Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
upload_2021-7-31_14-54-28.jpeg

Didn’t know where to put this but cool story from our late Bryan Murray

Dorion would be Milbury in this scenario

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am starting to warm up to Strome as an option, he can play Center for a bit and if Pinto, Logan Brown, or White show they deserve a top 6 C role, he slides over to RW and fills a different need.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-L.Brown/Pinto-Strome
Paul-White-C.Brown
Formenton-Tierney-Watson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
MDZ/Mete/Holden-Brown/Holden

Murray
Forsberg/Gustavsson

I don't mind that lineup. Having said that, depending on how much it costs to acquire him I might just rather stand pat.

In our system, getting top 6 mins and PP time, he's likely a 45-55 pts player, he played at about a 45 pts pace with NYR in a middle 6 role prior to being put on a line with Panarin the next year.

Also feel like you could flip White and Strome and have a middle six of
Stützle-L.Brown/Pinto-White
Paul-Strome-C.Brown

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveMatthew

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I feel like we’re going to be the 3rd wheel in a 3-way trade for Eichel. We’ll trade Brown and a mid pick for one of the centres were interested in and a pick with Brannstrom to Buffalo for one of the returning or existing roster players.

Reactions: BigRig4 and Samboni

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I am starting to warm up to Strome as an option, he can play Center for a bit and if Pinto, Logan Brown, or White show they deserve a top 6 C role, he slides over to RW and fills a different need.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-L.Brown/Pinto-Strome
Paul-White-C.Brown
Formenton-Tierney-Watson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
MDZ/Mete/Holden-Brown/Holden

Murray
Forsberg/Gustavsson

I don't mind that lineup. Having said that, depending on how much it costs to acquire him I might just rather stand pat.

In our system, getting top 6 mins and PP time, he's likely a 45-55 pts player, he played at about a 45 pts pace with NYR in a middle 6 role prior to being put on a line with Panarin the next year.

Nooo Micklebot, this is what Dorion wants. We’re getting desperate now because we’re 4 days after the start of FA and fans will now accept an unspectacular add at this point just to see something done

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
That’s a lot to give up. You’re losing three centres in the deal (two with very good upside) and are now immediately without a 3C, they’re likely taking Gus so you’re pinning all your short-term hopes on Murray (Soogard, Mandolese and Merilainen all need time) and you’re getting an Eichel next season who may or may not be hurt. If that’s the case, this would mean we start the season with Norris as the only capable C on our entire team - which would be disastrous for our pick, which is also not lottery protected. And that’s not even discussing whichever D they take, which is probably Brannstrom.

Seems like a very short-sighted move to me.

I don't think this is short-sighted. I put this together after taking a serious look at the future of our squad. I don't think we have the pieces necessary to win a cup. We need a number one center. Full stop. I think we have two opportunities to fix this, but by this time next year, we will most likely have missed the boat on both of them. There's Eichel, and there's finishing bottom 10 and hoping to win the lottery. I outlined in a post earlier in this thread that even the "low offence" 1st line centers that have won the cup weren't that low offense, and were selkie candidates/winners to boot. Norris is good, but I don't think he has 70-90 point potential. Pinto is good, but it's the same thing with him. The last 21 cup winner had a center with that kind of ability on their team. I didn't bother looking back further than 21 years, but I imagine it would be much the same.

The surgery Eichel wants has a short recovery time, and if he had it today, the doctors expect he will be fully healthy and ready to participate in training camp. Worst case (barring complete surgical failure), he should be back and fully healthy long before the end of 2021. Listening to the doctor whom Eichel has been in contact with speak on both of the surgery types available to him alleviated a lot of doubts for me regarding his health both short and long term. The chance he never fully recovers is always there, but the chance he does seems to be much higher.

We're moving two roster centers for one. One of those guys most people want to get rid of anyway. Our bottom six centers in the short-term can be a mix of Brown, Tierney, and Paul. If Paul needs to move to center, we can move Brown or Tierney for a 3RW. I would say that is a realistic ask for either of those guys. I posted a potential bottom six in my post, but if a trade needs to be made, the bottom six could end up something like: Formenton - Paul/Tierney - xxx | Bishop - Paul/Tierney - Watson, which is fine. Tierney is more vanilla than vanilla, but he is a responsible player that won't hurt us when he's on the ice. I don't see the bottom six as an issue. Grieg plays both C and LW, but I think this is better use of his future value. If he projects to be a 2nd line player, we will be paying him second line money to be playing behind Norris and Pinto or Tkachuk and Stützle. Using a player in a position of strength (2nd liners) to address a need (1st liners) makes sense.

If Brannstrom is picked (someone many people here already have in their trade proposals for players much worse than Eichel), the defense for next season is as follows:

Chabot - Zaitzev
Del Zotto/Holden/Mete - Zub
Del Zotto/Holden/Mete - Holden/Mete/Brown

This defense is something we may be looking at, Eichel or no Eichel. For me, Mete performed at a similar level to Brannstrom to end off last season and would work as a suitable replacement for 2021-2022 (not beyond that). Zub looked like someone that could be the best guy on the second pairing for a good team. Holden is a good shut-down guy and would be a good option with him for a solid, mistake free second pair. The loss of Brannstrom is not so much felt next season, but in his potential. I expect him to turn into a pretty good Dman, but he is projected to be on our 3rd pairing in the future. I wouldn't normally consider him expendable until Sanderson is on the team, but his projected impact next season is replaceable internally, and Sanderson is projected to be much better in the near future. In my opinion, this better use of Brannstrom's future value.

The goaltending is absolutely a question mark in this scenario. I made sure to mention that out in my post. Goalies are traditionally cost the least to acquire of any position. They typically cost less money, and cost less assets to trade for. Two stellar goalies were moved this offseason for peanuts. I feel like worrying about this is putting the cart before the horse. Before using Lalime as an example of Sens goalie heartbreak, we were higher in the standings than the leafs a single time during our playoff battles with them. I would also like to point out that they had a true #1 center the whole time.

In conclusion and as a summary, I don't think it's short-sighted because I don't think we can win the cup with this core. This is the last year we have a shot at a good draft pick with the new lottery system, and the odds were lowered, making it less likely. After this draft, our core is our core unless we make big trades or signings, all of which will be for a player worse than Eichel. If you're happy with being a good team, or even a really good team that is never the favourite to win but has that "you never know!" vibe about winning, then I can understand not risking it for Eichel. I want to be a team that people are picking to win it.

Reactions: Rodzilla

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nooo Micklebot, this is what Dorion wants. We’re getting desperate now because we’re 4 days after the start of FA and fans will now accept an unspectacular add at this point just to see something done

I'm not sure what you were expecting, Krieji and Eichel are/where never happening.

Realistically it's always been Monahan, Kadri, Strome or Henrique. If those are the targets, someone who can stick in the top 6 is probably best.

Reactions: ThreePosts

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Strome, Henrique and Monahan being discussed is depressing sure it’s better compared to Aberg, Holden and MDZ but point still stands

If we are going to be a bunch of losers and pass on Eichel because he’s making 10M, just tank completely and hope you get #1 pick

Lol come on Ottawa isn't getting Eichel whether they want to or not.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Caps space and real $ is an asset used when you are a budget team no? Lol
I concur. $s must be spent wisely. Would think everyone would agree with that. I think the poster just meant that we didn't give a player/prospect/pick this time. $s are important though.

Reactions: Matsens15 and DJB

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Calgary, Anaheim and NYR front runners on Eichel.. We are probably in that mix depending on who brings it. Monaghan , Henrique, Strome are the three potential moves ... Don't really like any of them . Strome would be the best option on a short term deal. If I had a choice between Kadri and Strome on a 1 year deal .. I take Kadri all day long

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I don't think this is short-sighted. I put this together after taking a serious look at the future of our squad. I don't think we have the pieces necessary to win a cup. We need a number one center. Full stop. I think we have two opportunities to fix this, but by this time next year, we will most likely have missed the boat on both of them. There's Eichel, and there's finishing bottom 10 and hoping to win the lottery. I outlined in a post earlier in this thread that even the "low offence" 1st line centers that have won the cup weren't that low offense, and were selkie candidates/winners to boot. Norris is good, but I don't think he has 70-90 point potential. Pinto is good, but it's the same thing with him. The last 21 cup winner had a center with that kind of ability on their team. I didn't bother looking back further than 21 years, but I imagine it would be much the same.

The surgery Eichel wants has a short recovery time, and if he had it today, the doctors expect he will be fully healthy and ready to participate in training camp. Worst case (barring complete surgical failure), he should be back and fully healthy long before the end of 2021. Listening to the doctor whom Eichel has been in contact with speak on both of the surgery types available to him alleviated a lot of doubts for me regarding his health both short and long term. The chance he never fully recovers is always there, but the chance he does seems to be much higher.

We're moving two roster centers for one. One of those guys most people want to get rid of anyway. Our bottom six centers in the short-term can be a mix of Brown, Tierney, and Paul. If Paul needs to move to center, we can move Brown or Tierney for a 3RW. I would say that is a realistic ask for either of those guys. I posted a potential bottom six in my post, but if a trade needs to be made, the bottom six could end up something like: Formenton - Paul/Tierney - xxx | Bishop - Paul/Tierney - Watson, which is fine. Tierney is more vanilla than vanilla, but he is a responsible player that won't hurt us when he's on the ice. I don't see the bottom six as an issue. Grieg plays both C and LW, but I think this is better use of his future value. If he projects to be a 2nd line player, we will be paying him second line money to be playing behind Norris and Pinto or Tkachuk and Stützle. Using a player in a position of strength (2nd liners) to address a need (1st liners) makes sense.

If Brannstrom is picked (someone many people here already have in their trade proposals for players much worse than Eichel), the defense for next season is as follows:

Chabot - Zaitzev
Del Zotto/Holden/Mete - Zub
Del Zotto/Holden/Mete - Holden/Mete/Brown

This defense is something we may be looking at, Eichel or no Eichel. For me, Mete performed at a similar level to Brannstrom to end off last season and would work as a suitable replacement for 2021-2022 (not beyond that). Zub looked like someone that could be the best guy on the second pairing for a good team. Holden is a good shut-down guy and would be a good option with him for a solid, mistake free second pair. The loss of Brannstrom is not so much felt next season, but in his potential. I expect him to turn into a pretty good Dman, but he is projected to be on our 3rd pairing in the future. I wouldn't normally consider him expendable until Sanderson is on the team, but his projected impact next season is replaceable internally, and Sanderson is projected to be much better in the near future. In my opinion, this better use of Brannstrom's future value.

The goaltending is absolutely a question mark in this scenario. I made sure to mention that out in my post. Goalies are traditionally cost the least to acquire of any position. They typically cost less money, and cost less assets to trade for. Two stellar goalies were moved this offseason for peanuts. I feel like worrying about this is putting the cart before the horse. Before using Lalime as an example of Sens goalie heartbreak, we were higher in the standings than the leafs a single time during our playoff battles with them. I would also like to point out that they had a true #1 center the whole time.

In conclusion and as a summary, I don't think it's short-sighted because I don't think we can win the cup with this core. This is the last year we have a shot at a good draft pick with the new lottery system, and the odds were lowered, making it less likely. After this draft, our core is our core unless we make big trades or signings, all of which will be for a player worse than Eichel. If you're happy with being a good team, or even a really good team that is never the favourite to win but has that "you never know!" vibe about winning, then I can understand not risking it for Eichel. I want to be a team that people are picking to win it.

It wont happen but I couldnt agree more with you.

I read posts in here saying we will battle for the playoffs this year and stuff but all I see when looking at this roster is a bottom 10 team. Will gladly be wrong and eat crowe and will be at the home opener but I just dont see it, really dont.

i also agree with you that I dont see this core winning. Especially up front. Defense will be solid with Chabot and Sanderson but they still need help and we need help badly up front. Especially a true #1 C.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Perfect time to buy low on the young #1 center this team is missing to take it to the next level, but spending 10M on him apparently isn't do-able but spending around 10M between White and the center Monahan/Strome/Henrique we trade for instead is within the budget.

We'll see what he goes for, but I am going to guess it's for a package that we could have absolutely beat if we were actually interested in winning a cup.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Lol come on Ottawa isn't getting Eichel whether they want to or not.

We have the assets to get them if the team really wanted to. If we bridge our current young core, we should be able to afford Eichel.

Eichel: 10, Norris: 5.5, Tkachuk: 6.5, Batherson: 4.5 = 26.5

vs

Norris: 6.5, Tkachuk: 8, Batherson: 5.5, Pinto: 4 = 24

Shorter window, but (much) higher peak. I guess it's moot if the second set of numbers is too much for the team, but then discussing being a competitive team is pointless. I'd rather stay a little optimistic.

Reactions: Dionysus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad