Proposal: Trade Thread Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I still think Bennett is a guy we should target aggressively... Even more so now that we've blown cap space on depth making it much harder to leverage cap room to target established top-6 talent.

To Cgy
Allen, Kulak or Mete, 2nd or 3rd

To Mtl
Bennett, Rittich

Cgy needs a G solution, Allen I'm sure is on their radar.
They also need to address many holes on D, with not much cap flexibility, so either Mete or Kulak make a lot of sense for them.
Bennett seems to be close to putting it together and has the talent to be a very solid top 6 contributor, so the offer would need to fill enough needs for them to pull the trigger...
Rittich, despite the bad playoffs, is more than capable of spelling price for 30ish games or more if called upon.

Bennett- Suzuki - Drouin
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - JKO - Armia
Lekhonen - Evans - Byron
Poehling, Weal

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Mete/Kulak - Romanov
Fleury, Juulsen

Price
Rittich

Not a contender, but maybe just enough "lunch pail" grit & depth to be a goalie-driven team that can exceed expectations...

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I still think Bennett is a guy we should target aggressively... Even more so now that we've blown cap space on depth making it much harder to leverage cap room to target established top-6 talent.

To Cgy
Allen, Kulak or Mete, 2nd or 3rd

To Mtl
Bennett, Rittich

Cgy needs a G solution, Allen I'm sure is on their radar.
They also need to address many holes on D, with not much cap flexibility, so either Mete or Kulak make a lot of sense for them.
Bennett seems to be close to putting it together and has the talent to be a very solid top 6 contributor, so the offer would need to fill enough needs for them to pull the trigger...
Rittich, despite the bad playoffs, is more than capable of spelling price for 30ish games or more if called upon.

Bennett- Suzuki - Drouin
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - JKO - Armia
Lekhonen - Evans - Byron
Poehling, Weal

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Mete/Kulak - Romanov
Fleury, Juulsen

Price
Rittich

Not a contender, but maybe just enough "lunch pail" grit & depth to be a goalie-driven team that can exceed expectations...
If we move Danault, Benny would be a great fit at #3C for us. Works hard, physical, smart player...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If we move Danault, Benny would be a great fit at #3C for us. Works hard, physical, smart player...

Yeah... Though I think he's a better W fit at this point, both in his career progression & his fit for either Suzuki or JKO. Has enough skill & hockey sense to complement offensively, but plays the game with the kind of defensive responsibility that would support our C's relative inexperience.

Reactions: Deebs

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Looking at some of the posts, I don't get how some feel Mete has value in trades? I would never trade for him.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I think we could see a trade involving draft picks for a young forward, not unlike the Shaw trade a couple years ago, though ideally more of a scorer. I'm not sure who the target could be. Given that we have so many UFA's at forward next year, I could see the Habs wanting to add a young-ish, established winger to ensure some continuity up front beyond next season.

Reactions: Archijerej

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I think we could see a trade involving draft picks for a young forward, not unlike the Shaw trade a couple years ago, though ideally more of a scorer. I'm not sure who the target could be. Given that we have so many UFA's at forward next year, I could see the Habs wanting to add a young-ish, established winger to ensure some continuity up front beyond next season.
With all our picks, I'd be all for it

Reactions: lamp9post

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Wouldnt be surprised if the player is Josh Anderson

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Looking at some of the posts, I don't get how some feel Mete has value in trades? I would never trade for him.

22yrs old
170 NHL games (despite being very undersized)
Under 1.5M RFA

What's more surprising is how under-appreciated he is by some Habs fans.

In any reasonable assessment, he's been a very positive surprise who has exceeded realistic expectations thus far in his young career.

That he hasn't excelled as a top 4 dman "yet" shouldn't be a strike against him... It's only because of how poorly our D depth has been managed that he's been slotted in the top 4 before he was ready.

Reactions: Steve Shutt

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
22yrs old
170 NHL games (despite being very undersized)
Under 1.5M RFA

What's more surprising is how under-appreciated he is by some Habs fans.

In any reasonable assessment, he's been a very positive surprise who has exceeded realistic expectations thus far in his young career.

That he hasn't excelled as a top 4 dman "yet" shouldn't be a strike against him... It's only because of how poorly our D depth has been managed that he's been slotted in the top 4 before he was ready.
Despite this, it appears that he’s been relegated to 3rd pairing off-wing, and Juulsen, Fleury and Brook are all knocking on the door.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
He is a top 4 only on a team with no d. He will always be a 5-6-7 guy because he can't produce, and can't play the PK.
Only here he is overvalued. He has played 170 games because we lack depth, and he is a good skater. As depth improves, he will be phased out. I would easily take a healthy Juulsen over him. So he would be behind Weber, Petry, Chiarot, Romanov, Edmonson, Kulak, and Juulsen. Where does he fit in? If anywhere, that is on the 3rd pairing, or the 7th guy.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Despite this, it appears that he’s been relegated to 3rd pairing off-wing, and Juulsen, Fleury and Brook are all knocking on the door.

Yes, he's been"relegated" to a role much more fitting to his current level...
How he progresses the next 2-3 seasons will be interesting. If he's still at this level at 24-25, so be it. But what he's done so far remains a net positive and imo suggests he could still certainly progress to a legit/solid top 4 NHLer

Ppl should look at Rafalski's career progression, that's a good comparable imo (in terms of skill set & potential), at the same age he wasn't even in the NHL yet, and didn't for another 4 years.

Mete has shown he can play in the NHL already, ppl who think he's a bust or a write off are missing the big picture and/or don't get athlete progression.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
No need to move Kulak or Mete. Both have shown they can play in the top-4 for stretches and are good options to have in case of injuries. Brook and Fleury should be in the AHL for another year and Juulsen is a question mark based on injuries. We also don't know what we're going to get with Romanov and he is eligible for the AHL anyway. If he impresses and makes a spot, then you can look to move to Kulak/Mete or send down Juulsen. Doesn't make sense to me that we would add depth in Edmundson and then deal it away by moving Mete/Kulak and risk relying on unproven players by doing so. Obviously if either is part of a package, so be it, but moving them just to open up a roster spot doesn't make sense.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
No need to move Kulak or Mete. Both have shown they can play in the top-4 for stretches and are good options to have in case of injuries. Brook and Fleury should be in the AHL for another year and Juulsen is a question mark based on injuries. We also don't know what we're going to get with Romanov and he is eligible for the AHL anyway. If he impresses and makes a spot, then you can look to move to Kulak/Mete or send down Juulsen. Doesn't make sense to me that we would add depth in Edmundson and then deal it away by moving Mete/Kulak and risk relying on unproven players by doing so. Obviously if either is part of a package, so be it, but moving them just to open up a roster spot doesn't make sense.

Mete is now the team's 7th dman.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Bergevin talking contract with Domi
means 3 things
Danault could be traded
Domi could be trade with known value
Domi is a our big winger

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I expect Romanov to be on the starting roster.

Then our depth charts look pretty similar, just swapping Mete and Romanov. Either way, I don't mind him as #7 for insurance in case Romanov needs more time. This is by no means universal, but if you look around the league at defensive TOI, a lot of #5-#7 D end up playing relatively similar minutes over the course of a season due to injuries or other reasons. Point being that a #7 isn't merely a place holder to ride the pine; they play.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I'm 99,9% sure Romanov will be playing alongside Weber by the end of this year. He's that good.

He's a player comparable to Moritz Seider. Steady as hell.

Calm down a bit bro.

Seider is out of this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad