Proposal: Trade Thread Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
You can't just evaluate things in a vacuum like that. The reality is that they are both important. Sure, Laine will be amazing with Suzuki. But what happens if Koktka falters? Whos taking his place? Whos playing vs the best lines on other side?

The reason to keep Danault is because not only can he be that faceoff, defensive guy- he can step into a top 6 role and has the experience to do it.

Scoring 30 extra goals with Laine but allowing 30 more doesnt help the cause.

Yes, trade for Laine. Go for it. All im saying is creating a big hole elsewhere doesnt advance us.
Amen!

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
TRADE BAIT: 30 names in play as we break down where each of the 31 #NHL teams stand cap-wise and financially heading into the offseason.
Trade Bait: The NHL's 31 teams fit neatly into three buckets this off-season - TSN.ca https://t.co/2FedHh2wv0

THE COMFORTABLE MIDDLE BUCKET

Montreal Canadiens: GM Marc Bergevin has just $42 million committed for 2021-22. How much of the following year’s cap does he want to chew up this off-season? RFA Max Domi needs a new deal and Phillip Danault has questioned his place in the Habs’ hierarchy.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The top heavy is about talent more than cap hit. Habs are in a position with vets and good young talent on ELC/Bridge deals. This is why I say we need to make moves now. Price/Weber sill effective and Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov, and then Caufield on ELC/Bridge deals for the next 3-5 years.

In 5+ years, the money will move around if those kids are who we think they are. There is no salary graft or cheat sheet to use on a correct model. It's all about cap projections of what you have under contract and ones coming. We have done a good job at improving our youth and like I said... Vets still here. Price, Weber, Petry, Gallagher, Tatar. We are in a good spot to move up in that 3-5 year span. After 3 years, Weber retires and you reevaluate then

I don't have a Goalie, Defense, Forward preferable split. It's about what you have and how it projects forward. If you want to know where we fall with the rest of the NHL? This site will help you.. NHL 2020 Cap Tracker. And remember, Suzuki and KK are on ELC/Bridge deals for a few years yet. Gallagher, Tatar, Danault, Domi will get raises. Then add the missing winger with size/scoring we are looking for. Our cap space will be spent more on forwards moving forward.

If we don't do anything else but give contracts to Domi, Juulsen, and Mete, that creates a 23 man roster. We would be sitting at around $75M and I'm not counting Alzner for this exercise

Goalies:
* $14.85M/$75.19M = 19.75%
* 2/23 man roster = 9%
* Skewed number due to Allen for one year. This will drop down to 14% or lower after this next season

Defense:
* $24.93M/$75.19M = 33.16%
* 8/23 man roster = 35%
* This is pretty much set for a few years.

Forwards:
* $35.41M/$75.19M = 47.09%
* 13/23 man roster = 56%
* This will be a moving target and any cap space we have will be spent on forwards.

Basically, when Allen is off the books, Primeau is the back-up, Alzner is gone, and we add that winger with size/scoring... We will be about 5% over the averages on Goalies and 5% under on forwards. We are not that skewed as people think. And as time moves forward, others will catch us with goalie salaries while we spend that space on forwards or D

End Result: There is no salary graft or cheat sheet to use on a correct model. It's about what you have and the timing of when contracts expire vs how much good young talent you can insert on ELC/bridge deals.

sure...

but arguing that "top-heavy" is problematic I would say is silly.

Talent is priority #1. Only rare outliers win without elite talent at a few positions.

Next 3-5 years will be more mediocrity, like the past 3-5, unless we add at least 2 elite level talent players WITHOUT losing/replacing the higher end talent we currently have.

Depth and role players are easy to swap in/swap out... easy to acquire.

As MB has shown since day 1, adding elite talent is difficult, especially without strategy and vision behind your roster moves.

Oilers have shown that securing elite talent ALONE is also problematic, but they stand out as an exception as far as a team that hasn't been able to build success around 3-4 elite level talents. Will be interesting to see how long it takes Holland to fix that, I suspect it won't be too long.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
How much further up the draft board could we go by attaching both our 2nds to our 1st in a trade?
I have a feeling a good player will drop. If anything habs move up one or two spots because a guy they didn't expect is still lingering and they don't want to risk losing him.

In that regard I could see moving up to lets say 14th and a 3rd for our 1st and a 2nd

Reactions: Deebs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
sure...

but arguing that "top-heavy" is problematic I would say is silly.

Talent is priority #1. Only rare outliers win without elite talent at a few positions.

Next 3-5 years will be more mediocrity, like the past 3-5, unless we add at least 2 elite level talent players WITHOUT losing/replacing the higher end talent we currently have.

Depth and role players are easy to swap in/swap out... easy to acquire.

As MB has shown since day 1, adding elite talent is difficult, especially without strategy and vision behind your roster moves.

Oilers have shown that securing elite talent ALONE is also problematic, but they stand out as an exception as far as a team that hasn't been able to build success around 3-4 elite level talents. Will be interesting to see how long it takes Holland to fix that, I suspect it won't be too long.

Challenges remain but with the assets we have (age 21 and under), I don't see the Habs being top heavy up front. I see three 2nd lines we can roll with a good 4th line and a great team D with Price. If you don't like that? What's the alternative? Rip it all apart and play the lottery for 5 years?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I have a feeling a good player will drop. If anything habs move up one or two spots because a guy they didn't expect is still lingering and they don't want to risk losing him.

In that regard I could see moving up to lets say 14th and a 3rd for our 1st and a 2nd
Is there a particular player you're thinking we'd like to target at 14?

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Is there a particular player you're thinking we'd like to target at 14?
I am not the prospect guy lol! Especially not this year normally I am well read on the topic but this year with Covid my interest in hockey is at an all time low. I in part blame Bergevin and his roster for this too though. I am tired of watching a middle of the pack team with no superstars.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
They aren't the only team (as reported by Andy Strickland) but of the teams I've spoken to, Montreal feels they may be closer than anyone else to getting it done. Sabres, Panthers, and Penguins are also possibilities..

about big buff

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
They aren't the only team (as reported by Andy Strickland) but of the teams I've spoken to, Montreal feels they may be closer than anyone else to getting it done. Sabres, Panthers, and Penguins are also possibilities..

about big buff
Where'd you see this?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Minnesota: Domi
Winnipeg: Dumba, Danault, MTL 2021 1st
Montreal: Laine

Domi, Danault, 16th OA for Laine? If you can sign Koivu as the mature center for one or two years, it might work. Might back fire on us but it's Laine. You better hope Laine grows into that 80+ pts and 50 goal man though. Cause if he is who he is... we have someone at 66 pts and 37 goals. Imagine if Domi bust out with the Jets, they hit with the 16th pick, and Danault does what he does? That might be the Patch trade flipped back on us. Tatar, Suzuki, Norliner

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Domi, Danault, 16th OA for Laine? If you can sign Koivu as the mature center for one or two years, it might work. Might back fire on us but it's Laine. You better hope Laine grows into that 80+ pts and 50 goal man though. Cause if he is who he is... we have someone at 66 pts and 37 goals. Imagine if Domi bust out with the Jets, they hit with the 16th pick, and Danault does what he does? That might be the Patch trade flipped back on us. Tatar, Suzuki, Norliner

I would acquire Perreault back and a softener (2nd might be too much, maybe 2nd next year) for cap instead of signing Koivu

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Could David Perron finally make his way to the Canadiens?
Dan Robertson of TSN 690 believes so.
Robertson says it's the name at the top of the list for potential trade targets and is more than affordable at his current $4million cap hit for the next two seasons. He registered 25 goals in 71 games this past season with the Blues and Robertson says he'd be the perfect place holder until Cole Caufield is ready. He's got loads of playoff experience and would have a certain comfort level with former teammates Edmundson and Allen around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad