Not open for further replies.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
"Hello, Mr. Melnyk, it's Pierre. No, Dorion."

"What can I do for you Pierre?"

"Well sir, we have an opportunity to acquire Jack Eichel."

"You do? Let's take a look at your 121 page plan for five years of unparalleled success."

*Flips through binder*

"Hmm, Pierre, I dont see anything about trading for Jack Eichel. Which page is it on?"

"No page sir, but you see..."

"We stick to the plan Pierre."

"About that sir, you said we would be spending to the cap this year."

"Sorry Pierre, going through a tunnel *crrssscccrrr* "

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
"Hello, Mr. Melnyk, it's Pierre. No, Dorion."

"What can I do for you Pierre?"

"Well sir, we have an opportunity to acquire Jack Eichel."

"You do? Let's take a look at your 121 page plan for five years of unparalleled success."

*Flips through binder*

"Hmm, Pierre, I dont see anything about trading for Jack Eichel. Which page is it on?"

"No page sir, but you see..."

"We stick to the plan Pierre."

"About that sir, you said we would be spending to the cap this year."

"Sorry Pierre, going through a tunnel *crrssscccrrr* "

Misquote - the plan “plans” to be spending “near” the cap.

I’d assume somewhere in the 120+ pages there are revenue and attendance projections that support spending “near” the cap.

It’s foolish to think this team is spending “to the cap” coming of league LOW attendance and likely league low revenue.

Reactions: Cosmix

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

I’d assume somewhere in the 120+ pages there are revenue and attendance projections that support spending “near” the cap.

It’s foolish to think this team is spending “to the cap” coming of league LOW attendance and likely league low revenue.

And continuing to spend just enough to reach the floor surely will bring back confidence in ownership and up revenue. Surely.

Reactions: Rodzilla

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Kessel has a NTC. Seriously doubt he would waive to come here.

That's certainly possible.

But a guy like him knows what his future is in Arizona. And that is going through the motions until his contract is done.

At least here has has the chance to play meaningful games. But hey maybe he really does like the golf down there.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

If that were part of the conditions, it should have been communicated as such, but it wasn't. Were the 120+ pages released publicly for this to be made known?

Last season was the first with much reason to tune in with some youth beyond Chabot and Tkachuk on the team, and that was one where nobody was allowed to attend either way. It would have been foolish to expect decent attendance during scorched earth rebuilding years watching a team of washed up stop gap veterans and premature talent rushed in getting spanked, even ignoring other factors that led to the lack of attendance. If, as you insinuate, the plan was entirely conditional on fans coming in droves to watch the absolute dogshit product out on the ice the last 3 seasons, then it was never happening anyways.

Considering the state of where things were at with the fanbase and media relationships, that would have been purposely disingenuous of Melnyk to predicate the spending on that.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
And continuing to spend just enough to reach the floor surely will bring back confidence in ownership and up revenue. Surely.

Spending already projects to be higher, team is improving … time for ticket sales to follow to fuel further increased spending.

Help our team out … buy a couple tickets.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If that were part of the conditions, it should have been communicated as such, but it wasn't. Were the 120+ pages released publicly for this to be made known?

Last season was the first with much reason to tune in with some youth beyond Chabot and Tkachuk on the team, and that was one where nobody was allowed to attend either way. It would have been foolish to expect decent attendance during scorched earth rebuilding years watching a team of washed up stop gap veterans and premature talent rushed in getting spanked, even ignoring other factors that led to the lack of attendance. If, as you insinuate, the plan was entirely conditional on fans coming in droves to watch the absolute dogshit product out on the ice the last 3 seasons, then it was never happening anyways.

Considering the state of where things were at with the fanbase and media relationships, that would have been purposely disingenuous of Melnyk to predicate the spending on that.

Not sure - I just know the quote says “the plan is to spend near the cap” … I think fans are mistaken if they don’t think there are conditions in place to support that.there is nothing wrong with the Sens planing on improving the on ice product and “planning” for an increase in revenue to support paying for the increase costs as the team matures.

The worst fans in the league don’t get upper 3rd payrolls … accept for those few special owners out there.

GoMyTeam

Aug 20, 2017
Sign Bozak for cheap center depth and use the friendship to get Kessel to waive.

Tierney, Jarventie, TBL 2nd For Kessel

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-Pinto-C.Brown
Paul-L.Brown-Kessel
Formenton-White-Watson
Chabot-Zaitsev
Brännström-Zub
MDZ-Holden
Murray
Forsberg
Extras: Bozak, Mete, J.Brown

Doesn't fix the center hole, but that's a solid top 9 that can all be the 1st line depending on who's hot. If Logan Brown can't succeed on that line than we can give up on him and add someone midseason.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I wonder how many teams won’t trade for Eichel because their medical staff agrees that the player’s preferred surgery is too risky.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not sure - I just know the quote says “the plan is to spend near the cap” … I think fans are mistaken if they don’t think there are conditions in place to support that.there is nothing wrong with the Sens planing on improving the on ice product and “planning” for an increase in revenue to support paying for the increase costs as the team matures.

The worst fans in the league don’t get upper 3rd payrolls … accept for those few special owners out there.
That would have been an absurd expectation, like literally insane. You are basically saying that revenues needed to increase higher than they've ever been, during scorched earth rebuild seasons coming off major fan/owner/media disputes, before the spending promise is followed through on, in order for FYOUS spending to happen.

If it were all predicated on having revenues support it before it happened, it was never ever going to be possible, full stop. You know it, I know it, Melnyk knows it. No team is increasing or even sustaining revenue as they enter and go through a slow, full on rebuild like that.

If that was the case all along, beyond not understanding why that wouldn't have been communicated, I don't really get what he was promising then? If fans were solely responsible for funding it, then he's not doing anything himself and doesn't really need to be making any spending "promises".

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
Zibby is elite.

He is, over a ppg the last 3 seasons combined, and that included starting last year after covid.

He is 2 points over a ppg for the three years, whereas Eichel is 12 points over a ppg for 3 seasons, no surgery pending, no attitude, and he completely dominated many games in recent years.

This is the guy to get. I got back in on season tix for the coming season, but if we haven't added a center like Zibby by next season, or make any trade for the sake of saving money versus getting needed talent, I am back out again, Euge. Hopefully many others have this frame of mind and will make that clear in the team surveys.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
He is, over a ppg the last 3 seasons combined, and that included starting last year after covid.

He is 2 points over a ppg for the three years, whereas Eichel is 12 points over a ppg for 3 seasons, no surgery pending, no attitude, and he completely dominated many games in recent years.

This is the guy to get. I got back in on season tix for the coming season, but if we haven't added a center like Zibby by next season, or make any trade for the sake of saving money versus getting needed talent, I am back out again, Euge. Hopefully many others have this frame of mind and will make that clear in the team surveys.

Well said. :clap:

Edit: Bringing Zibby back would fix one of Dorion's biggest mistakes as well as any issues in the top-6. He loved it in Ottawa and while he's costly, this is the guy you want to spend money on.

Stutzle-Zibby-Batherson
Tkachuk-Norris-Brown
Paul-Pinto-White
Formenton-L.Brown-Watson

Ideally we'd add a top-6 winger to push a few players down, but with that quality and depth at center, we'd certainly be competitive for years to come.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad