Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ovie and Crosby in MTL next offseason !

Imagine! OK... I have to go play with Cap friendly armchair GM now! :laugh:

Edit: It don't work

* We would have to let Danault, Tatar, Armia, Lehkonen walk
* We would have to ask the Pens to retain on Crosby. Then who do we trade?
* We would probably have to pay Ovechkin close to $9M or $10M.

Tried several options and it's difficult.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Fleury is cheap and better than Mete. Heck even Ouellet was way better in the bubble.
Fleury is not better than Mete, the guy struggled in the AHL when he got sent down. While Toillet was better than Mete in the bubble, I still have more confidence in Mete than him in case of an injury. Unless the offer is too good to pass up on, we might as well keep Mete.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Imagine! OK... I have to go play with Cap friendly armchair GM now! :laugh:

Edit: It don't work

* We would have to let Danault, Tatar, Armia, Lehkonen walk
* We would have to ask the Pens to retain on Crosby. Then who do we trade?
* We would probably have to pay Ovechkin close to $9M or $10M.

Tried several options and it's difficult.

LOL!

No shit!?

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Would be nice but wonder how we can pull that off with our cap space? What term and AAV is Ovechkin going to get?
With Tatar gone and Seattle picking up an Edundson or Allen, that would open a fair bit of cap. Add the kids coming up in the next year or so and more cheap bodies, replacing older more expensive ones.

If Ovy wants to come, you can make the space!

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Fleury is not better than Mete, the guy struggled in the AHL when he got sent down. While Toillet was better than Mete in the bubble, I still have more confidence in Mete than him in case of an injury. Unless the offer is too good to pass up on, we might as well keep Mete.

Fleury is still developing. He isn't over the hill or having reached a plateau by any means, IMO. Plus, he's more physical than Mete and will likely win more one-on-one battles in his own zone.

At this point, we're arguing the difference between 15% and 16% cream, though. Neither will sink this team.

Reactions: le_sean

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With Tatar gone and Seattle picking up an Edundson or Allen, that would open a fair bit of cap. Add the kids coming up in the next year or so and more cheap bodies, replacing older more expensive ones.

If Ovy wants to come, you can make the space!

No... It's more difficult to fit all in than you think. Let me ask you this... what you trading to get Crosby? What youth/futures? Starts there. And if you ignore that part, you will realize that even if you let Tatar, Danault, Armia, Lehonen walk, trade Chiarot, and Allen it taken in the expansion draft, it still don't work.

We would have get Ovechkin around $8M and have the Pens retain on Crosby. How you going to get Crosby without Suzuki, KK, or Romanov? Ripple effect issues

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
No... It's more difficult to fit all in than you think. Let me ask you this... what you trading to get Crosby? What youth/futures? Starts there. And if you ignore that part, you will realize that even if you let Tatar, Danault, Armia, Lehonen walk, trade Chiarot, and Allen it taken in the expansion draft, it still don't work.

We would have get Ovechkin around $8M and have the Pens retain on Crosby. How you going to get Crosby without Suzuki, KK, or Romanov? Ripple effect issues
I was talking about signing Ovy as a UFA. Not interested in Crosby TBH.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Fleury fits the composition of the defence far better. He’s big and physical, which is clearly something the Habs are going for.

If they can get value for Mete now, they should do it because they are possibly losing him for nothing to Seattle.

The difference is negligible anyways. If there’s an injury, you’re not inserting Mete or Fleury to play 20+ mins a game. So if someone values Mete to be a regular defenceman and they are willing to pay a decent price, take it.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Fleury is still developing. He isn't over the hill or having reached a plateau by any means, IMO. Plus, he's more physical than Mete and will likely win more one-on-one battles in his own zone.

At this point, we're arguing the difference between 15% and 16% cream, though. Neither will sink this team.
Never said otherwise, in fact, I'd prefer protecting Fleury over Mete. That being said, right now, I'd go with the guy that is a lot more experienced and provides much needed mobility.

I think the difference is greater than that, but I agree that we would need to trade for a dman regardless.
Fleury fits the composition of the defence far better. He’s big and physical, which is clearly something the Habs are going for.

If they can get value for Mete now, they should do it because they are possibly losing him for nothing to Seattle.

The difference is negligible anyways. If there’s an injury, you’re not inserting Mete or Fleury to play 20+ mins a game. So if someone values Mete to be a regular defenceman and they are willing to pay a decent price, take it.
We need different types of dmen. I also don't see Seattle taking him given that they could pick Chiarot/Edmundson or even Allen.

But you are playing Brett Kulak a lot more and he isn't good in a greater role.

Reactions: Vachon23

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I don’t like playing this game. Who knows where he’ll be performance wise, league income etc. Too many variables but whatever market value is on a short term deal.

Below was the rumoured offer:

GM Brian MacLellan said the team had initial conversations with Ovechkin shortly after their team elimination from the playoffs, but that those talks would be tabled until training camp. A report out of Russia later claimed that talks centered around a three-to-five year deal with a salary cap hit in the $9.5 million to $10 million range.

Alex Ovechkin contract: What will his next Capitals contract look like?

Is it worth it to offer Ovy more than that?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Below was the rumoured offer:

Alex Ovechkin contract: What will his next Capitals contract look like?

Is it worth it to offer Ovy more than that?
I saw that as well but a lot ha changed and a lot more can still change. That’s why I don’t like making guesses. If there’s a deal to be struck, I’m sure they can work something out. I doubt Ovy leaves Washington anyways so probably moot. Though it would be something to see him on the Habs for a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad