Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Easy deal on NHL 20 sure, not real life. But three picks in a deep draft one that's likely in the lottery and two other good players isn't just batherson. Gutting the team mid rebuild for a giant question mark which I have explained in this thread many times.

I wouldn't call that gutting the team at all. In fact, I think Batherson, Brannstrom, and the 3 picks is something that Buffalo easily declines.

If you're gonna get Eichel, it's gonna hurt and hurt bad. Change whatever the third player in the prospective deal was to Pinto and you're getting there and then thank Adams profusely for not insisting on Sanderson (which he would).

Brannstrom
Pinto
Batherson
2022 1st
22 2nd
22 3rd

Then it's a no deal from my POV. What you proposed means losing Batherson and a mid round 1st in a great draft, but still a mid round first (barring a lottery win).

EDIT and I'm high on Brannstrom, but he's replaceable in this scenario, as are the 2nd and 3rd rounder in the 2022 draft.

Reactions: Cosmix

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Pagnotta said the three teams left on Eichel the Ducks, Calgary, and NYR
So, basically, the three teams we've been linked to.

I think it is fair to say my guess is probably accurate and we should be rooting for Eichel to go to whichever team has the player you want: Henrique, Strome, or Monahan

So, I guess, go Flames? Get that Eichel!

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Coming into this thread with people talking like Eichel is realistic... wild.

It looks like the reasonable options are: Monahan, Strome, Henrique (if any of their teams get Eichel, one of them has to go) and Kerfoot (with the Ritchie acquisition, Toronto needs to clear cap.)

I'd rank them:

1. Monahan - The one guy who has a track record as a #1, despite regressing the last couple of seasons. I think he can rebound outside of Calgary, would mesh well with Stützle (since he's a shoot-first kind of guy) and having two years, at a reasonable rate, is a bonus.

2. Strome - He's shown he can play effectively with other top offensive players, and is versatile enough to play RW, if either Pinto or Brown breakout. With Dadonov gone, that's a bonus.

3. Kerfoot - I like him as a player. Not as much offensive upside as the other two, but has a better motor than a guy like Tierney, and in a more prominent role, could maybe get back to his Colorado numbers.

4. Henrique - Even at 50% retention, I wouldn't be a huge fan of acquiring him. If he had 1 year left? Sure. But he has 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duncstar and Cosmix

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
If our options are Strome, Monohan, Kadri, Kerfoot and Henrique, we should just stand pat.

Just kicking the can down the road.

Dvorak as well makes zero sense. More of why we have.

You don't think adding one of the bolded helps our team?
All four would be better than Tierney, White, Logan and Pinto (in his current state)
We need a competent NHL center playing behind or ahead of Norris, and rest assured the team knows this.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If our options are Strome, Monohan, Kadri, Kerfoot and Henrique, we should just stand pat.

you’re right but there’s an argument to be made for bringing in stop gap for next 2 years:

1) Insulation of younger guys going back into tough division and we need capable players to help us continue to improve and provide mentorship for Pinto and Norris and the like.

2) We need to bring capable players to help Stutzle reach his potential as well as other players.

3) Contract structure. Bringing stop gap means we can take our time developing Pinto and Greig and the like which will allow them to not be forced into larger role and make themselves expensive right out of their ELC

Having someone who is fill in for around 3 mill or next 2 years does nothing but help us benefit SO LONG AS, they are good contributors AND we are still able to freely make a move for elite talent when they become available and are the better fit for this group long term.

Reactions: Crosside

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I'm not big on Monahan because he's one dimensional and has seemed to regress in that dimension, but if the price is decent I guess he might work well with Stutzle.

GoMyTeam

Aug 20, 2017
Calgary needs a 3rd team in the trade much more than the other two, and Lindholm would be the best fit we could get from the any of them.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
One thing that Garrioch just wrote about is a potential trade for, not just a center, but a winger as well. GARRIOCH: While the Senators signed depth, they're still looking to make a deal for a couple of players up front | Ottawa Sun Specifically he wrote that Dorion mentioned he was happy with his defense, but would make "another move or two before the season gets under way". Obviously one of tehse was for a center, but Garrioch speculated that he could look for a winger as well. Now, obviously this is speculation because it isn't like the well supported center rumours, but who would be our targets for such a trade?

1. Rakell in Anaheim is cheap, so he's always going to be a target for a team with a budget like Ottawa, but he's a pure rental, and I don't see him moved before the deadline.
2. Butuzzi has been on the block for a while and would be considered a type of player Dorion would be interested in. He's also young enough to fit with the rest of the core.
3. Labanc is apparently on the block but he's got three years and two of them are expensive. He's also regressed quite a bit, but so have the rest of the Sharks. Also, the Sharks really aren't in a position to trade wingers right now.
4. Tarasenko? Not with that contract
5. Debrusk: Right age, right term, and with Hall in Boston, I can see him still on the block. Expensive though, given his struggles.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Calgary needs a 3rd team in the trade much more than the other two, and Lindholm would be the best fit we could get from the any of them.
Lindholm would be a great potential winger for Eichel in Calgary, you would think that they would want to hold on to him.

No idea what a Flames offer/potential 3 way trade involving the Sens and Buffalo would look like really.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You don't think adding one of the bolded helps our team?
All four would be better than Tierney, White, Logan and Pinto (in his current state)
We need a competent NHL center playing behind or ahead of Norris, and rest assured the team knows this.
No, not in a meaningful way.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Also it's hilariously bad take to say that Strome put up all those points "because he plays with elite players".
His production jumped suddenly after six years and two different teams. Not just numbers based on additional playing time or shooting percentage, his assist numbers on a per 60 minute rate both on the PP and 5v5. That is pretty much all that has jumped. Now, which is more likely:

1. He, overnight, became a better playmaker at 25.
2. He started playing beside an MVP calibre player and playing way more

I'll let other people decide if this is a "bad take"

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

Did you see the deep dive on Monahan? There's a compelling argument that he's different from the other ones.

Reactions: Duncstar

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
His production jumped suddenly after six years and two different teams. Not just numbers based on additional playing time or shooting percentage, his assist numbers on a per 60 minute rate both on the PP and 5v5. That is pretty much all that has jumped. Now, which is more likely:

1. He, overnight, became a better playmaker at 25.
2. He started playing beside an MVP calibre player and playing way more

I'll let other people decide if this is a "bad take"
Strome is a talented player, who is absolutely a product of his line mates.

Of course his production is going to be positively impacted playing alongside a top scoring Norris winner, 100+ point Hart nominee and 40g ppg Center on the PP.

He’s not going to be the same player wherever he goes, there’s a reason the Rangers aren’t very high on him, not even qualifying him last season. He’s not worth what his positively effected stats would/will have given him in salary.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Also it's hilariously bad take to say that Strome put up all those points "because he plays with elite players".

I personally would be fine taking on some of these lower tier C's. However the problem like I said before is we are going to overpay for a season or two and they will either play themselves into a big time raise or will play poorly and walk away. I have no problem buying low on some these C's that are being thrown around but if Pierre valued one year of Stepan at a 2nd rd pick, I am scared to death to see how he values Monahan, Strome, Henrique, Kadri, etc.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Go big for a RD instead. Our forward group is fine as it is considering the rebuild stage we're at (looking to fight for the playoffs).

Of course it'd be great to get Eichel but now that we have used our 3 top-42 picks in 2021, I'd rather go another route. I would have given up these 3 picks as a base for an Eichel trade but that ship has sailed.

With Eichel's neck injury, his leadership qualities being in question, being signed 5 years at 10.0 per season (what hapens after that? Our window closes?), any trade for him is quite risky. It depends on the players being asked but there's guys in the Sens organization I'm not trading at all. That's why I wanted a big part of the value we would give up to be picks. We had so many, it could have been 10th OA, 39th OA, 42nd OA, our 2nd in 2022 and a 3rd as well as we have 3. These 5 picks is pretty good value and then we wouldn't need to add a Pinto for example

I'd do Tierney + late pick for Henrique with 2 M$ retention but outside of that, any trade would have to be structured the right way to be worth it. I'm ready to upgrade Tierney if the price is reasonnable

What I don't understand is why we are not taking on AAV to "help" out another team with cap issues. We're like 10 M$ under the cap. A bit like the Coburn/Paquette trade but with better players? Maybe it's in the plans, we'll see

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
If you can't close a deal for Henrique in the next few days, the focus should shift to making a huge push for Tyler Bozak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad