Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If the team is where we expect them to be in two years, there should be no worry that Zub will want to extend and start making noise in the playoffs. If he’s surpassed by Tompson and or JBD that is fantastic news.

This team is on the upswing, it’s going to become an increasingly positive situation to play and stay in.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Made it sound like Zub is a stop gap until future top 4 defensemen JBD and Thomson are ready.

I hope they realize in 2 years that Thomson isn't the D they thought he was when they drafted him 19th OVR and don't let a good top 4 D walk to make room for him.

The Zub comments sounded to me like they were saying it gave them the flexibility to give the spot to a kid if they were ready or re-commit to Zub at that time. From a projection of your team perspective, I think it's the right call, or at least a perfectly defensible one. Whether they make the right decision when Zub is up for renewal is a completely separate issue and a lot depends on JBD and Thomson's development. Way too early to worry about it imo.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Made it sound like Zub is a stop gap until future top 4 defensemen JBD and Thomson are ready.

I hope they realize in 2 years that Thomson isn't the D they thought he was when they drafted him 19th OVR and don't let a good top 4 D walk to make room for him.

Am I completely crazy for wanting to have Zaitsev on my 3rd pairing RD (with some PK) as a stop gap until Lassi Thomson is ready for that role (with 2nd PP TOI)?

XXXXXX
Zub
Zaitsev

then

XXXXXX/JBD
Zub/JBD
Thomson/other

We have a gap at 2LD but it’s pretty clear we have our top 4 for 22/23 set.

We'll be fine on LD with Chabot and Sanderson. LD, LW and G are 3 positions I am not worrying about at all. As of now, it's the 3 positional organizational strengths

But what do you mean our top 4 will be set for 22/23? Who's going to be on RD?

Last edited:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Brannstrom for Henrique is the deal to make.

tenor.gif

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
its actually real easy to imagine this. young players who haven't played in the league full time easily take steps back before moving forward. Look at White.

White wasn't doing anything to drive any plays though. He just looked to compliment stone alright. Kind of like greening with Spezza.

The guys who latch onto a better player are the ones to be more worried about.

Pinto didn't look good because he was tied to a star. He looked good because he was good at hockey and made the right plays and showed speed and aggression and skill.

You can usually tell the difference between guys like Norris or Tkachuk and guys like greening or white. Maybe I'm crazy but I think I see the difference. The former guys are guys who after 20 or so games, no one was worried about them taking big steps back and having to go down to the AHL.

I see pinto as having a very high floor...like from here on out. Have a hard time seeing him be worse than a 3rd liner from here on out.

If he gets AHL time, I think it's momentarily to get him top line minutes and not because his play doesn't belong in the NHL.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The comments made after the Zub extension make me anxious... Didn't he say that Zaitsev is "elite"? That with JBD and Thomson coming, our RD will be really strong so that's why it wasn't needed to commit to Zub longer than 2 years?
Yes, I also have doubts about Thomson becoming a top 4 d-man. He really hasn't shown much improvement since getting drafted.

Betting on prospects to replace established players has burned this team so many times. I would have liked at least 3 years from Zub.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Or completely cave his value.

He finally started to look confident offensively in his rookie season, putting up a 36 point pace. He got 5 points in his last 7 games.

Our D is super weak right now. I don't see how his value doesnt go up when he has a perfect opportunity to rack up points sheltered behind chabot running the second powerplay.

If he improves his pace by 10 points in his second full season, you're looking at a 45 point defenseman. His value would be huge. It's too much of a risk to trade a guy ready to boom in an area of weakness on this team. We don't have any offensive defenseman to step up behind him.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yes, I also have doubts about Thomson becoming a top 4 d-man. He really hasn't shown much improvement since getting drafted.

Betting on prospects to replace established players has burned this team so many times. I would have liked at least 3+ years from Zub.

Troy seems to think that he’s come a long way since drafted. Apparently he’s been making strides with his play with and away from the puck, and was given more responsibility as the season went on. He’s a young kid, and still a project, but….

I hope he’s right because that kids plays with an edge and has that clapper from the back end that we lack.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Does someone have the top 50 prospect list TSN did a couple months ago? Are their any forwards ranked within + or - 5 to 10 spots from brannstrom on the rankings that we can swap for?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Does someone have the top 50 prospect list TSN did a couple months ago? Are their any forwards ranked within + or - 5 to 10 spots from brannstrom on the rankings that we can swap for?
Are you talking about Button's list? Not sure how much faith I'd put in that list wrt determining similar value prospects, based on that we could offer him up for Krebs, Turcotte or Newhook, heck Byfield is only two spots higher, I'm sure LA would make the deal if we threw in a 2nd...

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Turcotte? Kupari?

I feel like what's the point though in terms of Kupari

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Am I completely crazy for wanting to have Zaitsev on my 3rd pairing RD (with some PK) as a stop gap until Lassi Thomson is ready for that role (with 2nd PP TOI)?

XXXXXX
Zub
Zaitsev

then

XXXXXX/JBD
Zub/JBD
Thomson/other

We'll be fine on LD with Chabot and Sanderson. LD, LW and G are 3 positions I am not worrying about at all. As of now, it's the 3 positional organizational strengths

But what do you mean our top 4 will be set for 22/23? Who's going to be on RD?
I know it is far from satisfying for some fans but all of Zaitsev’s coaches along with former Sens D on TSN1200 feel Zaitsev is very good as a top 4 NHL D.

Reactions: aragorn

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The more I think about it, the more frustrated I am of thinking we might trade Brannstrom for a bandaid player.

His value will be significantly higher this time next year. Please do not trade him.

Buchnevic got traded for 2nd + Blais. Every other player documented is lesser than Buch. We should not be trading more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad