Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
McDavid is a tank commander as well isn't he?

McDavid is a Captain and has shown loyalty to a program and is considered the best talent in the NHL so I don’t know why you’d compare these 2 players.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
McDavid is a Captain and has shown loyalty to a program and is considered the best talent in the NHL so I don’t know why you’d compare these 2 players.
Just using the exact same method as you, and I quote:

I just look at what team do when he’s there and to me, it’s a massive concern.

I'm just looking at what the team is doing while he's there, and to me it's a massive concern...

Sound stupid?

Reactions: h2owned

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We should all be the biggest Duchene cheerleaders in the league. The last thing the Sens need is for CBJ to miss the playoffs. The pick won't be much higher if they miss, and he's probably not going to stay with a CBJ team that loses Panarin+Bobrovsky and shows no forward progression.

That changes if they win the lottery, because then they'll obviously keep the pick and give us an unprotected 2020 pick as a rebuilding squad, but the lottery odds for a team that will almost certainly be picking in one of the last non-playoff spots are incredibly low, something like 1 in 100.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Obviously "grain of salt", but for those familiar, Kevin Lee is a pretty big Sens "super fan" on Twitter. I know that sounds silly, but he's well known in the Sens "fan community".

Similar to what we heard from Friedman.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Just using the exact same method as you, and I quote:

I'm just looking at what the team is doing while he's there, and to me it's a massive concern...

Sound stupid?

Let’s agree that you’re a Duchene fan and I think he comes with massive concerns to your program and locker room.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We should all be the biggest Duchene cheerleaders in the league. The last thing the Sens need is for CBJ to miss the playoffs. The pick won't be much higher if they miss, and he's probably not going to stay with a CBJ team that loses Panarin+Bobrovsky and shows no forward progression.

That changes if they win the lottery, because then they'll obviously keep the pick and give us an unprotected 2020 pick as a rebuilding squad, but the lottery odds for a team that will almost certainly be picking in one of the last non-playoff spots are incredibly low, something like 1 in 100.

I’m cheering for them to crash and us draft around 15. I’d rather get a player in the system this year then wait until next year

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Let’s agree that you’re a Duchene fan and I think he comes with massive concerns to your program and locker room.
Not a Duchene fan in the slightest, and was against the trade from the start. I do realise he's not the reason the team tanked though. I'm just stating that the logic you're using is awful.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not a Duchene fan in the slightest, and was against the trade from the start. I do realise he's not the reason the team tanked though. I'm just stating that the logic you're using is awful.

I was also against the Duchene trade so we agree on something.

Let’s see what he does in CLB, I don’t think they make the playoffs and I don’t think he resigns and I think he’ll be considered a player to be cautious of this summer because to me hes quickly trending to the Olli Jokinen of the NHL

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
The best is Columbus miss the playoff and win the 4 or 5 pick. I don t think Duchene sign with Columbus if he made the playoff

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Obviously "grain of salt", but for those familiar, Kevin Lee is a pretty big Sens "super fan" on Twitter. I know that sounds silly, but he's well known in the Sens "fan community".

Adds a lot of salt to a very fresh wound.

A NMC being the difference between "ok, things are bad but we kept Stone!" and "this is a catastrophe on a level that we haven't seen in a decade" is just depressing.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The best is Columbus miss the playoff and win the 4 or 5 pick. I don t think Duchene sign with Columbus if he made the playoff

The lottery doesn't work like that anymore I believe. Every team that misses the playoffs gets a shot at picks 1 through 3, no more "winning the lottery moves you up a pre-defined number of spots".

If Columbus wins any of the three lottery picks, the pick gets pushed back.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

So they were seriously thinking of Hossa-ing him (likely not right away, but soon enough for it to be a problem). If true, it speaks to a masssive amount of distrust between players and ownership/management.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
The lottery doesn't work like that anymore I believe. Every team that misses the playoffs gets a shot at picks 1 through 3, no more "winning the lottery moves you up a pre-defined number of spots".

Ha ok it s new this year

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So they were seriously thinking of Hossa-ing him (likely not right away, but soon enough for it to be a problem). If true, it speaks to a masssive amount of distrust between players and ownership/management.

Disagree that it definitely means they were trying to Hossa him.

I think they just wanted to keep their options. If the team is still in the tank 3 to 4 years from now, they could have traded him then.

The tweet states "full term". They probably were ok with partial NMC that likely went away as he got older.

If it was the other way around, an NMC that kicks in later, then yeah, that's a no-go cause he could have gotten Subban'd.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009

Yea, I think this is still the best scenario (unless making the playoffs gets Duchene to sign there instead of anywhere besides Ottawa ;) ). Assuming the top3 pick does not help them a lot next year it is possible they miss again next year and I think next year's draft is supposed to be strong. I don't think they miss though, their lineup is very strong.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yea, I think this is still the best scenario (unless making the playoffs gets Duchene to sign there instead of anywhere besides Ottawa ;) ). Assuming the top3 pick does not help them a lot next year it is possible they miss again next year and I think next year's draft is supposed to be strong. I don't think they miss though, their lineup is very strong.

We got White at 21 and Chabot at 18 (I think it was 18).

I'm not too worried about where the pick ends up, we'll get a good prospect.

Reactions: Sensators

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No I think last year. Carolina moved up 9 spots.

They did this after TMurr openly tanked for McJesus and made the Sabres into a toxic swamp that they are still trying to clean up.

At least they have an owner who isn't afraid of spending to improve things.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I’m cheering for them to crash and us draft around 15. I’d rather get a player in the system this year then wait until next year

The point is, we are likely to get a fairly similar player at 15 as we do at 18 or 19 which is where they'll almost certainly pick if they make the playoffs and don't make the conference final.

The upside of getting 18 or 19 instead of 15 is that Duchene is more likely to re-sign there, which gives us another 1st which in a worst case scenario is probably another mid round pick.

I'd rather take 19 in 2019 and an unprotected CBJ 2020 1st than 15 in 2019 and no unprotected 1st.

I agree that there's value in getting a prospect a year earlier, but I'd also rather take CBJ's unprotected 2020 1st (via them having to exercise their 2019 protection after winning the lottery in 2019) with Duchene/Panarin/Bobrovsky leaving than I'd take 15th overall a year earlier.

Reactions: Duncstar and Tuna99

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Lottery only gives them pick 1, 2, or 3. All of which are protected.

There are only about 17 or 18 games of the season left for most teams. Columbus already has 75 points.

To put that 75 points into perspective, a team with 75 points would have picked 7th based on last year's standings pre-lottery. Standings differ year to year, but the point is, even if CBJ loses every single game remaining, we're at best getting a pick in the low top 10 ball park, not anything near top 4 or 5.

That would still be a great pick, but again it would require CBJ losing every game which is incredibly unlikely. Looking at how the standings have clustered, the absolutely best pick we'll get is about 10th overall and that would require every other team behind CBJ catching up on a 7+ point gap. CBJ is 5 points ahead the next worst non playoff team and they have a game in hand, there's a huge gap. If they miss the playoffs, odds are the pick is in the same ballpark as if they make the playoffs. There's pretty much no upside for the Senators if CBJ misses compared to the upside of CBJ making it and being able to convince Duchene to stay.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

The sticking point was melnyk. You know? The giant a hole in the room

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I find it a little strange that both Dallas and Columbus gave up conditional 1st round picks this year if they end up signing the players they traded for. If your Columbus and Panarin and Bobrovski walk, do you even bother offering Duchene a contract if it means you have to give up another 1st round pick that's unprotected when your team is a fringe playoff team that just got worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad