Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

This would be the best option being discussed.
1 year 3.5 salary; 2m bonus presumably paid.

Doug Wilson going ok your turn to bend over Dorion. Dorion knows the maneuver well.

Hertl would be a fantastic add though.. so ... You go PD

66KBVNN.png

LMAO

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

This would be the best option being discussed.
1 year 3.5 salary; 2m bonus presumably paid.

Doug Wilson going ok your turn to bend over Dorion. Dorion knows the maneuver well.

Hertl would be a fantastic add though.. so ... You go PD

Of course his source is Hockeybuzz lol

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Perfect time to buy low on the young #1 center this team is missing to take it to the next level, but spending 10M on him apparently isn't do-able but spending around 10M between White and the center Monahan/Strome/Henrique we trade for instead is within the budget.

We'll see what he goes for, but I am going to guess it's for a package that we could have absolutely beat if we were actually interested in winning a cup.

While I agree in essence on all points, when was the last time a star was traded within a division?

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Hertl or Kadri, if not then we close the door on it unless something else comes along.

No need to over pay for centers marginally better then what we have and we will run out of town in a couple of years.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Couturier is a guy we need to be in on if Philly has another sub-par season and he is looking to leave.

Near-PPG two-way beast. Perfect for this team.

Reactions: OgieO and Yak

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I don't think this is short-sighted. I put this together after taking a serious look at the future of our squad. I don't think we have the pieces necessary to win a cup. We need a number one center. Full stop. I think we have two opportunities to fix this, but by this time next year, we will most likely have missed the boat on both of them. There's Eichel, and there's finishing bottom 10 and hoping to win the lottery. I outlined in a post earlier in this thread that even the "low offence" 1st line centers that have won the cup weren't that low offense, and were selkie candidates/winners to boot. Norris is good, but I don't think he has 70-90 point potential. Pinto is good, but it's the same thing with him. The last 21 cup winner had a center with that kind of ability on their team. I didn't bother looking back further than 21 years, but I imagine it would be much the same.

The surgery Eichel wants has a short recovery time, and if he had it today, the doctors expect he will be fully healthy and ready to participate in training camp. Worst case (barring complete surgical failure), he should be back and fully healthy long before the end of 2021. Listening to the doctor whom Eichel has been in contact with speak on both of the surgery types available to him alleviated a lot of doubts for me regarding his health both short and long term. The chance he never fully recovers is always there, but the chance he does seems to be much higher.

We're moving two roster centers for one. One of those guys most people want to get rid of anyway. Our bottom six centers in the short-term can be a mix of Brown, Tierney, and Paul. If Paul needs to move to center, we can move Brown or Tierney for a 3RW. I would say that is a realistic ask for either of those guys. I posted a potential bottom six in my post, but if a trade needs to be made, the bottom six could end up something like: Formenton - Paul/Tierney - xxx | Bishop - Paul/Tierney - Watson, which is fine. Tierney is more vanilla than vanilla, but he is a responsible player that won't hurt us when he's on the ice. I don't see the bottom six as an issue. Grieg plays both C and LW, but I think this is better use of his future value. If he projects to be a 2nd line player, we will be paying him second line money to be playing behind Norris and Pinto or Tkachuk and Stützle. Using a player in a position of strength (2nd liners) to address a need (1st liners) makes sense.

If Brannstrom is picked (someone many people here already have in their trade proposals for players much worse than Eichel), the defense for next season is as follows:

Chabot - Zaitzev
Del Zotto/Holden/Mete - Zub
Del Zotto/Holden/Mete - Holden/Mete/Brown

This defense is something we may be looking at, Eichel or no Eichel. For me, Mete performed at a similar level to Brannstrom to end off last season and would work as a suitable replacement for 2021-2022 (not beyond that). Zub looked like someone that could be the best guy on the second pairing for a good team. Holden is a good shut-down guy and would be a good option with him for a solid, mistake free second pair. The loss of Brannstrom is not so much felt next season, but in his potential. I expect him to turn into a pretty good Dman, but he is projected to be on our 3rd pairing in the future. I wouldn't normally consider him expendable until Sanderson is on the team, but his projected impact next season is replaceable internally, and Sanderson is projected to be much better in the near future. In my opinion, this better use of Brannstrom's future value.

The goaltending is absolutely a question mark in this scenario. I made sure to mention that out in my post. Goalies are traditionally cost the least to acquire of any position. They typically cost less money, and cost less assets to trade for. Two stellar goalies were moved this offseason for peanuts. I feel like worrying about this is putting the cart before the horse. Before using Lalime as an example of Sens goalie heartbreak, we were higher in the standings than the leafs a single time during our playoff battles with them. I would also like to point out that they had a true #1 center the whole time.

In conclusion and as a summary, I don't think it's short-sighted because I don't think we can win the cup with this core. This is the last year we have a shot at a good draft pick with the new lottery system, and the odds were lowered, making it less likely. After this draft, our core is our core unless we make big trades or signings, all of which will be for a player worse than Eichel. If you're happy with being a good team, or even a really good team that is never the favourite to win but has that "you never know!" vibe about winning, then I can understand not risking it for Eichel. I want to be a team that people are picking to win it.

I don’t see a winning line-up with what you just posted. I see a serious gap at 3C, as I don’t think we can rely on Logan Brown for anything at this stage, a pretty rough d-core, and a hit or miss goalie situation.

While you’re right that the defence needs work regardless, that’s sort of the point. Staying the course allows you to wait until Sanderson is ready to play and have an impact, see if Brann/JBD/Thomson can cut it, find another dman to add. It’s pretty futile to add Eichel and then spend a couple years filling gaps to try to compete, then having Eichel walk as we start to really hit our stride.

We can take the approach that these pieces are easier to acquire than Eichel, and it’s true, but then again LA just paid 5.5 mil for a 3C, Colorado gave up a first and prospect for a goalie, an average dman like Ristolainen returned a fortune including two firsts. I want a 1C but don’t see this kind of move working out for us personally, even if you ignore our financial constraints which makes it even less feasible.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
I don’t see a winning line-up with what you just posted. I see a serious gap at 3C, as I don’t think we can rely on Logan Brown for anything at this stage, a pretty rough d-core, and a hit or miss goalie situation.

While you’re right that the defence needs work regardless, that’s sort of the point. Staying the course allows you to wait until Sanderson is ready to play and have an impact, see if Brann/JBD/Thomson can cut it, find another dman to add. It’s pretty futile to add Eichel and then spend a couple years filling gaps to try to compete, then having Eichel walk as we start to really hit our stride.

We can take the approach that these pieces are easier to acquire than Eichel, and it’s true, but then again LA just paid 5.5 mil for a 3C, Colorado gave up a first and prospect for a goalie, an average dman like Ristolainen returned a fortune including two firsts. I want a 1C but don’t see this kind of move working out for us personally, even if you ignore our financial constraints which makes it even less feasible.

The idea about the roster wasn't to compete for a cup in 2021-2022, it's to vastly improve the team for 2022-2023 when Sanderson comes in full time. Eichel won't be available to us then, so the idea is to get him now.

I disagree about the 3C gap. I have been very big on Paul for a few seasons now and believe he would do very well there. Tierney can also do it completely competently if we want to keep Paul on the wing (kinda blocking Formenton for no reason at that point, but he can move to RW). I have Brown there for the 2021-2022 season as his "last shot". If he makes it, we're more than set at center. If not, Paul moves over or Tierney moves up. This is to ensure we're not throwing away a potential asset after spending on Eichel.

I think the defense will be good enough without next season's iteration of Brannstrom with the players that were brought in. That doesn't mean I'm happy we added them outside of the context of an Eichel trade, it means that purely next season, the defense should have a negligible difference between Brannstrom being there and him not being there. Again, in the context of next year only. In a scenario where we aren't getting Eichel, I want Brannstrom to play and develop over the other players we brought in 100%. Remember, the goal is to compete on Sanderson's ELC. I'm one of the biggest Sanderson fans around and think that he will be better than Zub (who is very good) basically right at the start his first full season (2022-2023). I 100% believe he has the potential to dethrone Chabot as our #1 at some point.

I once again differ in the additional acquisition statement. I think we're pretty much done if we get Eichel. Just need some time and a goalie. The top six with Eichel will be one of the better ones in the entire league. Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson are a weak 1st line, but an insanely strong second line. Stützle - Eichel could be a duo that competes with some of the other top duos, like Matthews - Marner, MacKinnon - Rantanen, Barkov - Huberdeau in the league as well. Chabot, Sanderson, and Zub will be regarded as one of the better trios in the league. Without a top line center, we end up with Stützle trying to carry a line offensively on his own and a weak 1st line with the Chuck Norris trio instead. It makes such a huge difference to the structure of our entire forward core.

Reactions: Rodzilla and Cosmix

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I hear Evander Kane can be had for very cheap! Jk
Easily my most embarrassing moment (and there’s been many) on this site is when I said I would trade Stone for Kane when Kane when Kane firdt became available years ago

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
FWIW, Gord Wilson on TSN 1200 was pretty certain Brannstrom would be traded. He said for a player who will help immediately. Picks might be involved. And I don’t know if he was kidding but he thought by Wednesday. He also said Logan Brown will still be on the team going into training camp.

In The Box - July 30, 2021 - Hour 4

Gord Wilson is making prognostications now? Wow!

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It’s tough … some teams will pay a tonne to get a player no better than what can be had at $1 million in a month or so …

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Easily my most embarrassing moment (and there’s been many) on this site is when I said I would trade Stone for Kane when Kane when Kane firdt became available years ago

It's okay, around trade deadline in 2012, I offered Michalek + Stone + a pick (either a 1st or a 2nd) for Vanek.

Edit: Must have been 2013 based on my join date, which makes it even worse. I was lurking so many years before I joined, I forgot the date.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's okay, around trade deadline in 2012, I offered Michalek + Stone + a pick (either a 1st or a 2nd) for Vanek.

Edit: Must have been 2013 based on my join date, which makes it even worse. I was lurking so many years before I joined, I forgot the date.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad