• Nick Suzuki

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would go get an other D after that but cheaper then Kulak. Whether a RD or a guy that we could use on the 2nd wave of PP that would be more useful then Kulak is for us know

Honestly, I'd move Byron now if the deal was fair and then look at making moves during the season... after we get to see how it looks.

Some owners might get more stingy (or cranky) as the season goes along and they keep digging into their pockets. Moving Byron creates flexibility with our cap now and in the future so that makes sense for us... even if we turn around and sign Perry. I just don't see Perry signing with us as a RW when we have Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli, and Armia. There is really no top 9 open spot for Perry and I'm sure he's looking for that type of opportunity if he signs for $1M or under

It's funny though... Rewind before March and any Perry talk to the Habs would be laughed at. His value is playoffs. It would be smarter for the Habs to make a move for that type at the deadline

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Honestly, I'd move Byron now if the deal was fair and then look at making moves during the season... after we get to see how it looks.

Some owners might get more stingy (or cranky) as the season goes along and they keep digging into their pockets. Moving Byron creates flexibility with our cap now and in the future so that makes sense for us... even if we turn around and sign Perry. I just don't see Perry signing with us as a RW when we have Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli, and Armia. There is really no top 9 open spot for Perry and I'm sure he's looking for that type of opportunity if he signs for $1M or under

It's funny though... Rewind before March and any Perry talk to the Habs would be laughed at. His value is playoffs. It would be smarter for the Habs to make a move for that type at the deadline

I wouldn't replace Byron by Perry though. I'd prefer a younger player that could bring physicality and at the TDL I would target Marcus Foligno

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I wouldn't replace Byron by Perry though. I'd prefer a younger player that could bring physicality and at the TDL I would target Marcus Foligno

I would do it because it will be only 1 year for Perry and we get rid of the awful Byron's contract

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would do it because it will be only 1 year for Perry and we get rid of the awful Byron's contract

Where are you slotting in Perry? 4th line RW? You moving Toffoli to the Left side? RW's at the moment are Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli, and Armia

Does Perry sign with us knowing he will play 4th line RW? I think he is looking for a better opportunity to be honest. And remember, Regular season Perry vs Playoff Perry. I think it would be smart to make a move for a piece like that at the deadline

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Kings have the lowest actual amount of salaries this year, not the Sens.

* Kings are at $47M of actual salaries
* Habs are 22nd at $66M
* Sens are 29th at $54M

Start with the Kings if you want to move Byron. Kings look like they can use a guy like Byron who can play both wings.
send byron + 2nd pick to LA

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Who is going to want Byron's contract when cap space will be the ultimate currency over the next two years at least?

Habs will have to cough up a hell of lot of incentives for someone to take Byron, IMO. The definition of a toxic contract has widened given so many teams struggling with the cap.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I’m really glad nothing ever happened with Laine. Trading for him would’ve been such a big mistake. He’s a high-end complementary player with a great shot. That’s not someone you break the bank for. Completely different with Aho. Aho drives the play. Would’ve loved to get Aho but it didn’t happen. I find Laine floats a lot. We already have Caufield who’s going to pile on the goals. No need to trade our top prospects for Laine. We did good to stay away.

Reactions: angusyoung

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I’m really glad nothing ever happened with Laine. Trading for him would’ve been such a big mistake. He’s a high-end complementary player with a great shot. That’s not someone you break the bank for. Completely different with Aho. Aho drives the play. Would’ve loved to get Aho but it didn’t happen. I find Laine floats a lot. We already have Caufield who’s going to pile on the goals. No need to trade our top prospects for Laine. We did good to stay away.
Caufield has to prove it on the NHL level, he is small...not saying he cant' but until he does it , he is just a prospect.

many draft pick players look good, until they come up...no sure thing just yet

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Caufield has to prove it on the NHL level, he is small...not saying he cant' but until he does it , he is just a prospect.

many draft pick players look good, until they come up...no sure thing just yet

Exactly. However, nothing wrong with a little cautious optimism.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

That would be worse case price to move. Might not have to add a 2nd. We will see what it takes for Tampa to move Johnson but he has a NTC and he drives the boat on where he is traded to.

Even with injured seasons (56 games and then 29)... Byron has a prorated level of production of 40 pts and 18 goals over 82 games Pretty sure that is decent for $3.4M AAV.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
That would be worse case price to move. Might not have to add a 2nd. We will see what it takes for Tampa to move Johnson but he has a NTC and he drives the boat on where he is traded to.

Even with injured seasons (56 games and then 29)... Byron has a prorated level of production of 40 pts and 18 goals over 82 games Pretty sure that is decent for $3.4M AAV.

Montreal has so many picks (they can never sign them all over the next few years) I wouldn't care if they had to pay a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round pick to get rid of Byron's contract.

It all depends who you can keep -- or add -- by moving that contract.

Reactions: angusyoung

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal has so many picks (they can never sign them all over the next few years) I wouldn't care if they had to pay a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round pick to get rid of Byron's contract.

It all depends who you can keep -- or add -- by moving that contract.

I don't think we will have to pay that much to get rid of Byron. Hard to say exactly with the cap space issues. Adding a 2nd gets it done easily IMO.

However, I'm not a massive Byron fan but I do believe he might have a rebound year if he is healthy. How bad do we need cap space? I think we are done making moves to be honest. At least until a month into the season. I can see us trying to make moves at the deadline though

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I don't think we will have to pay that much to get rid of Byron. Hard to say exactly with the cap space issues. Adding a 2nd gets it done easily IMO.

However, I'm not a massive Byron fan but I do believe he might have a rebound year if he is healthy. How bad do we need cap space? I think we are done making moves to be honest. At least until a month into the season. I can see us trying to make moves at the deadline though
agreed,

a 2nd should move him, he had done his time here, it is over...let's move on

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
agreed,

a 2nd should move him, he had done his time here, it is over...let's move on

Moving Byron seems reasonable due to our cap issues. But I'm never going to count him down. When healthy, he is a great middle 6 or bottom 6 piece. He's made a career proving doubters wrong and he's not dumb... he has seen the moves we have made and how this might affect him. He's going to show up to camp early and he will be ready to go (if not traded)!

Every single year, there is someone that rises and someone that falls. Byron is my candidate to have a bump up in production this year if he is healthy. Lehkonen and Armia need to be ready for Byron to leap frog ahead of them. And to some degree... Drouin too!

The faster skaters are going to dominate the first month until the big boys get their legs back. I'm open to moving Byron but if we have to add a 2nd, I'm in no hurry to do so

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Moving Byron seems reasonable due to our cap issues. But I'm never going to count him down. When healthy, he is a great middle 6 or bottom 6 piece. He's made a career proving doubters wrong and he's not dumb... he has seen the moves we have made and how this might affect him. He's going to show up to camp early and he will be ready to go (if not traded)!

Every single year, there is someone that rises and someone that falls. Byron is my candidate to have a bump up in production this year if he is healthy. Lehkonen and Armia need to be ready for Byron to leap frog ahead of them. And to some degree... Drouin too!

The faster skaters are going to dominate the first month until the big boys get their legs back. I'm open to moving Byron but if we have to add a 2nd, I'm in no hurry to do so
good point, but they need cap space.. thus the move maybe

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
good point, but they need cap space.. thus the move maybe

We can go with a 22 man roster and we are under the cap (1 extra F and one extra D). Very tight but under the cap. And there is talk about having taxi squads due to Covid so not sure how they manage waivers in that case. Teams like the Canucks, Oilers, and Flames have AHL teams in the states. If they allow them to have a taxi squad of reserves, that may be not against the cap but probably have to clear waivers? Not sure how they managed that.

I'm with you on moving Byron but not desperate to move him. Especially if it takes a 2nd. It might be of more value to look at moving Armia due to our RW depth. I'm curious to see what kind of season Armia has cause his minutes will be affected. Rather not move Armia cause we need his size and shot but we will see. As fans we all seem to agree Byron needs to go but not so sure management thinks that way

I'd move Weal and add a 3rd if we have to. Something I bet Bergevin looks to do first. He's got one year left at $1.3M. We can't afford to have him as the 13th forward cause of his cap and in the AHL, he still takes up $300k of cap space. Unload Weal and sign Kovalchuk for $700k. Not attractive and not sure if Kovy will want to watch games but he has limited options. If buys like Byron, Lehkonen, Armia don't show up or we have injuries, Kovy is a good guy to have in the system

That's what I feel Bergevin will look to do before the season starts.

Last edited:

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
What?

No way in hell we lose a very valuable 2nd round pick for a player who's decent, and not that expensive.

The tighter we get to the cap, the more opportunities our prospects like Ylonen, Romanov, Norlinder, Tuck and Struble will get to round-up our line-up. You don't give up a 2nd round pick unless you're getting a solid addition back.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm calling it now... This is what Bergevin tries to do before the season starts. Weal with actual salary of $1.5M is not that easy to move even if he has one year left.

Weal and a 3rd
for
Future considerations

Kovalchuk or Perry signed for $800k

Some will say we don't need to add a 3rd to unload Weal but I disagree in this flat cap due to Covid season. I doubt we try to move Byron before we try to move Weal.

Last edited:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
What?

No way in hell we lose a very valuable 2nd round pick for a player who's decent, and not that expensive.

The tighter we get to the cap, the more opportunities our prospects like Ylonen, Romanov, Norlinder, Tuck and Struble will get to round-up our line-up. You don't give up a 2nd round pick unless you're getting a solid addition back.
Bryon time is done here, need to get a young guy in , no one will take Bryon unless we add a pick....

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I'm calling it now... This is what Bergevin tries to do before the season starts. Weal with actual salary of $1.5M is not that easy to move even if he has one year left.

- Weal and a 3rd
for
- Future considerations

Some will say we don't need to add a 3rd to unload Weal but I disagree in this flat cap due to Covid season. I doubt we try to move Byron before we try to move Weal.
i agree with you, to move a guy out will cost a pick..

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
i agree with you, to move a guy out will cost a pick..

Some cheap owners will say screw the 3rd and I'll keep my $1.5M.

I do feel that we will try to move Weal if we want to create some more space. With Weal moved, I'd use the cap on Kovalchuk or Perry on a $800k deal. First person to accept gets the contract. I'd even ask Molson to pay it all as signing bonus up front. Would Kovalchuk or Perry want to join our team as a possible 13th forward? Not sure and my message to them would be you are in competition with Lehkonen, Armia, Byron for spots in the line-up

Making these moves leave us with a 22 man roster with $200k of space. That's better than Weal in the AHL and Belzile as the 13th forward where we are left with $43k of cap space

According to my calculations, there is no room for Weal as the 13th forward. If we have one extra D and one extra F (Weal and Mete), we are over the cap

Last edited:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Some cheap owners will say screw the 3rd and I'll keep my $1.5M.

I do feel that we will try to move Weal if we want to create some more space. With Weal moved, I'd use the cap on Kovalchuk or Perry on a $800k deal. First person to accept gets the contract. I'd even ask Molson to pay it all as signing bonus up front. Would Kovalchuk or Perry want to join our team as a possible 13th forward? Not sure and my message to them would be you are in competition with Lehkonen, Armia, Byron for spots in the line-up

Making these moves leave us with a 22 man roster with $200k of space. That's better than Weal in the AHL and Belzile as the 13th forward where we are left with $43k of cap space
I feel MB will dump a salary, he has too. I think

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I feel MB will dump a salary, he has too. I think

According to my calculations, there is no room for Weal as the 13th forward. If we have one extra D and one extra F (Weal and Mete), we are over the cap. If we make no more moves, Weal has to go to AHL and we make Belzile the 13th forward. In that case, we have around $43K of cap space. Way to tight. Do the Habs run with a 21 man roster? Doubt that

Moving Byron is for another day because the cost might be too high right now to move salary like that. Move Weal and sign one of Kovalchuk or Perry (around $800k). That leaves us with 22 man roster and around $200k of space

Mr Pollock... I'll be your assistant GM any day! Crunch the numbers for you while you weal and deal on the moves ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The good news is our AHL team is in Laval and just down the road. Covid is going to test teams depth and movement of players due to injuries and positive cases. Habs are in a good spot with that.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Weal and a 3rd
for
Future considerations

Why surrender an asset/draft pick? Why not simply send Weal to AHL and get cap relief?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad