Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why are so many people against Monahan? He’s 26 and his stats looks pretty good.

He has offensive skill and can score

Production declining.
Soft
Inconsistent effort
6+ million for 2 years to UFA
Cost to acquire would be substantial (I would guess).. << this would be a big key ; no problem with adding him but only at the right price to us, which would be too low for the flames I suspect
Coming off Hip surgery .

Reactions: Bileur

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
People have this weird hate-on for Monahan on this board and Calgary fans are surprisingly willing to dump him.

1. The guy has been a #1 center for 8 years and they've made the playoffs 4 times in that span.
2. He has great giveaway/turnover numbers, especially for a guy who plays so many minutes.
3. He's good on faceoffs.
4. Not physical, but he's also come around to "average" over the last two years.
5. He's a consistently good shooter, career 15%,
6. His even strength scoring is very good. Even his worse scoring years are basically what we got from Norris last season. Further, his "peak ears" 5v5 have hit areas that even Eichel's hasn't hit yet.
7. He's effective on the powerplay which we don't have otherwise.
8. He's only got a 6M salary so we can actually afford him.
9. He's only signed for two years.

Unfortunately,

1. He's played through a lot of injuries which affected his production some years. Some of those injuries may have permanent effects on his play.
2. His usage, deployment, and injuries had affected his points which is mostly what people look at rather than underlying numbers.
3. His Corsi numbers are ho-hum given his usage.
4. He's had good line-mates which might have juiced his numbers.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He has offensive skill and can score

Production declining.
Soft
Inconsistent effort
6+ million for 2 years to UFA
Cost to acquire would be substantial (I would guess).. << this would be a big key ; no problem with adding him but only at the right price to us, which would be too low for the flames I suspect
Coming off Hip surgery .
If we aren’t going for a defacto number 1 like eichel this is what we are left with guys like monahan strome and zibby. Guys who can produce but have some red flags hence why they aren’t elite

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
No to Tatar just cause he wears white skates.

As for Eichel can people listen to the doctor’s interview please. We’re not getting him, we all absolutely know why, but we should, cause this core isnt contending. We’re not a Boucher and Kleven away from contending as some may think

Reactions: Cosmix and HSF

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I know this is the trade thread, but I feel like throwing a wet blanket over this party and suggest that we make another minor move or no move at all this season. Go with what we have right now and maybe add a peice mid season depending on how the season plays out at the start.

Give the guys we have a chance:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle- Pinto- C. Brown

I am fine with that top 6 to start.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
No to Tatar just cause he wears white skates.

As for Eichel can people listen to the doctor’s interview please. We’re not getting him, we all absolutely know why, but we should, cause this core isnt contending. We’re not a Boucher and Kleven away from contending as some may think
Ppl are under the illusion that finishing strong with no pressure last year in a weak division means we are going to be battling for a playoff spot.
So far this offseason the roster has gotten worse by losing Dadanov who hasn’t been replaced by a better player. Holden and MDZ don’t move the needle

Right now we are contending for a 5-10 overall pick. We probably aren’t bad enough for a Shane wright but no where near good enough to sniff the post season

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If we aren’t going for a defacto number 1 like eichel this is what we are left with guys like monahan strome and zibby. Guys who can produce but have some red flags hence why they aren’t elite
I am immune to this kind of pressure lol

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What kinda pressure ?
jk
I gathered you are advocating for Monahan. .. I just don't want to give up good young players or prospects or 1st round picks for a C that has flags and are soon to be UFAs. We need a 1C at the moment. I just would not pay up to get one that is not one you really want.

IMO we can take our time, add a good tweener player (C/RW) that brings it every game, fits the group, and keep developing and growing as a team ..If/when we look like we can make some noise .. I would add someone like a Monahan or a Strome not necessarily them to give us that extra push.

Reactions: Dionysus

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Calgary can’t afford to give away assets - their Competitive Window is hanging by threads … the price won’t be cheap.

They don’t have a competitive window, they didn’t even make the playoffs. They have to re-tool their team. But yeah, I’m not sure how keen they are on trading Monahan

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This seems like the opposite of the Boedker logic, scored a Hatrick against us so he must be good...

The biggest knock I've seen against Monahan is that his production is seen as linked to Gaudreau and he appears to be declining.

Personally I feel like the ask would probably be too much for what I see as a stopgap solution
Didn't he have injuries too?

You have a guy on a fast decline production-wise who's had injury trouble.

"Breaking down Sean Monahan’s history of playing through injuries – The Win Column" Breaking down Sean Monahan’s history of playing through injuries

Is he costing like the expensive likely 50 point player he is (like a 2nd or 3rd) or he costing like the 80 point player he's unlikely to ever be again?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Kessel trade request.

What's interesting is almost all of his salary was already paid via bonus. Only 850K I believe remains to be paid to him.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

Kessel trade request.

What's interesting is almost all of his salary was already paid via bonus. Only 850K I believe remains to be paid to him.

Kessel + Dvorak vs Brannstrom + Tierney + Tampa 2rnd

Reactions: DrEasy

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Kessel isn't coming back to Canada. He just wants to eat hot dogs in peace.

Reactions: BigRig4

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
You're on to something, lad.

Still wouldn't want to rid of Brannstrom for a temporary but that's a great value deal; would rather hold onto Brannstrom for a big core piece moving forward, or he becomes that piece himself.
Dvorak sign for 4 years

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Dvorak sign for 4 years

I agree, and he could become a bigger piece for us than what he's been in Arizona, his numbers and responsibility steadily increasing. But I expect Brannstrom to take big step in his own development and say a much bigger C piece is available next off-season, Brannstrom would be a compelling trade piece, or transitions over to RD with Sanderson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crosside

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
People have this weird hate-on for Monahan on this board and Calgary fans are surprisingly willing to dump him.

1. The guy has been a #1 center for 8 years and they've made the playoffs 4 times in that span.
2. He has great giveaway/turnover numbers, especially for a guy who plays so many minutes.
3. He's good on faceoffs.
4. Not physical, but he's also come around to "average" over the last two years.
5. He's a consistently good shooter, career 15%,
6. His even strength scoring is very good. Even his worse scoring years are basically what we got from Norris last season. Further, his "peak ears" 5v5 have hit areas that even Eichel's hasn't hit yet.
7. He's effective on the powerplay which we don't have otherwise.
8. He's only got a 6M salary so we can actually afford him.
9. He's only signed for two years.

Unfortunately,

1. He's played through a lot of injuries which affected his production some years. Some of those injuries may have permanent effects on his play.
2. His usage, deployment, and injuries had affected his points which is mostly what people look at rather than underlying numbers.
3. His Corsi numbers are ho-hum given his usage.
4. He's had good line-mates which might have juiced his numbers.

I think he’d look good with Jimmy, and if he can’t take being a center anymore maybe he can do faceoffs and Stutzle plays center. Good playmaker/shooter combination similar to when he played with Gaudreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad