Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: The "We Still Need a Dman" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Our only choice is to healthy scratch him a few games and let him play his way back up. Let him rebuild his value and then ship him off for an upgrade.

It's a longshot that another team falls for it. I guess we'll see.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Not sure which team is going to possibly take on Fayne and his contract. 3.625 million for 2 more seasons after this. Why would anyone do that? Oilers are stuck with him.

The Oilers are pretty much hooped in terms of roster flexibility right now. Purcell, Nikitin, and Scrivens all come off the books next season, so that's when Chiarelli can make a few more moves, but what you see is what you get with this team for the most part right now.

I don't see any team dumb enough to take Ference/Fayne and their contracts.

The team will have about 11 million dollars in extra space to improve the back end next year just with those 3 players coming off of the books. If Schultz gets moved (could totally see it) then that's another 3.9 Gryba might not be back - another 1.3

So the Oilers will have a lot more options next season and Fayne can then sit in the pressbox as dead salary at that point I guess.

Fayne is fine in his role. A #4 defensive D-man who is decent in his own zone. Problem being, we need him to be more than that and he's struggling.

It's a matter of fit, and Fayne doesn't. Not in this backend. The guy played tough minutes in NJ well, and for a bottom 4 D-man in the NHL, his salary isn't outrageous.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I have not seen him play this year, but he's got a history of being horrific defensively. I think he'd be a brutal fit in Edmonton.

Ya, despite our lack of scoring from the backend, a steady defensive guy is more important imo. With Sekera, Schultz, Klefa, and Nurse, we won't have problems scoring soon. We do need a guy to come in and log big minutes keeping the puck out of our net though

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Fayne is fine in his role. A #4 defensive D-man who is decent in his own zone. Problem being, we need him to be more than that and he's struggling.

It's a matter of fit, and Fayne doesn't. Not in this backend. The guy played tough minutes in NJ well, and for a bottom 4 D-man in the NHL, his salary isn't outrageous.

He doesn't look like a #4. They've been playing him as a bottom pairing guy pretty much since day one this year, and he's look anemic. I don't think this is what New Jersey was getting out of him.

It seems like some of the vets on this team gave up really early, and its the young guys dragging them along.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ya, despite our lack of scoring from the backend, a steady defensive guy is more important imo. With Sekera, Schultz, Klefa, and Nurse, we won't have problems scoring soon. We do need a guy to come in and log big minutes keeping the puck out of our net though

Reinhart's gotta be one of those guys.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Hasn't he been playing as a #4 this year though? He just seems lost out there this season no matter where is in the lineup. Not sure, I'd have to see some comparisons in TOI/Zone starts etc to know for sure.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
That's unfair to Gordon. Lander's made several mistakes this season that have led directly to goals. Gordon didn't make flashy plays, but he rarely made defensive gaffs that cost the team goals.

Still like to see Lander without Purcell for once. Purcell should be on waivers like ASAP.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Reinhart's gotta be one of those guys.

Reinhart won't ever be a big scorer though, which is why I didn't mention him in terms of offense from the blueline. Reinhart in his prime is exactly the type of player we need right now. A big, shutdown dman, who's still competent with the puck.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Still like to see Lander without Purcell for once. Purcell should be on waivers like ASAP.

I have to think Chiarelli is burning up the phone lines trying to get rid of Purcell and to a lesser extent Fayne.

Either Slepyshev or Pakarinen are perfectly fine replacements for ol' Teddy.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Reinhart won't ever be a big scorer though, which is why I didn't mention him in terms of offense from the blueline. Reinhart in his prime is exactly the type of player we need right now. A big, shutdown dman, who's still competent with the puck.

Its no accident that Gryba's looked worse every game without him.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
I have to think Chiarelli is burning up the phone lines trying to get rid of Purcell and to a lesser extent Fayne.

Either Slepyshev or Pakarinen are perfectly fine replacements for ol' Teddy.

Like to see line sometime this season.
Drai - Lander - Slep/Pak

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Teddy Purcell. 2 points and a -6 after 11 games. He has the 6th most icetime out of our forwards. Given #1 PP time. Guy is useless. I hope he's in the PB real soon.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
teddy purcell. 2 points and a -6 after 11 games. He has the 6th most icetime out of our forwards. Given #1 pp time. Guy is useless. I hope he's in the pb real soon.

size man. Softest 6-2 player in the league. Both Fayne and Purcell are the cancer in the Oilers roster.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I think we have expendable offense right now. Once Eberle is back, we could roll:
Hall - Nuge - Draisaitl
Pouliot - McDavid - Yakupov
Slepyshev - Lander - Eberle
Korpikoski - Letestu - Klinkhammer

A team like Anaheim might be interested in picking up Eberle. They need a player like him, and have some defensive pieces we could use. Eberle for Vatanen + or Eberle + for Fowler?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think we have expendable offense right now. Once Eberle is back, we could roll:
Hall - Nuge - Draisaitl

A team like Anaheim might be interested in picking up Eberle. They need a player like him, and have some defensive pieces we could use. Eberle for Vatanen + or Eberle + for Fowler?

The Oilers need Eberle. Draisaitl hasn't proven enough in my mind to make Eberle expendable.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Hall - Nuge - Draisaitl

Oilers are still in the bottom half in GF/G so I wouldn't say the team has expendable offense in any way.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Sather has to get his name in the banners somehow.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=775191

The Edmonton Oilers announced today they will be raising a banner in Rexall Place to salute the achievements of legendary coach, general manager and executive Glen Sather.

Fans attending the Edmonton Oilers December 11, 2015 game versus the New York Rangers will be part of a special night, as the Oilers welcome back Sather and honour his leadership that resulted in five Stanley Cup Championships for the organization.

:yo:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Teddy Purcell. 2 points and a -6 after 11 games. He has the 6th most icetime out of our forwards. Given #1 PP time. Guy is useless. I hope he's in the PB real soon.

Awful. As maligned as Lander has been he's at least winning faceoffs and aside from a few glaring instances had been doing his job defensively, while carting Purcell's sorry butt around.

I really, honestly can't think of one aspect of Purcell's game that would get him more than a C- in my book.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
The Oilers need Eberle. Draisaitl hasn't proven enough in my mind to make Eberle expendable.
I suppose I was thinking of more of a TDL deal if Draisaitl continues to get better. I'd rather have more quality defenders than wingers tbh.
Oilers are still in the bottom half in GF/G so I wouldn't say the team has expendable offense in any way.

Probably true, but I think incompetent defense contributes a lot to that. Nurse, in two games, has 2 points and has sparked our offense. We need another piece on the blueline who can generate offense.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

We would have twice the goals if we had a capable defence of breaking out of our zone. See what happens on the 2-3 times per game that our D makes a nice pass out of the zone? We score. Or come damn close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad