Proposal: Trade Thread Part 54

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They're probably going to want to get rid of Stepan who's not a $6m guy if he ever was, but yes, they'll want at least a 1st as they have no picks in the first 3 rounds of this draft.

Drouin's salary this year is $4.5m while OEL's is $8m; however, that rises to $10.5m over the next 3 years. They'll definitely save by moving him.

Montreal has the resources to get it done.

Sens are a good spot for Stepan. He has already been paid his bonus and only $3M in actual salary for one more year. I agree with have the resources to get it done! But Edmondson would have to be let go

I'd offer the 16th, Poehling or Harris, and Kulak (small contract) as a base. See what they say. Then maybe include the 2021 1st (top 10 protection as well). I think they are after futures and a lower budget level.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The problem with that is Bergevin has never traded away his 1st round pick in 8 years.

True but he does have 2 years left in term and at some point, has to make a move. Habs not moving up the standings might cost him his job.

I supported a prospect pool rebuild and have done well there. But I don't have a linear type strategy. At some point we should dig into that when a guy like OEL is available for cheap. Remember the crap we had to trade from in our pool when ROR, Carter, RyJo, Duchene became available? Not saying we should jump on any guy but man... OEL from 29-35 is attractive to me. Pieces like this don't come available very often. We'd have to do our homework on him but I think they might unload him like the Preds did with Subban. Does he fall flat on his face like Subban? Doubt that on the Habs cause he'd be playing with either of Weber or Petry.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The problem with that is Bergevin has never traded away his 1st round pick in 8 years.

I don't think that would be a problem per se - assuming it's the right deal. He made an offer sheet last year that included a 1st round pick - probably would have paid more for different players too.

I think he'd be more willing to pay in picks for a top prize though maybe as a package deal, then a middle-tier player.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I think they are trying to get down to the $70M budget level (including the bonues they already gave out). If they move OEL, it's probably for futures IMO. And maybe a contract like Kulak going the other way. Just my hunch

But Bergevin traded for the rights to Edmundson. So if he is signed, That's pretty much the LD fix according to him. Then we have 22 players signed with about $7.5M in cap space (after Mete, Evans, and Juulsen are signed to 1 way deals close to $1M and under).

I would love to acquire OEL! Great opportunity to address our PP and LD top end need.
Yotes will figure out a way to drop to $70M without dealing OEL, it’s not as if he’s UFA to be, same with other big names, I don’t expect any to move unless they’re UFAs or in the last year of their contract. At the end of the day NHL is a very conservative league

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yotes will figure out a way to drop to $70M without dealing OEL, it’s not as if he’s UFA to be, same with other big names, I don’t expect any to move unless they’re UFAs or in the last year of their contract. At the end of the day NHL is a very conservative league

Very possible but if he is available... we need to be front runners and acquire. But they already paid about $20M in bonuses money that they were late on and I think that $70M budget included the money already paid.

Would Bergevin sign Edmondson before he knows if OEL if on the trade market or not? That's a good question

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Very possible but if he is available... we need to be front runners and acquire. But they already paid about $20M in bonuses money that they were late on and I think that $70M budget included the money already paid.

Would Bergevin sign Edmondson before he knows if OEL if on the trade market or not? That's a good question
That’s an important point - Habs management team values character, hockey IQ and low maintenance above all else. OEL embodies all three to perfection, I have no doubt MB looked into it and either decided the price tag was too exorbitant or player wasn’t really being moved, and wanted an asset that fits the team within acceptable boundary conditions in Edmundson.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That’s an important point - Habs management team values character, hockey IQ and low maintenance above all else. OEL embodies all three to perfection, I have no doubt MB looked into it and either decided the price tag was too exorbitant or player wasn’t really being moved, and wanted an asset that fits the team within acceptable boundary conditions in Edmundson.

It's very possible that OEL did not waive his NMC for any team or he has the Habs on the no list.

Would Bergevin/Molson be afraid of taking on that contract? No idea. Hope someone in the media ask him the question about the Habs budget in the covid-19 world this next season. "Are the Habs prepared to add contracts or are we on a strict budget". They did add Allen as a expensive back-up and had over $5M in cap space for 3 years in a row now. I read yesterday that any player with NTC had to list their teams? Does that apply to guys with NMC who GM's want to ask them to waive? Is that tied together?

Reactions: Vachon23

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018

Speculation is that MB wants to keep his 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks (our own) just in case an OS comes available again.

Not saying he wouldnt move one if the deal was right but he does like to "keep his options open" so...

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Speculation is that MB wants to keep his 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks (our own) just in case an OS comes available again.

Not saying he wouldnt move one if the deal was right but he does like to "keep his options open" so...
Speculation from whom?

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009

isnt that next year picks we need since OS happens after draft. This make no sense to me

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

It's only Dreger but ... apparently anyone 25 or older on their roster, make an offer.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Have you not watched Dumba this season? He doesn't look close to what he was prior to his injury.

Yes, I saw him a few times this season.
Yes, he struggled last season (by the lofty standards he had risen to, at 24, pre injury) after 10months out of action.

He is fully recovered (from a pec tear... Not a knee/hip/groin or even wrist/shoulder... Injuries with far greater Long term decline concern)

Played full season at 22min/game.
Improved as the season went.
Was still more productive at both ends of the ice than Petry at the same age (without the injury layoff).

Odds-wise... I'd say it's a slam dunk that Dumba will be the better dman over the next 5-7 seasons. That's no knock on Petry, to be clear.
If Petry were 26 & playing at his current level, id gladly favor re-signing him.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Dumba cost assets
Petry is free

why are we talking about this? their ages?
Want to lose Domi (trade) and Petry (ufa) for Dumba?

BIG WINGER!

Well, i thought it was obvious... but to clarify, if we traded for Dumba, Petry of course becomes a highly valuable trade asset. Perhaps the asset required to land that "big winger".

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
It's only Dreger but ... apparently anyone 25 or older on their roster, make an offer.

Pretty much all the insiders are saying the Yotes are open for business lol. Just not much there to get excited about. Pass on OEL as well imo. He isn't what he was and I'm not sure a change of scenery reignites him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Someone posted yesterday that any player who had a NTC had to list their teams as of 5 yesterday. If you have a NMC like OEL... are you allowed to ask at anytime for them to waive? Or would they have to wait for 5pm yesterday as well and then they give their lists?

Would OEL want to play for the Habs with either of Weber or Petry? He would not say no right? :dunno:

How many teams can fit in his cap hit, need a LD like that, and has futures to spare to acquire? And has RD's like Weber and/or Petry to play with? Seems like a match but is Bergevin/Molson willing to do it?

Pretty sure most teams interested will try to send a contract the other way so if they do, it better be one with lesser actual salary vs cap hit right? They already forked out almost $20M in bonuses and I'm assuming this is included in the $70M budget

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Someone posted yesterday that any player who had a NTC had to list their teams as of 5 yesterday. If you have a NMC like OEL... are you allowed to ask at anytime for them to waive? Or would they have to wait for 5pm yesterday as well and then they give their lists?

Would OEL want to play for the Habs with either of Weber or Petry? He would not say no right? :dunno:

How many teams can fit in his cap hit, need a LD like that, and has futures to spare to acquire? And has RD's like Weber and/or Petry to play with? Seems like a match but is Bergevin/Molson willing to do it?

Pretty sure most teams interested will try to send a contract the other way so if they do, it better be one with lesser actual salary vs cap hit right? They already forked out almost $20M in bonuses and I'm assuming this is included in the $70M budget

or maybe they didn't want to pay 22m for 3 defensemen on a long terme

33m of our cap space (40%) for a long time would have been on 3 defensemen and 1 goalie

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Bad idea. We have other pressing needs. Just cause Dumba "might" be available, you are jumping on it. Massive disrespect towards Petry and this whole 30 and your done BS needs to stop.

Why do you think Petry won't sign? You assuming he is greedy and wants a max deal when he took a discount to stay to begin with? He's on record saying his family was raised in Montreal and they like it here. There is zero evidence to support he wants out. If you try to sign him for $5M, you might piss him off where he does want to leave yeah. But 4 years at $6.25M taking him to age 37 is not horrible. Just stop it with the age 30+ and your done. This is spiraling out of control.

"massive disrespect to Petry" :lol:

what is this, kindergarten? It's a business. You can keep the emotional stuff for xbox leagues and build your fantasy rosters with all of the players you feel deserve your respect.

Dumba is a superior asset for this franchise looking at the future, if the objective is building a solid contending window and winning a cup. THat's not disrespect to Petry.

The question of whether it would be preferable to have Petry or Dumba signed long term over the next several seasons has an obvious answer. Dumba.

Is he available? rumors swirlling, doesn't mean he gets dealt.
Would we put in the best offer? Who knows... obviously the benefit of trading for DUmba depends on the cost of acquisition.
Will Petry re-sign? No one knows that for sure. There are a number of legitimate reasons that he'd be inclined not to re-sign, ignoring those doesn't erase them.
Should we re-sign Petry? Depends on what the contract demand would be... Overpaying for him to end up with both RD's signed at major cap hits and both being on the downside of their primes (or Weber's case, well past it), isn't a smart way to build a contending roster.

So if you leave the emotional stuff aside, the simple assessment that Dumba would be a better RD asset to have in place for the next 5-7 years, is not at all an outlandish claim (nor any "disrespect" to Petry).

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Pretty much all the insiders are saying the Yotes are open for business lol. Just not much there to get excited about. Pass on OEL as well imo. He isn't what he was and I'm not sure a change of scenery reignites him.

I doubt Julien liked him too much (though he was just a kid at the time), but Kessel is the type of talent that this team could use. RH shot, PP threat. I don't think he'd cost too much considering the season he just had.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I doubt Julien liked him too much (though he was just a kid at the time), but Kessel is the type of talent that this team could use. RH shot, PP threat. I don't think he'd cost too much considering the season he just had.
I think they'd move him for a couple Bell Center hotdogs....:)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
or maybe they didn't want to pay 22m for 3 defensemen

Who the hell knows what Bergevin/Molson are thinking. I'd be a bit annoyed if we choose Edmundson over OEL. Are they afraid of OEL from 29-35? If so, Hall will be 29-35 on his next contract.

I'm not one to worry about how much % goes to goalies, forwards and D. That fluctuates depending on timing of contract expiry and ELC/Bridge deals

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Apparently Vancouver could be dangling with the idea of moving Boeser if they resign Toffoli and Markstrom.

This would truly be a solid piece on the right wing for years to come and I wonder what could make a deal for him works.

Reactions: Deebs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I agree it's something that we should explore. Maybe Jeff wants to end his career at home to be closer to his family.

We definitely should have a very clear indication from him if re-signing in Montreal is his priority... and if so, and if the decision is that we are willing to do it, that extension should get done asap. Waiting would be incredibly stupid, because if we are fighting for the playoffs next year, MB will use that as an excuse not to trade him and then risk losing him for nothing next summer.

That he has two young kids just starting school and his wife is american should be a flag... For a guy like Petry who, barring major injury next year, will have a ton of suitors should he hit UFA status, the incentive to play closer to "home", or even just in the US, given the COVID realities, will be high (and doesn't matter what vaccines or community spread looks like next summer, just the impact of border shut downs and restricted travel is bound to have families heavily considering being closer to each other "just in case").

Reactions: Deebs

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Who the hell knows what Bergevin/Molson are thinking. I'd be a bit annoyed if we choose Edmundson over OEL. Are they afraid of OEL from 29-35? If so, Hall will be 29-35 on his next contract.

I'm not one to worry about how much % goes to goalies, forwards and D. That fluctuates depending on timing of contract expiry and ELC/Bridge deals

I edit my post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad