Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

We should trade for him after July 1st... he has an 8-team trade list but I feel like he will be open to moving anywhere where he will have a bigger role.

He will carry a 6mil cap hit for the next two years but will only be owed 5mil over the next two season (1m in 2019-2020, 4m (3m bonus 1m salary) in 2020-2021)

I bet we could get a very solid asset on top of him or maybe swap Smith for him and a lesser asset.... He's likely not more than a 3rd/4th liner but he's a consummate pro and would be a nice veteran add

We will likely be trading for a veteran with a bad contract to both get to the cap floor and to try to acquire an asset. Other than David Backes, the other options are milan lucic, corey perry, andrew ladd, dustin brown and James neal.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
We will likely be trading for a veteran with a bad contract to both get to the cap floor and to try to acquire an asset. Other than David Backes, the other options are milan lucic, corey perry, andrew ladd, dustin brown and James neal.

Dustin Brown is having a solid season.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
And Puljujarvi has negative value.

"Player value" is a meaningless concept used in a vacuum.
Pulijujarvi doesn't have negative value. That's something reserved for guys on bad contracts or who make too much like Ceci or Smith or Lucic or Ryan. Pulijujarvi isn't saddled with a terrible contract. He's low value, not negative value.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
So we're going to hire a cheap, french canadian coach? The more things change the more they stay the same :laugh:

In all honesty though, short of going out and getting Quenneville guys like Ducharme, Vincent and Groulx seem like fine options.

Have been kind of selling myself on Gronborg since the rumours came out though. Seems like the type of anti-establishment move that could benefit a team like the Senators when it comes to market inefficiencies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think everybody could have predicted we'd hire a cheaper coach. That either means little to no NHL experience, or NHL experience but hasn't been a head coach in a decade or two.....

It would be strange if we were specifically looking for a French coach. I think that might just be a case where TVA is reporting in the French coaches similar to the rumour that a Swedish channel reported on Gronborg.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Dustin Brown isn't a cap dump. He would be for us, but from everything that has come from the Kings org and Kings fans he's a guy they would like to hold onto through their re-tool. He doesn't belong in the same group as Backes, Lucic, Perry, Ladd, ect.

Reactions: Daffy

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
People are down on Pool party because he's having double hip surgery.

images

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
So we're going to hire a cheap, french canadian coach? The more things change the more they stay the same :laugh:

In all honesty though, short of going out and getting Quenneville guys like Ducharme, Vincent and Groulx seem like fine options.

Have been kind of selling myself on Gronborg since the rumours came out though. Seems like the type of anti-establishment move that could benefit a team like the Senators when it comes to market inefficiencies.

I think it has more to do with the number of coaches potentially available being French Canadian rather than a pre requisite. If it were the case though I’d be pissed. We aren’t Montreal and it would be a grotesque use of favouritism while eliminating potentially better options. I’m on board with Grönborg too.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I would have been fine with throwing a late 1st (or our 32nd pick) at Puljujarvi in the hope that he turns it around and starts living up to his draft position, but after double hip surgery I think his value is probably more akin to Filatov/Yakupov than Turris/Connolly.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Grönbörg then try and get as many swedes as possible
Swedish NHL Players ‑ 2018-2019 Stats

And add the anthem singer please

I'd buy season tickets

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Well, we certainly aren't going to be hiring an NHL-proven coach, that much is for sure.

A few of us here have discussed the idea of going all-Euro on the hockey ops side - if we're going to be cheap, at least do it smartly and take advantage of market inneficiencies. If the rest of the NHL are going to continue to stigmatize European hockey management, and as a result they can be hired for pennies on the dollar compared to a North American equivalent, that's a failure we can exploit.

I'd love it if we went with a European not just as coach, but GM as well. Draft a bunch of European kids, and embrace the cultures of the European hockey power countries - make this a desirable destination for SOMEONE who might actually want to play here in the future. I mean, wouldn't it be a HELL of a sales pitch for Swedish NHLers?

And besides all of that, Grönborg has earned a chance at the NHL, as far as I'm concerned. He's won at every level, is a fantastic communicator, he is known for developing young players and managing older ones... I'd be totally fine to give him that chance.

“You’d rotate four lines until there was 10 minutes left and then go down to three lines and then you go down to two lines the last two minutes. …In Sweden, it was very common to have four very even lines.”

Nightmares of Boucher resurface.

Why Rikard Grönborg could be NHL's first European head coach since 2001 - Sportsnet.ca

I don't know much about him but hopefully he can adapt to the North American playing style. Many tactics that work on the larger ice surfaces in Europe simply don't work over here. The lack of time and space and the overall physicality change the tactics as well. The article says he has some NCAA coaching experience and his wife is American so that should mitigate those concerns I mentioned.

Aside from that, I have some skepticism about some of your other comments. There isn't anything magical about being European. Coaches, GM's and players should still be evaluated individually regardless of where they are from. Generally I think your argument is sound but I am concerned that some might interpret it the wrong way. Yes there might be undiscovered or undervalued players, coaching and management talent over in Europe but at the same time not all players, coaches and managers from Europe are good. I sometimes see this issue when fans talk about European players, they see the star Europeans in the NHL and then make the false conclusion that European players are more likely to be stars or at least more skilled on average than North American players. They don't factor in all of the European players that can't hack it in either the AHL or NHL.

Players, coaches and managers should be evaluated individually. You likely already understand this and it might be self evident so this response might be for other posters.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I would have been fine with throwing a late 1st (or our 32nd pick) at Puljujarvi in the hope that he turns it around and starts living up to his draft position, but after double hip surgery I think his value is probably more akin to Filatov/Yakupov than Turris/Connolly.

Given that Jarmo Kekalainen passed on him in the draft that might be an indication of whether he will pan out or not. Magnus Paajarvi was taken 10th overall in 2009 and he is a 4th liner on the worst team in the league now. Maybe Puljiujarvi will be better but we should be cautious about giving up assets for him.

Reactions: topshelf15

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'll take a bad RD over a bust with busted hips.
Depends on your cap situation though. If you're a competitive team, it'd be very hard to accomadate 4.35M for a 5/6 D. That money will generally be much better spent elsewhere. Even in Ottawa's situation I'd argue that money would be better spent elsewhere. We can get creative with it like taking cap dumps from other teams, signing guys like White to Turris like deals. Sign Nilsson, buy out Anderson, pursue some European FAs etc etc.

Which brings me to my point, Ottawa will not qualify Ceci and he will be a UFA because of that cap hit, he won't cost anything to whoever will pick him up. Pulijujarvi might be worth a gamble at cost of Filatov for a lot of teams, more than a 4.35M 5/6 guy. He's cheap in salary and as an asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad