Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I know it is far from satisfying for some fans but all of Zaitsev’s coaches along with former Sens D on TSN1200 feel Zaitsev is very good as a top 4 NHL D.

Comrade Zaitsev looked good as a minute eating defenceman last year, markedly improved from the previous season, for a very sucky Sens roster. He may not be the ideal partner for Chabot, but he is effective in a defensive role on any defensive pairing. Good guy in the locker room, loved and respected by his coaches and peers. If he was a $2.5M defenceman, a lot of posters here won't complain. That bit is perplexing to me considering it is Melnyk's money and has no bearing to the Sens cap situation.

Last edited:

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The more I think about it, the more frustrated I am of thinking we might trade Brannstrom for a bandaid player.

His value will be significantly higher this time next year. Please do not trade him.

Buchnevic got traded for 2nd + Blais. Every other player documented is lesser than Buch. We should not be trading more.
Looking at the contract Buch ended up signing with St. Louis, trading for him with a similar package and dumping Dadonov's contract would have been such a good move for this team.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Comrade Zaitsev looked good as a minute eating defenceman last year, markedly improved from the previous season, for a very sucky Sens roster. He may not be the ideal partner for Chabot, but he is effective in a defensive role on any defensive pairing. Good guy in the locker, loved and respected by his coaches and peer. If he was a $2.5M defenceman, a lot of posters here won't complain. That bit is perplexing to me considering it is Melnyk's money and has no bearing to the Sens cap situation.
He was pretty solid last year and certainly wouldn't be the first guy that ought to be moved to make room in the budget.

Its Ottawa Senators fan syndrome from dollar in dollar out requirements and know there will be holes somewhere one way or another.

Cap hits are irrelevant, but every actual dollar spent on X means 1 dollar less to spend on Y or Z, so if you're a Senators fan speculating about wanting to bring in someone else for the roster, you're also having to think about where those dollars are coming from and who needs to go to make room, even if you otherwise wouldn't move said player.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Does someone have the top 50 prospect list TSN did a couple months ago? Are their any forwards ranked within + or - 5 to 10 spots from brannstrom on the rankings that we can swap for?

IIRC, a Kings fan suggested Brannstrom for Vilardi (same age, same draft, couple of picks apart). Defenseman for a center. They of course have: Kopitar, Byfield and now Danault.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Zaitsev is fine where he is for another yr, I assume that Zub & him will eventually trade places, maybe the following season. But Ottawa needs to draft a top 2 RD this draft & there could be a few available if they fall to them or they will need to move up to get their guy. Ottawa also has a few guys they can use as trade bait in Brannstrom, Thomson, White, Tierny, Sogaard & maybe even Nick Paul who is a UFA to improve a position.

Reactions: Cosmix

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
It absolutely isn't, and I like Henrique.

You don't trade a 21 yr old who still has high potential to be a top-4 D, for a 31 yr old vet who would only be here a few years to help mentor the kids.

Ugh.
Guys, can't you see the sarcasm font he used?

Oh wait, he forgot the /s.

/s.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
IIRC, a Kings fan suggested Brannstrom for Vilardi (same age, same draft, couple of picks apart). Defenseman for a center. They of course have: Kopitar, Byfield and now Danault.

Thing with Vilardi is that he's probably better suited to RW anyway, so I don't think they'd trade him just for positional reasons.

Plus they already have a full D:

Edler - Doughty
Anderson - Roy
Maatta - Walker
Bjornfot, Wolanin

As much as I would like it to happen, I don't see Brannstrom going to LA in exchange for Vilardi.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I know it is far from satisfying for some fans but all of Zaitsev’s coaches along with former Sens D on TSN1200 feel Zaitsev is very good as a top 4 NHL D.

Nothing against Zaitsev, I think he's a pretty competent NHL player that is not even overpaid that much

But the important thing to take in consideration here is that my goal is to build a strong contender. That's why Zaitsev isn't in my future top-4, and Lassi Thomson is not as well (unless he suddenly develops in a surprising manner)

They're the type of guys that will be fine if they have 3-4 guys significantly better playing in front of them on the depht chart (sort of like Cody Ceci). These guys need better players to "take the heat". I believe Zaitsev can be a really good support player but you shouldn't expect more.

I.E a great #4-5 D-man or a below average top-4 D-man. If Z is our 5th (or even 4th) best D-man, then we're starting to talk seriously. He was our 2nd best and the team struggled mightily, until Zub came in and became the 2nd best D-man, which made the team quite better.

Yes, I also have doubts about Thomson becoming a top 4 d-man. He really hasn't shown much improvement since getting drafted.

Betting on prospects to replace established players has burned this team so many times. I would have liked at least 3 years from Zub.

3 years wouldn't have moved the needle much. Either commit 5-6 years or do like they did and use him as a stop gap with the hope that you'll be able to retain him at a reasonable price (unlikely if he progresses even more). Or maybe we're lucky and he doesn't like money that much

Regarding Thomson, it's almost like we should have drafted Pinto at 19th and Thomson 32nd lol. I think he'll end up playing in the NHL but the question is for how long? And how good he'll be? As of now, an't see him better than a 3rd pairing D-man, which could be fine if used wisely to exploit his strengths (sort of like that season with Tom Preissing)

Anyone see that Domi rumour

What is it? Always funny read

I don't think he's a center but if he comes to Ottawa

Tkachuk-Norris-Brown
Stutzle-Domi-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-White
Paul-Tierney-Watson

I'd seriously rather take my chances on Logan Brown. If he doesn't work out, Pinto plays with Stutzle/Batherson

Last edited:
Reactions: 6stringmofo

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
My guess is Dvorak ends up in Ottawa.

ARZ needs more D, may be interested in Brannstrom and probably would be fine taking on Tierney, which you just know if a must in any Sens deal involving adding another forward with similar salary.

Tierney, Brannstrom, 2nd for Dvorak.

Maybe a package deal with Kessel included if he agrees to waive.

ottawa gets ripped hard here imo

I don't know the market for Tierney, or how much a return we'd get for him if he was traded. But, I do wonder if he wasn't shopped last year at the deadline. Would it be very hard to replace him if he was moved, and if not, would it not seem logical that they were shopping Tierney last year?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The teams that don't have a full D and could potentially use a LD:

Yotes
Islanders
Sharks
Flames*
Blues**

*if they move Zadorov to RD and Sutter the size queen actually agrees to play a 5'9 D
**if they don't have big confidence in Mikkola and Walman, as they already have 4 LD on one-way deals

It's not a huge list.

If you consider there may be a glut of LD available from Seattle and possibly a few other teams, the coveting of defensemen with size after the playoffs, and Brannstrom having yet to prove himself, I can't think of a worse time to get great value for him.

Unless the Sens think he's going to suck this year and tank his value, we should absolutely be holding onto him.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

That would definitely be one of the few trades involving Brannstrom I'd be happy with.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't know the market for Tierney, or how much a return we'd get for him if he was traded. But, I do wonder if he wasn't shopped last year at the deadline. Would it be very hard to replace him if he was moved, and if not, would it not seem logical that they were shopping Tierney last year?

Last yr Tierny had another yr left on his contract, this yr he is a UFA & would be a rental for any team wanting some vet depth in their lineup. It's what most teams want at the TDL, guys with no term left on their contracts so they are not stuck with them if they don't turn out. If they do, they can just re-sign them.

IMO Ottawa can easily replace Tierny with White, Paul, L. Brown or even Kastelic who is getting close to being NHL ready for a 4th line role. In another yr or two I expect that Ostapchuk C should be in the AHL & hopefully developing into an NHL player too.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I would make that deal. A 6' 3" highly skilled two way centre ; exactly what the Sens could use.

Also Vilardi is a Kingston boy.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
TSN1200 really working hard to make Brannstrom look expendable today. As if MDZ and Holden are in any way above him in the depth chart as is. Contracts don't mean shit unless they actually outplay him.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I would make that deal. A 6' 3" highly skilled two way centre ; exactly what the Sens could use.

Also Vilardi is a Kingston boy.

He’s tall enough to play for DJ … I think Ottawa needs to add a bit but they should. I like Brann but it’s trading for a position of need from a position of strength (prospect D).

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Brannstrom is expandable because of Sanderson, nobody else.

The long term future of Brann on Ottawa is a bottom pairing dman.

Trading him now is just getting an early start to that - and to fill holes up front. I know Sanderson isn't here yet but maybe Brannstrom value is still decent right now

Reactions: Yak and gab6511

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Was still a really bad trade. Hossa is a hall of famer.

It’s odd to call it a bad trade. Heatley scored 50 goals twice, and had 180 goals in 4 seasons here. I don’t like what Muckler did to Hossa. Dick move, but that has nothing to do with Heatley. Not to mention, Heatley could play LW, and Hossa could not. That helped us put together the best line we’ve ever had.

It’s strange to call it a bad trade. It’s not like Heatley didn’t help us. He was one of the best goal scorers in the league during his time here.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
TSN1200 really working hard to make Brannstrom look expendable today. As if MDZ and Holden are in any way above him in the depth chart as is. Contracts don't mean shit unless they actually outplay him.

It's happening.

They've already got their marching orders from management.

Bunch of shills.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Brannstrom is expandable because of Sanderson, nobody else.

The long term future of Brann on Ottawa is a bottom pairing dman.

Trading him now is just getting an early start to that - and to fill holes up front. I know Sanderson isn't here yet but maybe Brannstrom value is still decent right now

Imagine having a 2nd pairing quality defenseman playing on the 3rd pairing.

The horror. We'd probably have to pay him 2nd pairing money too.

Better get out in front of it and make sure only bad but cheap defenseman play on our bottom pairing.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
We really went from needing a stable RD partner for Chabot and a top center to bringing in more bottom pairing LD and trading Barnnstorm for Strome

what a joke .

'OMGZZ we cant have two short players on defense!!!!' okay then don't pickup Mete on waivers? Maybe trade him ?

This team just throws darts to a board and hope somethings hits

Ummm…..we never trade Brannstrom for Strome. Why are you upset about things that haven’t happened?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
So the forwards 5 spots up or down are:

Kaliyev
Kravtsov
Byfield
Robertson
Krebs
Turcotte
Danisenko

Any chance we can do one of those? If we can't get that value, then might aswell keep him instead of losing value for no reason. We don't NEED to trade him.
Heck, Rossi is 12 spots down! I'd trade Brannstrom for Rossi with no hesitation. I don't think these rankings make much sense.

Now how about Brannstrom for Bouchard? RD for LD swap, same age, win-win? Doesn't help our team right away, but Bouchard could be a good pairing for Sanderson down the road.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The media in Ottawa offer no accountability to Dorion whatsoever. When was the last time they were willing to say management did a bad job and should be fired. The just play nice because theyre hoping to have him on the show.

The just give an never ending litany of excuses. Payroll, ownership, players not willing to play here, etc.. They even provide cover for terrible decisions that looked back even when they were made (Zibeanjed, Duchene, etc..).

Zero accountability.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The media in Ottawa offer no accountability to Dorion whatsoever. When was the last time they were willing to say management did a bad job and should be fired. The just play nice because theyre hoping to have him on the show.

The just give an never ending litany of excuses. Payroll, ownership, players not willing to play here, etc.. They even provide cover for terrible decisions that looked back even when they were made (Zibeanjed, Duchene, etc..).

Zero accountability.
They have been strong armed by Melnyk over and over again. "I will bury you", "Bush league reporter", plane charter's revoked, no interview access for long periods of time, etc. etc. Team 1200 is also affiliated with their biggest financial contributor in TSN.

It's a bad look, but they have no choice but to play nice and pander or have their access revoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad