Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
31 teams beat that offer with a sneeze. If people want to be realistic about a trade just from a money perspective Colin White has to be in the deal and they have to find a way to dump Tierney.

Batherson, White, Brannstrom, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd, 2022 3rd.

(Trading for eichel doesn't make sense to me I wouldn't do this deal but that's the value you're looking at)

Lottery protect the 2022 first and I would make that trade. I like Batherson but I like Eichel twice as much.

Reactions: SENStastic

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
All depends on the ask ...which we can expect to be substantial.. Huge piece to add if he can recover and stay healthy thru his contract.

If they want Norris and Batherson and an unprotected 1st + would you do it?

No. White, Batherson, Brannstrom, 2022 first (lottery protected), 2022 second, 2022 third. Not Norris as we need him at #2 center.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's okay, around trade deadline in 2012, I offered Michalek + Stone + a pick (either a 1st or a 2nd) for Vanek.

Edit: Must have been 2013 based on my join date, which makes it even worse. I was lurking so many years before I joined, I forgot the date.
Happens to the best of us.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I don’t see a winning line-up with what you just posted. I see a serious gap at 3C, as I don’t think we can rely on Logan Brown for anything at this stage, a pretty rough d-core, and a hit or miss goalie situation.

While you’re right that the defence needs work regardless, that’s sort of the point. Staying the course allows you to wait until Sanderson is ready to play and have an impact, see if Brann/JBD/Thomson can cut it, find another dman to add. It’s pretty futile to add Eichel and then spend a couple years filling gaps to try to compete, then having Eichel walk as we start to really hit our stride.

We can take the approach that these pieces are easier to acquire than Eichel, and it’s true, but then again LA just paid 5.5 mil for a 3C, Colorado gave up a first and prospect for a goalie, an average dman like Ristolainen returned a fortune including two firsts. I want a 1C but don’t see this kind of move working out for us personally, even if you ignore our financial constraints which makes it even less feasible.

Do you see a winning line-up with what we have now/coming up?

i really dont. We’re going to need to add at some point. What will we add? Interested to see. They better be focused cause very quickly the young guys will need $

Reactions: Cosmix

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
To Ottawa: Sean Monahan (Cgy), Nikita Zadorov (Cgy)

To Calgary: Jack Eichel (Buf), Nick Holden (Ott), Chris Tierney (Ott)

To Buffalo: Johnny Gadreau (Cgy), Connor Zary (Cgy), Cgy 1st 2022 (Cgy), Erik Brannstrom (Ott), Logan Brown (Ott)

Not advocating for this. Just trying to map a scenario as rumoured. I could see Zadorov being traded to Buffalo first and some salary retained.

Tierney is almost a negative, Holden was a freebie, I’m certain DJ will never play Branny because of his size, Logan is Logan. Calgary gets a complete culture change and a star to help compete with Edmonton. Buffalo gets their rumoured asking price for Eichel, plus one asset.

Reactions: Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
More like M. Tkachuk or Zibanejad

Give me a player that moves the needle for us
If we can’t afford eichel then we can’t afford a zibby extension

I don’t get why people would even want to get monahan if we can’t afford to pay eichel we can’t afford to pay any of these guys on their next contract

eichel contract is gonna be a steal in 2 years

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Do you see a winning line-up with what we have now/coming up?

i really dont. We’re going to need to add at some point. What will we add? Interested to see. They better be focused cause very quickly the young guys will need $

No, not quite. We need an elite 1C and a veteran top four dman.

History suggests we are going to have to find our #1 in the draft to win, although there are some exceptions (ROR/St Louis). I would much rather keep trying to find one, watch guys like Norris and Pinto develop and see where they end up, than lose 4-5 assets for Eichel when the team is not ready yet. IF two years from now it becomes clear that it remains our missing piece, we should be able to create a package around one of our young Cs to upgrade for someone that becomes available. Will that player be as good as Eichel? Maybe, maybe not - but to me it’s premature right now.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Couturier is a guy we need to be in on if Philly has another sub-par season and he is looking to leave.

Near-PPG two-way beast. Perfect for this team.

A LOT of great C pieces could maybe be available next year including Drai and McDavid depending on Oil's season.

Def could see us going after Hertl. The rumours of us being in on Strome make sense seeing as how he's only signed for a year, could be a good playmaking fit and if not he wouldn't have costed much (2nd+average prospect MAX).

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Dvorak makes a lot of sense for us.

I'd take him over all the other options right now. I don't see us going for Eichel and I'd take him over Strome, Kadri, Monahan.

His contract is pretty good and offers us some stability. Dvorak is a way better fit than White or Tierney IMO. He has great offensive instincts, a good shot, goes to the net and plays hard. He's only 25 and would be well worth his contract. He's very good on faceoffs too and was assigned tough matchups. He played over 18 minutes a game last year. He was 58 % at the dot on the PP and had 8 PPG.

He fills a lot of needs for us and comes in at a 4.5M price tag. Gives some flexibility up front and three very solid lines. It's worth a lot knowing you can have him locked up for 4 years.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Dvorak - C. Brown
Formenton - Pinto - White
Paul - Kelly - Watson
Tierney

4 hard forechecking lines.

I'd consider giving up Brannstrom.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

I'd take him over all the other options right now. I don't see us going for Eichel and I'd take him over Strome, Kadri, Monahan.

His contract is pretty good and offers us some stability. Dvorak is a way better fit than White or Tierney IMO. He has great offensive instincts, a good shot, goes to the net and plays hard. He's only 25 and would be well worth his contract. He's very good on faceoffs too and was assigned tough matchups. He played over 18 minutes a game last year. He was 58 % at the dot on the PP and had 8 PPG.

He fills a lot of needs for us and comes in at a 4.5M price tag. Gives some flexibility up front and three very solid lines. It's worth a lot knowing you can have him locked up for 4 years.

Paul - Kelly - Watson
Tierney

A 3rd line C for a top-4 D. No thanks.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Dvorak does make most sense for us, I agree.

Even if he does get surpassed internally, or externally, hes signed up for real good deal even for 3rd liner who’s real good 2 way. If he explodes himself, we got a phenomenal deal.

Key is to not pay anything substantial. Should be like 2nd + Logan Brown

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Paul is a UFA at the end of the season … He should be moved at the deadline if he doesn’t have an extension.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Paul - Kelly - Watson
Tierney

Is Dvorak even on the market? I'd rather keep Brannstrom but as a target Dvorak would be decent.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Paul is a UFA at the end of the season … He should be moved at the deadline if he doesn’t have an extension.

Man, I hope they can find a deal for him. I hadn’t been big on Paul since he got here and didn’t see a ton of upside, but he really impressed me last season.

He’s turning into a pretty solid depth/special teams guy. Definitely a good guy to keep around if we ever want to compete.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Man, I hope they can find a deal for him. I hadn’t been big on Paul since he got here and didn’t see a ton of upside, but he really impressed me last season.

He’s turning into a pretty solid depth/special teams guy. Definitely a good guy to keep around if we ever want to compete.

He’s been a great player - however he will have reached a point in his career where it will take an open market top offer to retain him. Probably at least $4x3+ Type thing.

Although valuable he may have more value recycled for a 1RD pick. He also may no interest in signing here and may leave regardless. I assume a contract should be in place by XMAS or so or else it’s time to explore moving him.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I'm a little surprised by the lack of activity from Psquared, but I guess I shouldn't be. I'm sure the lines are out and the team is waiting for the more important moves to be executed before they can complete the trade for our underwhelming incoming player that is being discarded for an upgrade from another team.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
He’s been a great player - however he will have reached a point in his career where it will take an open market top offer to retain him. Probably at least $4x3+ Type thing.

Although valuable he may have more value recycled for a 1RD pick. He also may no interest in signing here and may leave regardless. I assume a contract should be in place by XMAS or so or else it’s time to explore moving him.

The team’s getting to a point too where they’re gonna have to start retaining players. I’m not saying we should spend to open market price on him, but anything around the 3mil range would be good with me.

But if you can get a late 1st for him at the deadline, and I’m not sure you can, but I’d say absolutely do it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Paul - Kelly - Watson
Tierney

Pinto will be better than Dvorak. so don’t take his spot with a placeholder average dude and give away assets to do it.
It’s a no.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The team’s getting to a point too where they’re gonna have to start retaining players. I’m not saying we should spend to open market price on him, but anything around the 3mil range would be good with me.

But if you can get a late 1st for him at the deadline, and I’m not sure you can, but I’d say absolutely do it.

The easy answer is “yes, the team should retain talent”… the hard questions is which players are worth the team keeping and which players want to stay here.

Trading every UFA is probably a better option that retaining every one … look at how EK, MD, RD etc turned out. There is a line … it remains to be seen if Pager > Grieg etc.

Reactions: pzeeman

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
The easy answer is “yes, the team should retain talent”… the hard questions is which players are worth the team keeping and which players want to stay here.

Trading every UFA is probably a better option that retaining every one … look at how EK, MD, RD etc turned out. There is a line … it remains to be seen if Pager > Grieg etc.

yeah I agree with that. You always want to maximize your returns for your assets. That’s just good business.

my point was that at some point we’re going to have to stop asking ourselves “how good will this team be in 3-5 years?” And start asking “how good can this team be right now?”.

I’m not saying now is the time, but we were promised “unparalleled success” starting around now so you have to think most of the current roster was involved in that plan of theirs to be competitive.

Whether or not Paul is, I don’t know.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No, not quite. We need an elite 1C and a veteran top four dman.

History suggests we are going to have to find our #1 in the draft to win, although there are some exceptions (ROR/St Louis). I would much rather keep trying to find one, watch guys like Norris and Pinto develop and see where they end up, than lose 4-5 assets for Eichel when the team is not ready yet. IF two years from now it becomes clear that it remains our missing piece, we should be able to create a package around one of our young Cs to upgrade for someone that becomes available. Will that player be as good as Eichel? Maybe, maybe not - but to me it’s premature right now.

I agree, the team is not yet ready for Eichel although they could be within the next few yrs & it would cost too much right now which they can't afford to lose. I expect they continue to take another step forward this yr & get a few more young guys in place before the final team is ready. By the time Kleven & Boucher are on this team I expect they should not only challenge for a playoff spot, but be in the playoffs & challenging to go on a long run. That would be the yr to look to the TDL to add what is missing or make a big trade to add the missing link without gutting the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayOn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad