Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If Hogberg becomes the #1 goalie next yr this team is in big trouble & as a young goalie he is going to get torpedoed in net night after night. I don't think Nilsson is a future #1 goalie for this team & is simply a transition piece & if they trade him at the deadline Ottawa will be left with two rookies in net. Nilsson will be in his last yr of his contract & who knows if they have any plans to re-sign him. The goalie situation aside from them having a lot of them is tenuous at best with no clear #1 & no clear #1 in their future prospects either.

If the team is going to suck next yr anyway, I don't see why they shouldn't be looking to acquire more assets especially for players not in their future plans. Anderson would be a good mentor for any young goalie, who can come into a game to clam things down & stop the bleeding. The other alternative would be to sign a UFA goalie to basically do what Anderson could do or keep Nilsson which IMO is basically the same thing. I'd like to see them get another asset myself.

I think Hogberg played really well in his appearances last year. Still lots of tests to pass but lets see if he can. Daccord had a good first year in Belleville. Soogard and Mandolese have some potential.. Gustavsson has to be better. We have to hope Hogberg can own the net for a bit though. We could lose Daccord in expansion but for next year we should be good with Hogberg and Nilsson imo.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I think Hogberg played really well in his appearances last year. Still lots of tests to pass but lets see if he can. Daccord had a good first year in Belleville. Soogard and Mandolese have some potential.. Gustavsson has to be better. We have to hope Hogberg can own the net for a bit though. We could lose Daccord in expansion but for next year we should be good with Hogberg and Nilsson imo.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think Hogberg has terrible fundamentals. He had a nice run last year, but the way he plays isn't sustainable. He's always scrambling, and even when he makes saves, doesn't look comfortable. Reminds me a lot of Hammond.

Reactions: Sweatred

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Getting a 6th round pick for Anders Nilsson is not worth putting up with Craig Anderson's bullshit for another season. It's enough. He should have been put out to pasture years ago.

Also - what do you do if you lose Hogberg on waivers because you signed a 40 year old sieve? Hogberg will be 26+ on opening night next season, that isn't young. Not really. Time to find out whether he can play or not.

The ideal solution is probably just to move past all the junk and just acquire a legit goalie.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't know about anyone else, but I think Hogberg has terrible fundamentals. He had a nice run last year, but the way he plays isn't sustainable. He's always scrambling, and even when he makes saves, doesn't look comfortable. Reminds me a lot of Hammond.
Hammond was really spaghetti in nets. I am not a goalie expert. I usually subscribe to the stop the puck school of goal tending. I never noticed that Hogberg lacked the fundamentals so I will take your word for it. Could very well be. Hammond I noticed but he usually looked like he was in total desperation.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If Hogberg becomes the #1 goalie next yr this team is in big trouble & as a young goalie he is going to get torpedoed in net night after night. I don't think Nilsson is a future #1 goalie for this team & is simply a transition piece & if they trade him at the deadline Ottawa will be left with two rookies in net. Nilsson will be in his last yr of his contract & who knows if they have any plans to re-sign him. The goalie situation aside from them having a lot of them is tenuous at best with no clear #1 & no clear #1 in their future prospects either.

If the team is going to suck next yr anyway, I don't see why they shouldn't be looking to acquire more assets especially for players not in their future plans. Anderson would be a good mentor for any young goalie, who can come into a game to clam things down & stop the bleeding. The other alternative would be to sign a UFA goalie to basically do what Anderson could do or keep Nilsson which IMO is basically the same thing. I'd like to see them get another asset myself.
How so? Hogberg performed pretty well last year behind a team that was worse than next seasons team should be, and he is getting up there in age for a goalie prospect. Let him sink or swim and move on if he sinks. Lets see what we have.

I do hear what you're saying on Nilsson being nothing but fodder, that's very true, but he's going to be worth like a late round pick at best and that isn't worth putting up with Anderson stinking the ice up for the 4th year in a row.

Craig Anderson is expired and isn't going to be a good mentor when the goalie he's mentoring watches him go out there and hurt the team night after night. It's just flat out time to stop donating money to the Craig Anderson bank account foundation. He has done nothing but hurt this team for 3 years running. Enough is enough.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
... or Hasek. :sarcasm:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ott: PK Subban
NJ: Bobby Ryan

both need a change of scenery. Both have 2 years on their contract. Ryan at $7.25 and PK at $9.

PK is owed $6 million SB and Ryan is owed $2. After the signing bonuses are paid for 20/21 PK is owed for remainder of his contract $10 million and Ryan is owed $13 million - a savings for Eugene if $3 million over two years and he gets a bigger name who can promote the team.

NJ could even retain money and come away with cap savings.

Ryan gets cleared out to make space for the kids, PK is in at RD for 2 years to transition Thomson and JBD.

works for everyone.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

both need a change of scenery. Both have 2 years on their contract. Ryan at $7.25 and PK at $9.

PK is owed $6 million SB and Ryan is owed $2. After the signing bonuses are paid for 20/21 PK is owed for remainder of his contract $10 million and Ryan is owed $13 million - a savings for Eugene if $3 million over two years and he gets a bigger name who can promote the team.

Ryan gets cleared out to make space for the kids, PK is in at RD for 2 years to transition Thomson and JBD.

works for everyone.

I suggested something either similar or the same a while back, i think the response at the time was that NJ would be selling way too low on subban and we would need to add on a piece or two. Which frankly depending on the piece I would consider

Reactions: Tuna99

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

works for everyone.

I wouldn't mind this. Maybe with Subban's current offseason workout plus being back in Canada where he played his best hockey, it could rejuvenate him.

Reactions: Tuna99

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I wouldn't mind this. Maybe with Subban's current offseason workout plus being back in Canada where he played his best hockey, it could rejuvenate him.

Im sure moving to small town Canada and giving away more money to the Canadian government would really inspire him. Lindsay would probably love crushing Camp Fortune and we would get the old 2010 PK.

I thought there was a NJ connection in Ryan’s past ... not sure he would want to go there ? May feel like punishment for both players.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

works for everyone.

No thanks.

I suspect Bobby adds to the room and that PK will distract from it

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

It's not next yr that concerns me, it's the yr after when Nilsson's contract is up & the future of this team in net.

Getting a 6th round pick for Anders Nilsson is not worth putting up with Craig Anderson's bullshit for another season. It's enough. He should have been put out to pasture years ago.

Also - what do you do if you lose Hogberg on waivers because you signed a 40 year old sieve? Hogberg will be 26+ on opening night next season, that isn't young. Not really. Time to find out whether he can play or not.

The ideal solution is probably just to move past all the junk and just acquire a legit goalie.

There is a legit #1 goalie prospect in this yr's draft.

works for everyone.

I don't mind this but what do you do with Zaitsev who has quite a few yrs left on his contract?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's not next yr that concerns me, it's the yr after when Nilsson's contract is up & the future of this team in net.
So you want Anderson for another year beyond next year? Anderson would not be an answer for that imo.

We will have to see how they do in 20/21 whenever that occurs and as well see how the prospects do. Robin Lehner would interest me if we wanted to be proactive

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I don't mind this but what do you do with Zaitsev who has quite a few yrs left on his contract?

i think PK plays the 20/21 season in Ottawa and gets traded the following year at the deadline: I’d say perfect transition time for JBD and Thomson and Zatsez just keeps playing hockey

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

works for everyone.
Call me crazy but I'd rather see what Ryan can do now that he's sober and taking care of himself.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He’s got back problems. I’m not sure if he can be effective. I’d rather just keep Ryan.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So you want Anderson for another year beyond next year? Anderson would not be an answer for that imo.

We will have to see how they do in 20/21 whenever that occurs and as well see how the prospects do. Robin Lehner would interest me if we wanted to be proactive
I think Lehrer resigns in Vegas.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

We don’t need to worry about goaltending right now. By the time we are competitive we should have an idea if we need to add there. It’s not hard to get a decent starter with all our assets in 3 years.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Im sure moving to small town Canada and giving away more money to the Canadian government would really inspire him. Lindsay would probably love crushing Camp Fortune and we would get the old 2010 PK.

I thought there was a NJ connection in Ryan’s past ... not sure he would want to go there ? May feel like punishment for both players.
Ottawa is a great city, you should stop running it down. Jersey ain’t Tampa or Vegas.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Ottawa is a great city, you should stop running it down. Jersey ain’t Tampa or Vegas.
Jersey is right across the river from NYC. Ottawa is right across the river from Gatineau. Enough said!

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Me too. Subban wouldn't be viewed as a problem if he were white.

I doubt that's the case when unfortunately it's often an assumption made simply because of the color of his skin. Many NHLers are black and do not get nearly the same amount of critique as Subban. If it was simply because he was black it would be the same for other guys like Simmonds, Reaves, Dumba, and etc. There have been players that have spoken about Subban and how he is in the room and for some reason that is ommitted, any other player would be hated for doing the things that he does.

Mike Ribeiro, Guillaume Latendresse and Maxime Lapierre spoke about that on their podcast a couple weeks ago, saying that when he was with the Habs Subban was basically running his little show in the room. The context of the discussion was that Ribeiro played with both Subban and Weber, and he was mentionning that he knew at the time of the trade that it would be a mistake for Nashville as Weber was very respected in the room in Nashville while Subban wasn't getting the same type of respect from his teammates in Montreal. Subban never fit in Nashville and was then traded.

Another player that spoke about this was Brandon Prust on spittin chicklets and mentionned an incident with Subban in Montreal. Subban at that point was becoming a "leader" in Montreal and the team was going on a roadtrip through Florida. Subban told his teammates that no one should go to Miami and they would have a team dinner/evening after the game which is basically team bonding. When the game finished, PK left for Miami after telling all his teammates that they needed to stay for the team bonding. Prust knew Subban was leaving regardless of what he was saying to his other teammates and took his shoes in his bag and hid them. Subban then fought Prust in the team bus a couple weeks later when they confronted because of it. Prust is an idiot, the point is that Subban being supposedly a leader on that team and asking all his teammates to be there at the team bonding and himself not being there and leaving for Miami is idiotic. If one of my teammates did that I would be furious, especially as a so called leader.

Not only that, but Subban fought with many teammates throughout his career, and not necessarily guys that were known to be assholes either. Subban fought with Plekanec, Mathieu Darche, and Loui Leblanc at the Habs practice. On a separate occasion, he fought against David Desharnais at practice.

After Subban was traded to Nashville, there as also visibly tension between Subban and Gallagher who had also already fought in practice. Gallagher mentionned that he didn't notice Subban smiling that night, but noticed the blood on his face after Gallaghers goal.

So I mean you can totally omit these things if you want, but that's not a fair assessment. It doesn't make sense to say that he's hated because he's black. Many other black players do not do these type of things and basically all of them are very well respected by all players. It seems to be a personality thing more than anything. There are plenty of hated white players as well, and it's not because of the color of their skin. Subban was probably one of the most loved Montreal Canadiens ever. Mike Hoffman is apparently a hated guy in the room as well and there are many others.

NOW, there are some racist hockey fans and players, just like there are racists in society in general. Subban is probably hated by some people because of his color, but no other black hockey player is hated even remotely close to the point that he is and there's a reason for that.

Last edited:

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
No thanks to Subban. Would rather give a young guy a chance. Also would like to see what Ryan can do healthy. He's clearly well liked in the room from what I can tell, keep him.

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad