Proposal: Trade Thread Part 54

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Don't think he said Caufield was untouchable though right? Danault with extension and Caufied would be a serious package

He didn't say anything about Caufield, but neither was he asked.

The untouchable labels were only given out in answer to specific players being named by the interviewer.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see the Jets trading Laine to us unless we include Suzuki/KK which is a no go.

You don't think they would value a signed Danault and Caufield? I think Danault for 6+ years in his prime on a friendly contract would fit well behind Scheifele. Doesn't Danault fit more in terms of them winning now vs later vs Suzuki and KK? Caufield as their best prospect who slots in on the ELC/Bridge contract years. This allows them cap space to target guys on D. And the Habs can offer one of our young RD's which they need. Any one of Juulsen, Fleury, Brook would likely be the best young asset at RD for them.

I get what your saying but you never know. Danault after Scheifele is a great 1/2 combo IMO.

If not Laine... Who? What team needs a 200' center now and has a big scoring winger to spare? Jets fit. Who else?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don’t really feel comfortable saying where the leak may have come from (besides I wouldn’t want either of us to have any legal repercussions - or him break a friendship with the original source), but I can assure you that I know for a fact my friend is friends with someone especially close to the organization. Think management+. As for the return, I was only told he’s going all-in for a big scoring winger.

Did he ever give you a scoop that really happen in the past ?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I really hope Caufield isn’t sacrificed. We need more players like him (goal scorers), not less.

If it's Laine and a signed Danault... Caufield is the logical add on piece. Also one of Brook or Fleury as well. And in the last interview... I don't believe he said Caufield was untouchable. Hate to trade Caufield... agree on that. But you got to give to get. A signed Danault is not enough. Maybe Danault and our 16th OA pick with Poehling or Brook? :dunno:

If it's just Danault... who is that big scoring winger? It's not Mantha cause why would the Wings do that? I think the Wings would be after futures.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You don't think they would value a signed Danault and Caufield? I think Danault for 6+ years in his prime on a friendly contract would fit well behind Scheifele. Doesn't Danault fit more in terms of them winning now vs later vs Suzuki and KK? Caufield as their best prospect who slots in on the ELC/Bridge contract years. This allows them cap space to target guys on D. And the Habs can offer one of our young RD's which they need. Any one of Juulsen, Fleury, Brook would likely be the best young asset at RD for them.

I get what your saying but you never know. Danault after Scheifele is a great 1/2 combo IMO.

If not Laine... Who? What team needs a 200' center now and has a big scoring winger to spare? Jets fit. Who else?
I think they want quality over quantity. They don't need any wingers, they are already loaded there. They aren't going to trade Laine for multiple good pieces, they probably want top piece(s).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Interesting development and it does fall in line with what we are after. Also interesting that he didn't say Caufield was untouchable in his recent interview. I would say Danault with extension and Caufield is a very serious package.

Laine, Mantha, Rakell, Anderson come to my mind. Anybody else others can think about?

Stats guru Mike D'Amico had offered the following, on top of the more obvious Laine and Mantha targets (and yes, he also had Rakell on his list):

Palmieri, NJ, a 29 year old, 25 plus goal scorer, 5'11, 185 lbs.
Boeser, Van, 23 years old, 25 plus goal scorer, 6'1, 208 lbs.
Bjorkstrand, Jackets, 25, 6', 177 lbs.: 21 goals in only 49 games last season.
Rakell, Ducks, 27, 6', 196 lbs.: scored 30 plus goals 3 and 4 seasons ago.

Contractual status:

Palmieri: RW or LW, is UFA after this season. 4,650.000 AAV. Has NTC (submits an 8 team no trade list)
Boeser: RW, 2 more seasons before becomes RFA, 5,875,000 AAV.
Bjorkstrand: RW, RFA after this season, 2,500,000 AAV.
Rakell: C, RW and LW, signed for two more seasons, 3,789,444 AAV and then becomes UFA.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm going to assume if what you said happens, it's a guy like Josh Anderson or Nino Niederreiter since they ware cheap bandaids which Bergevin loves. Not for Danault+ though.

If you're assuming what he says happens, those are the big wingers for which Bergevin would go "all in"? If you buy into the rumor, a bigger asset is necessarily involved.

Reactions: JackieChan

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If it's just Danault... who is that big scoring winger? It's not Mantha cause why would the Wings do that? I think the Wings would be after futures.

Operative words are "Danault +" and going "all in".

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think they want quality over quantity. They don't need any wingers, they are already loaded there. They aren't going to trade Laine for multiple good pieces, they probably want top piece(s).

Not so sure about that. They need a center like Danault if Little is going to retire. And Caufield is a top piece. He's a serious grade A+ prospect. Jets are all about team friendly deals and the last thing they want is to bring in another piece that demands what Laine is demading.

A signed Danault, Caufield, and Brook or Fleury is not just some small quality package. I think you are underselling that. Regardless, probability of this being true and it's Laine is small, very small. Imagine Jets fans if that was the package? I'd laugh in their face on how the conversations wend about Laine in the last year or so.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If you're assuming what he says happens, those are the big wingers for which Bergevin would go "all in"? If you buy into the rumor, a bigger asset is necessarily involved.
I don't think Bergevin will go all in because I don't see a team willing to get rid of their big offensive winger for a combination of 16th OA/Domi/Danault/Mete. Bergevin probably "tries" and then settles for a player similar to the 2 I mentioned.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Not so sure about that. They need a center like Danault if Little is going to retire. And Caufield is a top piece. He's a serious grade A+ prospect. Jets are all about team friendly deals and the last thing they want is to bring in another piece that demands what Laine is demading.

A signed Danault, Caufield, and Brook or Fleury is not just some small quality package. I think you are underselling that. Regardless, probability of this being true and it's Laine is small, very small.
They could use a Danault, but not at the expense of their Rocket Richard contending 22 year old. I don't see Caufield as an A+ prospect and I doubt the Jets do as well. It is low quantity package when you are talking about a recent 2nd overall pick who has been a goalscoring monster.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well you can rule out Danault to Buffalo, they just got Eric Staal. On the other hand Minnesota just traded their best center when they already needed centers.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think Bergevin will go all in because I don't see a team willing to get rid of their big offensive winger for a combination of 16th OA/Domi/Danault/Mete. Bergevin probably "tries" and then settles for a player similar to the 2 I mentioned.

That's a separate argument. Sure, we know how Bergevin normally operates. We're just having fun playing hypotheticals stemming from The Loyal Dog's post.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They could use a Danault, but not at the expense of their Rocket Richard contending 22 year old. I don't see Caufield as an A+ prospect and I doubt the Jets do as well. It is low quantity package when you are talking about a recent 2nd overall pick who has been a goalscoring monster.

- We agree on Danault
- We don't agree on Caufield. He's not blue chip but he is grade A+. He would calm down the Jets fans base in terms of a goal scoring asset to replace Laine
- Would they move Laine? They will if he is asking for $9M - $10M range.... especially if he is asking for front loaded money and July bonus.

Goal scoring monster? He's averaging Patch numbers in his first 3 seasons. 37 goals. You make it sound like he is a young Ovi. Yes, his shot is unreal but like Wheeler said... He's not a line driver and doing this on his own. When I look at his development and growth in the 1st 4 years... I see a flat curve and not steep uphill trajectory. I think fans overvalue Laine cause he is this flashy slam dunk type that you see in the NBA. You have to remember that he is playing with some serious top 6 talent with the Jets.

I get the stance you are taking. You are trying to put yourself in the Jets shoes. But acting like that is some average quality package is underselling it. But like I said... the chances this is true we are trading Danault+ for a "big winger" and it's Laine... It's small, very small.

Reactions: Defangles

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
- We agree on Danault
- We don't agree on Caufield. He's not blue chip but he is grade A+. He would calm down the Jets fans base in terms of a goal scoring asset to replace Laine
- Would they move Laine? They will if he is asking for $9M - $10M range.... especially if he is asking for front loaded money and July bonus.

Goal scoring monster? He's averaging Patch numbers in his first 3 seasons. 37 goals. You make it sound like he is a young Ovi. Yes, his shot is unreal but like Wheeler said... He's not a line driver and doing this on his own. When I look at his development and growth in the 1st 4 years... I see a flat curve and not steep uphill trajectory. I think fans overvalue Laine cause he is this flashy slam dunk type that you see in the NBA. You have to remember that he is playing with some serious top 6 talent with the Jets.

I get the stance you are taking. You are trying to put yourself in the Jets shoes. But acting like that is some average quality package is underselling it. But like I said... the chances this is true we are trading Danault+ for a "big winger" and it's Laine... It's small, very small.
You are massively underrating Laine. He is 7th in goals since coming into the league. That's a goalscoring freak right there. Pacioretty is 25th.

Reactions: CHfan1

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
@A Loyal Hot Dog

- If you are right and it's Danault and Caufield for Laine... you are our hero for reporting this first.

- If you are wrong... nobody will ever believe you again :laugh:

Just teasing bud

He only said "Danault +". He said nothing about Caufield other than hoping he's not involved.

Regardless, it's always fun to speculate.

Reactions: A Loyal Hot Dog

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Truth is right there that he is 7th in goals since coming into the league. Pacioretty didn't do that. In fact, if you remove this year, he is 2 goals away from 3rd in the league for goals. He's become a lot better of a player overall this year, but his goalscoring took a hit.

I'm comparing Laine from 18-21 vs Patch in his prime. Laine put up Patch numbers from 18-21. That's what I meant. Of course he is a goal scoring machine... if you have the right center and mix of top 6 forwards for him. He's not a line driver and you need to list to Wheeler's comment... "he's not doing that all by himself".

Take away his shot? What's left? I'm a huge Laine fan but he's not a complete forward. I'd still trade for him though and then overpay him on the next contract. We need that shot power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad