Proposal: Trade Thread #61

Status
Not open for further replies.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Lol...

6 games played. What a sample!
The smaller the sample size, the easier it's to decide which trio has been the best so far. It seems like you used the sample size argument for the first time and it backfired hilariously. HabsWhiteKnightLOL - level of cleverness. Congrats.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I find it hilarious that a Weber for Karlsson + 1st trade is being rejected on the main boards when that would've been laughed out of the room by Sens fans in like August 2018. Funny how things workout.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
yes totally a guy that can't make it to 30 points in a season is clearly better than Drouin Tatar Gallagher adn Toffoli.

You are absolutely right.

It's about potential, though...

Armia, for example, has the potential not to be re-signed so we can make some room under the cap to re-sign other players. ;)

That's extremely valuable.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Coaches are paid to decide who plays with whom. And are there to balance their offense. And Laine is not the most reliable defensively to start with.

I hate this lazy narrative.. as a Habs fan living in Winnipeg, Laine played the past two-way hockey of his career last year and really rounded out his game (which led to a reduced season for goals). There's been multiple stories here in Winnipeg about Wheeler's attitude towards other players and how he complained when Laine got any time with Scheifele - the fact that the Jets chose an aging captain (who has defensive issues of his own) over a young generational goal scorer will always be talked about here.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I find it hilarious that a Weber for Karlsson + 1st trade is being rejected on the main boards when that would've been laughed out of the room by Sens fans in like August 2018. Funny how things workout.

Wait till Subban signs with the Leafs after next year on a $1M deal and has a bust out season at age 33. I'm not going to like that and the probability is high IMO.

Reactions: frapp10

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Wait till Subban signs with the Leafs after next year on a $1M deal and has a bust out season at age 33. I'm not going to like that and the probability is high IMO.
I think PK is through and he knows it and that’s why he’s working on his social media brand. He can’t skate well anymore, it’s never coming back. I saw someone say he plays like he can still fly and that’s why it doesn’t work.

I haven’t watched a whole lot of Erik Karlsson in the past few years but it would be cool to have him. Just not at 11M.

Could you imagine Erik Karlsson and Suzuki on the same power play?

Jul 6, 2016
I hate this lazy narrative.. as a Habs fan living in Winnipeg, Laine played the past two-way hockey of his career last year and really rounded out his game (which led to a reduced season for goals). There's been multiple stories here in Winnipeg about Wheeler's attitude towards other players and how he complained when Laine got any time with Scheifele - the fact that the Jets chose an aging captain (who has defensive issues of his own) over a young generational goal scorer will always be talked about here.

I'm sorry for Jets' fans. But when will Chevaldea or Maurice be fired ? They are the ones who are supposed to manage that team and get rid of "cancers".

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Danault
1st
Harris
Armia
Byron

For

Crosby

Pittsburgh gets a young roster player, a pick, and a good prospect, Danault gets to be an offensive C, Montreal improves their cup contention chances, and the trade is approximately cap neutral.

Reactions: Runner77

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Danault
1st
Harris
Armia
Byron

For

Crosby

Pittsburgh gets a young roster player, a pick, and a good prospect, Danault gets to be an offensive C, Montreal improves their cup contention chances, and the trade is approximately cap neutral.
Pittsburgh at first wonders which intern is playing a prank on them and then they tell you to go have inappropriate relations with your mother, maybe have them with your father as well and then suggests you go drink a bottle of bleach

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Pittsburgh at first wonders which intern is playing a prank on them and then they tell you to go have inappropriate relations with your mother, maybe have them with your father as well and then suggests you go drink a bottle of bleach

FYI it's 2021 not 2012. Pittsburgh needs to rebuild. They may not realize it now but they could very well realize it by the end of the season.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
FYI it's 2021 not 2012. Pittsburgh needs to rebuild. They may not realize it now but they could very well realize it by the end of the season.
it's terrible and you should be ashamed of yourself :)

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

sure... but Crosby is still one of the top players in the league, on a contract that pays him less than any of his comparable peers - except mackinnon (man oh man has Sakic done an amazing job with that roster!).

I'd be all for trying to take advantage of the Pens looking at a possible re-build, and Crosby's noted affinity for the habs (which hopefully would make us a preferred destination for him, as you know Lemieux & co. will factor that heavily into where he gets moved IF he gets moved).

i'd suspect your offer would need to be beefed up to make it work...

Danault (with pre-negotiated and/or signed extension)
1st & 2nd
Guhle, Poehling
Armia, Byron (that byron has to be included for cap reasons, might make it 2x 1st instead of 1st & 2nd)

and i'd still do it, though even then, not sure it's enough... someone like Calgary (Gaudreau/Monahan), Vancouver (Boeser), Detroit (Larkin/Mantha) et. could come in and offer better NHL proven young talent that we'd be hard pressed to match with Danault as our NHL centrepiece

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
sure... but Crosby is still one of the top players in the league, on a contract that pays him less than any of his comparable peers - except mackinnon (man oh man has Sakic done an amazing job with that roster!).

I'd be all for trying to take advantage of the Pens looking at a possible re-build, and Crosby's noted affinity for the habs (which hopefully would make us a preferred destination for him, as you know Lemieux & co. will factor that heavily into where he gets moved IF he gets moved).

i'd suspect your offer would need to be beefed up to make it work...

Danault (with pre-negotiated and/or signed extension)
1st & 2nd
Guhle, Poehling
Armia, Byron (that byron has to be included for cap reasons, might make it 2x 1st instead of 1st & 2nd)

and i'd still do it, though even then, not sure it's enough... someone like Calgary (Gaudreau/Monahan), Vancouver (Boeser), Detroit (Larkin/Mantha) et. could come in and offer better NHL proven young talent that we'd be hard pressed to match with Danault as our NHL centrepiece

People always make these assumptions about stars but in practice they never take in that much on the trade market. The closest comparable to Crosby from recent memory is Chris Pronger, who was closer to his prime, leading his teams to the finals all of the time, and he didn't rake in that much.

Crosby is 33 years old with *a lot* of mileage. He has a 9 million dollar cap hit for four more years.

Why would Detroit trade Larkin and Mantha? They wouldn't.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
People always make these assumptions about stars but in practice they never take in that much on the trade market. The closest comparable to Crosby from recent memory is Chris Pronger, who was closer to his prime, leading his teams to the finals all of the time, and he didn't rake in that much.

Crosby is 33 years old with *a lot* of mileage. He has a 9 million dollar cap hit for four more years.

Why would Detroit trade Larkin and Mantha? They wouldn't.

That you went back to Pronger just highlights how seldom a team trades that kind of talent...

And if you look at what he was traded for, it actually makes my point...

In 05 for Brewer (a top young nhler, 24yr old top pairing D who was a former top 5 pick ), a recent 1st (very similar to Poehling) & recent 2nd

In 06 for luppul (top 6 fwd, recent 7th overall, 23 years old), Smid (top prospect, 2 yrs from 9th overall), a 1st, 2nd & conditional 1st (turned into Eberle).

In 09 for Lupul again (now less valuable but still top 6), 2x 1st, 3rd & top prospect D (sbisa, 1 year from 19th overall).

In none of the cases was a cap burden like Byron included, nor a Ufa to be...

So yeah, your Pronger example amplifies the point that your initial offer was unrealistically low.

Re Larkin/Mantha... I bet Yzerman wouldn't blink if he could turn those two into Crosby... He, better than many GMs, knows just how rare and valuable that kind of talent & leadership is worth.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
...did they just discuss the idea of Crosby to Montreal on TSN’s intermission?
I would be all in for this. You don’t say no to getting Crosby. With Weber, Price, and Crosby, this would be our best chance since 93 to win a Cup. That said, I’m not trading Suzuki.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
That you went back to Pronger just highlights how seldom a team trades that kind of talent...

And if you look at what he was traded for, it actually makes my point...

In 05 for Brewer (a top young nhler, 24yr old top pairing D who was a former top 5 pick ), a recent 1st (very similar to Poehling) & recent 2nd

In 06 for luppul (top 6 fwd, recent 7th overall, 23 years old), Smid (top prospect, 2 yrs from 9th overall), a 1st, 2nd & conditional 1st (turned into Eberle).

In 09 for Lupul again (now less valuable but still top 6), 2x 1st, 3rd & top prospect D (sbisa, 1 year from 19th overall).

In none of the cases was a cap burden like Byron included, nor a Ufa to be...

So yeah, your Pronger example amplifies the point that your initial offer was unrealistically low.

Re Larkin/Mantha... I bet Yzerman wouldn't blink if he could turn those two into Crosby... He, better than many GMs, knows just how rare and valuable that kind of talent & leadership is worth.

Like I wrote before it's 2021 not 2012. A team that acquires Crosby is getting three or four good years tops. The Habs already have several of his peers in Price, Weber, and Perry, they're still serviceable but that clock is ticking. What did you think of Kovalchuk last year? What about Chara? What did you think of Jagr in his last few seasons?

Larkin wouldn't be traded for Crosby in 1for1 swap.

That said Crosby would he a good fit for the Habs, and over the next four years he'd transition from 1st to 3rd line center.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Like I wrote before it's 2021 not 2012. A team that acquires Crosby is getting three or four good years tops. The Habs already have several of his peers in Price, Weber, and Perry, they're still serviceable but that clock is ticking. What did you think of Kovalchuk last year? What about Chara? What did you think of Jagr in his last few seasons?

Larkin wouldn't be traded for Crosby in 1for1 swap.

That said Crosby would he a good fit for the Habs, and over the next four years he'd transition from 1st to 3rd line center.
So you would pay 11M for a 3rd line center. I would rather pay Danault 5.5M and doesn't cost asset to get Crosby.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So you would pay 11M for a 3rd line center. I would rather pay Danault 5.5M and doesn't cost asset to get Crosby.

When you pick up a tour year contract you pick up the average value of the four years. Crosby is a first liner this year, and will be a second or third liner the time he is 37.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad