Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 PART IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The whole idea was to upgrade our centre ice position. Moving Turris for D help would have been crazy.
It would have seemed crazy, but the defense was obviously a pressing need if any success was to be had. I think we can all agree that a team is going nowhere with Ceci and Phaneuf as their top pair.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Thankfully we moved Turris ... this team can’t afford $17 million of Ryan, White, and Turris.
Trading Turris a t the TDL would have been an acceptable solution. Likely would have got a 1st for him. Since they decided to rebuild shortly after giving up what turns out to be our 2019 top 4 pick, adding another 1st would have gone over much better for the rebuild. Sens certainly are not in a financial bind with White and Ryan now. Ryan will be coming off at the end of 21/22 freeing up more $. White has to improve to make the contract palatable everyone knows that. Getting physically stronger and improving his shot/release , both things that he should be able to do, will go a long way toward evening it out a little more. Development is not linear. Let's hope he takes another jump this year when ever that is. I would like to see the team package Brannstrom while his value is still perceived to be high to get a quality top 4 D with some size and runway.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It would have seemed crazy, but the defense was obviously a pressing need if any success was to be had. I think we can all agree that a team is going nowhere with Ceci and Phaneuf as their top pair.
Tierney/Pageau/Smith/White in 2017/18 is not a pretty centre ice depth chart that screams playoffs.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Tierney/Pageau/Smith/White in 2017/18 is not a pretty centre ice depth chart that screams playoffs.
Yes, neither center ice nor the defense was good enough to make noise that year. If Turris weren't the main chip for acquiring someone, that muddies the picture.

Reactions: Sweatred

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I've been thinking about the possibility of bringing in Lundqvist or Rinne. They are owed 4.5 and 4m in real salary, respectively, and you have to think the cost of adding them would be almost nothing - they might even come with a sweetener.

With uncertainty regarding Nilsson's health, I'd love to bring in an experienced & accomplished professional tender to usher us through the season. Who knows - maybe they will see a small return to form. If not, either of the big Nordic tendies would be a great mentor for Hogberg.

Personally, I would be much more interested in Rinne; he has only really had one bad season (and last yrs playoffs) and I just generally have always liked him more than Hank. I would take either guy, though, assuming the price was negligible.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I've been thinking about the possibility of bringing in Lundqvist or Rinne. They are owed 4.5 and 4m in real salary, respectively, and you have to think the cost of adding them would be almost nothing - they might even come with a sweetener.

With uncertainty regarding Nilsson's health, I'd love to bring in an experienced & accomplished professional tender to usher us through the season. Who knows - maybe they will see a small return to form. If not, either of the big Nordic tendies would be a great mentor for Hogberg.

Personally, I would be much more interested in Rinne; he has only really had one bad season (and last yrs playoffs) and I just generally have always liked him more than Hank. I would take either guy, though, assuming the price was negligible.

No offense to us, but theres just no way King Hank of New York comes to Ottawa. Just not happening. The Sens are a rebuilding team and he deserves to either retire with the Rangers, or to go to a legit playoff team and maybe take one more stab at it.

The Rangers just wouldn't do something so cruel to a player that's done so much for them, at least not against his own free will (again with all due respect to us). And for a potential HHoF goalie chasing his cup ring, how can the Sens possibly look like an enticing situation?

Reactions: variable26

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
No offense to us, but theres just no way King Hank of New York comes to Ottawa. Just not happening. The Sens are a rebuilding team and he deserves to either retire with the Rangers, or to go to a legit playoff team and maybe take one more stab at it.

The Rangers just wouldn't do something so cruel to a player that's done so much for them, at least not against his own free will (again with all due respect to us). And for a potential HHoF goalie chasing his cup ring, how can the Sens possibly look like an enticing situation?

For a team chasing the cup, how can adding a 7m caphit, 38y.o goalie who has been over 3.00gaa and around .905svp be an enticing situation?

I entirely see what you're saying, but stranger things have happened. IF Henrik wants to play, he will have very slim pickings.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
For a team chasing the cup, how can adding a 7m caphit, 38y.o goalie who has been over 3.00gaa and around .905svp be an enticing situation?

I entirely see what you're saying, but stranger things have happened. IF Henrik wants to play, he will have very slim pickings.

Totally get what your saying. But I'm fairly sure the Rangers will just honor his contract and let him go out with the honor of being a life time Ranger.

It would just be so unclassy for them to dump him on a rebuilding team imo. So unless hes all on board for joining a totally green team that's very likely going to get peppered most nights, and lose many games - then a sulking and unmotivated Hank is probably the last thing we need around the locker room at this point.

If he wanted to be a Senator though, I would flip my lid and go and buy his jersey the day he signed off on it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hank was awful in the 17 playoff series against us he's been not great ever since. The last thing a young team needs is crappy goaltending. We're better off with what we've got.

Agreed. If Hank wanted a Cup that badly, he should've jumped to a contender 3 or 4 seasons ago.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Trading Turris a t the TDL would have been an acceptable solution. Likely would have got a 1st for him. Since they decided to rebuild shortly after giving up what turns out to be our 2019 top 4 pick, adding another 1st would have gone over much better for the rebuild. Sens certainly are not in a financial bind with White and Ryan now. Ryan will be coming off at the end of 21/22 freeing up more $. White has to improve to make the contract palatable everyone knows that. Getting physically stronger and improving his shot/release , both things that he should be able to do, will go a long way toward evening it out a little more. Development is not linear. Let's hope he takes another jump this year when ever that is. I would like to see the team package Brannstrom while his value is still perceived to be high to get a quality top 4 D with some size and runway.

That assumes a lot of things In your revisionist history. KT’s play was plummeting and who knows if the Sens were in playoff race. If they don't trade Turris they either extend him which would be a nightmare or lose him for nothing.

Did you object to the MD acquisition ? I’m sure we can go back and look it up.

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
That assumes a lot of things In your revisionist history. KT’s play was plummeting and who knows if the Sens were in playoff race. If they don't trade Turris they either extend him which would be a nightmare or lose him for nothing.

Trading Turris at the deadline would have nuked the chain of events that led us to drafting 3rd and 5th overall in the upcoming draft.

Reactions: Sweatred

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Actually i think this is a bit of revisionism. Went Turris went to Nashville he was really solid for them. Points wise it might have been one of the best stretches of his career. He crashed pretty hard after those initial 25 games and his game has never really recovered.

I thought the Turris / Duchene trade was a good move and that Duchene was a decent upgrade. 25 games later we were toast. The real wonder for me is had that deal not happened and Turris posted in ottawa that strong 25 game stretch... then what? We might have been in the playoffs or on the bubble faced with either extending Turris - a contractual disaster as it turns out - or trading him while still in it - a fan disaster. There's no way we wouldn't have either moved him or signed him by the deadline

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Actually i think this is a bit of revisionism. Went Turris went to Nashville he was really solid for them. Points wise it might have been one of the best stretches of his career. He crashed pretty hard after those initial 25 games and his game has never really recovered.

I thought the Turris / Duchene trade was a good move and that Duchene was a decent upgrade. 25 games later we were toast. The real wonder for me is had that deal not happened and Turris posted in ottawa that strong 25 game stretch... then what? We might have been in the playoffs or on the bubble faced with either extending Turris - a contractual disaster as it turns out - or trading him while still in it - a fan disaster. There's no way we wouldn't have either moved him or signed him by the deadline

I agree with your view ... I always wondered how much the Sens management was predicting a decline in Turris’ play. They definitely sold high on Turris. 6 months later he represents negative value and would cost assets to move.

I sorta believe PD saw it coming with his body type, regular looks in practice etc. That may be to generous but we don’t really know. Either way I’m glad we’re not tied to what Julie wanted.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

5 goals and 13 assists in 25 games is on par, at least in terms of PPG, with what he produced almost every year in Ottawa. Solid, but probably not one of the best stretches of his career. Definitely crashed hard afterwards.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
5 goals and 13 assists in 25 games is on par, at least in terms of PPG, with what he produced almost every year in Ottawa. Solid, but probably not one of the best stretches of his career. Definitely crashed hard afterwards.

Well that projects to 59 points. Maybe it was 20 games. I recall him starting very strong and the board being littered with comparisons between his and Duchene's productivity which was strongly in Turris favour until we were out of it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

To be fair, he was doing that as a 2nd line center, where as in Ottawa he was mostly used as a 1st line center, once Spezza got traded he was the guy.

In terms of crashing hard, thats true, 17 pts in hist first 20 games with nsh followed by 8 pts in the final 25 games leading into the trade deadline. Funny enough, post trade deadline he was fine with 17 pts in his last 20 games.

Might have been tough to get good value from him at the deadlin with that stat line, but it's impossible to know if he would have had the same ups and downs had he stuck around in Ottawa.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
To be fair, he was doing that as a 2nd line center, where as in Ottawa he was mostly used as a 1st line center, once Spezza got traded he was the guy.

In terms of crashing hard, thats true, 17 pts in hist first 20 games with nsh followed by 8 pts in the final 25 games leading into the trade deadline. Funny enough, post trade deadline he was fine with 17 pts in his last 20 games.

Might have been tough to get good value from him at the deadlin with that stat line, but it's impossible to know if he would have had the same ups and downs had he stuck around in Ottawa.

Turris has always played through pain as well. We've seen in the past , his production drop off while playing hurt. Also could be a factor .. If we held on to him, umpteen things could have happened before the TDL... Maybe they resign him at a more team friendly number , but it did really seem that Dorion wanted to move him... now that could be and likely was all tied up with acquiring Duchene. I think the team goes south with or without Turris and being that they made the decision to rebuild after just acquiring Duchene and giving up a 1st, they no doubt make that same decision if the deal was not made. Turris would be a gonner more than likely.

Reactions: Gesus

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Turris has always played through pain as well. We've seen in the past , his production drop off while playing hurt. Also could be a factor .. If we held on to him, umpteen things could have happened before the TDL... Maybe they resign him at a more team friendly number , but it did really seem that Dorion wanted to move him... now that could be and likely was all tied up with acquiring Duchene. I think the team goes south with or without Turris and being that they made the decision to rebuild after just acquiring Duchene and giving up a 1st, they no doubt make that same decision if the deal was not made. Turris would be a gonner more than likely.

Turris wasn’t interested in a team friendly deal - he and Julie made that very clear.

It took $36 million in Nashville, all bonus money, to secure Turris. Who knows what that equals in Ottawa money (Canadian Taxes) but it isn’t less.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it makes more sense to just re-sign Anderson for next season for $1 mil & trade Nilsson at the deadline who I think has more value than Anderson at this time rather than sign or trade for another over the hill goalie. That is, if anyone would want Nilsson at the deadline & this way you get something in return hopefully that can help your rebuild. Give Nilsson as many soft games as possible to increase his value at the deadline which should keep Anderson fresh as well.

I doubt the team is going very far next season anyway so it doesn't really matter who is in net between Anderson & Nilsson unless you are trying to get more value from whichever one is tradable at the deadline. Bring up Hogberg if one gets injured & after the deadline to take over the #1 duties to see if he can handle it at the NHL level. This would also allow them to move one of their prospect goalies (Gustavsson or Sogaard) at the draft in a package to acquire another pick or move up in the draft order at some point.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think it makes more sense to just re-sign Anderson for next season for $1 mil & trade Nilsson at the deadline who I think has more value than Anderson at this time rather than sign or trade for another over the hill goalie. That is, if anyone would want Nilsson at the deadline & this way you get something in return hopefully that can help your rebuild. Give Nilsson as many soft games as possible to increase his value at the deadline which should keep Anderson fresh as well.

I doubt the team is going very far next season anyway so it doesn't really matter who is in net between Anderson & Nilsson unless you are trying to get more value from whichever one is tradable at the deadline. Bring up Hogberg if one gets injured & after the deadline to take over the #1 duties to see if he can handle it at the NHL level. This would also allow them to move one of their prospect goalies (Gustavsson or Sogaard) at the draft in a package to acquire another pick or move up in the draft order at some point.
We all deserve a little excitement for the future in net and I think it's important to roll with Hogberg next season as part of the youth movement. Lets see what he's got and give him the games. He was clearly the best of the 3 last year.

Anderson is just going to sink the team further than he already has if we bring him back for anything but a clear backup role. I see no reason to go down any road with Anderson again unless the goal is to simply give him more money he won't earn.

If the choice is between Nilsson and Anderson, sure who cares, neither matters going forward, but I doubt any trade return for Nilsson at the deadline is worth burying Hogberg and possibly taking too many games from the guys already in Belleville. I'm just as skeptical about the value of goalie prospects in trade as Nilsson's value.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We all deserve a little excitement for the future in net and I think it's important to roll with Hogberg next season as part of the youth movement. Lets see what he's got and give him the games. He was clearly the best of the 3 last year.

Anderson is just going to sink the team further than he already has if we bring him back for anything but a clear backup role. I see no reason to go down any road with Anderson again unless the goal is to simply give him more money he won't earn.

If the choice is between Nilsson and Anderson, sure who cares, neither matters going forward, but I doubt any trade return for Nilsson at the deadline is worth burying Hogberg and possibly taking too many games from the guys already in Belleville. I'm just as skeptical about the value of goalie prospects in trade as Nilsson's value.

If Hogberg becomes the #1 goalie next yr this team is in big trouble & as a young goalie he is going to get torpedoed in net night after night. I don't think Nilsson is a future #1 goalie for this team & is simply a transition piece & if they trade him at the deadline Ottawa will be left with two rookies in net. Nilsson will be in his last yr of his contract & who knows if they have any plans to re-sign him. The goalie situation aside from them having a lot of them is tenuous at best with no clear #1 & no clear #1 in their future prospects either.

If the team is going to suck next yr anyway, I don't see why they shouldn't be looking to acquire more assets especially for players not in their future plans. Anderson would be a good mentor for any young goalie, who can come into a game to clam things down & stop the bleeding. The other alternative would be to sign a UFA goalie to basically do what Anderson could do or keep Nilsson which IMO is basically the same thing. I'd like to see them get another asset myself.

Reactions: NB613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad