deadline.

I apologize if this has already been discussed.
Is providing sources really not allowed here? I feel like it would help, as the majority of posts here just seem like someone trusted random Twitter users or made it up.

Reactions: Americanadian

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Yzerman's ilk. I agree that Yzerman did a good job with Tampa Bay (although his successor pushed the team over the top and won cups).

Yzerman has placed 8.25 million in AAV that he signed on waivers THIS season between two players. Those players are both currently in the AHL leaving 6 million in dead cap on their cap sheet

He also signed Andrew Copp to a 5x5.6 contract. Copp is currently putting up the same numbers as Jarnkrok.

Yzerman (like any other GM) has made good moves and bad moves. I'm not sure his name should be thrown around like he's some untouchable God that turns water into wine.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yzerman's ilk. I agree that Yzerman did a good job with Tampa Bay (although his successor pushed the team over the top and won cups).

Yzerman has placed 8.25 million in AAV that he signed on waivers THIS season between two players. Those players are both currently in the AHL leaving 6 million in dead cap on their cap sheet

He also signed Andrew Copp to a 5x5.6 contract. Copp is currently putting up the same numbers as Jarnkrok.

Yzerman (like any other GM) has made good moves and bad moves. I'm not sure his name should be thrown around like he's some untouchable God that turns water into wine.
Yzerman.

Reputation >>>>>>>>> Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad