Proposal: Trade Thread Part 54

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Montreal no longer has the cap space after Edmundson to go big game UFA shopping without dumping contract(s).

Even though they have $10.2M in cap space (according to CapFriendly), you are correct in saying they need to move contracts out. MB said he will keep some room on the cap as a cushion in case of injuries, but I think the most likely scenario for them to address scoring and size on the wings is through trade.

So cap goes out while cap comes back.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
also theres a rumor about 6X6 to Gallagher

That is just people speculating. There have been preliminary talks. But they haven't gotten to the phase of the negotiations where they talk term and money yet. So whoever comes out with contract numbers is just speculating.

MB said to JiCi the other day that he's starting to get in touch with the agents of the players with one year left on their contract (Gallagher, Petry, Danault, Armia & Tatar). But it's more about having that first conversation and see where the player and team envision.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Neither Hudon nor Ouellet will be on the NHL roster (I doubt Hudon will be be brought back), but there will be other depth moves to be accounted for. My guess would be:

- a bottom pairing RD, unless they want to play someone on his off side permanently. That likely means one of Mete/Kulak is traded.

- a 4th line forward, either center or winger, depending on how they want to deploy Evans.

- a depth forward to challenge Weal for a roster spot/provide insurance for Evans.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
This is Bergevin's year, no doubt. He's had his retool and now he has a room full of vets, some of which becoming UFA next year who want a show me year this year as to whether they stay or go. If plan fails, team will fall apart and full rebuild likely needed. He'll take his shot this year and go after some big needs. He took care of back up, and D depth. Next will be a big power forward who can score and more depth up front. This isn't like past year where he went into the season with $10M in cap, he HAS to win this year. Given the state of the NHL and several teams having to cut salary and payroll, Habs have a shot at going far this year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is Bergevin's year, no doubt. He's had his retool and now he has a room full of vets, some of which becoming UFA next year who want a show me year this year as to whether they stay or go. If plan fails, team will fall apart and full rebuild likely needed. He'll take his shot this year and go after some big needs. He took care of back up, and D depth. Next will be a big power forward who can score and more depth up front. This isn't like past year where he went into the season with $10M in cap, he HAS to win this year. Given the state of the NHL and several teams having to cut salary and payroll, Habs have a shot at going far this year.

Two more years in term left with Bergevin. If he does nothing and waits for the kids... Not sure they save his job. I think he needs to make a move for a winger with size that can score. Someone good on the PP too.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I can really see Hoffman, MB can pay him , no assets gone....that is MB type of deal
I know Hoff scores consistently but I just can't get excited about this guy. Just doesn't seem to fit in anywhere he goes

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
I can really see Hoffman, MB can pay him , no assets gone....that is MB type of deal

Hoffman will want 7 millions at least, hes 30.
we have 10.2
3.2 left with 10 (+1) 7 2

with that amount we need to sign 3 players, thats 3 minimum contract

now we need to create space of trade Domi, if we do we cant acquire much money back

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'm getting a bit crazy here, but I think there is a 3-way trade to be done between Minnesota - Montreal and Winnipeg.

Montreal trades: Philip Danault, Victor Mete
Minnesota trades: Matt Dumba

then,

Montreal trades: Matt Dumba, 16th overall pick
Winnipeg trades: Patrik Laine

Montreal gets Patrick Laine
Winnipeg gets Matt Dumba and an extra 1st round pick
Minnesota gets Philip Danault and Victor Mete, while they desperately need a C

Value-wise I think Minnesota gets bent a little bit but they need a top-6 C so much you never know...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Funny I can see MB signing Hoffman...but I can see CJ not wanting to play him.

I'm not convinced those two always have the same vision for how they want to see the roster.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I'm getting a bit crazy here, but I think there is a 3-way trade to be done between Minnesota - Montreal and Winnipeg.

then,

Value-wise I think Minnesota gets bent a little bit but they need a top-6 C so much you never know...
I'm really thinking the deal I put up yesterday involving Domi, Dumba and Boeser could be something that gets some traction. I'm sure an extension for Max and additional picks would need to be added but each team gets what they're looking for.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009

then,

I think Danault has more value than Dumba, that could work with small tweaks

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I see 2 possible moves:

- mete + for pulju: mete now expendable. Pulju available, presumably. Habs get cost-controlled (bridge), big RW with talent and upside. He’s Finnish, so a good fit in the locker room. Not a big setback if it doesn’t work out.

- Domi for ehlers: Winnipeg could use a center. Habs could use a winger. Ehlers is fast, consistent, and good for at least 20 goals. He’s locked up at 6M. Both players can play their preferred position.

Ehlers - Suzuki - Gally
Tatar - KK - pulju
Drouin - Danault - Armia
Byron - Evans - lehkonen

alternatives:
Pulju <——> Josh Anderson
Domi <—-> Danault

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

then,

Not the worst idea I've heard. The main course is there just need to work in some appetizers and side dishes to make it a meal :)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I see 2 possible moves:

- mete + for pulju: mete now expendable. Pulju available, presumably. Habs get cost-controlled (bridge), big RW with talent and upside. He’s Finnish, so a good fit in the locker room. Not a big setback if it doesn’t work out.

- Domi for ehlers: Winnipeg could use a center. Habs could use a winger. Ehlers is fast, consistent, and good for at least 20 goals. He’s locked up at 6M. Both players can play their preferred position.

Ehlers - Suzuki - Gally
Tatar - KK - pulju
Drouin - Danault - Armia
Byron - Evans - lehkonen

alternatives:
Pulju <——> Josh Anderson
Domi <—-> Danault

Mete isn't expendable. He's by far Montreal's best transition D. Edmonton doesn't need LD anyways.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
A name nobody is talking about that I think would be a bounce back candidate on a new team, a low risk high reward as they are not signed long term, on a cash strapped team who could potentially move for peanuts on the dollar.

Phil Kessel would bridge our gap on the right side as we wait and see on Caufield. 2 years at 6.8 with a 5 million dollar bonus due next season. Play him on the #1 PP and with Kotkaniemi at ES. I could see him put up a 25/25 type season with upside for more and not cost us an arm, a leg, and a long term contract.

I would even go so far as wonder if Alzner with maybe 500k retention to even out the owed salary this season could be included. Alzner, if bought out after the season, would be owed 2 Million spread over 2 years. That could be attractive to the Coyotes if it means moving 5 Million being owed on 1 day. Not the sexy name by any means, but could be a strong value that doesn't break the cap. And those juicy memes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad