Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The media in Ottawa offer no accountability to Dorion whatsoever. When was the last time they were willing to say management did a bad job and should be fired. The just play nice because theyre hoping to have him on the show.

The just give an never ending litany of excuses. Payroll, ownership, players not willing to play here, etc.. They even provide cover for terrible decisions that looked back even when they were made (Zibeanjed, Duchene, etc..).

Zero accountability.

I know what you mean, but it’s hardly surprising. They want to maintain a good relationship with the team, so people like Dorion will come on. I’d like to hear them tell us how they really feel, but you can’t bite the hand that feeds you.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
They don't bite the hand that feeds.

It's the kind of media environment you see in dysfunctional dictatorships where any objective coverage would point out the consistent and repeated failure of the administration, so anyone that isn't a slobbering rabid crony gets muzzled.

Organizations that aren't a complete mess from top to bottom don't feel the need to control the media to protect themselves.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

It's the kind of media environment you see in dysfunctional dictatorships where any objective coverage would point out the consistent and repeated failure of the administration, so anyone that isn't a slobbering rabid crony gets muzzled.

Organizations that aren't a complete mess from top to bottom don't feel the need to control the media to protect themselves.
Maybe not TSN1200 specifically, but there's a precedent of criticism in the past being met with consequences. They get kicked off planes, threatened that they'll be buried, and/or insulted publicly.

It's lame and a pathetic method of control, but it's worked.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Maybe not TSN1200 specifically, but there's a precedent of criticism in the past being met with consequences. They get kicked off planes, threatened that they'll be buried, and/or insulted publicly.

It's lame and a pathetic method of control, but it's worked.

Don't teams have to have players speak to the media? Like it's a contractual requirement in the CBA.

You can't just say "no. We aren't talking to the media" without facing fines.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Don't teams have to have players speak to the media? Like it's a contractual requirement in the CBA.

I honestly couldn't say what the technical obligations are, but there was a long period of radio silence while the media was most critical through the scorched earth years and numerous hosts, Mendes included, had talked about not being granted interviews when requested.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I honestly couldn't say what the technical obligations are, but there was a long period of radio silence while the media was most critical through the scorched earth years and numerous hosts, Mendes included, had talked about not being granted interviews when requested.

A couple episodes ago on the Wally and Methot show, Pierre Maguire had a story of when torterella didn't wanna talk to him and Pierre said something along the lines of "you have to talk to me. You can't just say no" and then torts realized he has to and came back to answer questions. A few other times Methot has implied that some players hate answering questions but realize it's a contractual obligation.

I also don't know the rules but I'm fairly certain you can't just duck all media.

Reactions: DrEasy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Pretty sure players and coaches have to talk to reporters, but Sens management certainly doesn't need to.

At the very least they can pick and choose who to release information and give scoops to.

Garrioch toes the party line and because of that he's the mouthpiece for the organization and gets all the rumours/info, but if he started questioning decisions or writing critical pieces his scoops would go elsewhere real quick.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
A couple episodes ago on the Wally and Methot show, Pierre Maguire had a story of when torterella didn't wanna talk to him and Pierre said something along the lines of "you have to talk to me. You can't just say no" and then torts realized he has to and came back to answer questions. A few other times Methot has implied that some players hate answering questions but realize it's a contractual obligation.

I also don't know the rules but I'm fairly certain you can't just duck all media.
Interesting tidbit there for sure, but I'd be interested to know the rules and how strictly enforced they are for anyone but coaches and players.

It is also probably against some sort of rule to threaten reporters, but maybe not for the owner.

When the team was burned to the ground, there was a lot of "negative" coverage from the media outlets for a long period of time, including personal transgressions of Melnyk getting front page coverage and the team basically went in to a shell from then on.

Last edited:

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I find it ironic that here we sit claiming the TSN personnel shouldn’t bite the hand the feeds them (vis a vis the sens management group) yet we never say the opposite since TSN/Bell media shell out ~$40M a season for the rights to broadcast the senators….maybe it should be the sens not biting the hands that have been feeding them pretty well

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Imagine having a 2nd pairing quality defenseman playing on the 3rd pairing.

The horror. We'd probably have to pay him 2nd pairing money too.

Better get out in front of it and make sure only bad but cheap defenseman play on our bottom pairing.

I think the point Is we will have a much bigger hole in our top 6 compared to our bottom pair.

The only way this makes sense is if trading Brannstrom fills that hole

People in here are crying as if he's not getting traded for a return

Were getting an asset back, LHD has talent and depth. Makes perfect sense

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

It’s on the players side too .. they have to give in game interviews etc. Both owners and players are equally invested in supporting and growing the game..

it’s not like the players ever give any good info in interviews - it’s all daisies and rose pedals.

No fan should ever “accept” anything an owner, player, or coach says to the media unless it’s unfiltered like Torts or some semi drunk players riding Uber.

I’ll regret it but happy to trade Brann for a 2C to save #freeJimmyStu

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Last yr Tierny had another yr left on his contract, this yr he is a UFA & would be a rental for any team wanting some vet depth in their lineup. It's what most teams want at the TDL, guys with no term left on their contracts so they are not stuck with them if they don't turn out. If they do, they can just re-sign them.

IMO Ottawa can easily replace Tierny with White, Paul, L. Brown or even Kastelic who is getting close to being NHL ready for a 4th line role. In another yr or two I expect that Ostapchuk C should be in the AHL & hopefully developing into an NHL player too.
That is true. That is typically what GMs want at the deadline, although there are a few exceptions. Dubas for example looked for players that had some term e.g., 2 years.

I also agree that if Tierney is moved at the deadline, there are few options on the Senators roster that could fill in. Hopefully the players that will ultimately be trade bait at the deadline will have good years so that Senators receive better returns. The Senators have to rely heavily on building a team through the draft and getting good performance from young players.

Reactions: aragorn

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think the point Is we will have a much bigger hole in our top 6 compared to our bottom pair.

But what team will give up a top 6 forward for Brannstrom?

As I've pointed out, the only teams with a potential spot for him are the Yotes, Sharks, Isles and maybe the Blues or Flames (unlikely).

There seems to be plenty of LD available. Seattle alone has 5 signed to one-way deals not including Dunn or Cholowski.

Sanderson isn't going to be playing until late next season. No need to trade Brannstrom now when his value is low.

Reactions: alfstheman

STUDtzle

Jun 1, 2021

Literally every team in Canada has complicit media. I'd say 95% of talking heads are working PR for their respective teams

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

It would be one thing to get an asset back, but all too often these trades leave us much worse off and the "asset" we acquire is a dud. Brassard, Stepan, Duchene, etc.. all returned much less (for good reason) when we traded them after acquiring them (or returned nothing at all). We should stop doing these types of deal.

The reason they returned less was because they wouldnt re-sign for term and didnt produce. No one we acquire seems to re-sign or produce once we acquire them. It is pointless.

In some cases we have no choice but to trade a player (Stone, Karlsson, Spezza, Heatley, etc..) not much we can do about that.

Brannstrom is different. Hes a good, cost controlled, asset. Acquiring veterans for cost controlled assets when they will inevitably suck and fail is just stupid. We should stop tryjng to be a normal team. Were not a normal team that can get players to re-sign and get free agents. We're a team that will need to build almost entirely from within to have any hope of success.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
They have been strong armed by Melnyk over and over again. "I will bury you", "Bush league reporter", plane charter's revoked, no interview access for long periods of time, etc. etc. Team 1200 is also affiliated with their biggest financial contributor in TSN.

It's a bad look, but they have no choice but to play nice and pander or have their access revoked.
The media pay the league big moeny for broadcasting rights. They can say whatever the f*** they want.

You know what happens if a GM or owner tries this shit in the NBA? He gets non stop criticism until the league steps in and remedies the situation. Bettman is being weak on the treatment of media by Melnyk.

Reactions: BigRig4

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The media pay the league big moeny for broadcasting rights. They can say whatever the f*** they want.

You know what happens if a GM or owner tries this shit in the NBA? He gets non stop criticism until the league steps in and remedies the situation. Bettman is being weak on the treatment of media by Melnyk.
I agree completely. Its essentially bullying and blackmailing.

Reactions: Bileur and BigRig4

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
But what team will give up a top 6 forward for Brannstrom?

As I've pointed out, the only teams with a potential spot for him are the Yotes, Sharks, Isles and maybe the Blues or Flames (unlikely).

There seems to be plenty of LD available. Seattle alone has 5 signed to one-way deals not including Dunn or Cholowski.

Sanderson isn't going to be playing until late next season. No need to trade Brannstrom now when his value is low.

Yeah that I don't know, I guess my thinking is he's still regarded as a high end prospect but that's really just a guess on my part.

I think the idea behind trading Brannstrom is completely fair, but that doesn't excuse the organization from making a bad trade.

I'm guessing a package of Brannstrom + Tierney/L.Brown/White + 2nd/3rd should be able to net us a solid piece up front.

I'm not sure if we would see Brannstrom moved alone because, to your point on his value and team needs, it might not make the most sense in a trade

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
It would be one thing to get an asset back, but all too often these trades leave us much worse off and the "asset" we acquire is a dud. Brassard, Stepan, Duchene, etc.. all returned much less (for good reason) when we traded them after acquiring them (or returned nothing at all). We should stop doing these types of deal.

The reason they returned less was because they wouldnt re-sign for term and didnt produce. No one we acquire seems to re-sign or produce once we acquire them. It is pointless.

In some cases we have no choice but to trade a player (Stone, Karlsson, Spezza, Heatley, etc..) not much we can do about that.

Brannstrom is different. Hes a good, cost controlled, asset. Acquiring veterans for cost controlled assets when they will inevitably suck and fail is just stupid. We should stop tryjng to be a normal team. Were not a normal team that can get players to re-sign and get free agents. We're a team that will need to build almost entirely from within to have any hope of success.

Well I agree, our trade history does not give me much confidence. But I will say with PM on the staff I'm more interested to see what the team can accomplish trade-wise.

To your point the ONLY reason you trade Brann is because he helps get you an asset you want. No reason to throw him away if that asset is not available.

Like we have tons of trade chips now- tons of prospects and 6 picks in the first three rounds next draft. If we wanna make a move we can, there are just certain prospects I wouldn't touch - Brannstrom isn't one of those guys, but still should only be moved to fill another need

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I'm calling this now - 3 team trade

Eichel to Calgary
Tkachuk to Ottawa
a bunch of shit to Buffalo

I should add - some poster who has broken tons of Calgary news says Calgary is working on getting Eichel in a 3 team trade with Tkachuk going to a 3rd team (because he wont resign in Buffalo and wants out of Calgary)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad